Upgrading svs pb-1000

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
Well below about 35hz the pb/PC2k is a better option than the sb3k. But anywhere above that the sb3k wins. IMO you should be looking to have at least two subs, and ideally they’d match. Two pb/pc2000 pros would be a very big upgrade with more extension, more output, much less distortion and the ability to help smooth out the response. I personally think that the rsl 12s is a better subwoofer than the 2k series, but you’re already in the svs ecosystem so…..maybe a pair of pb3000’s?
I was just looking at the deals RSL has going on, and thought about dual 12s's. Problem is I'm not sure if it will fit where my current sub is. That thing is BIG.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I was just looking at the deals RSL has going on, and thought about dual 12s's. Problem is I'm not sure if it will fit where my current sub is. That thing is BIG.
lol. Well, it definitely is not small!!! I think once they’re in place you’d get used to them fairly quickly. Especially when the lights go down.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
In that room size I'd get another PB1000. Mine never distorted and I had about the same room size with a couple of open spaces. How loud are you putting the PB1000?

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
In that room size I'd get another PB1000. Mine never distorted and I had about the same room size with a couple of open spaces. How loud are you putting the PB1000?
A little over halfway on the knob on the back of the sub and +2.5 dB on the reciever. I think I turned the knob up on the original setup because it wasn't as loud as I would've liked.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
A little over halfway on the knob on the back of the sub and +2.5 dB on the reciever. I think I turned the knob up on the original setup because it wasn't as loud as I would've liked.
That's why it's distorting the volume is too high. You should run your receivers software again and stick to it. Nothing wrong with turning it up, but it's too loud! Try 10 o clock on your sub and let the software figure the best setting for your sub and speakers. Phase to zero. Can you post a picture of your setup? Alot of the times in action/Sci-fi movies there is really not a lot of heavy bass. Your software setting should Rock your couch or chair and sometimes not.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's why it's distorting the volume is too high. You should run your receivers software again and stick to it. Nothing wrong with turning it up, but it's too loud! Try 10 o clock on your sub and let the software figure the best setting for your sub and speakers. Phase to zero. Can you post a picture of your setup? Alot of the times in action/Sci-fi movies there is really not a lot of heavy bass. Your software setting should Rock your couch or chair and sometimes not.
So that much gain on the sub is too much for typical avrs with that sub? Seems SVS subs vary a bit on that, but similar to my experience with the plate amp-subs I've got. I would set the sub up so that the avr trim remained in the negative range, tho.

ps then again 15' away for a small sub could be part of that.....nearfield might be better.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
So that much gain on the sub is too much for typical avrs with that sub? Seems SVS subs vary a bit on that, but similar to my experience with the plate amp-subs I've got. I would set the sub up so that the avr trim remained in the negative range, tho.

ps then again 15' away for a small sub could be part of that.....nearfield might be better.
That exact sub was fantastic in a room I used to live. I never had to adjust it after I got it dialed in a couple of times and it thumped hard if it had the thump in the movie at 10 o clock on sub and 0 on receiver. I miss that sub.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That exact sub was fantastic in a room I used to live. I never had to adjust it after I got it dialed in a couple of times and it thumped hard if it had the thump in the movie at 10 o clock on sub and 0 on receiver. I miss that sub.
Was that level matched to the speakers or bumped up a bit from that? I'd aim more for like level matched at -10 or -11 (with limit -12).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The thing is, there are far too many variables here for this statement to translate to the OP’s room and experience. IMO it’s just not enough subwoofer, and basically entry level. That’s where preference and experience comes in to play. One man’s subwoofer is another’s midbass module lol.
In any case, merry Christmas joe!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Was that level matched to the speakers or bumped up a bit from that? I'd aim more for like level matched at -10 or -11 (with limit -12).
Don't recall(-10ish maybe), but I've read on here after adjustment I put 0 on the receiver. It was a very capable sub for an 10 inch. I never had any complaints. I now use two thrifted Energy 8 inch in my small room and it really thumbs for my taste.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't recall(-10ish maybe), but I've read on here after adjustment I put 0 on the receiver. It was a very capable sub for an 10 inch. I never had any complaints. I now use two thrifted Energy 8 inch in my small room and it really thumbs for my taste.
If you did bump up 10dB that's fairly signficant and wouldn't be a great match to the speakers any more, but if that's what you like.....(keep in mind though, 10x the power is required for 10dB boost).

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If you did bump up 10dB that's fairly signficant and wouldn't be a great match to the speakers any more, but if that's what you like.....
I set it where it's not over thumping. I like realistic bass for music and not too hot for movies.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If you did bump up 10dB that's fairly signficant and wouldn't be a great match to the speakers any more, but if that's what you like.....(keep in mind though, 10x the power is required for 10dB boost).
I didn't bump up anything I tell ya!

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
The thing is, there are far too many variables here for this statement to translate to the OP’s room and experience. IMO it’s just not enough subwoofer, and basically entry level. That’s where preference and experience comes in to play. One man’s subwoofer is another’s midbass module lol.
In any case, merry Christmas joe!
I do think I will upgrade. PB-2000 or RSL 12s. Both are pretty big.

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
Which is the better choice, 12s or pb-2000 pro?

rockhound100bopd

rockhound100bopd

Junior Audioholic
You've read both reviews?

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/sv-sound-svs-sb-pb-2000 (not the pro)

I did. Seems like the 12s is the better value, but which is the better overall sub on your opinion?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did. Seems like the 12s is the better value, but which is the better overall sub on your opinion?
I think they're close enough you couldn't pick them apart :) Maybe a slight advantage to the 12s but vs the PB2000pro not sure.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis