Dolby Surround & DTS Neural:X "Upmixers" on New Denon X2800 in a 5.1 System

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes -- there was a time when DTS-HD referred to a totally different codec. I remember that. Today, according to this source I mentioned, Master Audio is lumped together with "DTS-HD" and shown as such on the AVR displays. It's confusing, to be sure, but he told me that it was a decision DTS made and ultimately implemented it in firmware updates for receiver brands. So, now, when you view a film that contains a DTS Master Audio soundtrack, the front of the AVR just reads "DTS-HD."

I hate it, too.

However, I did notice, when I looked at pics of Treb's Onkyo front display he provided, that apparently some brands are still using "MSTR" at the end of the reference -- perhaps the pics Treb took were before the Onkyo did a firmware update...I don't know. But I was assured that there was some kind of changelog made to DTS' decoding algorithm wherein Master Audio soundtracks only show as "DTS-HD."

I can share his PM to me about this, from another forum, if you'd like.
I'd have to look at my avrs as to what they display. I just remember a time when there was a difference....and seems the two parts of your disc simply had some differences to trigger your avr to see it as a different codec. Did you apply an upmixer to this part of the disc and did it retain that for the next time played?

John Lohmann

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
I'd have to look at my avrs as to what they display. I just remember a time when there was a difference....and seems the two parts of your disc simply had some differences to trigger your avr to see it as a different codec. Did you apply an upmixer to this part of the disc and did it retain that for the next time played?
Have a look at what Treb said after your reply -- I believe that was the answer. It came down to sampling frequency on this Scream disc.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
It appears this thread is older than its tenure here on Audioholics....same OP based on the "what are you listening to?" posts over there.

Last edited:
John Lohmann

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
Don't see anything in between our posts....but treb knows this stuff better than most!
Here was the post:

The “Scream” 1-4 blu-rays are in DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 48kHz. The DTS HD Master Audio intro is also in DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 BUT at 96kHz. DTS Neural:X does NOT work with DTS HD Master Audio above 48kHz. So, the intro is played with a straight DTS HD Master Audio decode and then the movie plays with DTS Neural:X by default.

This behavior is not exclusive to the Denon. My Onkyo does as much with the “Scream” discs. But, while DTS Neural:X is locked out during the intro, DTS Virtual:X works when the Speaker Virtualizer is ON using a 5.1 speaker configuration. Again, simply press the MOVIE button repeatedly to select a straight decode of a given signal when the “+ DSurr” or “+ Neural:X” displays get obnoxious when playing multichannel tracks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Here was the post:

The “Scream” 1-4 blu-rays are in DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 48kHz. The DTS HD Master Audio intro is also in DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 BUT at 96kHz. DTS Neural:X does NOT work with DTS HD Master Audio above 48kHz. So, the intro is played with a straight DTS HD Master Audio decode and then the movie plays with DTS Neural:X by default.

This behavior is not exclusive to the Denon. My Onkyo does as much with the “Scream” discs. But, while DTS Neural:X is locked out during the intro, DTS Virtual:X works when the Speaker Virtualizer is ON using a 5.1 speaker configuration. Again, simply press the MOVIE button repeatedly to select a straight decode of a given signal when the “+ DSurr” or “+ Neural:X” displays get obnoxious when playing multichannel tracks.
Yes, I saw that but wasn't where you said so wasn't sure what you were referring to. This just reinforces what I said....

John Lohmann

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
Yes, I saw that but wasn't where you said so wasn't sure what you were referring to. This just reinforces what I said....
Oh, I wasn't referring to looking at his reply after your LATEST reply on THIS page above -- it was going back a little based on the posting history.

What do you mean by "reinforces what you said" -- can you be a bit more specific? Because he was mentioning sampling frequencies and how this may have, for lack of a better term, confused the upmixer algorithm. I believe you mentioned "DTS-HD" being a different codec separate from DTS-HD MA.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
There are two DTS-HD codecs. One is lossy and called DTS-HD High Resolution Audio. The other is the lossless DTS-HD Master Audio. Of course, there is also plain ol’ lossy DTS which is capable of 5.1 over coax/optical and has been around for a long time and was available on laserdisc and CD before DVD and blu-ray.

If any flavor of DTS comes in at 96kHz, the DTS Neural:X up mixer cannot be selected as the Sound Mode using the X2800H. Though, if using the Speaker Virtualizer, DTS Virtual:X will be selectable as the Sound Mode.

One might see a few different Sound Mode/ Input Signal displays on different AVRs when playing a disc such as “Scream” on blu-ray as the messages and trailers switch between DD 2.0 and DD 5.1. Play the movie and the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 intro comes in at 96kHz while the movie itself comes in at 48kHz. DTS Neural: X would be disabled for the intro and return for the movie if it was the last Sound Mode used for DTS-HD Master Audio 48kHz.

John Lohmann

John Lohmann

Full Audioholic
There are two DTS-HD codecs. One is lossy and called DTS-HD High Resolution Audio. The other is the lossless DTS-HD Master Audio. Of course, there is also plain ol’ lossy DTS which is capable of 5.1 over coax/optical and has been around for a long time and was available on laserdisc and CD before DVD and blu-ray.
Correct.

If any flavor of DTS comes in at 96kHz, the DTS Neural:X up mixer cannot be selected as the Sound Mode using the X2800H. Though, if using the Speaker Virtualizer, DTS Virtual:X will be selectable as the Sound Mode.
I believe I'm getting it now, based on what you explained earlier -- I'm not using the Speaker Virtualizer, so that's probably why the Master Audio mini-demo at the start of the Scream disc didn't show as "DTSHD + Neural:X," but the feature film did. Is this a limitation of a series like the 2800?

One might see a few different Sound Mode/ Input Signal displays on different AVRs when playing a disc such as “Scream” on blu-ray as the messages and trailers switch between DD 2.0 and DD 5.1. Play the movie and the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 intro comes in at 96kHz while the movie itself comes in at 48kHz. DTS Neural: X would be disabled for the intro and return for the movie if it was the last Sound Mode used for DTS-HD Master Audio 48kHz.
Yes -- and indeed, when trailers and promos switch to 2.0 Dolby, the Denon switches to "Dolby Surround" mode, as evidenced on the front panel. All that seems to be working correctly, but at the expense (as we discussed) of the upmixer designations being attached to EVERY multichannel signal I play through the AVR (even though 5.1 tracks are supposedly not being affected by the upmixers). It seems the only way I can get 2.0 signals (whether Dolby or DTS) to engage automatically when necessary is to leave the upmixers on all the time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis