4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It was some DD/DD+ format because my Atmos showed as active on my 7705, so it was detected and upmixed from some DD format. It didn't seem very active though, presumably because it was upmixed. Hoping it will come out on 4K with an Atmos track because it sounded pretty good otherwise.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It was some DD/DD+ format because my Atmos showed as active on my 7705, so it was detected and upmixed from some DD format. It didn't seem very active though, presumably because it was upmixed. Hoping it will come out on 4K with an Atmos track because it sounded pretty good otherwise.
If your AVR shows as ATMOS, then it's not upmixed.

If it's upmixed, then it won't show up as ATMOS.

I assume DM is the same as Yamaha.

For example, if it is just DD+, then my Yamaha will only show "DD+".

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It didn't say Atmos, but it showed the heights an engaged. Assuming the 7705 processed it this way, not the stream, because I didn't make any changes.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe I didn’t watch it from Hulu. Maybe it was from the UK Disney+. :D

You can see the "Atmos" as the source on bottom left corner display.

Very interesting indeed!!! I have Disney+ USA. No bueno?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It didn't say Atmos, but it showed the heights an engaged. Assuming the 7705 processed it this way, not the stream, because I didn't make any changes.
Mine also showed heights engaged, but only on the output side.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
No Dolby Vision or Dolby Atmos on Hulu USA, just SDR and 5.1. UK Disney+ in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, then it wasn’t ATMOS. Mine showed ATMOS just like with any BD disc with ATMOS.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I saw "Prey 2022" - the new Predator movie.

PQ: 4K looks Excellent, shot with the 3K Arri Alexa Digital Camera, Mastered in 4K Digital.
SQ: Mixed for ATMOS. Pretty good, there are some good ATMOS sounds.

Story: Pretty good, but I didn't like it as much as the 2010 "Predators" with Adrien Brody, Alice Braga. I think Acting is very subpar, bad even when compared to the original and other sequels, absolutely not even close to the caliber of actors in ”Predators 2010”.

"Predators 2010" also has excellent PQ as it was shot using the Panavision Genesis 2K digital camera.

In terms of ACTING, I don’t think any Predator movies can beat ”Predators 2010”:
1. Adrien Brody (Oscars Best Actor - winner)
2. Mahershala Ali (Oscars Best Supporting Actor - winner twice - 2017 and 2019)
3. Lawrence Fishburne (Oscars Best Actor -nominated)
4. Alice Braga (nominated and winner of various acting awards, non-Oscars)
5. Topher Grace (nominated and winner of various acting awards, non-Oscars)
6. Walton Goggins (nominated and winner of various acting awards, non-Oscars)
7. Danny Trejo (nominated and winner of various acting awards, non-Oscars)
I've heard some very mixed reviews about Prey. It looks alright. Predator is so awesome and badass, that none of the sequels, prequels, have ever come close to the badassery of the first one. :D

I don't have Hulu, so will have to wait until it releases elsewhere.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've heard some very mixed reviews about Prey. It looks alright. Predator is so awesome and badass, that none of the sequels, prequels, have ever come close to the badassery of the first one. :D

I don't have Hulu, so will have to wait until it releases elsewhere.
I think Predators 2010 is the best Predator movie. :D

Here's my reasons:
1. Much better Acting talents - 7 actors who have won and been nominated for best acting awards, including Adrien Brody (Oscars Best Actor Winner), Mahershala Ali (Oscars Best Supporting Actor - 2 time Winner)

2. Shot with Panavision Genesis Digital Camera, so picture quality is so much better than the original Predator.

3. DTS-HD MA soundtrack is much better than the original Predator soundtrack.

4. Writing/Directing = equal to me, I think both movies have excellent writing and directing, but I might give Predators 2010 a small edge here.

Michael Finch wrote Predators 2010, November Man, Hitman Agent 47, American Assassin and John Wick 4.

Predators 2010 has a better Setting - the unknown alien world is more exotic and exciting than the South American jungle.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think Predators 2010 is the best Predator movie. :D

Here's my reasons:
1. Much better Acting talents - 7 actors who have won and been nominated for best acting awards, including Adrien Brody (Oscars Best Actor Winner), Mahershala Ali (Oscars Best Supporting Actor - 2 time Winner)

2. Shot with Panavision Genesis Digital Camera, so picture quality is so much better than the original Predator.

3. DTS-HD MA soundtrack is much better than the original Predator soundtrack.

4. Writing/Directing = equal to me, I think both movies have excellent writing and directing, but I might give Predators 2010 a small edge here. Predators 2010 has a better Setting - the unknown alien world is more exotic and exciting than the South American jungle.
You had me questioning my sanity for a bit there. I thought you were talking about the AVP movie from 2007 for a bit and could not figure out why you liked it. Now I realize I missed a Predator movie from 2010. I'm going to have to go back and watch it. Then the one from 2018, then Prey.

I'm curious to see the one from 2010 and Prey. They both look pretty good, and the cast from the 2010 movie is pretty impressive. Danny Trejo and Laurence Fishburne? Count me in.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Most of the movies in the Predator franchise are not particularly good but the new is surprisingly decent.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You had me questioning my sanity for a bit there. I thought you were talking about the AVP movie from 2007 for a bit and could not figure out why you liked it. Now I realize I missed a Predator movie from 2010. I'm going to have to go back and watch it. Then the one from 2018, then Prey.

I'm curious to see the one from 2010 and Prey. They both look pretty good, and the cast from the 2010 movie is pretty impressive. Danny Trejo and Laurence Fishburne? Count me in.
Lucky for you, "Predators 2010" comes in 4K/DTS-HD MA. :D

Yeah, I couldn't believe this kind of acting caliber for any Predator or Alien movie. :D

When was the last time we saw a Predator/Alien movie that had an Oscar-Best-Actor, a TWO-TIME Oscar Best-Supporting Actor, and 5 other actors who have a long list of Acting accolades?

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I couldn't believe this kind of acting caliber for any Predator or Alien movie. :D

When was the last time we saw a Predator/Alien movie that had an Oscar-Best-Actor, a TWO-TIME Oscar Best-Supporting Actor, and 5 other actors who have a long list of Acting accolades?
I think this one was as good as the 2010 one, just not as polished. Cast is relatively unknown, but still good. To me, the first one is still the best one :) It was fully popcorn flick, but it was fully original. I saw it in the theater :cool:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think this one was as good as the 2010 one, just not as polished. Cast is relatively unknown, but still good. To me, the first one is still the best one :)
You mean the original Predator movie has the best STORY?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You mean the original Predator movie is best one in terms of the STORY?
I don't expect a great story from Predator movies lol, but yes, the 2010 one probably had the most interesting story. The story of the first one was still good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't expect a great story from Predator movies lol, but yes, the 2010 one probably had the most interesting story. The story of the first one was still good.
BTW, the same writer who wrote the script for Predators 2010 (Michael Finch) also wrote the script for the new John Wick 4.

So hopefully John Wick 4 will be great. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis