Is Netflix Crumbling?

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I am still hanging in there with Netflix and just announced more layoffs. What is there to worry about? If you don't like whatever changes they make, there are other alternatives. GEEZ...............It's all about choices and if you can afford it.

This past year and present, people are probably canceling Netflix due to cost. This is a luxury. I project more US layoffs, more shortages, higher costs, and you name it, for some time. Can the average person afford a new home or car.......these days? This is still the land of the wealthy, or people overly extended or to much debt. Welcome to the real world and feel sorry for the less fortunate. What will you have when you retire or be able to?

Last edited:
SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
I am still hanging in there with Netflix and just announced more layoffs. What is there to worry about? If you don't like whatever changes they make, there are other alternatives. GEEZ...............It's all about choices and if you can afford it.

This past year and present, people are probably canceling Netflix due to cost. This is a luxury. I project more US layoffs, more shortages, higher costs, and you name it, for some time. Can the average person afford a new home or car.......these days? This is still the land of the wealthy, or people overly extended or to much debt. Welcome to the real world and feel sorry for the less fortunate. What will you have when you retire or be able to?
Think you're spot on here. Think the content they choose to focus on, coupled with the content they no longer have, has a great deal to do with it too. But then you get to vote with your feet. A streaming service is a discretionary consumer item and, in times of economic troubles, the spending on such goes down. Same for discretionary consumer stocks.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Never watched it often. Once every 3-4 months at best and I really had to surf to find something I sort of wanted to watch. There were a ton of movies I had started and stopped. Mostly it was for my grandkids when they were here. Now that they are in another country, it's just me here now so I won't use it. Even with Prime I don't watch very often and Prime's free content (which is mostly bs too) is about the same caliber. Prime at least offers music and not-so-free shipping with their monthly charge.

Between all the remakes, series, zombie movies or shows, video/TV is just not for me. To be honest, I am about burnt on the whole of the entertainment industry. I can just easily find better things to do. I'd rather play a video game than watch a movie and would rather be outdoors than that.

At least with me, it should be easy for netflix to see why I quit for that price. I hardly used it.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I've been taking my $22 savings and purchasing BR and DVD titles left and right. Been averaging DVD for ~$2.50 and BR ~$4.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I fully expect Amazon Price to follow suit and raise the price as well

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I got the message, and the new pricing for Disney+, ~$22/mo. I cancelled it. I'm not sure how they can raise the price while they have no new content? The only two I have now are Netflix and Paramount+ (with commercials).

I have this strange feeling I'm going full circle. Before you know it, I'll be watching only the free movie apps and renting movies (streaming and/or kiosk).

Or, I'll go back and forth between different providers only paying for one at a time. For example, by this time next year Disney may have some new content now that the writers' strike is over. It'll take a few months for me to get caught up and then move to a different provider for a few months. The only concern with this is they may figure out people are doing this and start charging a subscriber fee.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I fully expect Amazon Price to follow suit and raise the price as well
They all are going up. Hulu, Netfix, HBO MAX. And like when Apple TV+ Price Increasing $4.99 - $6.99 USD . Before long regular cable will be cheaper. With NO regulatory controls these services can raise their price at will.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Amazon is not raising their price, they are going to remain the same but add Ads and they want to charge $3 ABOVE what you are paying to get rid of them. This is coming as soon as this year. We're cancelling Disney too, +$3 is too much of an increase.

The writer's strike is over, but the SAG strike is still in full effect. They're going back to the table, so maybe it will end soon, but I was in LA this weekend and there sure were a lot of people on the picket lines.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Amazon is not raising their price, they are going to remain the same but add Ads and they want to charge $3 ABOVE what you are paying to get rid of them. This is coming as soon as this year. We're cancelling Disney too, +$3 is too much of an increase.

The writer's strike is over, but the SAG strike is still in full effect. They're going back to the table, so maybe it will end soon, but I was in LA this weekend and there sure were a lot of people on the picket lines.

Amazon raised their prices in early 2022. " Amazon's decision to raise the price of an annual Prime membership from $119 to $139 in early 2022 " , so far no news of a 2023 increase.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I remember a lot of people saying in these threads when people started dropping cable and streaming networks started up like Netflix that eventually they would just become the new cable with prices once they reached any type of monopoly on the market.

Looks like those days are here. The question is will this be sustainable?

I'm already down to 2 just Netflix and Prime. And if they keep raising prices I may just go down to one. And just jump around when content comes out that I like from one platform to another.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I remember a lot of people saying in these threads when people started dropping cable and streaming networks started up like Netflix that eventually they would just become the new cable with prices once they reached any type of monopoly on the market.
What monopoly? If anything, the opposite is happening: a very active diversification.
Netflix used to be the biggest fish in the pond of streaming, but now there are dozens of streaming services, and Netflix is barely the largest one yet. They had their chance/time to be near monopoly, but it's long past that time.

If I were still a paying Netflix customer, I'd look elsewhere as their new content is crap.
This isn't a very impressive list:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Amazon raised their prices in early 2022. " Amazon's decision to raise the price of an annual Prime membership from $119 to $139 in early 2022 " , so far no news of a 2023 increase.
Yeah, aware of that because I renew at the end of the year and already got that. They remove the upcharge for HD on Music Unlimited at that time ($5 less), but just recently increased the price of Unlimited by $2 or $3.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Streaming services have a couple of advantages:
  1. Much more content available for me living in a small European country.
  2. No advertisements.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
What monopoly? If anything, the opposite is happening: a very active diversification.
Netflix used to be the biggest fish in the pond of streaming, but now there are dozens of streaming services, and Netflix is barely the largest one yet. They had their chance/time to be near monopoly, but it's long past that time.

If I were still a paying Netflix customer, I'd look elsewhere as their new content is crap.
This isn't a very impressive list:
I think I meant Monopoly of any sort with streaming over cable. Which is starting to happen. And like a lot of people predicted now the prices are starting to go up.

Right now that's not a big deal you can just enjoy one platform for awhile and then jump to another still keeping your prices down. Where it will get interesting is how platforms react to customers hopping around

I plan on using Netflix for about 3 more series that I have left to finish and then dropping it because as you pointed out their is not much new content. Then if a show comes back on I like I may stream it for a month or so.

Plan on doing the same thing with prime as well.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Streaming services have a couple of advantages:
  1. Much more content available for me living in a small European country.
  2. No advertisements, For now
Fixed point two. On 1, yes, there are many streaming services with lots of content, but segmentation is becoming an issue. Each service has one or two key shows; the rest are generally of lesser quality. One needs to jump many services constantly.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Fixed point two. On 1, yes, there are many streaming services with lots of content, but segmentation is becoming an issue. Each service has one or two key shows; the rest are generally of lesser quality. One needs to jump many services constantly.
I wish this fragmentation of streaming services did not exist but here we are.

As for advertisements: I rather pay a higher fee to avoid it or just simply reevaluate of I still want the streaming service.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
When a LOT of people start jumping off a platform, and jump on another, I can see down the road in the future some sort of fee you pay up front as a "sign up" charge. And if you jump off say before 3, 6 months who knows, they keep your fee. Nothing can stop them from not doing that, and when one service starts it, they all start doing that. .

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
When a LOT of people start jumping off a platform, and jump on another, I can see down the road in the future some sort of fee you pay up front as a "sign up" charge. And if you jump off say before 3, 6 months who knows, they keep your fee. Nothing can stop them from not doing that, and when one service starts it, they all start doing that. .
I think that's when things will get interesting. How we will the consumers react to this?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That is already here. For Netflix you can be grandfathered into the "old" plan at the somewhat lower price, but when you come back, your only option is the Ad based which is currently a little less, or the new higher cost tier. The one that people like me are grandfathered into doesn't exist anymore.

ALL of them are adding commercials and the advertisers are jumping on that. They are really just doing it because they feel enough will pay the extra few bucks not to have those commercials.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis