How much do you invested in cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Well I for one believe in speaker break-in. I came to this realization after hearing the Totem Dreamcatcher. One pair was brand new out of box and other had a ton of hours on it as it was the pair the dealer used to demo. Going back and forth between them they definitely sounded different. Brand new ones were bright and harsh compared to the other ones.

Same thing with my friend's B&W 685. Brand new out of box super bright and now after 4 months not so much anymore and now I can actually sit down and listem to them for longer periods of time.

Brett A

Brett A

Audioholic
I am curious to see what others have invested into their cables.
I am still in process, but I have spent about $300 to hook up a $4000 two-channel system (integrated, CD player and two speakers). Still need to buy a good pair of bi-wire speaker cables which I hope to do for under $300 used.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am still in process, but I have spent about $300 to hook up a $4000 two-channel system (integrated, CD player and two speakers). Still need to buy a good pair of bi-wire speaker cables which I hope to do for under $300 used.
If you aren't using external amplification, biwiring from one pair of channels isn't going to add anything to your listening pleasure.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Yes, it will.
Can you expand on this statement. What differences do you hear?

How can just bypassing the internal crossover add anything to the sound quality? I admit it looks cool but outside of that I have yet to read an article from an engineer or personally hear any difference in sound quality from bi-wiring.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Please explain?
No one in the subjectivist camp can as all experiences within it are based one one thing - bias*. This is why this debate will rage on forever. As long as ignorance reigns and people refuse to educate themselves bias will be introduced into amplification/wire etc..testing and they will sound different.

At the same time someone who comes with fact backing them drawn from credible research will be scoffed at because of this ignorance.

*See anecdotal evidence.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Oh god,i gotta think ive spent around $1,000 total in all the cables ive bought new but i do have a lot of them,now if i totaled up all the freebie cables ive acquired it'd be pretty freaking huge :eek:.

Since this thread's allready been hijacked past the point of no return i'll add my 2 cents on the cable issue,ive got a ton of cables including some seriously expensive stuff that i dont talk about here,not that im ashamed of owning them but it's a non issue with me,i got them free with used gear i bought & i keep them because selling used cables is not my favorite thing to undrtake,way too many qeestions from buyers & way too much headache for me.

Anyhow about hearing a difference,ive said this before on this site too,i have heard differences with different cables in my systems,the differences i heard were not dependant on tube or solid state & were heard with both type systems,what i did hear was very slight differences in the overall tone of the music,for the record i'll say very slight one more time,so slight it was like tiny adjustments of a tone control,being that any difference i heard was so slight it became a non issue with me.

As for power cords i own a few different kinds but i run Krell power cords on my amps & Monster on everything else,i cant hear a difference between the high performance cords & the $1 power cords that come with Mcintosh gear,i run them simply because the stock PC's were cheap,flimsy & crappy lookin.

On a side note i do think some of you guy's need to put the fangs away,just because AH was founded on truth in audio does not mean that every last thread that mentions something high end needs to turn into this,especially when the thread had nothing to do with hearing a difference in anything,this thread was not about hearing anything.

Thanks to those who held their composure.

Matt34

Matt34

I experience a deeper sound stage with bi-wiring. (Please note my careful use of words such as "I experience"):)
Thus improving my listening pleasure.
See that would be my problem, if I were to bi-wire and did experience a difference I would instinctively think my ears and head where playing tricks on me. I would want some kind of verification (hard science) to tell me it's just not something I perceived because I knew the variables changed.

I guess I'm just a very skeptical person.

Brett A

Brett A

Audioholic
On a side note i do think some of you guy's need to put the fangs away

Thanks to those who held their composure.
That's good to hear. I wandered in here from the other hi-fi sites I frequent. I've been surprised at the dogged determination of some of the folks here to deny others their experience and to belittle. I still have to say It's been a fun visit.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
I call troll for this thread...can you pick a topic on this forum that would have more people with serious differences in views that will never be reconciled? This has to be in the top 5 or top 10 of contested topics...
I disagree on picking the topic,where did the OP ever ask anything about any difference being heard with different cables,the OP did not start the controversy.

I agree on trolling but i dont agree that it was Chad doing the trolling,i know this person & the last thing i'd call him is a troll,he's a hobbiest that enjoys our shared hobby.

The trolling starts the same way every time,cables are just the most recent,the catch words are Levinson,Krell,Mcintosh,Turntable,Tubes,Cables ect,the mere mention of any of these words reel's em in like a lake trout,then the thread ultimately sinks to the standard responses ,where guys say no matter how rich they were they'd never buy whatever is being discussed because X is a better value over Y:rolleyes:.

If the mere mention of something a person dissagree's with compels them to hijack a thread thats my definition of a troll,notice how most of the responses had nothing to do with the thread title.

It's gotten like watching a bunch of school yard bullies take these threads over .

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
Those do look pretty nice and that braided wrap would make the cables look significantly larger and more "powerful" ;)

itschris

itschris

I understand your analogy, but at least with the Ferrari you get increased (and proven to be so) performance vs. a regular car...not so with cables. It is at least an extravagance that results in a measurable performance gains. But, to each their own. I won't waste my money on something that doesn't measurably improve something-be it speaker wire, or anything else for that matter.
I get that, but I'm sure you've something just for the sake of having it... for no other good reason than because you thought it slick.

Brett A

Brett A

Audioholic
See that would be my problem, if I were to bi-wire and did experience a difference I would instinctively think my ears and head where playing tricks on me. I would want some kind of verification (hard science) to tell me it's just not something I perceived because I knew the variables changed.

I guess I'm just a very skeptical person.
I can understand that. I somehow don't have that need. Part of what makes this such a rich hobby in my opinion is the art aspect (of tuning a system).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis