Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
untill I upgrade my present 4K tv which is only 7 months old, which it doesn't have any 2.1 HDMI inputs, so I'm still good like before Yamaha had all them ports locked
Obviously, any benefits will be with further firmware bringing VRR for people who have relevant sources. I guess no one will ever use more than three speedy ports in next 5 years - one or two consoles and one PC with graphics card or a new HDMI dongle with 4K/120 sports channels, maybe, just maybe in 2024.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Obviously, any benefits will be with further firmware bringing VRR for people who have relevant sources. I guess no one will ever use more than three speedy ports in next 5 years - one or two consoles and one PC with graphics card or a new HDMI dongle with 4K/120 sports channels, maybe, just maybe in 2024.
Didn’t PS5 just announce VRR support is coming soon?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Outside of gamer's, what else would 2.1 be useful for? 8K tv? and or 8K Blu-ray player which I don't see that happening in the next 5 or so years. No 8K movie disc at all.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I just forced the firmware update, and basically the hdmi 2.1 is not working at all with a PC.
No 120Hz, no more HDR support, total failure...
EDIT : NOPE It's working, the f...g Samsung TV once again disable ehanced hdmi signal on my hdmi 4 input !

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Still impossible to get Dolby Atmos in games from a PC. Still not possible to get the Yamaha to output on the hdmi 2 output when connected to the PC in order to get the TV to switch to its hdmi 4 inputs.
It's a pure nightmare to have to change half a billion parameters within Windows and the TV every time you want to use your TV with your PC..
And sometimes the PC is seeing the amp as a monitor, sometimes it's the TV itself. When it's the amp, I can't switch HDR on... WTF Yamaha... WTF Microsoft...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You boyz keep up all this happy firmware talk and you might make @ryanosaur want a Yamaha.
Still impossible to get Dolby Atmos in games from a PC. Still not possible to get the Yamaha to output on the hdmi 2 output when connected to the PC in order to get the TV to switch to its hdmi 4 inputs.
It's a pure nightmare to have to change half a billion parameters within Windows and the TV every time you want to use your TV with your PC..
And sometimes the PC is seeing the amp as a monitor, sometimes it's the TV itself. When it's the amp, I can't switch HDR on... WTF Yamaha... WTF Microsoft...
Yeah, when you involve a PC, you're having to deal with Windows + Graphics Card + TV + AVR. :D

Just the Windows OS alone can be a pain.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Something isn't playing nice. My Hisense 4K tv did about the same thing to my A4A, HDMI ARC issue. It tripped one my RX-A4A Nanny modes. Had to unplug AVR, got lucky everything was back good. Tv disabled ARC had to do a hard reset on tv to get it to switch to HDMI ARC. I need that ARC back to my AVR, I stream Netflix, HBO MAX from the apps on it. Plus OTA for local channels, so ARC is very important in my setup.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You boyz keep up all this happy firmware talk and you might make @ryanosaur want a Yamaha.

Yeah, when you involve a PC, you're having to deal with Windows + Graphics Card + TV + AVR. :D

Just the Windows OS alone can be a pain.
What? Did they turn on HDMI 2.1?

I haven't been following the thread very closely. I ask in all earnesness. Did they finally open up the full HDMI board?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
What? Did they turn on HDMI 2.1?

I haven't been following the thread very closely. I ask in all earnesness. Did they finally open up the full HDMI board?
There he is!! Yeah, Yamaha finally unlocked 2.1. But not completely, still waiting on VRR. Gamers need that from what I've read.

Padinn

Padinn

Junior Audioholic
This issue with atmos over HDMI may be an Nvidia driver bug. I think its in their patch notes.

Padinn

Padinn

Junior Audioholic
2.1 support is a step forward for gamers as it enables 120hz. VRR will be the final piece, as it enables variable refresh rate.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
So after two hours I finally decided to only use the Yamaha hdmi out 1 pluged to my TV hdmi 2.1 input (previously I was trying to use hdmi out 1 to tv eArc hdmi 2.0 and hdmi out 2 to tv hdmi 2.1 based on movies or games to not have to change tv color profile and game mode).
It finally "works" : I mean I can have scene 1 for apple tv music, scene 2 for apple tv movies, scene 3 for pc gaming and the inputs are properly switching. I am surprise that with the tv hdmi 2.1 input the power on and off still perfectly works.

What doesn't work : dolby atmos pc games. Dolby Atmos PC videos are perfectly outputing DD+ DolbyAtmos while games still output PCM 7.2 instead of Atmos.

One step in the right direction that said

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis