Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I used to own a Denon X3000-series AVR (maybe X3100) that allowed Subwoofer use in Pure Direct mode.
Interesting. I will doubly wubbly check. Iirc, @PENG is the one that mentioned only being available on the higher end models. Maybe they implemented that after you had yours?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yep. Popcorn too! Don’t have to ever leave the living room. You’re just jealous! Lol
Lol, just jacking brother. You did bring up some valid points though. When I got my first Yamaha AVR, it was like, WTF is Yamaha talking about. Like WTF is, Cellar club, or Village Vanguard? But I made a mistake, in settings you gotta go to DSP skip, and turn what you don't want Poping up from off to on. Yamaha for some reason has all of those BS DSP mode set to off, which mean you have to scroll through all of those DSP modes to get to Surround Decoder or 2ch Stereo they are at the bottom.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I follow the question…
Correct that pcm is decoded at the source and bitstream is decoded at the AVR. For Atmos and dtsX, they have to be sent via bitstream.
Yeah, for Atmos, TrueHD, DD, DTSX, DTS-HD MA, DTS, etc., all have to be Bitstream.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting. I will doubly wubbly check. Iirc, @PENG is the one that mentioned only being available on the higher end models. Maybe they implemented that after you had yours?
I don't know, but in my previous house, I used a few Denon 3000-series AVR in my living room for Karaoke. So definitely know that they all allowed Subwoofer use with Pure Direct mode. I never used anything lower than the Denon 3000-series AVR.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Lol, just jacking brother. You did bring up some valid points though. When I got my first Yamaha AVR, it was like, WTF is Yamaha talking about. Like WTF is, Cellar club, or Village Vanguard? But I made a mistake, in settings you gotta go to DSP skip, and turn what you don't want Poping up from off to on. Yamaha for some reason has all of those BS DSP mode set to off, which mean you have to scroll through all of those DSP modes to get to Surround Decoder or 2ch Stereo they are at the bottom.
I know. We goood.
It’s nice that you can skip them. Iirc Yamaha does actually go and measure the acoustics of some famous concert halls and venues. So at least they’re not just slapping some reverb on there lol. Still, I’ve never found them to be worth a damn. I do know some people like them. YMMV of course.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know, but in my previous house, I used a few Denon 3000-series AVR in my living room for Karaoke. So definitely know that they all allowed Subwoofer use with Pure Direct mode. I never used anything lower than the Denon 3000-series AVR.
Interesting…..

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It’s actually a cool thing to put the Yamaha on DSU full time and know Atmos is still happening when available. Gene explained this on one of the threads a few months ago.

I’m still jealous of @Trebdp83 and his new 77 LG OLED. :)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
It’s actually a cool thing to put the Yamaha on DSU full time and know Atmos is still happening when available. Gene explained this on one of the threads a few months ago.

I’m still jealous of @Trebdp83 and his new 77 LG OLED. :)
Wait! @Trebdp83 went and got a 77" LG OLED! The the nerve of that guy! And..and not post up photos!

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I know. We goood.
It’s nice that you can skip them. Iirc Yamaha does actually go and measure the acoustics of some famous concert halls and venues. So at least they’re not just slapping some reverb on there lol. Still, I’ve never found them to be worth a damn. I do know some people like them. YMMV of course.
Yeah bro we always good. The thing about those DSP modes, I really don't see the point of having them. Sure Yamaha, Denon, Marantz been using those. They all have decades of musical electrical engineering experience. Maybe say like a dedicated HT room like some of you guys have those may really be useful but in most living rooms which are horrible mostly, I don't see getting the full intended use of them.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Wow, slow down guys.:D Some confusion about “Pure Direct” and “Direct” for sure. If one is playing back a two channel track in either of those modes, the sub will not work. As was mentioned, “Pure” is not always “Pure Direct.” Check the behavior for two channel PCM when going into “Auto” mode after pressing “PURE.”
61CEAC18-50EE-47B3-BFF4-03762F750BE1.jpeg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, yeah, got a sweet deal on a 77” C1. It has the EVO panel.F#%kin’ awesome!o_O I’ll hack, um, adjust it later.;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wow, slow down guys.:D Some confusion about “Pure Direct” and “Direct” for sure. If one is playing back a two channel track in either of those modes, the sub will not work. As was mentioned, “Pure” is not always “Pure Direct.” Check the behavior for two channel PCM when going into “Auto” mode after pressing “PURE.”
View attachment 55556
So…I just scrolled through with the pure button while listening to 2ch music. I got direct, and pure direct. Then the third press went to auto. When I pushed the info button it showed that in “auto” it was using the “stereo” sound mode and therefore my sub worked.
Side note. In stereo, I don’t have as good of a center image as direct. If I could use my subwoofer I’d be happier! DSU is good for music though.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Saw something about atmos bitstream as I scrolled the pages. No, you do not have to bitstream to get atmos, well, kinda’. This can get messy for some with an XBOX or Apple TV.

All streaming services are serving up atmos metadata in a Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 track. It’s lossy and compressed and can be bit streamed over ARC and optical. I s#%t you not, atmos can be sent over optical when they squeeze the f#%k out of it.

Now, for anybody with a TV or streaming device connected to an atmos capable AVR, no big deal, UNLESS the device is connected directly to the TV and is an Apple TV 4K or new XBOX. Those two devices DO NOT bitstream Dolby Atmos but instead wrap it up in an uncompressed LPCM box and tie it up with a little f#%kin’ bow of atmos metadata. That f#%kin’ box chokes ARC and the TV and AVR must support eARC to get atmos. They call this bulls#%t Dolby MAT. I call it a Dolby MESS!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Saw something about atmos bitstream as I scrolled the pages. No, you do not have to bitstream to get atmos, well, kinda’. This can get messy for some with an XBOX or Apple TV.

All streaming services are serving up atmos metadata in a Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 track. It’s lossy and compressed and can be bit streamed over ARC and optical. I s#%t you not, atmos can be sent over optical when they squeeze the f#%k out of it.

Now, for anybody with a TV or streaming device connected to an atmos capable AVR, no big deal, UNLESS the device is connected directly to the TV and is an Apple TV 4K or new XBOX. Those two devices DO NOT bitstream Dolby Atmos but instead wrap it up in an uncompressed LPCM box and tie it up with a little f#%kin’ bow of atmos metadata. That f#%kin’ box chokes ARC and the TV and AVR must support eARC to get atmos. They call this bulls#%t Dolby MAT. I call it a Dolby MESS!
Seen that before too. I don’t give a flyin Fukk about arc or eARC. My aTV works great! lol oh, so does my x700. Our Xbox is hooked up to a 5.1 AVR, so don’t give a Fukk a about that either! Although I am gonna bring it out into the LR so I can try some gaming in Atmos. Or even DSU and DTSnx.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Apologies to Aventage owners for the derailing. Not much to go on about until the firmware update comes in.:confused: Loyal customers of Yamaha were just plain f#%ked over this go around. But, that doesn’t mean many aren’t enjoying their purchase in the meantime.:)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Apologies to Aventage owners for the derailing. Not much to go on about until the firmware update comes in.:confused: Loyal customers of Yamaha were just plain f#%ked over this go around. But, that doesn’t mean many aren’t enjoying their purchase in the meantime.:)
Your good brother, Yamaha did f..k over the one's who are counting on 2.1. At least Denon, Marantz made good, that's a solid on their part. I wouldn't worry about this Yamaha thread being derailed that happened way back on page two or three a year ago. Hope you guy's realize I'm just joking about Denon, Marantz, Onkyo. Yamaha good, but they ain't all that. I'd really like that Rotel 1580 sitting in my setup, I'd take that Rotel 1580 over the A8A just on principle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis