How much do you invested in cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
I disagree on picking the topic,where did the OP ever ask anything about any difference being heard with different cables,the OP did not start the controversy.

I agree on trolling but i dont agree that it was Chad doing the trolling,i know this person & the last thing i'd call him is a troll,he's a hobbiest that enjoys our shared hobby.

The trolling starts the same way every time,cables are just the most recent,the catch words are Levinson,Krell,Mcintosh,Turntable,Tubes,Cables ect,the mere mention of any of these words reel's em in like a lake trout,then the thread ultimately sinks to the standard responses ,where guys say no matter how rich they were they'd never buy whatever is being discussed because X is a better value over Y:rolleyes:.

If the mere mention of something a person dissagree's with compels them to hijack a thread thats my definition of a troll,notice how most of the responses had nothing to do with the thread title.

It's gotten like watching a bunch of school yard bullies take these threads over .
I see you don't like my opinion, fair enough. I only brought it up after reading the first page of responses and before I posted it, I even looked it up...

From Wikipedia: An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response. [1]

Whether or not it was his intention, I do not know. However, we can see the responses it provoked. It did bait several members of the community. As I said in an earlier post, if the OP wants to say that it was not his intent to get these kind of responses, I'll take their word for it-however, I still believe that there is plenty of evidence that could point the other direction. I guess it all depends on how you want to look at it. I make no claim of knowing this person personally as you do, and as such, have nothing to suggest their character or intentions in either direction other than the evidence of the responses given and what they themselves have written.

Let us not gloss over some comments that were made in the OP's orig. post that could be considered inflammatory...

"It would be nice if the "any cable will do, just go to Home Depot" crowd would see that they have nothing relevant to add to this thread but I doubt they can keep quiet, I know many feel that cables do not make any improvement and there are some questionable at best claims, prices and reviews but CABLES CAN AND DO MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE so lets hear what you use."

I would consider that baiting, but perhaps that is just me.

T

trnqk7

Full Audioholic
I get that, but I'm sure you've something just for the sake of having it... for no other good reason than because you thought it slick.

Probably, I won't deny it...nothing popping into mind right now, but that is most likely b/c I already justified it as needed to myself...nothing as expensive as a Ferrari or $1k cables though :eek:

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If the OP is a troll, well he's fishing. If he isn't a troll, he stuck a worm in the water thinking hungry fish wouldn't bite just because he said "don't bite".:D

Matt34

Matt34

There a few guys around here that have made cables that would make most high end cable manufacturers drool. (thanks Ohmen)

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=253542

Another cable organizing campany:
http://cableorganizer.com/
Here is a great tutorial for dummies like me to turn out some very looking speaker cables. I remember looking at this thread when I was deployed last time and thinking, "hell even I could do that."

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?t=17963&highlight=gotchaforce

I'm ordering that list right now.;)

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
Well I see that my thread has been dilluted into rants and band wagon chants but I will offer one last thought and that is this,
The only point of view that is dumber than those who think some cables do sound different are those who basically suggest that there are no materials, design, or implementation known to man the could possibly offer a cable that sounds different from another, only those who suffer from extreme narrow minded arrogance or the mildly retarted would insist that the latter could never be possible.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
I see you don't like my opinion, fair enough. I only brought it up after reading the first page of responses and before I posted it, I even looked it up...

From Wikipedia: An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response. [1]

Whether or not it was his intention, I do not know. However, we can see the responses it provoked. It did bait several members of the community. As I said in an earlier post, if the OP wants to say that it was not his intent to get these kind of responses, I'll take their word for it-however, I still believe that there is plenty of evidence that could point the other direction. I guess it all depends on how you want to look at it. I make no claim of knowing this person personally as you do, and as such, have nothing to suggest their character or intentions in either direction other than the evidence of the responses given and what they themselves have written.

Let us not gloss over some comments that were made in the OP's orig. post that could be considered inflammatory...

"It would be nice if the "any cable will do, just go to Home Depot" crowd would see that they have nothing relevant to add to this thread but I doubt they can keep quiet, I know many feel that cables do not make any improvement and there are some questionable at best claims, prices and reviews but CABLES CAN AND DO MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE so lets hear what you use."

I would consider that baiting, but perhaps that is just me.
Your reaching at straws but if it makes you feel better about the hijack go head,posting a disclamer right from the start asking for the usual cable thread hijackers not to respond no way constitutes a troll post,its a disclamer stating to cable trolls that he does not want them to participate if they have nothing to contribute to the question at hand,pretty simple i'd say.

Where's the baiting & who started the controversy,how is what he said baiting anything or controversial,what i read is where the guy is saying right from the start that he has zero interest in debating cables & specifically asks that if you cant contribute to the TITLE OF THE THREAD to refrain from posting,explain to me how you consider asking to keep the thread on subject baiting :confused:

Where is the contributition to the thread title?,what was the driving force that compeled so many to totally ignore the OP's question & voice veiws that had nothing to do with the thread,the driving force was compulsive hijacking,its ramapant on this site.

The thread title is "How much do you spend on cables" not lets talk bi-wiring or what are the benifits of cables or even do cables make a difference,it was not even till post #17 that anybody ever bothered to respond to the thread title,instead people took it upon themself as yet another thread to hijack.

All you guys can pick apart little things from his first post all you want to justify the hijack but it still dont change this fact,the thread was hijacked & intentionally ran right into the toilet for self serving reasons,nothing more.

Look up Thread hijacking if your unclear in the least about what constitutes a hijack,your posted wiki definition of a troll is very questionable at best weather it fits this circumstance but my post of the definition of a thread hijack is iron clad pertaining to this thread.

From wiki.

Thread hijacking in internet forum communication is the act of steering a discussion off topic by discussing a subject entirely different than the topic at hand.

While this can be an intentional act of trolling it is often accidental,caused by the participants in the thread responding to a throw away remark,thus taking the thread off on a tangent from the original subject matter.

Again for those who refuse to admit to a blatant hijack,the thread topic was (HOW MUCH),now after the thread hijack the new topic is (Cables dont make a difference)the thread was intentionally steered into where its at now by multi thousand post count members who knew EXACTLY where they intended on taking this thread & EXACTLY what the outcome would be.

Last edited by a moderator:
AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
There a few guys around here that have made cables that would make most high end cable manufacturers drool. (thanks Ohmen)

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=253542

Actually, I did make these cables for someone else. I rarely use locking banana's and I don't bi-wire any speakers in my theater, but that's what he wanted.

I never made any wild claims about the performance - it's just looks. But, you would be amazed at the feedback I got from buyers. Things like, "Smoothed out my distorted high freq.", "Image better than Monster", "Got rid of my harsh bass sound".

Nice of them to say, but it was just generic 13 gauge wire.:)

Anyway, Matt's right - anyone can make these cables.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Well I see that my thread has been dilluted into rants and band wagon chants but I will offer one last thought and that is this,
The only point of view that is dumber than those who think some cables do sound different are those who basically suggest that there are no materials, design, or implementation known to man the could possibly offer a cable that sounds different from another, only those who suffer from extreme narrow minded arrogance or the mildly retarted would insist that the latter could never be possible.
No, I never said that cables can't sound different. Let me start over. Cables "can" sound different. If a cable is engineered to sound different it is coloring or distorting the original signal. Most cables are completely transparent, as they should be. If these Boutique cables sound different it more than likely isn't a night and day difference, and if it is they might be faulty or very very intentionally sound different.

Matt34

Matt34

Actually, I did make these cables for someone else. I rarely use locking banana's and I don't bi-wire any speakers in my theater, but that's what he wanted.

I never made any wild claims about the performance - it's just looks. But, you would be amazed at the feedback I got from buyers. Things like, "Smoothed out my distorted high freq.", "Image better than Monster", "Got rid of my harsh bass sound".

Nice of them to say, but it was just generic 13 gauge wire.:)

Anyway, Matt's right - anyone can make these cables.
I just ordered everything on that thread I linked. Kinda excited about this now. Everything came out to be just over $100, I ordered a little excess of everything just to be on the safe side and enough for the center channel just for uniformity.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
hey matt,

now that there's a new ON TOPIC thread ... let's take this further off ...

im very curious about the custom cables you are going to build.

i asked BJC if they're willing to techflex their speaker wires, but if not ... you taking orders? :) (profit for you of course)

TIA

Matt34

Matt34

hey matt,

now that there's a new ON TOPIC thread ... let's take this further off ...

im very curious about the custom cables you are going to build.

i asked BJC if they're willing to techflex their speaker wires, but if not ... you taking orders? :) (profit for you of course)

TIA

LOL Mike, you better hold off on that offer, I've been known to screw up "simple" DIY stuff up on a major scale. Hence why my DIY sub still isn't finished.:eek:

I'll be sure to post up once everything and give it a go.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
No, I never said that cables can't sound different. Let me start over. Cables "can" sound different. If a cable is engineered to sound different it is coloring or distorting the original signal. Most cables are completely transparent, as they should be. If these Boutique cables sound different it more than likely isn't a night and day difference, and if it is they might be faulty or very very intentionally sound different.
So why is there an arguement? If I or anyone else chooses to pay for a cable because we like what it does for our system and you admit there are cables that sound different then why is it "Snake Oil", that term was coined from products that promised a result but did not deliver, if a cable sounds different, and you admit they can and do then there is no snake oil.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
Wow thanks for the couple of replies that were actually on topic, what a novel idea!
To cover another post in a soon to be locked thread here is the quote and my reply to once again argueing cables can and do sound different, I am paraphrasing to get to the heart of the issue......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth=L

So why is there an arguement? If I or anyone else chooses to pay for a cable because we like what it does for our system and you admit there are cables that sound different then why is it "Snake Oil", that term was coined from products that promised a result but did not deliver, if a cable sounds different, and you admit they can and do then there is no snake oil. There can now only be a belief that I may like what you consider a flawed sound which is fine, but you cant say it doesnt exist............and many here have been pushing that idea.
We dont always purchase "transparent" we purchase desired results. The CD was pushed as "Perfect Sound" and many strongly disagree with that, prefering what is considered the "flawed" sound of good old Vinyl. If you think folks like me and others here who have mailed me in support privately are weird or foolish that is fine but we are buying a real product with a real result and seeing how it is our money, our systems and for our enjoyment why cant you just shut up?
This is not directed at any one member but to all in general who choose to undermind anothers enjoyment in this and the audio hobby, I have yet to see anyone laugh at the simple, budget, poorly set-up systems many have here so why do these people choose to attack those of us who went our own way in this, isnt life too short?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Man.... I had to write a midterm today and I completely missed this thread.

Chad, I'm not insulting you, just the part of the tumor between your ears that you call a brain. :)

Until any of the people in this thread show any hard evidence (you know, proof) that they DO make an audible difference that the human ear can detect, the debate is over. Notice how the nay sayers have proof.

For me, I think I've spent a couple hundred, but I have multiple cables that are not in use, including an HDMI (18 dollars), and a 25 subwoofer cable (Monster cable, I pay for the convenience). My speakers have 12ga stranded wire with Banana's on the receiver end (again, for convenience) and my main speakers have locking banana's (vibration issues).

SheepStar

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
hmm... my cables.. free. :confused:

Then again... I've wrapped them in foil and surrounded them in ERS paper, so they should be good to go :D :D :D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I am simply saying it's possible for them to sound different, I believe many of them sound the same. Your responses are becoming more troll like, no matter how much you would like it not to be. For the record, I don't think most cables have any effect on SQ, I would say there is no difference between Acoustic Research, Monster Cable, Straightwire, or AudioQuest cables I tried before I was even skeptical. I kept asking myself, "why isn't there a difference in sound?" Now I know why, and there are DBTs to prove it (and I have performed some myself before you ask). There is no audible difference between Monster and Acoustic Research and other manufacturers I have tried, so why the price differences? That is the snake oil, and as far spending thousands on special bi-wire speaker cables and interconnects, that's just insane. With the money saved on that you could have get better speakers that would have fit your ideal sound. There is tons of BS surrounding cable making it makes perfect sense why we call it snake oil. First of all, cables are cheap to make, the markup is huge. Second, they make claims that aren't realistic or even possible. Directional cables, who comes up with that? I will tell you who, someone that knows they can sell them to batty people that have no clue. IMO, most of these cable companies are just as bad as Bose.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Seth, I gotta say, you are my Hero in this thread. Way to throw it down!

SheepStar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis