How much do you invested in cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I've probably got a few hundred dollars worth of Monster this and that from ebay. That was before I discovered AH and started following the opinions of skeptical people. Many of these skeptics know more than I do. They have like read research papers and such. There has even been talk of DBT'ing and Placebo Effect. To put it in a nut shell, I suspect my ears don't know my a$$ from a hole in the ground.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've found that when I first change a cable there is a noticeable difference in sound. Unfortuneately, it seems to only be because I am listening more intently. After switching back and forth several times I've consistently realized I really can't tell any difference at all between well made interconnects - none.

To those who have the proverbial "golden ear" I offer my best wishes and hope you enjoy the 'sound' of your multi-thousand dollar interconnects.

Jack

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I've found that when I first change a cable there is a noticeable difference in sound. Unfortuneately, it seems to only be because I am listening more intently. After switching back and forth several times I've consistently realized I really can't tell any difference at all between well made interconnects - none.

To those who have the proverbial "golden ear" I offer my best wishes and hope you enjoy the 'sound' of your multi-thousand dollar interconnects.

Jack
This is problem the more often case. You get those shiney new "danceable" cables (I can't stop using that word) that invoke a proverbial foot tapping sensation (just more fun) you are listening closer and hear things you didn't notice before because you weren't listening for anything different.:)

itschris

itschris

For me... I don't really care if they make all that much difference. Do you need a $450K Ferrari 599 F1 Fiorano to go to the store to get a gallon of milk... or anywhere else for that fact? No... of course. It's a pride of ownership thing because you place value on that item and you have the extra money to do so. I have maybe close to $1k probably somewhat less in total for cables. I think they're cool. I'm one of the guys who like to see a big fat cables connected to my speaker because I think it looks cool. No other reason really.

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
I understand your analogy, but at least with the Ferrari you get increased (and proven to be so) performance vs. a regular car...not so with cables. It is at least an extravagance that results in a measurable performance gains. But, to each their own. I won't waste my money on something that doesn't measurably improve something-be it speaker wire, or anything else for that matter.

no. 5

no. 5

I think they're cool. I'm one of the guys who like to see a big fat cables connected to my speaker because I think it looks cool. No other reason really.
No shame in that, if a cable is going to be visible, I find one that looks good (that's why I bought the AQ's). It makes me mad that really good looking cables are often also really expensive cables, but if I had truckloads of money...

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
And do you also happen to use their "battery powered" Everest cables from AudioQuest? Not saying they don't look nice-but I would run away laughing at a speaker wire company that used batteries in their cables...

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
My two cents

I use common cables from Monoprice and Wallmart. I probably have 20 x $5 or $100 total invested. I don’t have $2000 to spend on cables so it is little difference to me if there might be some subtle sonic improvement. If I had $2000 extra dollars, I would spend it on higher quality speakers and I am pretty sure there would be a much more noticeable sonic improvement. I have got $2700 dollars invested in speakers now. This would put me at $4700 dollars and I am sure I could get a lot more sonic bang for the buck.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
Ok I get it, everyone follows the leader here and it is cool to be in the big line bashing the opinion of one guy, bravo. You guys feel better now?
The spirit of the thread was asking questions that others ask all the time, "what did you pay for?" If you guys think that budget gear and cables sound fine then thats great, I am sure later in life with age, wisdom and income many here will change their mind. So I wish these folks well and be sure to Grow up, Learn and Earn and I will see some of you later in life, cheers

This is SuperChad signing off, "Alpha, Mike, Foxtrot"

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If I had $2000 extra dollars, I would spend it on higher quality speakers and I am pretty sure there would be a much more noticeable sonic improvement.
This is sort of what I was getting at earlier - while cables and wires do have an influence on the sound, expensive cables are NEVER going to alter the system enough that it will make your system dramatically better. At the point of thousands of dollars, putting that money into most any other area (speakers, amplification, etc...) of the system should yield a much more useful and noticeable improvement.

no. 5

no. 5

And do you also happen to use their "battery powered" Everest cables from AudioQuest? Not saying they don't look nice-but I would run away laughing at a speaker wire company that used batteries in their cables...
I guess even with unlimited funds some things are still too absurd to buy... besides, the battery make the cables look too chunky. :p

Last edited:
T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
There may have been a certain "spirit" to the thread that you intended, but good golly, think about the topic you are posting on...it could easily also be said that you were intending to get people to argue in the first place by discussing such a topic (biamping would be another for example). I know what I thought you meant-but if you fully intend to state otherwise, then I'll give you the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise I suppose...even if there does seem to be sufficient examples of the type of behavior I mentioned in the first place, whether you intended it or not.

L

landonspop

Audioholic
For me... I don't really care if they make all that much difference. Do you need a $450K Ferrari 599 F1 Fiorano to go to the store to get a gallon of milk... or anywhere else for that fact? No... of course. It's a pride of ownership thing because you place value on that item and you have the extra money to do so. I have maybe close to $1k probably somewhat less in total for cables. I think they're cool. I'm one of the guys who like to see a big fat cables connected to my speaker because I think it looks cool. No other reason really.

Cables can't get you "any"?

Is that clean enough.

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
I guess even with unlimited funds some things are still too absurd to buy... besides, the battery make the cables look too chunky. :p
Thanks for taking that in good spirits-I think those cables do look very nice. I just couldn't ever bring myself to pay for them, especially without a tangible benefit.

Matt34

Matt34

Ok I get it, everyone follows the leader here and it is cool to be in the big line bashing the opinion of one guy, bravo. You guys feel better now?
The spirit of the thread was asking questions that others ask all the time, "what did you pay for?" If you guys think that budget gear and cables sound fine then thats great, I am sure later in life with age, wisdom and income many here will change their mind. So I wish these folks well and be sure to Grow up, Learn and Earn and I will see some of you later in life, cheers

This is SuperChad signing off, "Alpha, Mike, Foxtrot"
As someone has stated eariler this site was founded on "Pursuing the Truth in Audio and Video..." It has nothing to do with jumping on the bandwagon.

Here's some light reading when you have the time.

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables

http://www.audioholics.com/education/cables/the-truth-about-interconnects-and-cables

....but what do we know, were just some young, dumb, poor schmucks.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I have maybe close to $1k probably somewhat less in total for cables. I think they're cool. I'm one of the guys who like to see a big fat cables connected to my speaker because I think it looks cool. No other reason really.
That is absolutely fine. Aesthetics is one consideration. At least you are honest with yourself and are fully aware of the reason behind your purchases rather than extolling the virues of megabuck cables due to their 'sound quality'.

This stuff is hard because there are so many competing factors. I still haven't upgraded my speakers simply because I am still looking for the best compromise between performance and aesthetics. I have quite a few Monster cables which others would criticize but I never buy the uber expensive top of the line versions and I mainly get them simply because I can just run to the local store and get them.

Most of my cables are completely out of sight so I don't really care about looks so much and I would never pay huge sums just for looks but if others do that is ok - as long as they realize they are not paying for extra performance.

Matt34

Matt34

I actually would like to find some decent looking and modestly priced speaker cables for my L/R channels as they are exposed.

no. 5

no. 5

Just one more, Seth...

Are you certain that similar responses equates to fallowing the leader? If you asked a room full of people what 4+4 is, would similar responses indicate that no one answered of their own originality?
The spirit of the thread was asking questions that others ask all the time, "what did you pay for?"
Indeed it was, and a few answered the question, but statements like:
Cables for Power, Speaker, Source, and Video ALL can and do make a diiference if you know what you are doing and anyone who simply ignores this is never going to know what most quality systems are capable of but ignorance is bliss so I say smile away.
It would be nice if the "any cable will do, just go to Home Depot" crowd would see that they have nothing relevant to add to this thread but I doubt they can keep quiet
As far as I am concerned people either have no experience with trying cables, have cheap equipment, poor set-up and position, bad rooms or an ear that cant detect changes or some hybrid of some or all of these problems or simply follow a opinion of somebody who is skeptical.
will illicit responses to the contrary - especially around here.
Thanks for taking that in good spirits-I think those cables do look very nice. I just couldn't ever bring myself to pay for them, especially without a tangible benefit.
No problem. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis