Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Padinn

Padinn

Junior Audioholic
@gene might be able to get us info on the outputs. I recall Phil saying in their video they were a 4k120 capable.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn’t start the trolling until we know for sure. Early reports from avs are saying the zone output is not 2.1 with customer support saying it won’t come via firmware update:

Post wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Just like all of the rest of the mess. But really, what does Denon or Marantz have, one 2.1 port? What of the others, Onkyo? I stopped watching the 2.1 BS, months ago. I have no need for 2.1 as of right now. It is a big deal for gamer's though.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It is not uncommon for Zone 2 or Front AUX HDMI ports to be limited. Though, the Front really should be fully featured for those AVRs that have them these days in case a friend brings over their gaming console. Without being fully featured, you have to be connected directly to the TV or move the AVR around to connect to the back of it.:confused:

There are other limitations regarding the Zone 2 HDMI OUT for different AVRs. Check the upscaling capabilities when sending video to Zone 2 with a Yamaha. These limitations may be more of an issue for some rather than the lack of 4K @120. But then, some don’t want anything but their TV or projector doing any upscaling and it would not be a concern. The point here is that the Zone output is not the equivalent of the Main in more ways than one.

Yamaha isn’t very clear as usual in indicating if the upscaling limitations apply only to the (ZONE OUT) port or also to the Main when using (ZONE OUT) for Zone 2. I’d guess the latter but only those possessing a new Aventage model can test it.

RX-A8A:
2B9D71FA-AC94-4C9B-BE3C-3DD81F61433C.jpeg

Last edited:
Padinn

Padinn

Junior Audioholic
Is there a way I can test this? Just plug in an Xbox or PS5 into the Zone 2 out? I have both...

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Is there a way I can test this? Just plug in an Xbox or PS5 into the Zone 2 out? I have both...
I have used hdmi out 2 with 120hz hdr 4K without any pb. Is that the question? I wanted games to use hdmi 2 out and AppleTV hdmi 1. But finally managed to only use hdmi 1 with tv switching to game mode when needed. But both hdmi 1 and 2 where 8k capable. Didn’t tried hdmi 3 out. Is the zone 2 the hdmi 3 ?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The HDMI OUT 3(ZONE OUT) would be assigned to Zone 2 or 4 and connected to a TV with the same video capabilities as that connected to the HDMI OUT 1 to compare signal output to the other zone from devices connected to the receiver.
E93678B1-0B72-4AE3-B5D6-69F61CBA590A.jpeg

A3417901-9833-42E0-A688-BBA9B6E14D31.jpeg

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
You guys know that zone 2 etc is an hdmi output that goes to another display right?

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
I have used hdmi out 2 with 120hz hdr 4K without any pb. Is that the question? I wanted games to use hdmi 2 out and AppleTV hdmi 1. But finally managed to only use hdmi 1 with tv switching to game mode when needed. But both hdmi 1 and 2 where 8k capable. Didn’t tried hdmi 3 out. Is the zone 2 the hdmi 3 ?
Yes, HDMI 3.

Yamaha's reply from another ticket:
"The Zone output (HDMI OUT 3) will only support 4K/60Hz video passthrough. So if you have an HDMI 2.1 display, you'll want to make sure it's connected to OUT 1 or 2 only."

Practically, HDMI OUT 3 does not need to do 4K/120 signal for most users. However, this learning comes after we were told last year that "all ports are 40 Gbps capable". Pinochio nose marketing yet again?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, HDMI 3.

Yamaha's reply from another ticket:
"The Zone output (HDMI OUT 3) will only support 4K/60Hz video passthrough. So if you have an HDMI 2.1 display, you'll want to make sure it's connected to OUT 1 or 2 only."

Practically, HDMI OUT 3 does not need to do 4K/120 signal for most users. However, this learning comes after we were told last year that "all ports are 40 Gbps capable". Pinochio nose marketing yet again?
Yep! Nice catch bro! Yamaha did post up that All port's where to be 40 Gbps. At first way back two year's ago I thought, why all port's, who would need that many. But than some hobbyist have PS5, XBox, Apple thingy, umm PC gamers 8K tv and so on.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure why more aren’t going for Yamaha’s throat. They did lie and are still lying about their products’ performance capabilities. The RX-A8A is hardly a small expenditure for many and those customers invested in something that was advertised as firmware upgradeable to the latest and greatest specs. The current product page is still selling a line of bulls#%t.
11F4361F-DDCC-4863-A362-8B46FD56E340.jpeg

00CA7A10-C754-46D3-BDCB-6CE41B8965F9.jpeg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I didn’t think anything could be more poorly written than their manuals. But, there you have it. Check the 4K 120 line. As written, one would mistakenly assume that ALL HDMI ports will support 4K 120 after a firmware update as “(7 In/3 out)” is clearly written at the end. But, the firnware release makes no mention that the HDMI OUT 3 is not capable of 4K 120 after the firmware update. Yamaha needs to rewrite ALL of their s#%ty manuals and product pages and start issuing refunds and rebates for what was and continues to be false advertising.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure why more aren’t going for Yamaha’s throat.
Most people don't care or even have access to 8K or 4K/120Hz. And most people only use 1 HDMI Output, not 3.

I know if I needed an AVR today, I would buy a Yamaha A6 and would not even test 8K or 4K/120Hz. All I am using now is 4K/60Hz for movies. I would never use 4K/120Hz for movies or games. And I only use 1 HDMI Output.

So, of course, the only people who would complain are the people who use 4K/120Hz and need all three HDMI Outputs at 4K/120Hz, which are few.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
So, if a feature is not essential to one’s use, it is ok for a manufacturer to lie about a product’s current and future feature set? Do we only hold the manufacturers we hate to account? They f#%kin’ lied and took folks’ money. They’re still doing it. It’s not ok. I’ve said before that anybody with a 1080, 2080 or 3080 should have just kept them if not needing 4K 120 and other HDMI 2.1 features. Those models at least gave customers the features for which they paid. Auro 3D is hardly compensation for their current line of bulls#%t products. Keep giving these manufacturers a free pass and they’ll cintinue to f#%k their customers over.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So, if a feature is not essential to one’s use, it is ok for a manufacturer to lie about a product’s current and future feature set? Do we only hold the manufacturers we hate to account? They’re still doing it. It’s not ok.
No, your comment was, "Not sure why more aren’t going for Yamaha’s throat".

And the answer is - because most people don't care since it doesn't affect them.

If the question was "Is it wrong?", then the answer would be "Yes, it's wrong."

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
So, you are going to wait until a feature you care about doesn’t work properly before bringing it to Yamaha’s attention? Come on, you may just be currently backed up, but just try giving a little bit of a s#%t.;)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I use HDMI out to my 4K TV that's it. I use 2 HDMI inputs, 4K Blu-ray player, PS4 both are HDMI 4K 60Hz. Here is the only thing I don't like, when checking settings using the OSD, AVR only outputs in 1080 not 4K. I gotta check the info on my 4K tv to make sure it's 4K video coming in, unless I'm missing something.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So, you are going to wait until a feature you care about doesn’t work properly before bringing it to Yamaha’s attention? Come on, you may just be currently backed up, but just try giving a little bit of a s#%t.;)
There are PLENTY of other problems in life to address other than not having 3 HDMI ports with 4K/120Hz, etc.

Like buying my 5th house in Southern California or new Lexus. Who cares about some damn AVR? :D

I don't trust any company 100%. Obviously there are pros and cons to every brand. It comes down to which brand/model benefits you the most. Buy those brands.

5YR Warranty - check
Free shipping to Yamaha if I need warranty repair - check
Great Customer Support - check
WiFi Remote App that works 100% of the the time even when home internet is down - check
Operates at a cooler temperature - check
Considered to be one of the most reliable - check
Pride of ownership - check

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
There are PLENT of other problems in life to address other than not having 3 HDMI ports with 4K/120Hz, etc.

Like buying my 6th house in Southern California or new Lexus. Who cares about some damn AVR? :D

I don't trust any company 100%. Obviously there are pros and cons to every brand. It comes down to which brand/model benefits you the most. Buy those brands.

5YR Warranty - check
Free shipping to Yamaha if I need warranty repair - check
Great Customer Support - check
WiFi Remote App that works 100% of the the time even when home internet is down - check
Operates at a cooler temperature - check
Considered to be one of the most reliable - check
Pride of ownership - check
You left one out, when you get a Yamaha Aventage AVR,
Your family, check!:D

Last edited:
AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
You guys know that zone 2 etc is an hdmi output that goes to another display right?
Of course. No one has ever told customers that the HDMI 2.1 board with "all 40 Gbps ports" is not capable of outputting 40 Gbps image to Zone 2. That is the problem - deceptive marketing and lack of clarity.

Yamaha also did not tell us for 12 months that lower tier models from 2020 have 24 Gbps ports only, including on V4A, V6A and A2A, until pressured by Rasmus Larsen from tech outlet FlatPanelHD to state the speed accurately and openly. It should never be the case that consumers almost must beg for more information to be released.

This challenge was only possible because they claimed in the spec that those AVRs can pass through "8K/60 B" and not 8K/60 A" image. 8K/60 B requires DSC compression feature and can work with 24 Gbps bandwidth. 8K/60 A 10-bit requires 40 Gbps.

They were hiding lower bandwidth of ports behind tricky language published by HDMI Org. It's really difficult for an average consumer to know this, unless he/she dives deeply into resolution, refresh rates and how DSC works, so there is a lot of room for manipulation with marketing information.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis