RSL Digs Deep to 16Hz with new Speedwoofer 12S for $800!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
This looks interesting. Looking forward to see how it compares to my #1 option for a new office sub, PL-300

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
OK....Just set it up and some quick observations.
Just to note, I built my first sub in 1983 (Speakerlab) I worked doing high end car audio for 10 years selling, designing and installing literally hundreds of subwoofer systems.
I've had various powered subs at home since the early 90's.
I'm no stranger to subwoofers...I know what to look/listen for and it takes a lot to impress me.

First thoughts...my God, its huge....like really huge.

Then I turned it on and just went through some of the higher quality music channels on YouTube (don't scoff, I have a reason for doing this)
Second thoughts....good, it's not making everything sound bassy and boomy.
Third thoughts...Localization (non) was excellent, I can't tell where it is...something I cant say about my SpeedWoofer 10's
Fourth thoughts after doing YouTube sweep tests....my God, this 800 dollar subwoofer is hitting 10hz and it's not distorting or breaking up.
Fifth thought...back to second thought. Bass is clean and punchy, but if there is no bass in the source its not going to magically add some.

Remote control is the bomb....
OK, that was enough for now. Things shook in my house that have never shook before...I felt many times the "ripple" of true low bass going over me.
And that was all with the lowest quality source....my reason for just using YouTube was to see what it did with average fare. Later I will hit it with the real stuff.

Wow...just wow.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Found the perfect combo.....12S for the lowest bass and stacked 10S's for 40hz and above using the 12S highpass.....my god, this just destroys.

20230408.jpg

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Nice room and setup! I bet that combination slams!!!
Yeah...it certainly does. not only slams but it sounds bone chilling good.

Not sure about the transmitter....there is no pairing option on the amp like the 10S has, but they mention this...
  • USB Power port, easily connect external AR-4 2.4GHz wireless receiver .....not sure how that works just yet.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah...it certainly does. not only slams but it sounds bone chilling good.

Not sure about the transmitter....there is no pairing option on the amp like the 10S has, but they mention this...
  • USB Power port, easily connect external AR-4 2.4GHz wireless receiver .....not sure how that works just yet.
Thanks I'll have to contact them and ask for more details I'll let you guys know what I find out

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks I'll have to contact them and ask for more details I'll let you guys know what I find out
FWIW I have a Rocketfish adapter that I use in my living room for my sub and haven't had a single issue with it. I'm shocked that a Best Buy branded product isn't garbage.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
FWIW I have a Rocketfish adapter that I use in my living room for my sub and haven't had a single issue with it. I'm shocked that a Best Buy branded product isn't garbage.
Hah hah I actually used some RocketFish banana plugs they sold there to finish my JBL 3 tower setup. I was shocked they were good plugs really good!

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Even though it is not a monster sub, the Speedwoofer 10S mkii has been hugely successful for RSL Speakers and our 2022 Product of the Year budget sub. Audio enthusiasts loved this small but capable sub, but, as is customary for a hobby rife with “upgradeitus,” they have been inquiring if RSL had been planning anything larger and more powerful. After years of being bombarded with requests for a more powerful sub, RSL has finally responded with the Speedwoofer 12S. The 80lbs Speedwoofer 12S literally doubles the size and weight of the 10S to dig down to 16Hz. With a massive 12” driver and beefy 500 watt amplifier, will the 12S raise the bar on performance and value for $800 subwoofers?

View attachment 60849

Read: RSL Speedwoofer 12S Digs Deep to 16Hz for Only $800!

PS. James Larson will be doing a formal review of this beastly subwoofer with full measurements. Make sure you ask him regularly when that will be completed ;)
Another sub to add to my short wishlist , I wish it was a little smaller it may be too large for my room. Can’t afford anything right now .

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Sub wireless adapters have the potential to have interference with other 2.4Ghz devices. Also it adds some extra delay to subs. But maybe these are not deal breakers. Its definitely worth trying it out in your room to see.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Only been months idk what there hold up is lol kinda sucks for the 12s coulda been a lot more popular if anyone would do measurements on it i don’t think any big company has yet
Have patience....3 or 4 months waiting time is nothing for these types of reviews. RSL will be out of 12S's in three days guaranteed, no popularity contest here.
Once Shady J's review comes out, good luck for anyone getting one at all....

J

Jottle

Audioholic Intern
Still waiting for the white version to come out.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I'm pretty sure that is not happening. Sorry.

I'm waiting for a 14" or 15" version. :D
Im probably going to make my 12S White....Joe from RSL wants to see some pics when I do, as they have gotten a lot of requests for white and they are considering runs of them in that color.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis