Post your food recipes here! Official Audioholics Cookbook

itschris

itschris

That is true.... I am not sure how I would rig that up on the Weber. I would have to keep the lid closed, and with the dome lid it would be tough to rig it up. I know all the gas grills have it now, but I really like charcoal. Rotisserie cooked anytthing over charcoal would be good. I need to look into this.
Here you go my friend. There's a lot of guys in BBQ group who swear by their Weber kettles. Actually most of them have multiple grills and smokers, but they all love their kettle.

http://www.grillstuff.com/weber-weber-kettle-rottisserie-22-12.html?productid=1634

itschris

itschris

I found that one on a quick search, but I'll ask my friends in my group to see what they suggest.

Rotisserie cooking is a superb way to cook... actually superior to indirect for roasts and turkeys.

itschris

itschris

On the topic of grilling.... lets not forget beer can chicken. Taken to the next level, this is a fine way to good chicken. One of my favorites it carefully sperating the skin from the meat on the chicken. I then pipe in Boursin cheese and work it into every nook and cranny I can without breaking or tearing the skin. I then set it up over a half can of Sprite or 7Up. I've found that the half can heats up much faster and most times will actually be used up by the end of the cook. You can actually see the carmelization from the sugars inside the bird. It give the chicken a kinda sweet undertone.

jwenthold99

jwenthold99

Full Audioholic
Here you go my friend. There's a lot of guys in BBQ group who swear by their Weber kettles. Actually most of them have multiple grills and smokers, but they all love their kettle.

http://www.grillstuff.com/weber-weber-kettle-rottisserie-22-12.html?productid=1634
Nice.... I will have to look into that, or just steal the idea and make one in our shop :)

I found one on google as well ,stainless steel, very nice, but $320!!! I only paid $90 for my 22.5" Weber.

I think I can smell a project coming :D

Thanks for the link!

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
On the topic of grilling.... lets not forget beer can chicken. Taken to the next level, this is a fine way to good chicken. One of my favorites it carefully sperating the skin from the meat on the chicken. I then pipe in Boursin cheese and work it into every nook and cranny I can without breaking or tearing the skin. I then set it up over a half can of Sprite or 7Up. I've found that the half can heats up much faster and most times will actually be used up by the end of the cook. You can actually see the carmelization from the sugars inside the bird. It give the chicken a kinda sweet undertone.
I have done beer can chicken many of times with what we call in Canada "Tall Boys", it is just a taller version of a can of beer and the chicken fits nice and snug on it. I chug half of the beer and the rest of the can gets stuffed right into the bird. I have always done dry rubs with beer can chicken but this is a very good idea about seasoning the bird under the skin for this recipe. I have done this in the past with different compound butters but not with beer but chicken, essentially this is butter flavoured with different herbs/spices like parsely, chives, tarragon, thyme etc and stuff the compund butter under the skin like you did...great technique for beer but chicken!!!

On a different note with seafood, if you ever have fresh lobster and if you like dipping your lobster in melted butter try a taragon flavoured butter with it (chopped tarragon added to melted butter). It is one of my favorite flavour combinations with seafod, the suttle licorice/anise flavour and the saltiness of the butter with the texture of the lobster is so perfect:):D.

Last edited:
Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
sounds very nice! - We had a Seafood Thanksgiving

With all the grilling talk on here, I need to mention the prime rib I did for thanksgiving two years ago. I just wanted to something other than turkey. (which are also great brined and grilled :))

I got an 18lb prime rib, made a wet rub with fresh garlic, rosemary, and shallots, all finely chopped and mixed with olive oil, with kosher salt, cracked black pepper, and turbinado sugar. Rubbed the PR with this combo, wrapped it in saran wrap, and let it sit overnight.

Then fired up the Weber, half hardwood charcoal, half briquettes, banked on one side, and grilled the roast, 3-4 hours, turning every 30 minutes or so. I also made "smoke bombs" with hickory and oak chips with sprigs of fresh rosemary, that I threw on the coals each time I turned the roast.

It was incredible!
Yes , this last Thanksgiving we had a seafood (after I finally got approval :rolleyes:) Thanksgiving. Smoked Salmon, smoked vegetables, grilled Jumbo Shrimp, and Gumbo. And even better all the seafood was fresh off the boat in Galveston

If you guys think weber cooks good, then you need to look a Hasty Bake. By far the most outstanding cooker I have ever found! http://www.hastybake.com/

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Uhhh

Minus, chris, jwenthold...

I propose that we all meet, and execute a DBT with select participants. The beer selection for washing-down will remain the same during every A/B sampling in order to keep this test as accurate as possible. I will never leave my seat during the duration of said test as to minimize any and all variables to my sensory input. All participants, including myself, will wear a bib, large rubber gloves, and goggles that are blacked out.

I've always thought that I could blindly recognize prime rib from pulled pork, but we can toss aside all speculation and see what is what. Enough of the darned placebo effect!

A real test for the posterity of audioholics around the world. A noble cause and gesture.

What say you? :)

*burp*

jwenthold99

jwenthold99

Full Audioholic
Yes , this last Thanksgiving we had a seafood (after I finally got approval :rolleyes:) Thanksgiving. Smoked Salmon, smoked vegetables, grilled Jumbo Shrimp, and Gumbo. And even better all the seafood was fresh off the boat in Galveston

If you guys think weber cooks good, then you need to look a Hasty Bake. By far the most outstanding cooker I have ever found! http://www.hastybake.com/
i have never seen the hastybake before. it looks fascinating though, very versatile. I might have to add a second grill!

jwenthold99

jwenthold99

Full Audioholic
Minus, chris, jwenthold...

I propose that we all meet, and execute a DBT with select participants. The beer selection for washing-down will remain the same during every A/B sampling in order to keep this test as accurate as possible. I will never leave my seat during the duration of said test as to minimize any and all variables to my sensory input. All participants, including myself, will wear a bib, large rubber gloves, and goggles that are blacked out.

I've always thought that I could blindly recognize prime rib from pulled pork, but we can toss aside all speculation and see what is what. Enough of the darned placebo effect!

A real test for the posterity of audioholics around the world. A noble cause and gesture.

What say you? :)

*burp*
Sounds like and excellent idea! What is the beer selection you speak of though? I need a detailed list in order to tailor the rub to accentuate the beverages. :)

On a side note, speaking of double blind tests; If I hook up monster cable to the Weber, will it cook faster? Maybe it will create greater clarity in the beef flavor, and tighten up the bottom end of a pork butt! :rolleyes::D

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja

Mmmmmm...... I love gumbo, Cajun cooking and anything from Louisiana. This sounds very very yummy:). I have been cutting grass all day today so the only thing I have ingested today is beer and a little bit of water:). I am getting really really hungry now though.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Sounds like and excellent idea! What is the beer selection you speak of though? I need a detailed list in order to tailor the rub to accentuate the beverages. :)
I have an idea. Ever watch Iron Chef? I will volunteer to be the master of ceremonies (without giving up my spot as judge :p), dressed in black, with cape and unruly hair. The beer selection will be a surprise. When you, the select contestants, stand off against each other, I shall throw off the cover sitting on the ice bucket full of beer, and from there you must hastily fend for yourself!

On a side note, speaking of double blind tests; If I hook up monster cable to the Weber, will it cook faster? Maybe it will create greater clarity in the beef flavor, and tighten up the bottom end of a pork butt! :rolleyes::D
LOL

jwenthold99

jwenthold99

Full Audioholic
I have an idea. Ever watch Iron Chef? I will volunteer to be the master of ceremonies (without giving up my spot as judge :p), dressed in black, with cape and unruly hair. The beer selection will be a surprise. When you, the select contestants, stand off against each other, I shall throw off the cover sitting on the ice bucket full of beer, and from there you must hastily fend for yourself!

LOL
The Japanese version of that show is hilarious! Excellent idea, one hour to prepare, 12 hours to grill.... sounds like a looooong show. :)

Do we get 10 assistants as well?

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
I would post mine but Cindy McCain keeps stealing them:D

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Everyone has had shrimp cocktail before. It is an easy appetizer for a crowd of people.

Seafood Cocktail Sauce

1/2 cup of ketchup

1/4 cup of horseradish - you can grate fresh or just buy the prepared stuff in the jar. The fresh horseradish has more flavour and is much much hotter so you would need less than what is required. I like the convience of the prepared stuff and they are actually quite good.

1 shot glass full (approx 1oz) of worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon lemon juice

Couple Dashes of hot sauce

1 tablespoon of dark rum - wiskey would work well also, example jack daniels.

Combine all ingredients, stir to incorporate and refrigerate until ready to serve with shrimp.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
This is one of my favorites, but I've never quite got it perfected. This differs a bit from how I do it. I'll definately give this a try. What wine do you like to use?
Hi itschris,

We don't have it perfected either.:) We adjust recipes to what's in the house or our mood so there will never be a final version in this house...that would take the fun out of it!:cool:

We just use whatever my wife the wine drinker has in the house at the time. last time it was some local Pennsylvania wine.

That dish is nice because of how light it is if you don't use too much garlic or to harsh an onion or too heavy of a wine. Looks nice in the bowl also especially if you add some diced tomato.

SBF1

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I did a smoked prime rib on the Weber smokey mountain smker with a paste of garlic, olive oil, rosemary, oregano, parsley and basil. I used a mix of oak and pecan wood. Smoke 3-4 hours to 135 internal with a smoker at about 250 -300 degrees. Perfect medium rare.

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/drsdr/prime rib/

Sorry, the pictures are out of order.

I have both a weber kettle and the above WSM smoker. For chicken and other quick foods that don't mind temps above 300 the kettle is fine. Keeping a kettle stable below 300 for ribs and briskets is very hard since you have to open it to add coal. The WSM ($200 at amazon) handles low and slow much better and is cheaper than the green egg. I have heard a story about someone's green egg cracking but can't confirm.

Here's my brisket recipe:

This should be enough dry rub for 2 flat briskets.

3/8 cup sea salt or kosher salt
2½ Tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 Tablespoons paprika (use smoked paprika for extra heat)
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder or dry onion flakes
1½ teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon ground bay leaves (I couldn’t find that and had to chop up bay leaves)
¾ teaspoon ground coriander
¾ teaspoon ground savory
¾ teaspoon dried thyme
¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
¾ teaspoon ground white pepper
⅛ teaspoon ground cumin

Liberally cover meat with mixture and press it in. Make sure entire surface is covered. I let meat sit refrigerated in rub for ~36 hours.

I followed cooking instructions from America’s Test Kitchen, with these modifications:

WSM instead of Webber grill.
I poured 1 small starter chimney of unlit charcoal briquettes into bottom bow. Then I refilled it, lit it, and added lit charcoal on top of unlit ones. I added cherry and pecan wood chunks, 3 each.

After ~15 minutes of open burning, I assembled rest of smoker with meat, and began 3 hours of smoking at ≤ 250°. After that, I removed meat, making sure to recover WSM so that fire didn’t heat up.

Wrap meat in heavy duty aluminum foil (see America’s Test Kitchen article for how to seal meat in foil), and put it back into WSM for 3+ more hours at 250-300°.

After cooking, let meat rest inside aluminum foil for ~30 minutes.

With thanks to Jim Goode of Texas (from the book Legends of Texas BBQ), big brother Swerd, and America's Test Kitchen

itschris

itschris

The WSM is a super smoker. It's incredibly stable and there's just a ton of info on it. I'm sure you know about it already, but if some reason you don't, here is the site of sites for the WSM. I learned a lot from this site: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

I love that site. It's got all the best mods and equipment for the WSM. I went old school and got the Brinkmann Cimarron Deluxe. I always wanted a true offset smoker. It's a lot more challenging in some ways, but it's been fun.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I always wanted a true offset smoker. It's a lot more challenging in some ways, but it's been fun.
The style of smoker you have is the kind I prefer, I think you end up with a superior product over the standard style smoker. With the standard smoker it is harder to control the heat and, sometimes you can get an ashy taste to the food which just is horrible because the fire is right under neath (even though there is a water bath above the heat) as oppossed to inderect. I find you can oversmoke your food too with the standard. If you are going to invest a lot of time into smoking and want to do it quite often it is better to invest into the style like you have. The smoking rigs at the competetions are just industrial versions of yours on a more grander scale:):D.

Last edited:
Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Thanks for sharing ItsChris

The WSM is a super smoker. It's incredibly stable and there's just a ton of info on it. I'm sure you know about it already, but if some reason you don't, here is the site of sites for the WSM. I learned a lot from this site: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

I love that site. It's got all the best mods and equipment for the WSM. I went old school and got the Brinkmann Cimarron Deluxe. I always wanted a true offset smoker. It's a lot more challenging in some ways, but it's been fun.
Hey ItsChris ,thanks for sharing on you cooking experience as well as HT stuff. Cooking is my second hobby, both indoor and out, especially indirect smoking!

Again thanks ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis