Upgrading svs pb-1000

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think I will try to rearrange my setup a bit, might get a narrower center stand. I'm looking online for end of year deals right now, and klipsch has some good ones (so it would seem). What are your thoughts on the R-34C or the RC-62 II center channel speakers? They are on sale for $199 and $179 respectively. AS for the rest, there aren't a whole lot of book shelf or tower speakers to choose from. They have the R-610F for $164 each and the RW-51M for $399 each.

Thoughts?
Imo if you’re going with Klipsch, I’d go with the RP line. They seem to have good dynamics while having also tamed the harshness of them. In the meantime, rearranging would be a great idea. What is the current XO set to? I’m assuming it’s fairly high to meet with the bookshelf speakers, but if it’s at 80, you could try 100 or 120hz. That would help bolster them until you get some more robust mains. I think new mains are in order for sure. But after the new sub I feel it would be worthwhile to save a little bit and get something better/bigger. 15’ is a fairly long distance from the speakers and a 3db loss for every doubling of distance adds up fast for small displacement(like bookshelves with a single smallish woofer) speaker. Maybe you split the difference and do one sub first, new mains and then the second sub? If you’re concerned with one seat mainly, a single sub can give good results with proper placement.

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
Imo if you’re going with Klipsch, I’d go with the RP line. They seem to have good dynamics while having also tamed the harshness of them. In the meantime, rearranging would be a great idea. What is the current XO set to? I’m assuming it’s fairly high to meet with the bookshelf speakers, but if it’s at 80, you could try 100 or 120hz. That would help bolster them until you get some more robust mains. I think new mains are in order for sure. But after the new sub I feel it would be worthwhile to save a little bit and get something better/bigger. 15’ is a fairly long distance from the speakers and a 3db loss for every doubling of distance adds up fast for small displacement(like bookshelves with a single smallish woofer) speaker. Maybe you split the difference and do one sub first, new mains and then the second sub? If you’re concerned with one seat mainly, a single sub can give good results with proper placement.
I have no idea what the XO is set at and not at home currently, but I will look when I get a chance. I have no problem getting new mains right now. I'm not an aficionado on this stuff, but I've heard of Klipsch, which is why I happened to find myself on the Klipsch website. Are you saying you would avoid the center channel deals that I mentioned? I was just looking at them in terms of value.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
No. I would definitely use a CC speaker. The HECO setup looks pretty nice and reviewed well too. Lots of people like the Klipsch RP line as they’re easy to drive and get pretty loud without sounding harsh like the R line. Also, when you order the rsl, talk to Joe about the possibility of a package deal. I own some rsl speakers and they’re great. Also, great guys to deal with.

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
No. I would definitely use a CC speaker. The HECO setup looks pretty nice and reviewed well too. Lots of people like the Klipsch RP line as they’re easy to drive and get pretty loud without sounding harsh like the R line. Also, when you order the rsl, talk to Joe about the possibility of a package deal. I own some rsl speakers and they’re great. Also, great guys to deal with.
I watched some reviews on the Heco 1000, nothing bad was said. That being said, Amazon has them flagged as a "frequently returned item." Not sure what to think about that...

As for the RSL, I've already ordered the sub online. I couldn't call to order because they are closed until Jan 1st.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I watched some reviews on the Heco 1000, nothing bad was said. That being said, Amazon has them flagged as a "frequently returned item." Not sure what to think about that...

As for the RSL, I've already ordered the sub online. I couldn't call to order because they are closed until Jan 1st.
Yeah, Amazon reviews need a healthy dose of salt lol.
Still worth a call to Joe at RSL. Even if they can’t do anything it’s free to ask!

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, Amazon reviews need a healthy dose of salt lol.
Still worth a call to Joe at RSL. Even if they can’t do anything it’s free to ask!
Will definitely make a call after the first of the year. In your opinion, would their CG3M bookshelf and CG23M center be enough for me, or would it be better to go bigger? Do they make bigger?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Lots of BS in Amazon reviews to filter often.....reason for return would be interesting, not just that they were. Could be caused by bad shipping/handling/packing.....

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
I just stopped by our local home theater store. He sells both Klipsch and Martin Logan. He might have me sold on some ML foundation bookshelves and center. I've seen a lot of good things about ML stuff.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I think I will try to rearrange my setup a bit, might get a narrower center stand. I'm looking online for end of year deals right now, and klipsch has some good ones (so it would seem). What are your thoughts on the R-34C or the RC-62 II center channel speakers? They are on sale for $199 and $179 respectively. AS for the rest, there aren't a whole lot of book shelf or tower speakers to choose from. They have the R-610F for $164 each and the RW-51M for $399 each.

Thoughts?
Never heard any of those myself...not a fan of Klipsch, but I won't knock a speaker I haven't heard.
Klipsch is always on sale...always.
From a tech standpoint, I would avoid the 34C...looks more like a soundbar with all those small drivers.
You just never know until you hear these things.
Center channels are the hardest speaker to get right.

Here is the best deal on a pair of towers on Earth...far better sound and quality than those Klipsch's.
I have a pair of Q 3030i's and their concept center...wonderful stuff.

81Uvu9zn8WL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Will definitely make a call after the first of the year. In your opinion, would their CG3M bookshelf and CG23M center be enough for me, or would it be better to go bigger? Do they make bigger?
That's a good way to go also...I use all RSL speakers.
Use all CG3M in that case....they make bigger, but they are all out of stock now (coming back with a less expensive cabinet finish)....and they are much more expensive.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That's a good way to go also...I use all RSL speakers.
Use all CG3M in that case....they make bigger, but they are all out of stock now (coming back with a less expensive cabinet finish)....and they are much more expensive.
Did you ever try the cg25? Seems like three across the front might be really good.
Those Qacoustics towers reviewed nicely. Look nice too.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Did you ever try the cg25? Seems like three across the front might be really good.
Those Qacoustics towers reviewed nicely. Look nice too.
I have 3 white CG25's (one is a spare)....I use two of them as mains....sometimes. I use a pair of white CG5's I have as mains..sometimes.
I prefer the smaller Q Acoustics Concept Center as a center compared to the CG25 though...have a spare one of those too.

I have a Q Acoustics 3090ci Center that I wouldn't wish on anyone too....weird how bad it sounds compared to the Concept with the same size cabinet and drivers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have 3 white CG25's (one is a spare)....I use two of them as mains....sometimes. I use a pair of white CG5's I have as mains..sometimes.
I prefer the smaller Q Acoustics Concept Center as a center compared to the CG25 though...
Nice. In my mind I can see a pic you posted with the white speakers and some backlighting but can’t remember what the heck they are! Lol. Gettin old I guess…

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
Never heard any of those myself...not a fan of Klipsch, but I won't knock a speaker I haven't heard.
Klipsch is always on sale...always.
From a tech standpoint, I would avoid the 34C...looks more like a soundbar with all those small drivers.
You just never know until you hear these things.
Center channels are the hardest speaker to get right.

Here is the best deal on a pair of towers on Earth...far better sound and quality than those Klipsch's.
I have a pair of Q 3030i's and their concept center...wonderful stuff.

View attachment 64873
Here is a review of the new Martin Logan line, which they call their "entry-level," hence "foundation." They actually compare it to the Qs, so that's interesting.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Here is a review of the new Martin Logan line, which they call their "entry-level," hence "foundation." They actually compare it to the Qs, so that's interesting.
That might depend what you think of Andrew Robinson....I ignore him personally.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Q Acoustics is one of the finest lines out there....in the last year, they had blowout sales on old models, like those 3050's.
My Concept Center ?
Listed for 499.
Got mine for 199.
Last month they blew out the rest for, get this...49 bucks. That's insane. (that why I have a spare too)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That might depend what you think of Andrew Robinson....I ignore him personally.
I used to read some of his written stuff, and started to watch some of his videos but over time I just find he believes in some odd stuff and all you're really getting is his opinion....from his room.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
On too many occasions Andrew Robinson has declared that the review speaker's sound character was the opposite of how it actually measured.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
On too many occasions Andrew Robinson has declared that the review speaker's sound character was the opposite of how it actually measured.
I can't say I've ever seen him measure or provide such....and some of the characteristics he assigns to amps are odd, too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis