Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I'll have to go get some holy water, too.
About all I can say of the issues some of you guys are having is dam da bad luck. Been there before with, other brands of AVR's I've owned in the past. I've had so many issues in the past with HDMI, TV issues, ARC, 4K player issues. Not to mention 4 AVR's crapping out, H/K, Onkyo's, Samsung plasma tv list is a long one.

C

chapp

Audioholic
About all I can say of the issues some of you guys are having is dam da bad luck. Been there before with, other brands of AVR's I've owned in the past. I've had so many issues in the past with HDMI, TV issues, ARC, 4K player issues. Not to mention 4 AVR's crapping out, H/K, Onkyo's, Samsung plasma tv list is a long one.
I am not sure if this is an app issue with the Atmos on Netflix going through the Apple TV.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I am not sure if this is an app issue with the Atmos on Netflix going through the Apple TV.
I bought an AppleTV to get rid of both Samsung TV awful apps and not to use eARC. I have no issues or long delays when switching sources. The only delay I have is the one that comes of the adapt to source option which can switch from 24fps to 25 or 30 but it’s an AppleTV video option.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I bought an AppleTV to get rid of both Samsung TV awful apps and not to use eARC. I have no issues or long delays when switching sources. The only delay I have is the one that comes of the adapt to source option which can switch from 24fps to 25 or 30 but it’s an AppleTV video option.
Tried out any 4K Blu-ray movies yet?

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Could you give me 5 most desired developments that you would like to see in AVR in 2025/2027?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Could you give me 5 most desired developments that you would like to see in AVR in 2025/2027?
Individually switchable and assignable Amp Channels
4 independent LFE outputs
Losing HDMI for Display Port or other improved functioning technology that simplifies usage across AV, computers, etc.
Edit:
11.4 and 13.4 processing capability depending on tier
old-anthem-style amp channel count like 11-channel processing and 6 Amp channels
Class D amplification

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
4 independant LFE outputs
Losing HDMI for Display Port or other improved functioning technology that simplifies usage across AV, computers, etc.
What’s your budget though? :)

I mostly just keep an emergency fund for if my current AVR can’t last 10 years but 2027 will be 10 years for me. Hoping $2500 -ish would be all I would need to pay for 5.1.4 with functional HDMI 2.1 to my AppleTV box (whatever is currently their top model in 2027). Ideally I change TV display at same time to ensure all 3 play nice. (AVR,TV,AppleTV).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What’s your budget though? :)

I mostly just keep an emergency fund for if my current AVR can’t last 10 years but 2027 will be 10 years for me. Hoping $2500 -ish would be all I would need to pay for 5.1.4 with functional HDMI 2.1 to my AppleTV box (whatever is currently their top model in 2027). Ideally I change TV display at same time to ensure all 3 play nice. (AVR,TV,AppleTV).
Budget? What's that? :p

It strikes me that a lot of that could/should be available on any mid-tier AVR.

How about 11.4 and 13.4 channel processing, depending on tier, with Anthem's old trick of using on board amplification for half the channels, but still be switchable and assignable. Since most people will use higher quality Amps for the front 3 and possibly Surrounds, I would argue that AVRs should have 6-8 channels of amplification to run Rear + Atmos locations primarily, but still operate the 5 main bed channel if user so chooses.
[edited above post to include that]
The technology is there. All of this has been done.
There is no reason that in 3-5 year we couldn't see this come through and be affordable.
:D

Oh yeah... and all class d amplification. (added above, too)

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Edit:
old-anthem-style amp channel count like 11-channel processing and 6 Amp channels
Class D amplification
"Losing HDMI for Display Port " +1000

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Edit:
Class D amplification
Makes sense
1. Individually switchable and assignable Amp Channels
2. four independent LFE outputs
3. diverse interfaces: HDMI 2.1, Display Port 2.0 - simplifying usage across AV, computers, etc.
4. higher processing channel count vs. less amp channels
5. Class D amplification

How about this:
6. proper processor - for hardware accelerated AV decoding/encoding/transcoding
7. full Linux with GUI, large touch screen and mini-keyboard like remote
8. internal storage for apps, Plex, etc
9. external storage connected via usb-c for AV play back, rather than HDMI-dependent
10. much faster WiFi and LAN for 4K streaming from within the device

They need to innovate, don't they? Not entire line-up, but on one or two trial models, to see how the market reacts to devices more friendly to PC environment integration.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Makes sense
1. Individually switchable and assignable Amp Channels
2. four independent LFE outputs
3. diverse interfaces: HDMI 2.1, Display Port 2.0 - simplifying usage across AV, computers, etc.
4. higher processing channel count vs. less amp channels
5. Class D amplification

How about this:
6. proper processor - for hardware accelerated AV decoding/encoding/transcoding
7. full Linux with GUI, large touch screen and mini-keyboard like remote
8. internal storage for apps, Plex, etc
9. external storage connected via usb-c for AV play back, rather than HDMI-dependent
10. much faster WiFi and LAN for 4K streaming from within the device

They need to innovate, don't they? Not entire line-up, but on one or two trial models, to see how the market reacts to devices more friendly to PC environment integration.
Figuring out a balance point to achieve all this is what needs to happen. I don't require all the functionality you mention, but some of it is obvious in necessity such as best quality wifi(6) and LAN port. Touchscreen, cool but meh. Definitely don't need Apps on my AVR, TV, Blu-Ray, stick, dongle, etc... this needs to simplify!
Better connectivity options like USB-C/thunderbolt and ease of connecting and setting up proper network entertainment with HTPC/Stream/storage.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Budget? What's that? :p

It strikes me that a lot of that could/should be available on any mid-tier AVR.

How about 11.4 and 13.4 channel processing, depending on tier, with Anthem's old trick of using on board amplification for half the channels, but still be switchable and assignable. Since most people will use higher quality Amps for the front 3 and possibly Surrounds, I would argue that AVRs should have 6-8 channels of amplification to run Rear + Atmos locations primarily, but still operate the 5 main bed channel if user so chooses.
[edited above post to include that]
The technology is there. All of this has been done.
There is no reason that in 3-5 year we couldn't see this come through and be affordable.
:D

Oh yeah... and all class d amplification. (added above, too)
Seems like internal amps would be fine for 9ch. I don’t need anything more than 5.1.4. I don’t necessarily want a separate external amp for my setup. I welcome class D internal amps if that keeps costs down. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Edit:
Class D amplification
Unless the AVRs have the EQ processing power of REW, having 4 independent LFE inputs is a useless option as far as Im concerned. REW when it does its EQ treats the different subs as one virtual sub. Having multiple independent sub inputs would be a nightmare to get right.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I want an AVR that gives "Peace of Mind" no more issues and bugs.
Totally agree, one thing I gotta give @ryanosaur about Yamaha, they surely got pie on their face with the 2.1 updates taking so long. Not just the 2.1, there's a few other updates Yamaha hasn't come through with yet. I don't need 2.1 right now, but hey I may decide to get a PS5 or a 8 K tv. I'd like to see something like what Rotel has with their 1580. 150 @ 8 Ohms X 7 channels of continuous output. Big a$$ power supply and those real heat sinks that's in that beast. I'd pay 5K for it. Love the front display it has.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis