RSL Digs Deep to 16Hz with new Speedwoofer 12S for $800!

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
I would guess the rsl will kill the pb1k pro.
If the criteria was which could do a better job with a 18hz tone in a large room, then I completely agree with you. If you also consider purchase price, size & weight, and ability to adjust in-room response, all in a medium size room; then the outcome seems less clear to me.

Laika2

Laika2

Enthusiast
I've had one for two weeks, took a far more expensive 14" with ARC out of the loop for testing of the 12. Did some moving for the sweet spot, it's a bit picky about placement (aren't they all plus the factor I was trying to get the most DB's and headroom as the Speedwoofer is not going to match the monster in output. )I will not post it here yet as my non biased review goes on RSL's site first BUT I will pass this on.

OK, No REW reading till I post my review (but I did run REW) here are some highlights, most subs work in the same sweet spot in my room, not with this one, finally decided to corner load it a bit and pull it from the wall till it was close to flat and let X32 take care of the rest. I did not need to pull it out too far, maybe a foot. REW readings (after x32 were flat +/- 2db 17 to 85.) No doubt a few tweaks would get it flatter. I did add a 17 to 80 6 db house curve. (In order for more low end output to match the curve used on the beast) The subsonics are there and solid. My 14 inch sub preformed about the same 20 to 80 with a slight perhaps 3db higher output. I actually lowered the house curve to 3db as 6 db was a bit much in the sonic area which made if more full bodied and flatter I also did one with no house curve, comparing the 3db to no house curve but a simple 3 DB boost to the bass both sounded very similar.

The only real difference between my 14 inch monster and the 12 was level of output and it was close yet noticeable (But the SppedWoofer 12 shook the drywall to a audible wall flapping hum when called for. I firmly believe adding a second either in 2 places or stacked it gong to get me the +3 to 6 db I would like. If I match output the only other thing is the Speedwoofer 12 has a slightly different tonal presentation. That's not a dis, tactile impact and subsoncs are there, tactile input is there in spades but a bit different. In some ways I like the tactile impact of the 12 better than the monster in areas, It's a draw other than the output issue on a 1 to 1 comparison, that was to be expected, curse you physics.

If 2 does not work in my dedicated room I will just toss them in the family (wife somewhat rules the) family room. There should be no issues there as I don't go reference or very close (wife). (God bless her, I did get away with putting huge towers up there (Arendal THX S Towers, Arendal THX surround Arendal THX (non S) center and two old RSL Speedwoofer MKII's.)

Either way, the thing cost very little, if two work in my dedicated room as well as I expect they may replace a 5 grand sub, not bad for roughly a 3rd of the cost (and more even bass since I will be using 2). If not upstairs it goes where I know it will be a serous improvement.

Will post after Audiohalics posts their review.

Peace!

Last edited:
T

The original Kdogg

Audiophyte
I've had one for two weeks, took a far more expensive 14" with ARC out of the loop for testing of the 12. Did some moving for the sweet spot, it's a bit picky about placement (aren't they all plus the factor I was trying to get the most DB's and headroom as the Speedwoofer is not going to match the monster in output. I will not post it here yet as my non biased review goes on RSL's site first BUT I will pass this on.

OK, No REW reading till I post my review (but I did run REW) here are some highlights, most subs work in the same sweet spot in my room, not with this one, finally decided to corner load it a bit and pull it from the wall till it was close to flat and let X32 take care of the rest. I did not need to pull it out too far, maybe a foot. REW readings (after x32 were flat +/- 2db 17 to 85.) No doubt a few tweaks would get it flatter. I did add a 17 to 80 6 db house curve. The subsonics are there and solid. My 14 inch sub preformed about the same 20 to 80 with a slight perhaps 3db loss in output. I actually lowered the house curve to 3db as 6 db was a bit much in the sonic area, also did one with no house corve, comparing the 3db to no house curve but a simple 3 DB boost to the bass both sounded very similar.

The only real difference between my 14 inch monster and the 12 was level of output and it was close. I firmly believe adding a second either in 2 places or stacked it gong to get me the +3 to 6 db I would like. If I match output the only other thing is the Speedwoofer 12 has a slightly different tonal presentation. That's not a dis, tactile impact and subsoncs are there, tactile input is there in spades but a bit different. In some ways I like the tactile impact of the 12 better than the monster in areas, It's a draw other than the output issue that was to be expected.

If 2 does not work in my dedicated room I will just toss them in the family (wife somewhat rules the) family room. There should be no issues there as I don't go reference or very close (wife). (God bless her, I did get away with putting huge towers up there (Arendal THX S Towers, Arendal THX surround Arendal THX (non S) center and two old RSL Speedwoofer MKII's.)

Either way, the thing cost very little, if two work in my dedicated room as well as I expect they may replace a 5 grand sub, not bad for roughly a 3rd of the cost (and more even bass since I will be using 2). If not upstairs it goes where I know it will be a serous improvement.

Will post after Audiohalics posts their review.

Peace!
AWESOME information!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
A direct comparison between this and a SVS PB1000 Pro would be very nice.
I had a PB1000 and it's 19(10 inch) vs 16(12 inch). Great sub for a small to medium size room and it kicked butt.

T

The original Kdogg

Audiophyte
Here is a quick taste of my first impressions of the RSL speedwoofer 12s.
It's large! It's heavy! WAF the jury is still out!
This is a quick comparison to the REL HT1205.
The REL has great articulation of different bass notes in music than the RSL.
The RSL definitely has way more low end extension and SPL for days! One thing I noticed right away was no matter where I placed it in my open living room Home theater, was that the bass response was flat from 16hz all the way to 120hz! It never had any dips like the REL. The REL is extremely finicky about where it is placed in the room. The bass response of the REL is like mount everest, too many peaks and valley's. No matter where I placed the REL I would get nulls all over the place. Now I'm sure some will mention why I didn't get 2 to balance. Even doing that the RSL conquered this with no effort. I could have had 2 of the REL predators and the RSL would still have more extension and SPL.
I have not yet tried movie's yet but will be doing so this weekend. So more updates on the way.
A side note, I like the remote included! It's helps adjust different DSP modes as well as the gain control. The led on the front goes away quickly and is not distracting.

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
Curious to see what James and @gene think about the RSL 12 inch vs the Starke Sound 12 inch subwoofers. Amazing performance at great value

D

Dcm88

Audiophyte
I’ve had my early access 12s since the 6th of march and have had a awesome time breaking this thing in I’m sending my thoughts to rsl tomorrow and will be uploading to my YouTube after that this is the best deal under 800 nothing compares to it this eats all other subs in the price range for breakfast

T

The original Kdogg

Audiophyte
I’ve had my early access 12s since the 6th of march and have had a awesome time breaking this thing in I’m sending my thoughts to rsl tomorrow and will be uploading to my YouTube after that this is the best deal under 800 nothing compares to it this eats all other subs in the price range for breakfast
What's your YouTube channel?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
My room is pretty small, so Im sticking with my Speedwoofer 10's...but man, this thing is shaking up the sub market just like us that know the virtues of RSL knew it would.

M

mmamun

Audiophyte
Waiting if someone compares in between RSL 12S and SVS PB2000 Pro for performance only (Price must not play a roll here). Hopefully, PB2000 pro will come close to 12S. I received one RSL 12S as selected for early access program. I never heard or felt bass like this before. For music, no one can differentiate either deep notes, bass is coming from speakers or subwoofer (Blended so well and tight). For movies... OMG.!!!.. chest thumbing, vibrating sofa, floor..... .

HSU Research ULS 15 MK2, SVS SB 2000, Klipsch R12-SW nothing comes close to it. There is not even close competition. Had Pb 2000 before. As don't have it now, cannot compare side by side.

If PB 2000 pro comes close to it, I am considering getting one PB 2000 pro. Why not another 12S? Just because of size. If it were just 2 inches shorter and width less by 1 inch would definitely get another one.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Waiting if someone compares in between RSL 12S and SVS PB2000 Pro for performance only (Price must not play a roll here). Hopefully, PB2000 pro will come close to 12S. I received one RSL 12S as selected for early access program. I never heard or felt bass like this before. For music, no one can differentiate either deep notes, bass is coming from speakers or subwoofer (Blended so well and tight). For movies... OMG.!!!.. chest thumbing, vibrating sofa, floor..... .

HSU Research ULS 15 MK2, SVS SB 2000, Klipsch R12-SW nothing comes close to it. There is not even close competition. Had Pb 2000 before. As don't have it now, cannot compare side by side.

If PB 2000 pro comes close to it, I am considering getting one PB 2000 pro. Why not another 12S? Just because of size. If it were just 2 inches shorter and width less by 1 inch would definitely get another one.
I have a feeling that RSL 12s will come a lot closer to the PB 3000 then the 2000

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I was going to get one more MK2....nope, one of these is coming. Thank goodness I was on the early adopter list.
Game Changer folks....Game Changer.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis