Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It’s actually a cool thing to put the Yamaha on DSU full time and know Atmos is still happening when available. Gene explained this on one of the threads a few months ago.

I’m still jealous of @Trebdp83 and his new 77 LG OLED. :)
Agreed.

That’s exactly what I do now - set it to DSU since most new movies are now in Atmos.

If it’s Atmos, cool.

If it’s regular DTS or DD, that’s cool too with DSU.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Apologies to Aventage owners for the derailing. Not much to go on about until the firmware update comes in.:confused: Loyal customers of Yamaha were just plain f#%ked over this go around. But, that doesn’t mean many aren’t enjoying their purchase in the meantime.:)
Yeah for sure, I hope they’re diggin em too.
This thread though…been in the weeds more times than….. lol

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It's past due time for AV industry manufacturers, for future equipment production, to meet in a view of abandoning the f**king HDMI connector, and design a logical one based on the locking and solid XLR style connector.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Its replacement will accommodate HDCP before all else, you can bet on it.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Correct that pcm is decoded at the source and bitstream is decoded at the AVR. For Atmos and dtsX, they have to be sent via bitstream.
Yeah, for Atmos, TrueHD, DD, DTSX, DTS-HD MA, DTS, etc., all have to be Bitstream.
Bitstream is not always necessary for those more advanced codecs. Decision to (L)PCM or Bitstream signal will depend on the quality and capability of the chips and circuits in sources and in AVR.

For HDMI connections, if someone has an older AVR without latest codecs and modern player, such as Reavon, it is better for them to set the player to LPCM. The player reads advanced codecs, unpacks them, converts to LPCM and sends signal over HDMI to AVR's DAC for processing/bass management and playback.

Of course, this is less the case nowadays when increasing number of owners have AVRs with decoders for almost everything, so Bitstream is used more frequently and AVR does most of the job.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
It's past due time for AV industry manufacturers, for future equipment production, to meet in a view of abandoning the f**king HDMI connector, and design a logical one based on the locking and solid XLR style connector.
Abandoning HDMI will not happen any time soon. At best, pressure could be applied, including legal means, on HDMI Consortium to improve the connector and specification interoperability. After all these years, HDMI is still not a standard, but a bunch of optional features. It's a wild west out there... People should be outraged with it.

Pressure is certainly possible, including political. For example, EU will vote in May to standardize all chargers for all mobile devices into usb-c format, so that owners do not need to buy multiple cables and standards. This will apply to phones, tablets, laptops, etc. Apple is not happy, but they will have to comply... The main driver is to simplify the consumer experience, make it cheaper, ubiquitous and cut tons and tons of e-waste.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Bitstream is not always necessary for those more advanced codecs.
What I mean is that if you want your AVR to do the DECODING, you have to bitstream to the AVR.

Of course, you can also let the player decode Atmos/DTSX first and then send PCM to the AVR.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Actually, you CANNOT send atmos/DTS:X metadata over a converted signal. If a player converts the out going signal to PCM, metadata is lost and the receiver will no longer recognize an object based atmos/DTS:X track but instead a 7.1 PCM track.

Anybody with a Yamaha can check this out using the option menu and audio information selection. Bitstream an Atmos track from a disc, and one will see Atmos/TrueHD displayed with no corresponding channel information but rather a series of dashes(- - - -). Change the player output from bitstream to PCM and the audio information will display PCM with channel information of 3/4/0.1. Metadata is lost and a channel based PCM signal is recognized rather than an object based bitstream.

Only devices using Dolby MAT to deliver atmos will send metadata over a PCM signal. The signal is not converted in the way it is in players but is delivered in an LPCM container with metadata. These devices include the Apple TV 4K and the XBOX Series X/S.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Only devices using Dolby MAT to deliver atmos will send metadata over a PCM signal.
Yes, this is correct. Any player needs to be able to use Dolby MAT 2.0 container to deliver Atmos metadata over LPCM to receiver. Buyers need to read the specs carefully.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
There is nothing easy about considering the combination of devices needed in a setup when trying to achieve one thing or another. Dolby MAT from devices is useless to those connecting them directly to a new TV supporting 4K HDR and then to a receiver that may support atmos but not HDR. That receiver will probably only support ARC and will not accept the Dolby MAT signal over eARC from the TV. So, a choice of optimal audio or video performance will have to be made unless a device such as a SHARC is connected to the eARC port of the TV and connected to a port other than the ARC port of the receiver.

Mixing and matching devices in the HDMI 2.1 era is nowhere near as easy as it was in the old days. I’ve stopped counting the number of different settings in different devices that have to be made for the optimal audio/video output. The devices, receiver and TV all need to be on the same page. This can happen only after they are all connected together with capable HDMI cables for the given task.o_O

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
There is nothing easy about considering the combination of devices needed in a setup when trying to achieve one thing or another.
So true. It's especially annoying that TV's internal apps, such as Plex, still cannot output lossless audio over HDMI due to lack of native eARC channel on the main SoC. eARC is only passthrough as of now and we will not have lossless audio until MediaTek or LG engineers finally enable this feature.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You are correct about the delay for sure. Stereo and straight use Audyssey and ypao. As far as subs and direct, I believe it’s only on 7/8000 Marantz and 4000and up denons. My 6012 does not allow for it. Wish it did! Don’t care about DEQ…
I am quite sure you can have the sub on in direct and pure direct mode if you play X.1 contents. For 2 channel contents it will depend on you settings in the speaker menu for 2 channel playback.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I am quite sure you can have the sub on in direct and pure direct mode if you play X.1 contents. For 2 channel contents it will depend on you settings in the speaker menu for 2 channel playback.
Yes. The subs will play with any .1 content. But if there’s a setting for 2ch playback I can’t find it. I’m fairly certain you told me it was only available on 7xxx and 8xxxx series Marantz. Same with higher denons. No?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I thought we put this baby to bed.;) The confusion over this issue is caused by the way "Pure Direct", "Direct" and "Auto" are accessed with Denon/Marantz AVRs. The "PURE" button allows switching between all three of these modes. When playing a two channel PCM track, no sound will be produced by any subwoofers in the "Pure Direct" or "Direct" modes. One may have pressed the button to the point of entering "Auto" with a two channel PCM track and the receiver automatically went to STEREO mode as @William Lemmerhirt can attest. For all intents and purposes, the Denon/Marantz "Auto" mode is the equivalent to Yamaha's "STRAIGHT" mode. They've just plain f#%ked up the implementation and explanation of it. Give it its own button for f#%k's sake. Oh, and the next f#%ker who wakes that baby up can just go ahead and eat the contents of its f#%kin' diaper.:eek::D;)

MARANTZ SR8015:
Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 8.49.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 8.50.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 8.50.54 AM.png

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I thought we put this baby to bed.;) The confusion over this issue is caused by the way "Pure Direct", "Direct" and "Auto" are accessed with Denon/Marantz AVRs. The "PURE" button allows switching between all three of these modes. When playing a two channel PCM track, no sound will be produced by any subwoofers in the "Pure Direct" or "Direct" modes. One may have pressed the button to the point of entering "Auto" with a two channel PCM track and the receiver automatically went to STEREO mode as @William Lemmerhirt can attest. For all intents and purposes, the Denon/Marantz "Auto" mode is the equivalent to Yamaha's "STRAIGHT" mode. They've just plain f#%ked up the implementation and explanation of it. Give it its own button for f#%k's sake. Oh, and the next f#%ker who wakes that baby up can just go ahead and eat the contents of its f#%kin' diaper.:eek::D;)

MARANTZ SR8015:
View attachment 55583
View attachment 55584
View attachment 55585
Hey man, don't look at me bro. I got what you posted up the first time. Which I knew already about Yamaha's 2.0, 2.1 or 2.2 for stereo. But you know what, Lolo, man between You and Ryan you guy's gotta be the top two on AH, that are informative and funny as sh$t at the same time!

Just asking, umm there's this one dude on AH, he got like umm 10 subs in his HT setup. He just a mad scientist with his setup, may have more. But umm same would apply with those settings right?
@AcuDefTechGuy :p;)

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

MARANTZ SR8015:
View attachment 55583
View attachment 55584
View attachment 55585
Lmao!!!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Of course, if somebody is connecting a multitude of subwoofers using just the subwoofer pre outs expanded by daisy chaining or Y adapters, things will work as they should regarding various sound modes. Use the High Level speaker terminals on the subs and then connect the Front speakers to them after setting the Fronts to Large in the receiver and you'll get some boom every time.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis