Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
The WAITING is the hardest part.

But it will get here. The next generation of AVP's will likely have what you want. Even be made in USA, Japan or Malaysia. :D
Having seen production floors in S.E Asia, I think i might just buy stuff put together by a guy in Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia etc (without a second thought) over some pompous dude in Ohio, Georgia, etc. The latter is typically a dude with minimal patience, discipline, focus, meticulousness, etc... not to mention how entitled as fk he thinks he is if you ask him to work on his work ethic a bit....not good for the production of reliable precision electronics, i say...If the dude's multitasking/sexting his hoochie momma when he built your amp, it's gonna overheat a bit....

If he made speakers, i guess i'll buy it from the unfocused, impatient fk too....I mean how many ways could you screw up when putting a driver and a crossover in a box...He could sext and build it, whatever....

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Damn Yammy....My search for a poweramp is now finally over thanks to this chunky clunky beauty...Trialed and got rid of a Monoprice 5x200, Emotiva XPA DR3 and other Chifi to finally get to this pristine sounding beauty. It has a utilitarian look and is definitely not the prettiest looking. In hindsight, it would have saved me a lot of hauling and repacking, ugh, if i'd bought this thing in the first place.

I'm running the 3070's preouts for my frontstage with front channels bridged and the center channel bi-amped on the MX-5200. My intent has primarily been to power the frontstage with an external amp and see what happens. 6 of the MX-5200's channels are being used with this current bridged/biamped configuration. Surrounds & presence/atmos speakers are being powered by my 3070....All i can say is WOW guys....

In fact, I think i'll just wrap up my review with a single word "WOW" since all DACs/Preamps/Amps, etc sound the same to a certain category of Audioholics and ASR's members ( don't wanna rile up the "power is power", "watts are watts", "1s and 0s are 1s and 0s" kinda guys this fine morning).

Nevertheless, count me into the Aventage fanclub.
View attachment 55024
Congrats on the purchase. Looks really nice. Im not sure you gained any sound improvement with the bi-amping unless your speakers are real power hogs and your trying to fill an auditorium sized room.

lc6

Junior Audioholic
@3db I noticed that you own a number of PSB Image speakers. I am considering a change of my current Snell CR.5 center and Snell SR.5 surrounds to better match my Snell C/V fronts. From the specs, the PSB Imagine XC center could be a good match thanks to its relatively flat FR and a good bass extension. Do you like your PSBs and would you recommend them? Any deficiencies or issues with them, in your opinion?

Last edited:

lc6

Junior Audioholic
Just a hint for all owners of old Yamaha AVRs out there: After I (sadly) returned the A6A to the store, I set up my old RX-V2095 again. Reconnected all speakers as before; some connections even have new separate banana plugs because the A6A did not accept the dual banana plugs with standard spacing.
To my surprise, in test mode (when the AVR emits noise the level of which can be measured with an SPL meter and adjusted for balance) the center speaker was flaky, the sound from one of the surrounds suddenly vanished, and the height speakers emitted no sound at all.
I redid the connection to the center speaker to no avail. I also used an ohm-meter to verify that all speaker connections to the AVR showed DC resistance around 8 Ohms. Repeated AVR power cycles and disconnects would not help.
So I thought that the old AVR broke down in the process of disconnecting, relocating and reconnecting. Finally, I wiggled the volume knob (aka the "pot") and everything started working perfectly! I guess in this old AVR, this is not so much a 7-channel analog pot, but rather a single-track analog motorized 270-degree-turn pot, from which some ADC reads out a reference level which is then digitally converted to a dB level in the processing circuitry. That is because it would be difficult to sufficiently align 7 pot tracks to the same level even on a log scale.
Anyway, problem solved, but the lesson is: when the AVR sound malfunctions like that, turn off the unit, turn the pot back and forth a few times, power up and try again.

Last edited:
clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
@3db I noticed that you own a number of PSB Image speakers. I am considering a change of my current Snell CR.5 center and Snell SR.5 surrounds to better match my Snell C/V fronts. From the specs, the PSB Imagine XC center could be a good match thanks to its relatively flat FR and a good bass extension. Do you like your PSBs and would you recommend them? Any deficiencies or issues with them, in your opinion?
PSBs are awesome speakers.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I like PSB for their tonal accuracy of unamplified instruments such as violins, brass, woodwinds etc. They excel with both male and female vocals. Seperation of instruments as in orchestra is very good and clear. They throw a good sounstage. They can also rock very hard without getting shouty or strident. There is lots to like from PSB

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I had been very interested in PSB when I was shopping, but finding them to audition was next to impossible for me.
They are among the Speaker brands I still want to hear!

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Congrats on the purchase. Looks really nice. Im not sure you gained any sound improvement with the bi-amping unless your speakers are real power hogs and your trying to fill an auditorium sized room.
Thanks.
It comes down to the individual speaker design ime.
Scroll over to 32 mins on this video where he gets into biwire and biamp.

C

chapp

Audioholic
I like PSB for their tonal accuracy of unamplified instruments such as violins, brass, woodwinds etc. They excel with both male and female vocals. Seperation of instruments as in orchestra is very good and clear. They throw a good sounstage. They can also rock very hard without getting shouty or strident. There is lots to like from PSB
PSB make excellent speakers. I had auditioned dozens of speakers in many classes and immediately veered to the PSB's for their sonic qualities. You can drive them quite hard, too.

Padinn

Padinn

Junior Audioholic
I had emailed asking an update on HDMI 2.1. This is the reply:

"sorry we do not have any more info than the previous times this has been sent in. It will come as an over the air update and we do not have beta testers- that is done in Japan by the product engineers. We see this was sent in on twitter also. "

lc6

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for all the opinions about PSB speakers.
Now, another question: Since traditional AVRs are very bulky (huge transformers) and inefficient (Class A/B power amps fed by regulated linear power supplies), I am considering a switch to separate components and Class D amps with a switching power supply. Does anyone know of a good US-based manufacturers of such components, especially the ones based on Hypex or similar modules? There is Audiophonics in France and Nord in the UK, but I do not want to deal with imports and a potential product return overseas. I looked into Emotiva, but they use Class A/B output stage amps with Class H switching power supply (multiple voltage rails automatically selected based on the load), which does not exactly fit the bill.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Now, another question: Since traditional AVRs are very bulky (huge transformers) and inefficient (Class A/B power amps fed by regulated linear power supplies), I am considering a switch to separate components and Class D amps with a switching power supply. Does anyone know of a good US-based manufacturers of such components, especially the ones based on Hypex or similar modules? There is Audiophonics in France and Nord in the UK, but I do not want to deal with imports and a potential product return overseas. I looked into Emotiva, but they use Class A/B output stage amps with Class H switching power supply (multiple voltage rails automatically selected based on the load), which does not exactly fit the bill.
Start a different thread dude

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks.
It comes down to the individual speaker design ime.
Scroll over to 32 mins on this video where he gets into biwire and biamp.
Thank you for the link, it is good to hear from Mr. Jones. Not sure if he's an EE but he does talk like one, definitely a great audio speakers designer. I have been saying the same thing, the theoretical part that he said in the video about bi-wire and passive bi-amp theory. That there is a difference but most likely not an audible in most cases. Yet, forum talks, even a few self proclaim experts had tried to make their case that even in theory biwire, even biamp would make no difference in terms voltage and current flow, but those were typically by people who didn't seem to know much beyond Ohm's law.;)

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
These questions need a dedicated thread. This thread is for the current Yamaha AVRs

lc6

Junior Audioholic
These questions need a dedicated thread. This thread is for the current Yamaha AVRs
Really? What about all the other pieces of equipment discussed and all the irrelevant silly audio-bro comments? Do those belong because the authors had a long tenure on the forum?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Really? What about all the other pieces of equipment discussed and all the irrelevant silly audio-bro comments? Do those belong because the authors had a long tenure on the forum?
If you think the question is going to have a big following with many people weighing in, then I would ask it in another thread created by you. If you think its a couple post answers without it dragging across many pages in this thread, then ask here. Thats the rule of thumb I would use.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Yep. My comment wasn't based on your tenure but more to help you get the needed responses ...bro.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis