cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Nice to know. So, the virus is out there and continues to evolve on its own, I guess.
Just like the 4 types of influenza (Flu) viruses, types A, B, C and D. Influenza A and B viruses circulate and cause seasonal epidemics of disease. Covid will just fall in line with a new booster each year.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Just like the 4 types of influenza (Flu) viruses, types A, B, C and D. Influenza A and B viruses circulate and cause seasonal epidemics of disease. Covid will just fall in line with a new booster each year.
I think that is far from a certainty.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I think that is far from a certainty.
Well it appears to be occurring, we have had vaccines and the boosters and the new XBB.1.5 booster for use by the fall of 2023. So its pretty certain in that respect.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Eric Topol posted recently about mitochondrial dysfunction caused by COVID.

>>>Even when the virus was cleared and lung mitochondrial function had recovered, mitochondrial function in the heart, kidney, liver, and lymph nodes remained impaired, potentially leading to severe COVID-19 pathology.<<<

Topol states:

>>>Notably, the virus’s suppression of mitochondrial genes inhibited or inactivated the entire OXPHOS complex, forces an alternative pathway to energy production—essentially hijacking the cells to make more virus.<<<

Topol mentions two drugs that might be candidates to treat this:

>>>Which brings us to potential therapies that would restore intact mitochondrial function, especially those that can be repurposed. There’s a long list of candidates, but the authors specifically mention the mTOR inhibitor rapamycin, which has been studied for improving mitochondrial function as seen below. Another drug that has already been shown to help prevent Long Covid, metformin, working in this same pathway, without the immune suppression of rapamycin, and very low cost, would also deserve attention for clinical trials.<<<

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Long Covid;
We have a few friends that have been diagnosed with long covid. Perfectly healthy individuals, a few can't even take long walks anymore, as they feel totally fatigued. Both ( in their late 50's) are seeing a pulmonologist for help. My golfing buddy went on a cruise and came back positive, after "covid" he just never felt "right". Headaches, joint pain. His doctor told him he had long covid. From a guy that loved to walk on the golf course, he now has a hard time just walking from the cart to his ball location. Other than that he is in " good health"

The most commonly reported symptoms of post-COVID-19 syndrome include:

• Fatigue
  • Symptoms that get worse after physical or mental effort
  • Fever
  • Lung (respiratory) symptoms, including difficulty breathing or shortness of breath and cough

Other possible symptoms include:

• Neurological symptoms or mental health conditions, including difficulty thinking or concentrating, headache, sleep problems, dizziness when you stand, pins-and-needles feeling, loss of smell or taste, and depression or anxiety
  • Joint or muscle pain
  • Heart symptoms or conditions, including chest pain and fast or pounding heartbeat
  • Digestive symptoms, including diarrhea and stomach pain
  • Blood clots and blood vessel (vascular) issues, including a blood clot that travels to the lungs from deep veins in the legs and blocks blood flow to the lungs (pulmonary embolism)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Eric Topol posted recently about mitochondrial dysfunction caused by COVID.

>>>Even when the virus was cleared and lung mitochondrial function had recovered, mitochondrial function in the heart, kidney, liver, and lymph nodes remained impaired, potentially leading to severe COVID-19 pathology.<<<

Topol states:

>>>Notably, the virus’s suppression of mitochondrial genes inhibited or inactivated the entire OXPHOS complex, forces an alternative pathway to energy production—essentially hijacking the cells to make more virus.<<<

Topol mentions two drugs that might be candidates to treat this:

>>>Which brings us to potential therapies that would restore intact mitochondrial function, especially those that can be repurposed. There’s a long list of candidates, but the authors specifically mention the mTOR inhibitor rapamycin, which has been studied for improving mitochondrial function as seen below. Another drug that has already been shown to help prevent Long Covid, metformin, working in this same pathway, without the immune suppression of rapamycin, and very low cost, would also deserve attention for clinical trials.<<<
You mean...ivermectin isn't a candidate? :oops:

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Long Covid;
We have a few friends that have been diagnosed with long covid. Perfectly healthy individuals, a few can't even take long walks anymore, as they feel totally fatigued. Both ( in their late 50's) are seeing a pulmonologist for help. My golfing buddy went on a cruise and came back positive, after "covid" he just never felt "right". Headaches, joint pain. His doctor told him he had long covid. From a guy that loved to walk on the golf course, he now has a hard time just walking from the cart to his ball location. Other than that he is in " good health"

The most commonly reported symptoms of post-COVID-19 syndrome include:

• Fatigue
  • Symptoms that get worse after physical or mental effort
  • Fever
  • Lung (respiratory) symptoms, including difficulty breathing or shortness of breath and cough

Other possible symptoms include:

• Neurological symptoms or mental health conditions, including difficulty thinking or concentrating, headache, sleep problems, dizziness when you stand, pins-and-needles feeling, loss of smell or taste, and depression or anxiety
  • Joint or muscle pain
  • Heart symptoms or conditions, including chest pain and fast or pounding heartbeat
  • Digestive symptoms, including diarrhea and stomach pain
  • Blood clots and blood vessel (vascular) issues, including a blood clot that travels to the lungs from deep veins in the legs and blocks blood flow to the lungs (pulmonary embolism)
Were their infections relatively recent? Or, were they among the earlier cases?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well it appears to be occurring, we have had vaccines and the boosters and the new XBB.1.5 booster for use by the fall of 2023. So its pretty certain in that respect.
You have made my point. We now have XBB.1.9.2. So we are a variant behind before the new vaccine even rolls out.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Were their infections relatively recent? Or, were they among the earlier cases?
all last year, all had the vaccine. They all just felt tired after the initial covid symptoms were over. Two of my wife's girlfriends Feb and my friend last Nov. And whats interesting, all got covid while on cruises. You couldn't get me on a curse ship.

highfigh

highfigh

all last year, all had the vaccine. They all just felt tired after the initial covid symptoms were over. Two of my wife's girlfriends Feb and my friend last Nov. And whats interesting, all got covid while on cruises. You couldn't get me on a curse ship.
Assuming you meant to type 'cruise', using 'curse' was a good typo.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think I would go on a cruise either. My first visit back to a movie theater was a couple of weeks ago, to see the latest Indiana Jones. It was pretty full, which didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. But, I seem to get through it unscathed. Went to see Oppenheimer last Friday. It was a 5pm showing, so there were only about a dozen people there, so I felt much better about it.

My sister-in-law contracted it about 16-17 days ago. Her symptoms weren't severe, but they are still lingering.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
You have made my point. We now have XBB.1.9.2. So we are a variant behind before the new vaccine even rolls out.
There was no point. We have a new Flu vaccine each year as well. and as I noted " Covid will just fall in line with a new boosters each year" . So are we saying the same thing, its ever changing. Like XBB.1.16 and XBB.2.3 . and then there is the EG.5 which is a descendant of XBB.1.9.2. its non stop it appears. What is for certain, drug companies and medical research facilities will continue to research and provide a medical cocktail to those that want it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

There was no point. We have a new Flu vaccine each year as well. and as I noted " Covid will just fall in line with a new boosters each year" . So are we saying the same thing, its ever changing. Like XBB.1.16 and XBB.2.3 . and then there is the EG.5 which is a descendant of XBB.1.9.2. its non stop it appears. What is for certain, drug companies and medical research facilities will continue to research and provide a medical cocktail to those that want it.
And how did we nearly wipe out a number of like smallpox and polio? Mandatory vaccination I believe so it cannot duplicate, I think.
Left up to individuals' choice, then will see these pockets that keep popping up for those nearly extinct ones, the anti vaxers will keep bringing it back.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
And how did we nearly wipe out a number of like smallpox and polio? Mandatory vaccination I believe so it cannot duplicate, I think.
Left up to individuals' choice, then will see these pockets that keep popping up for those nearly extinct ones, the anti vaxers will keep bringing it back.
The eradication of smallpox is the only successful global eradication campaign. It would take a global effort to do the same for covid. But the way our Global countries don't trust each other, I just don't see that happeneing.

There is not much we can do about the anti vaxers. Me, I just look out for myself

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I don't think I would go on a cruise either. My first visit back to a movie theater was a couple of weeks ago, to see the latest Indiana Jones. It was pretty full, which didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. But, I seem to get through it unscathed. Went to see Oppenheimer last Friday. It was a 5pm showing, so there were only about a dozen people there, so I felt much better about it.
Since we can go midweek at 1st showings, frequently we are alone. :D
But we wait a few weeks after initial showings.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The eradication of smallpox is the only successful global eradication campaign. It would take a global effort to do the same for covid. But the way our Global countries don't trust each other, I just don't see that happeneing.

There is not much we can do about the anti vaxers. Me, I just look out for myself
Isnt it also true that Covid like the flu mutates so fast and can evade immunity so well that it may not be possible from that perspective to nip it in the bud as well? It mutates a lot and pretty darn fast

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Isnt it also true that Covid like the flu mutates so fast and can evade immunity so well that it may not be possible from that perspective to nip it in the bud as well? It mutates a lot and pretty darn fast
On current form it is mutating at a faster rate than influenza.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Yes it is. And since covid is global it is mutating, in other words it is acquiring genetic changes. What worries me, is that the virus is mutating, what happens of it becomes uncontrollable and starts mutating every few months like some sci-fi virus and it cannot be controlled with vaccines that they have and which mutant virus do you make the vaccine for or which comes first. Kinda spooky when ya think about it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis