Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
What the f#%k is FAKE Pure Direct mode? I'm asking more questions than giving answers in this thread anymore as I've been belching s#%t and Cool Whip all day. It was definitely more tolerable going down.:D

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I just made the try, using front large with extra bass, or front small with crossover at 60hz, when in pure direct I don’t have the subwoofers enabled. You need straight to get stereo 2.1/2.2

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What the f#%k is FAKE Pure Direct mode? I'm asking more questions than giving answers in this thread anymore as I've been belching s#%t and Cool Whip all day. It was definitely more tolerable going down.:D
Maybe a lil hair of the dog? Usually helps me.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I just made the try, using front large with extra bass, or front small with crossover at 60hz, when in pure direct I don’t have the subwoofers enabled. You need straight to get stereo 2.1/2.2
Good to hear from others with a new Aventage model. Now, that scary little voice I heard in my head yesterday makes sense. "Eat s#%t, and they will come.":eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Back in the days when I was a Denon fanboy, I would talk about how I could still use my subs (bass management) in Pure Direct (PD) and Direct modes.

Well, the Yamaha fanboys were a bit jealous because they couldn’t do bass management in PD mode. So some of them would say, ”If you can still use your subwoofers in Pure Direct Mode, then it’s not TRULY ”Pure Direct” even if it says “Pure Direct”.

If something is not TRUE, then it must be FALSE (or FAKE). :D

I guess the big question is, how the hell did Denon get the subwoofers to work in Pure Direct mode, but nobody else can do that?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Good to hear from others with a new Aventage model. Now, that scary little voice I heard in my head yesterday makes sense. "Eat s#%t, and they will come.":eek:
When I replaced my Denon AVR-5308CI with the Yamaha RX-A3080, one of the first things I did was Karaoke.

And one of the first things I said was, “Sh!t, I can’t use my subwoofers in PD mode!” :D

lc6

Junior Audioholic
I guess the big question is, how the hell did Denon get the subwoofers to work in Pure Direct mode, but nobody else can do that?
Pure Direct should be a purely analog path. That implies the ADC, DSP and DAC functions are not in the path, only a digitally controlled analog attenuator (for volume and maybe balance). It looks like in a Yamaha AVR, these functions are entirely disengaged in that mode, but in a Denon AVR they can still be "attached" to the same analog source and drive the sub outputs only.
Reading all this recent discussion on this thread about various processing modes, I think what really is missing in the AVR documentation is a simple block diagram with signal flows in each mode. Perhaps someone would care to put one together for the RX-AxA? Otherwise, it is a bunch of experiments and descriptions that are difficult to follow.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Very nice! About time though. Happy days are here for new Yamaha Adventage owners! @OldAndSlowDev looks like you'll be gaming in 2.1 soon brother! Post up your thoughts when any of you guy's get that 2.1 update.

TheLamonster

TheLamonster

Audioholic Intern
Make sure to go into the AVR settings to change the HDMI Video Format to 8K Mode. My XSX wouldn't do 4K/120 until I made that change.

So now we're just missing "ALLM, VRR, QFT, QMS" eh?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Glad you are getting the updates for HDMI 2.1 Sounds like it all works ok?

diablo676

diablo676

Junior Audioholic
Update contents

• 8K60Hz / 4K / 120Hz, HDR10 + compatible
  • Equipped with seek bar function for "Amazon Music" and "Deezer" in "MusicCast" and file playback from the server
  • Other improvements in operational stability

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the heads up guys! My RX-A4A is updating now.....all good. Update is now 1.65

Last edited:
VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
Seems like we got an Easter present from Yamaha. I really hope they solved the no sound issue I am experiencing and also this 4K@120 finally got enabled.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I'm also receiving eAC3 audio from my 4K tv now. Wasn't getting that before. Also full 4K now with Video Mode, Processing set to on. I switched my HDMI Video cable output from 4K player to HDMI input on my AVR and changed up setting in Video Mode of AVR from, Direct to Processing just to see if it does what it says it can do and it does what it says.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis