Post your food recipes here! Official Audioholics Cookbook

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
See my post above. I included a link to a great coffee site that I've bought a lot of coffee from.

Have you ever cooked steak on a Big Green Egg? It's the way to go. Using real hardwood charcoal like Royal Oak Hardwood, will get the egg up to 800-900 degrees. It changes everything about cooking steak. Over at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, they cook their steaks at 1200 degrees. Heat is everything

Never cooked anything on the Big Green Egg but I have heard of them and seem them used on a cooking show once on t.v. I like my stakes rare so high heat is everything. For me a good steak is contrast. A nice sear on the outside and tender, rare and juicy in the midddle:). I always let my steak rest for about 5-10 mins (depending on the size) before I cut into it so it redistributes the juices and makes for a more juicer steak.

The hardest type cooking for me is smoking foods. It is a true art. There is no aspect of cooking that takes so much practice to get right. When it is done bad it is really bad, when it is done mediocre it still is not very good but when it is done right it is the ulitmate.

itschris

itschris

Tell me about it. It took me a six months give or take before I was finally happy with the meats I was making on the smoker. After an entire year, I'm finally getting good ribs. It's been a slow and painful process with baby backs. I finally figured out that the way I was laying them in the smoker chamber was impeding the air flow which reulted in condensation on the ribs. Once that happens, they've never actually dry and will always come out tough. I finally found some rib racks that I like and now stand them on edge and have the horizontal in the smoker which lets the smoke and heat travel across them much better. It was night and day.

On the Big Green Egg (BGE) you can cook a 2" Ribeye to total perfection in about 7-8 minutes. For me, I put the steak on a 45 degree angle, sear for 2 mintues rotate and sear for 2 minutes (to get the crosshatch pattern) , flip, sear for 2 mintutes, rotate and sear for about 1. Like you, I let it rest for about 10 minutes and it's absolutely perfect. I'm sure you do this as well, but for other who may not know, make sure your meats are room temp prior to putting the on the grill. Never never never put chilled meats on the grill. It causes toughness and uneven cooking. The only exception to that is putting them in a smoker. Smoke only penetrates at temps below 140, so chilled meats will have a tendancy to draw in more smoke flavor and that's how you get that fantastic smoke ring.

Never cooked anything on the Big Green Egg but I have heard of them and seem them used on a cooking show once on t.v. I like my stakes rare so high heat is everything. For me a good steak is contrast. A nice sear on the outside and tender, rare and juicy in the midddle:). I always let my steak rest for about 5-10 mins (depending on the size) before I cut into it so it redistributes the juices and makes for a more juicer steak.

The hardest type cooking for me is smoking foods. It is a true art. There is no aspect of cooking that takes so much practice to get right. When it is done bad it is really bad, when it is done mediocre it still is not very good but when it is done right it is the ulitmate.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Tell me about it. It took me a six months give or take before I was finally happy with the meats I was making on the smoker. After an entire year, I'm finally getting good ribs. It's been a slow and painful process with baby backs. I finally figured out that the way I was laying them in the smoker chamber was impeding the air flow which reulted in condensation on the ribs. Once that happens, they've never actually dry and will always come out tough. I finally found some rib racks that I like and now stand them on edge and have the horizontal in the smoker which lets the smoke and heat travel across them much better. It was night and day.

On the Big Green Egg (BGE) you can cook a 2" Ribeye to total perfection in about 7-8 minutes. For me, I put the steak on a 45 degree angle, sear for 2 mintues rotate and sear for 2 minutes (to get the crosshatch pattern) , flip, sear for 2 mintutes, rotate and sear for about 1. Like you, I let it rest for about 10 minutes and it's absolutely perfect. I'm sure you do this as well, but for other who may not know, make sure your meats are room temp prior to putting the on the grill. Never never never put chilled meats on the grill. It causes toughness and uneven cooking. The only exception to that is putting them in a smoker. Smoke only penetrates at temps below 140, so chilled meats will have a tendancy to draw in more smoke flavor and that's how you get that fantastic smoke ring.
That is a good point about letting your steaks get up to room temperature before cooking (as with pretty much all meat). When you smoke your ribs (pork) do you take off the membrane on the back of the ribs or do you leave it on? There are 2 school of thoughts on this but I always take that membrane off?
Pork Butt (pulled pork sandwiches) on the smoker is really good too. I enjoy the North Carolina syle BBQ sauce with it, on a nice crusty kaiser with some coleslaw and a beer. The southern United States are the masters of BBQ and smoking. I would love to go to one of those competetions down there and taste all their delights. It would be a long drive from Canada though:mad:.

Last edited:
jwenthold99

jwenthold99

Full Audioholic
Another recipe that is really good, simple too, and Healthy!

You need to watch it closely though, if the shrimp and scallops overcook, they get kind of tough. You can also heat this one up by adding more hot pepper :)

The leeks give this a really good base... I am going to try it sometime cooking the leeks and garlic in butter, I think it will make it richer.

seafood stew with leeks and garlic Bon Appétit | February 1995

Serves 2.

ingredients
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 large leeks (white and pale green parts only), halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups canned unsalted chicken broth
1/2 cup drained canned ready-cut tomatoes
1/2 cup clam juice
1/3 cup dry white wine
Pinch of cayenne pepper
6 small clams, well scrubbed
6 ounces large uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 ounces bay scallops
Snipped fresh chives
preparation
Heat oil in heavy large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add leeks and garlic. Cover and cook until leeks are very tender and beginning to turn golden, approximately 25 minutes.

Increase heat to medium-high. Mix in chicken broth, tomatoes, clam juice, wine and cayenne. Boil 2 minutes. Place clams atop leek mixture in center of skillet. Top clams with shrimp, then scallops. Season with pepper. Cover and boil until clams are just opened, about 4 minutes. Ladle stew into bowls. Sprinkle with chives and serve.

itschris

itschris

On pork ribs, I always take off the membrane. I've tried it both ways and never had satisfactory results with leaving it on. My typical method for bb's is pull the membrane, trim as needed, apply whatever rub and let sit for about an hour maybe two. I put them in the smoker for about 3 hours until they become plyable and the meat starts to pull back just a bit. I then yank them, spray them generously with apple juice or mop them if I'm feeling ambitious, and wrap the somewhat snuggly in heavy duty foil. I put them back in the smoker for another hour. I pull them out of the foil, sauce them (I usually make my own sauce or at least doctor up a good base bottle sauce like KC Masterpeice Orginal - add honey, some brown sugar, and bit of rum and simmer awhile) then put the back in the smoker for about another 30 mintutes to an hour. The one thing I learned not to do is open the chamber to check them. There's nothing going on in there so there's no reason to check. Taking them in and out is the only time the chamber is opened. I try to maintain the 225 degree, but occasional swings of 25-30 happen on the high side. I never let it drop below 200 though.

With big racks of beef ribs (Dinosaur Bones) I always leave the membrane on. For whatever reason it just seems better. I learned not to get fancy with these. Just salt and pepper and dash or two of onion powder and throw them in end up for about four or five ours. That's about it! Here's some pics:

View attachment 6096

View attachment 6097

View attachment 6098

That is a good point about letting your steaks get up to room temperature before cooking (as with pretty much all meat). When you smoke your ribs (pork) do you take off the membrane on the back of the ribs or do you leave it on? There are 2 school of thoughts on this but I always take that membrane off?
Pork Butt (pulled pork sandwiches) on the smoker is really good too. I enjoy the North Carolina syle BBQ sauce with it, on a nice crusty kaiser with some coleslaw and a beer. The southern United States are the masters of BBQ and smoking. I would love to go to one of those competetions down there and taste all their delights. It would be a long drive from Canada though:mad:.

Last edited:
Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Ribs and Bologna

Hey ItsChris interesting information about the Green Egg.

I do a lot of rib cooking also on my Hasty Bake and you are correct about not opening to look at :) I make a small charcoal fire at on end put heat deflector on (can use whole grill then) and then put some chacoal chunks on the charcoal coals. I have the fire grate set at the lowest or almost lowest setting. I like the Hasty Bake because somoking comes out excellent every time :) whatever you cook; shrimp, fish, vegtables, steak, ribs, chicken, etc.

Have you ever tried smoking Bologna? Get a 5 lb chunk unsliced. Take off the outer covering and make 1 inch cuts legthwise all around circumference. If you have never tried the taste is excellent ,especially beef Bologna. At the very last you baste with B-B-Que sauce. An Okie sort of thing. :rolleyes:

Also, have you ever used a pressure cooker to cook and tenderize the ribs then put them on the grill for 30 minutes to get the smoke favor and finish off.

Also, Beef Short ribs are pretty good just in the pressure cooker with some water nad B-B-Que sauce.

Now fro grilling steaks i like medium rare. raise fire box up all the way, hot charcoal fire, sear each side for 10 minutes with lid closed at around 550-600 degrees ( by my tmeperature gauge). I saw where the Green Egg goes to 750, very interesting.

Anyway, I concede ItsChris you are a true gourement cook among the audiophiles with MinustheBear a close second. But ItsChris, tell me the truth, did they really name the "Ruth Chris" steak houses after you ? :D

Last edited:
avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
My sister is actually a classically trained chef and has her patisserie degree as well. I have posted many of my own recipes in various threads on this forum, but none of mine match hers. The best I can do for myself is test her recipes and perhaps help her brainstorm ideas for the book she has coming out soon.

You can check out her blog here. There are quite a few recipes and it is actually featured as a favorite on aldenteblog.com which is run by Amazon.com - the blog is just a few months old.

http://hungrycravings.blogspot.com/

A recipe of my own:

Spicy Sesame Chicken:

3 whole chicken breasts - Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Canola oil for deep frying

Marinade

2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine/dry sherry
A few drops sesame oil
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vegetable oil

Mix the marinade ingredients and marinate the chicken for 20 minutes

Sauce

1/2 cup water
1 cup chicken stock
1/8 cup vinegar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon hot chili oil
2-3 tablespoons chili paste, more if desired
4 clove garlic, minced

Mix together all of the sauce ingredients. Pour them into a small sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Then turn down heat and keep warm while deep frying.

Add the marinated chicken pieces a few at a time to hot oil (350-375 degrees), and deep-fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remainder of the chicken.

Just before you are finished deep-frying, bring the sauce back up to a boil.
Place the chicken on a large platter and pour the sauce over. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with sticky (short grained sushi) rice.

jwenthold99

jwenthold99

Full Audioholic
My sister is actually a classically trained chef and has her patisserie degree as well. I have posted many of my own recipes in various threads on this forum, but none of mine match hers. The best I can do for myself is test her recipes and perhaps help her brainstorm ideas for the book she has coming out soon.

You can check out her blog here. There are quite a few recipes and it is actually featured as a favorite on aldenteblog.com which is run by Amazon.com - the blog is just a few months old.

http://hungrycravings.blogspot.com/
I checked out her blog, I love her BBQ recipes.... I think I have been inspired for this weekend!

itschris

itschris

That's funny! I wouldn't say I'm the best cook around here, I've seen some pretty fine recipes posted here and I'm sure the execution is there to match.

I've never used a pressure cooker for ribs. Once I bought the smoker and entered the 'secret world," you basically have to swear to whatever is holy that you will never boil, bake, or in any other way pre-cook anything. I have to admit, I've made some good ribs in the past the boil and grill way, but there's nothing quite like the authentic low and slow in the smoke. I think one issue with pressure cooking the ribs is that once cooked, you can't really get a good smoke ring. The smoke really can't penetrate cooked meat to influence the internal flavors of the meat. That being said, there's more than one way to skin a cat, however, and I'm sure there's more way than I will ever know how to make fine bbq.

The BGE gets extremely hot. I've maxed out my 800 degree probe before. 725-750 seems to be a very manageable temp and works well for grilling any kinda of steak. I personally love ribeye the best, but all steak works for me!

There's just something unique that happens once you get over 500 or 600 degrees. The steak gets carmelized, but it's not a burned flavor like you get at normal grilling temps. It's just different and it's awsome.

Hey ItsChirs interesting information about the Green Egg.

I do a lot of rib cooking also on my Hasty Bake and you are correct about not opening to look at :) I make a small charcoal fire at on end put heat deflector on (can use whole grill then) and then put some chacoal chunks on the charcoal coals. I have the fire grate set at the lowest or almost lowest setting. I like the Hasty Bake because somoking comes out excellent every time :) whatever you cook; shrimp, fish, vegtables, steak, ribs, chicken, etc.

Have you ever tried smoking Bologna? Get a 5 lb chunk unsliced. Take off the outer covering and make 1 inch cuts legthwise all around circumference. If you have never tried the taste is excellent ,especially beef Bologna. At the very last you baste with B-B-Que sauce. An Okie sort of thing. :rolleyes:

Also, have you ever used a pressure cooker to cook and tenderize the ribs then put them on the grill for 30 minutes to get the smoke favor and finish off.

Also, Beef Short ribs are pretty good just in the pressure cooker with some water nad B-B-Que sauce.

Now fro grilling steaks i like medium rare. raise fire box up all the way, hot charcoal fire, sear each side for 10 minutes with lid closed at around 550-600 degrees ( by my tmeperature gauge). I saw where the Green Egg goes to 750, very interesting.

Anyway, I concede ItsChirs you are a true gourement cook among the audiophiles with MinustheBear a close second. But ItsChris, tell me the truth, did they really name the "Ruth Chris" stakehouses after you ? :D

itschris

itschris

Site Saved!! That's an absolute find! Thanks for that! I think her and both have similar Brinkman smokers.

btw guys - I just want to say again that I'd like give you guys thanks but my button doesn't work most of the time. It's been an intermittent odd problem that hasn't been figured out yet by the admins.

jwenthold99

jwenthold99

Full Audioholic
With all the grilling talk on here, I need to mention the prime rib I did for thanksgiving two years ago. I just wanted to something other than turkey. (which are also great brined and grilled :))

I got an 18lb prime rib, made a wet rub with fresh garlic, rosemary, and shallots, all finely chopped and mixed with olive oil, with kosher salt, cracked black pepper, and turbinado sugar. Rubbed the PR with this combo, wrapped it in saran wrap, and let it sit overnight.

Then fired up the Weber, half hardwood charcoal, half briquettes, banked on one side, and grilled the roast, 3-4 hours, turning every 30 minutes or so. I also made "smoke bombs" with hickory and oak chips with sprigs of fresh rosemary, that I threw on the coals each time I turned the roast.

It was incredible!

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
On pork ribs, I always take off the membrane. I've tried it both ways and never had satisfactory results with leaving it on. My typical method for bb's is pull the membrane, trim as needed, apply whatever rub and let sit for about an hour maybe two. I put them in the smoker for about 3 hours until they become plyable and the meat starts to pull back just a bit. I then yank them, spray them generously with apple juice or mop them if I'm feeling ambitious, and wrap the somewhat snuggly in heavy duty foil. I put them back in the smoker for another hour. I pull them out of the foil, sauce them (I usually make my own sauce or at least doctor up a good base bottle sauce like KC Masterpeice Orginal - add honey, some brown sugar, and bit of rum and simmer awhile) then put the back in the smoker for about another 30 mintutes to an hour. The one thing I learned not to do is open the chamber to check them. There's nothing going on in there so there's no reason to check. Taking them in and out is the only time the chamber is opened. I try to maintain the 225 degree, but occasional swings of 25-30 happen on the high side. I never let it drop below 200 though.

With big racks of beef ribs (Dinosaur Bones) I always leave the membrane on. For whatever reason it just seems better. I learned not to get fancy with these. Just salt and pepper and dash or two of onion powder and throw them in end up for about four or five ours. That's about it! Here's some pics:

View attachment 6096

View attachment 6097

View attachment 6098
I like pork ribs better than beef ribs so I always buy the pork. For beef, I would do slow smoked beef brisket, depending on the size between 6-9 hours in the smoker (maybe even longer) with a southern themed dry rub. For different types of meat I prefer different types of wood chips. I always use hardwood for smoking. I like apple and cherry for pork, hickory for beef, mesquite I like for fast high heat grilling over charcoal like vegetables, burgers, hot dogs, steaks, chicken breasts, legs and drumsticks.

itschris

itschris

I have yet to make a briskit worth bragging about. It's good but not great yet. I'm getting better at it though. I got pork butt down to a science and I think my pulled pork is up there with some of the best I've tried, though if you ever get to go to a professional competition their flavor profiles are on a completely different level.

I was never a huge fan of dino bones until I learned how to do them on the smoker. They are different. You don't want them super super tender or falling off the bone (though I don't think bb's should "fall of the bone either" but should easily pull free.

There's just something special about grabbing a big beef bone and pulling off super tender flavorful meat. It's basically a prime rib lollipop.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
You don't want them super super tender or falling off the bone (though I don't think bb's should "fall of the bone either" but should easily pull free.
With the BBQ and smoking competitions in the south that is one of the criteria for a winning rib. It should be tender and pull free with ease. You should be able to pick it up with your hand without the meat falling off but when you bite into the rib, it should come clean off of the bone. If the rib is super super tender the judges consider that overcooked and would not be considered a winner.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
With all the grilling talk on here, I need to mention the prime rib I did for thanksgiving two years ago. I just wanted to something other than turkey. (which are also great brined and grilled :))

I got an 18lb prime rib, made a wet rub with fresh garlic, rosemary, and shallots, all finely chopped and mixed with olive oil, with kosher salt, cracked black pepper, and turbinado sugar. Rubbed the PR with this combo, wrapped it in saran wrap, and let it sit overnight.

Then fired up the Weber, half hardwood charcoal, half briquettes, banked on one side, and grilled the roast, 3-4 hours, turning every 30 minutes or so. I also made "smoke bombs" with hickory and oak chips with sprigs of fresh rosemary, that I threw on the coals each time I turned the roast.

It was incredible!
I am coming to your house next thanksgiving:):):eek:. Sounds delicious!:D

jwenthold99

jwenthold99

Full Audioholic
I am coming to your house next thanksgiving:):):eek:. Sounds delicious!:D
It was good :) even if I do say so myself :D We had about thirty people over, and it was popular. I don't recall hearing any comments about missing turkey....

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Rotisserie is another form of cooking meat on the BBQ and it is a little more accessable and easier than smoking IMO. Very underated way to cook meat, great for whole birds such as duck, chicken and even a whole small pig (get the fire pit and cases of beer out:eek::D). You can get a rotisserie basically on any grill these days or if you are handy you can make a contraption yourself. I love how the juices of the meat self baste themselves...my mouth is watering just thinking about a rotisserie chicken right now.

jwenthold99

jwenthold99

Full Audioholic
Rotisserie is another form of cooking meat on the BBQ and it is a little more accessable and easier than smoking IMO. Very underated way to cook meat, great for whole birds such as duck, chicken and even a whole small pig (get the fire pit and cases of beer out:eek::D). You can get a rotisserie basically on any grill these days or if you are handy you can make a contraption yourself. I love how the juices of the meat self baste themselves...my mouth is watering just thinking about a rotisserie chicken right now.
That is true.... I am not sure how I would rig that up on the Weber. I would have to keep the lid closed, and with the dome lid it would be tough to rig it up. I know all the gas grills have it now, but I really like charcoal. Rotisserie cooked anytthing over charcoal would be good. I need to look into this.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
It was good :) even if I do say so myself :D We had about thirty people over, and it was popular. I don't recall hearing any comments about missing turkey....
I bet :). That was a real treat for your guests. Prime rib is the cadallic of beef. I have had dry turkey many, many times. I like turkey better the next day where I can use it to make turkey, bacon club sandwiches with mayonnaise tomato, lettuce, cheese and even sometimes with sliced hardboiled egg or sliced avocado.

itschris

itschris

With the BBQ and smoking competitions in the south that is one of the criteria for a winning rib. It should be tender and pull free with ease. You should be able to pick it up with your hand without the meat falling off but when you bite into the rib, it should come clean off of the bone. If the rib is super super tender the judges consider that overcooked and would not be considered a winner.
Exactly! A lot of restaurants actually market "falling of the bone" but what that means is you've overcooked them and lost a good chunk of the already limited flavor of babybacks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis