Post your food recipes here! Official Audioholics Cookbook

itschris

itschris

I can't give as much back on the audio/ht stuff, so I do what I can! This has been great thread.

One quick thing with smoking or any non-gas grilling... try using hardwood lump charcoal as opposed to briquets like Kingsford and others. Creosote is a by product of the brickets which has a tendancy to impart that bitterness you sometimes get in your food that Minus was talking about.

A simple way to avoid this is using the natural lump hardwood charcoal. It burns a lot harder and has a lot less ash then say kingsford and you don't have the creosote problem. I do use briquets, but I'm very careful how I set my fire. I usually subscribe to the minion method which is pouring already well burned coals from the chimeny starter atop the fresh ones in the firebox. The theory is that the creosote is largely burned off by the fired coals. That's the theory anyway. I just find that lump is much better for my purposes. Give it a try if you haven't already. One of my BBQ buddies told me about it and I never looked back.

The one great thing about my smoker is that it's made of 1/4 inche steel like the big comp rigs, so it really retains the heat well. The downside, is like any other offset, you have a hot side by the firebox and well defines angled temp line from the bottom to the opposite end top where the smoke stack is. Temps can literally vary 20 degrees from the grate level to just 4 inches above. It was really hard to figure it out at first because there's no neat "captain wiz-bang" features to help you. It just a big metal tube with smaller metal tube churning out heat. My temps used to be all over the place. Now, I know just how much lump to start with, how long that will last, how to set the smoke stack and adjust along the way. It took quite some time to get things going the way I wanted. I ruined quite a bit of stuff until I got it right. There was one point where I made a chuck roast that was so bad, my neighbors dog just wimpered at it and turned away!

We've been talking about having a competition over at our country club. There's a couple of other guys who fancy themselves as real BBQ'rs so I think that'd be fun. They take it quite serious, so it'll be interesting to see how my stuff compares.

itschris

itschris

I attached a zip file of a spreadsheet for some of my favorite rubs. I usually alway keep these on hand. It's setup like a grid, so you can easily make all the different rubs at the same time. I've tweaked these over the years to my liking, but you can always work it to your personal tastes. If anything, just setup your own rubs on the spreadsheet. It makes it real easy.

View attachment 6101

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Salad Dressing/Marinade

Soy Sauce, Honey, Balsamic Vinegar, Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Mix to taste. It is quick and tastes awesome.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I can't give as much back on the audio/ht stuff, so I do what I can! This has been great thread.

One quick thing with smoking or any non-gas grilling... try using hardwood lump charcoal as opposed to briquets like Kingsford and others. Creosote is a by product of the brickets which has a tendancy to impart that bitterness you sometimes get in your food that Minus was talking about.

A simple way to avoid this is using the natural lump hardwood charcoal. It burns a lot harder and has a lot less ash then say kingsford and you don't have the creosote problem. I do use briquets, but I'm very careful how I set my fire. I usually subscribe to the minion method which is pouring already well burned coals from the chimeny starter atop the fresh ones in the firebox. The theory is that the creosote is largely burned off by the fired coals. That's the theory anyway. I just find that lump is much better for my purposes. Give it a try if you haven't already. One of my BBQ buddies told me about it and I never looked back.

The one great thing about my smoker is that it's made of 1/4 inche steel like the big comp rigs, so it really retains the heat well. The downside, is like any other offset, you have a hot side by the firebox and well defines angled temp line from the bottom to the opposite end top where the smoke stack is. Temps can literally vary 20 degrees from the grate level to just 4 inches above. It was really hard to figure it out at first because there's no neat "captain wiz-bang" features to help you. It just a big metal tube with smaller metal tube churning out heat. My temps used to be all over the place. Now, I know just how much lump to start with, how long that will last, how to set the smoke stack and adjust along the way. It took quite some time to get things going the way I wanted. I ruined quite a bit of stuff until I got it right. There was one point where I made a chuck roast that was so bad, my neighbors dog just wimpered at it and turned away!

We've been talking about having a competition over at our country club. There's a couple of other guys who fancy themselves as real BBQ'rs so I think that'd be fun. They take it quite serious, so it'll be interesting to see how my stuff compares.
I agree about the lump charcoal. The taste is far better. Kingsford has coal dust and clay fillers. The clay makes a lot of ash and the coal imparts that nasty taste I used to think of as the actual flavor. Lump burns hotter. Briquettes have the advantage of being more reproducible.

I have modded my WSM with garage door handles and a gromit to accept a dual probe remote thermometer so the smoker will "page" me when the meat is done or the fire gets too hot or to cold. It's a great show off toy (and useful). Got the mods from the virtual bullet website.

itschris

itschris

That's the site to know by heart when you have a WSM. I'm still thinking about getting one. Even with my large smoker, if I have two big pork butts in there, you really can't add 3-4 racks of ribs. It just impedes the air flow too much. I've often thought about getting the WSM for when I'm doing long and short smokes. It would really help, but I don't think the wifey would let me have yet another grill or smoker. We have a total of 4 now and she thinks that's plenty!

I agree about the lump charcoal. The taste is far better. Kingsford has coal dust and clay fillers. The clay makes a lot of ash and the coal imparts that nasty taste I used to think of as the actual flavor. Lump burns hotter. Briquettes have the advantage of being more reproducible.

I have modded my WSM with garage door handles and a gromit to accept a dual probe remote thermometer so the smoker will "page" me when the meat is done or the fire gets too hot or to cold. It's a great show off toy (and useful). Got the mods from the virtual bullet website.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Making homemade pizza while watching the Blue Jays Vs Yankees game

Pizza Sauce (for 1 pizza)

1 can of crushed tomatoes (if you want to get pretentious you can use the pomodoro tomoatoes but any canned tomato will work)

2 cloves of garlic minced very finely

2 tablespoons of olive oil

2 tablespoons of oregano

1 teaspoon of sugar

Optional - 1 small onion minced very finely

salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Heat olive oil in pan, add the garlic and onion and cook it until the kitchen smells of garlic approx 1 min (do not brown the garlic because it can make the sauce bitter). At this point add the crushed tomatoes, sugar, oregano and simmer over low heat until all the excess water is cooked out of the tomatoes and the sauce is thick (you do not want a watery sauce). Once the sauce is of the right consistency, taste the sauce and see if it needs any salt and pepper. It is ready to go at this point.

Pizza Dough (1 Pizza)

2 and 1/2 teaspoons of active dry yeast

1 Cup of luke warm water

1 tablespoon of honey

2 tablespoons of olive oil (vegetable oil will work as well)

1 tablespoon of salt

3 cups of all purpose flour

Directions

Measure 1 cup of luke warm water and pour into a deep bowl. Add the yeast, honey, olive oil and salt. Let this sit for 10-15 mins until the yeast becomes active. At this point add the flour and mix. If the dough feels a little wet add more flour. Over a flat surface knead the dough for approx 10 mins or until the dough becomes stiff. Again add more flour if the dough feels stiff while kneading. Place in a well oiled bowl and let the dough rise until it doubles in size. One it has doubled in size it is ready to make into pizza.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Bear, do you make the dough first? Also, should the sauce be cooled before putting on top of the dough?

Thanks!

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Bear, do you make the dough first? Also, should the sauce be cooled before putting on top of the dough?

Thanks!
I always make the dough first and while the dough is rising I do all the prep for the rest of the pizza like cutting up any vegetables and precooking any meats I put on the pizza like sausage, chicken or bacon. If you have time having the sauce cooled down to room temperature or even cold would be best but if you do not have the time to do that putting the sauce on somewhat warm should not be a big deal. Just do not put it on boiling hot, right off from the stove onto the pizza.

Last edited:
avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Pizza Dough (1 Pizza)

2 and 1/2 teaspoons of active dry yeast

1 Cup of luke warm water

1 tablespoon of honey

2 tablespoons of olive oil (vegetable oil will work as well)

1 tablespoon of salt

3 cups of all purpose flour

Directions

Measure 1 cup of luke warm water and pour into a deep bowl. Add the yeast, honey, olive oil and salt. Let this sit for 10-15 mins until the yeast becomes active. At this point add the flour and mix. If the dough feels a little wet add more flour. Over a flat surface knead the dough for approx 10 mins or until the dough becomes stiff. Again add more flour if the dough feels stiff while kneading. Place in a well oiled bowl and let the dough rise until it doubles in size. One it has doubled in size it is ready to make into pizza.
Just a couple thoughts on this recipe as dough creation is one of my favorite aspects of cooking:

1) If you wait on adding the salt to the water the yeast will activate faster and allow for more flavor development in the dough. Salt is a relatively harsh environment for yeast to grow in. This would also let your reduce the amount of yeast needed which will actually allow for a more deep, varied, flavor profile.

2) Try using King Arthur's all purpose flour for the recipe if you haven't already. Its gluten content is great for making pizza dough and bread in general.

3) Try letting the dough rise over night in the refrigerator. This slows the yeast growth further and allows for further development of flavor. If you do this prolonged method you can kneed the dough multiple times before refrigerating allowing for increased gluten build up which will allow for a fluffier/chewier dough as is indicative of a good thin crust pizza.

jwenthold99

jwenthold99

Full Audioholic
Making homemade pizza while watching the Blue Jays Vs Yankees game
Pizza is one of the few things I have not tried on the grill yet... I really need to get on that! :)

Yesterday I grilled 22 rib eye steaks for our crew at one of our jobsites. They turned out pretty good. I made a brandy-mushroom sauce beforehand, and we grilled lime/garlic marinated shrimp for an appetizer. I think the guys enjoyed it. I work for a smaller family owned company, and the owner loves good food. Once he found out I could cook, he added a full kitchen into an extra room at the office, and once a week or so I get to try out new recipes. It fun, and he buys all the ingredients, so I get to play with some nice food. Two weeks ago I made USDA prime fillets, and tried a new recipe for a green peppercorn mustard sauce. It turned out extremely well. I will post that recipe on Monday, when I get back to the office :)

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Just a couple thoughts on this recipe as dough creation is one of my favorite aspects of cooking:

1) If you wait on adding the salt to the water the yeast will activate faster and allow for more flavor development in the dough. Salt is a relatively harsh environment for yeast to grow in. This would also let your reduce the amount of yeast needed which will actually allow for a more deep, varied, flavor profile.

2) Try using King Arthur's all purpose flour for the recipe if you haven't already. Its gluten content is great for making pizza dough and bread in general.

3) Try letting the dough rise over night in the refrigerator. This slows the yeast growth further and allows for further development of flavor. If you do this prolonged method you can kneed the dough multiple times before refrigerating allowing for increased gluten build up which will allow for a fluffier/chewier dough as is indicative of a good thin crust pizza.
I have heard that salt retards the yeast, good point!. The starter I made today was alive and well after about ten mins, however it was sitting in a very warm environment. I have never tried letting pizza dough rest overnight in the fridge but I have made Brioche before and that is a step you have to take with that recipe. Leaving the Brioche dough in the fridge overnight definetly developed that fluffy and deep yeast flavour that you talked about to the Brioche.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I have had heard that salt retards the yeast, good point!. The starter I made today was alive and well after about ten mins, however it was sitting in a very warm environment. I have never tried letting pizza dough rest overnight in the fridge but I have made Brioche before and that is a step you have to take with that recipe. Leaving the Brioche dough in the fridge overnight definetly developed that fluffy and deep yeast flavour to the Brioche.
If you wait on the salt you would probably be able to get away with using 1/2-1/3 teaspoons of active dry yeast which will allow for far more flavor. The refrigeration step retards the dough's development significantly, but this retardation allows for far more complex flavors to form. It isn't a technique that should be used in all doughs, but pizza is a perfect candidate.

Ohh, I also forgot to mention my favorite toppings. Very thinly sliced* mushrooms, button works, but if you can get morels, chantrels or porcinnies they are even better. Cook the pizza and then drizzle some truffle oil on top. This 'tartufo' pizza is everyones favorite pizza after they try it. I have even converted people to mushrooms with it. One note, with a recipe such as this it is imperative that your oven is on its hottest setting and ideally you are using a seasoned pizza stone.

*If you feel your knife skills aren't up to this job use a mandoline or benriner.

My pizza dough recipe
makes 2 pies

1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
2/3 cups warm water (about 95 degrees)

Mix together and allow yeast time to activate.

1/2 lb King Aurthr's all purpose flour
.15 lb semolina
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon fine sea salt

Once yeast has activated add these ingredients and mix 3-5 minutes or until ingredients have come together. Form a tight ball of dough.

Let dough rest for about 45 minutes with a thin coating of olive oil. With slightly wet hands fold dough over 3-5 times like a sheet of paper then form a tight ball. This encourages glutens to form - do not tear the dough as this destroys those glutens. Repeat this process 4 more times. Divide the dough in two pieces and wrap in plastic wrap after forming a tight ball (allow room for the dough to grow in the wrap). Retard in refrigerator overnight.

Heat your oven to its hottest setting with pizza stone in place. Take the dough out and let rest for half an hour. Slowly stretch out the pizza dough (rectangular shapes are the easiest). If the dough is too elastic wait 5-10 minutes and try again! Rushing the process will tear the dough and harm the final result. The skin should be very thin with a slight lip around the edges. I recommend doing this on parchment (not wax) paper. This makes life easy when transferring the dough to and from the oven as you can leave it on this paper and it won't burn, just make sure there are no edges greater than 1.5" sticking out around the pizza crust.

Add about 1.5 tablespoons of sauce recipe that follows per crust and spread evenly (no sauce is used in the tartufo previously discussed). More will result in a wet/soggy pizza. I add a three cheese blend of fresh mozzerella about 3 large rounds placed on the pizza and a mix of shredded Parmesan Reggiano and Pecorino Romano. The mozerrella adds a creamy texture and the parm adds a smooth nutty flavor while the Romano gives some bite. Add any other ingredients, but be sparing - too much will result in a soggy pizza. Place in oven until golden brown and cheese is melty, 10-15 minutes. Wait 3-5 minutes then cut and serve.

Sauce recipe

28 oz high quality ground tomatoes (San Marzano)
1/3 tsp basil
1/3 tsp parsley
1/3 tsp oregano
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp fresh chopped garlic

Mix everything together and let sit overnight.

I realize this is an incredibly intensive recipe, but don't let it deter you. This will be the best thin crust pizza you have ever had presuming you do everything right ;). It is ultra thin, crisp and full of flavor! Also, when I make this recipe I typically multiply the dough recipe 4 times over and ensure there are plenty of leftovers for the week.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
To get fresh morels for myself is tough. Do you use the dry morels and re-constitute in hot water? I have a tiny little bottle of white truffle oil in the fridge...good stuff, I especially like it drizzled over scrambeled eggs.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
To get fresh morels for myself is tough. Do you use the dry and re-constitute in hot water? I have a tiny little bottle of white truffle oil in the fridge...good stuff, I especially like it drizzled over scrambeled eggs.
I only get such rare fresh mushrooms when I visit my sister in the Northwest and we go picking. Other times I use fresh button mushrooms. Reconstituted won't work because they will leak the liquid out on the pizza and cause it to be soggy. The reason the fresh mushrooms must be sliced so thinly is for the same reason, if they are too thick they will not roast properly and add liquid to the pizza.

Another great use for truffle oil is in mashed potatoes with a good steak, or on french fries, or popcorn (though I typically use truffle salt for that). A good quiche is another spot for such a great oil.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Arrggg, you guys are killing me with all this talk of tasty pizza! The homemade pizza recipes look soooo good, but I'm going to be lazy and eat my left-over Digiorno for lunch. BTW, the Ultimate Supreme is actually quite tasty, especially the mushrooms.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Arrggg, you guys are killing me with all this talk of tasty pizza! The homemade pizza recipes look soooo good, but I'm going to be lazy and eat my left-over Digiorno for lunch. BTW, the Ultimate Supreme is actually quite tasty, especially the mushrooms.
Agreed, there are some grocery store pizza's which are very good. When you can get them some on sale they are a very good buy for the money.

itschris

itschris

We have Publix grocery stores here in FL that are famous for their bakeries. I usually buy my pizza dough from them. I got on this kick that I wanted to make bread, serious artisan bread. I spent months, bought all kinds of crap to do it, and yes, I eventually got a couple of decent loafs out of the process. But then I sat and thought about it. It'd take me all day and each loaf cost a ridiculous amount of money and was really no better at all than what I could get from the bakers at Publix.

It's one of those things that I gave up on and took the easy way on, though it's a lot of fun to do. My latest pizza goal it trying to toss it effectively. I'm getting better but I'm not very good yet.

I make pizza on the grill quite often. Sometimes when we have people over, especially in fall when it cool out... we'll all hang out by the pool. I set up a topping station and give everyone a bowl and let them fill it with their toppings and that what I make their custom pizza with. On the gas grill, I usually get a bit of smoke going with just some soaked wood chips (I've using the Jack Daniels chips from their barrels for years). I keep one side of the grill on hot the other on low sometimes off. I put the personal size pizza maybe two at a time on a heavey duty cookie sheet on the low side with the lid shut to sorda bake it good (i'll usually turn that low burner off after a few minutes so as not to burn the bottom). Once the cheese melts and starts to brown I'll ove it over to the high side, taking the pizza off the sheet and putting right on the grate to get the down nice and crusty. I've tried it all sorts of way, but everyone seems to like that method best.

itschris

itschris

I've totally got that pizza receipe saved. I think we'll give that a try tomorrow night.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I only get such rare fresh mushrooms when I visit my sister in the Northwest and we go picking. Other times I use fresh button mushrooms.
Hi Andrew,
Wild mushroom picking is a real art. How did you learn what to safely pick, and eat?
Thanks,
Rick

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Hi Andrew,
Wild mushroom picking is a real art. How did you learn what to safely pick, and eat?
Thanks,
Rick
The first rule of mushroom picking is if you cannot identify it don't eat it. Plain and simple. I have actually thrown away a 4lb porcine (yes it ended up being a real one) because we weren't 100% sure.

Having a familiarity with the specific species that you are looking for is useful, books with quality pictures are a good source. Also, knowing the environment they grow in as well as the 'impostors' and their differences help. For example, with morell mushroom there is an impostor that looks exactly the same except for one small difference the inner portion is not hollow as is with the real thing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis