Dolby Surround & DTS Neural:X "Upmixers" on New Denon X2800 in a 5.1 System

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes -- there was a time when DTS-HD referred to a totally different codec. I remember that. Today, according to this source I mentioned, Master Audio is lumped together with "DTS-HD" and shown as such on the AVR displays. It's confusing, to be sure, but he told me that it was a decision DTS made and ultimately implemented it in firmware updates for receiver brands. So, now, when you view a film that contains a DTS Master Audio soundtrack, the front of the AVR just reads "DTS-HD."

I hate it, too.

However, I did notice, when I looked at pics of Treb's Onkyo front display he provided, that apparently some brands are still using "MSTR" at the end of the reference -- perhaps the pics Treb took were before the Onkyo did a firmware update...I don't know. But I was assured that there was some kind of changelog made to DTS' decoding algorithm wherein Master Audio soundtracks only show as "DTS-HD."

I can share his PM to me about this, from another forum, if you'd like.
I'd have to look at my avrs as to what they display. I just remember a time when there was a difference....and seems the two parts of your disc simply had some differences to trigger your avr to see it as a different codec. Did you apply an upmixer to this part of the disc and did it retain that for the next time played?

John Lohmann

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
I'd have to look at my avrs as to what they display. I just remember a time when there was a difference....and seems the two parts of your disc simply had some differences to trigger your avr to see it as a different codec. Did you apply an upmixer to this part of the disc and did it retain that for the next time played?
Have a look at what Treb said after your reply -- I believe that was the answer. It came down to sampling frequency on this Scream disc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have a look at what Treb said after your reply -- I believe that was the answer. It came down to sampling frequency on this Scream disc.
Don't see anything in between our posts....but treb knows this stuff better than most!

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
It appears this thread is older than its tenure here on Audioholics....same OP based on the "what are you listening to?" posts over there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis