Sub for 4000 Cubic Foot Room

J

JSP

Audioholic Intern
Currently have a 7.2.4 setup using 2 PB 1000’s placed diagonally at front and back of listening area. Running Paradigm Premiers up front and various other Paradigms everywhere else. My listening area is roughly 12x30 with 7 ft ceilings, however the total size of the room is roughly 18x35 with 7 1/2 ft ceilings. So the total room area is roughly 4000 cubic feet as it is not entirely symmetrical. Initially wanted to add 2 more pb1000’s but they have been replaced by the pro model. So I’m wondering, would the addition of 2 pb1000 pros to give me 4 subs pressurize my room better, or should I look at replacing my current subs with PB2000 pros or Monoprice 12’s. Will any of these options improve my bass output considerably over what I have now? I have been happy with the dual 1000’s up until now, but I think I might be missing that chest pumping thump thing. The other issue is that I live in Canada and the prices here are quite a bit more than in the US. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yes. Any of those options will improve your bass. You won’t be able to pressurize the room necessarily, but you might be able to get some good ol tactile response. Meaning you can shake the couch a bit more lol. Imo you can also improve the quality of bass. The older pb1000 was a good entry level sub, but it’s just not the same as the ones mentioned.
How much do you actually want to spend? I personally feel the value of those mentioned is with the monoprice. Unless you like the app features Of SVS’s subs. As far as mixing old and new? Well I’ve seen Ed from svs recommend NOT doing that since they are tuned differently and will create phase issues making FR a mess and potentially less bass. Four subs would absolutely be better overall though. What is the AVR? With multiple subs minidsp/rew combo is generally accepted as a must to dial them in.

J

JSP

Audioholic Intern
Initial budget was $1500 -$2000 ish when I was thinking of adding the 1000’s but I’m thinking it will now be a little higher. I looked at the Monolith 15’s quickly until I saw their size and price. Currently have a Denon x3600H but eventually want to upgrade to a prepro at some point possibly Anthem. A lot of the reviews have been swaying me to the Monoliths over the SVS but I wasn’t sure if the 12’s would be enough for my room or give me much more than I have now, especially if I have to start with 1 depending on the price and then add a 2nd later. It definitely wouldn’t be 4. Right now the cheapest I’ve seen the 12 is $1500 cdn each and that’s for the older model.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might also think of diy subs? As to changing the Denon's very good pre-amp section for a dedicated pre-pro I'd put off, you can spend the money better on amps if you need them, or more for subwoofage....

J

JSP

Audioholic Intern
Yea the prepro will be down the road a bit once I upgrade subs, surrounds amps etc. Just thinking of the end vision. Also was hoping to stay away from the diy route.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
With the SVS return and upgrade option you likely have, return the dual 1000's and trade up to dual PB 2000 Pros or even better dual PB 3000's.

J

JSP

Audioholic Intern
I thought of that for the 3000’s but I’ve had them for over a year so I don’t think I’m eligible. I am actually thinking of purchasing a Monolith 12 for the front now and temporarily stacking my 2 PB1000’s in the rear until I can save up enough to get a 2nd Monolith 12. Would this work and be an improvement over my current setup of 2 diagonal PB1000’s? As said earlier mixing is not a good idea, but could this work?

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Since you're already a Paradigm user, and you're looking at an Anthem pre pro, have you considered the Defiance X12s? They're a little more expensive than the Monolith and SVS subs, but if you find a good dealer they're usually more than happy to give you a discount on them (when I bought mine last year I got a 10% discount, but the prices did jump 100$ since then).

I've got 2, and will be looking to add a 3rd one this year at some point. Great subs. I love them. As an added bonus, you support a Canadian company and a local Canadian dealer in the process during these trying times for retailers. And you can probably go do a listening test on them as well.

Just some food for thought. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

J

JSP

Audioholic Intern
I did look at them and they could still be a consideration. The majority of our listening is movies/tv so I was looking at the ported subs to try and get a little more low end.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
I did look at them and they could still be a consideration. The majority of our listening is movies/tv so I was looking at the ported subs to try and get a little more low end.
They are ported at the bottom. Here is a review by @shadyJ here on Audioholics:

J

JSP

Audioholic Intern
I didn’t know that. I just assumed they weren’t because of their appearance. Thanks.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
I thought of that for the 3000’s but I’ve had them for over a year so I don’t think I’m eligible. I am actually thinking of purchasing a Monolith 12 for the front now and temporarily stacking my 2 PB1000’s in the rear until I can save up enough to get a 2nd Monolith 12. Would this work and be an improvement over my current setup of 2 diagonal PB1000’s? As said earlier mixing is not a good idea, but could this work?
I have no experience mixing subs unfortunately. If the usual suspects here say not to bother, I would certainly give it consideration. Bummer the eligibility expired!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Reaching out to SVS about upgrading costs nothing, and I’ve heard they are sometimes very generous in their policy.
I would urge you to call and ask. :)

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Reaching out to SVS about upgrading costs nothing, and I’ve heard they are sometimes very generous in their policy.
I would urge you to call and ask. :)
What this guy said!
it’s just a call, and you might be surprisEd…

J

JSP

Audioholic Intern
No go with SVS because it’s discontinued.
I guess my shortlist has grown to:
Monolith 12
Paradigm Defiance 12
or SVS pb 3000.
Price wise the SVS is almost double the cost of the Monolith 12 and I think I’m leaning to the Monolith over the Paradigm. Don’t think I can justify the extra cost for the SVS (even thought it’s apparently slightly better than the Monolith) because I do have bills to pay :). Might wait to see if there are any sales in the next month or so, especially with the Monolith because then for sure it would be a done deal. Should I be concerned with any long term durability issues with the Monolith vs the SVS?

JasonGSG

JasonGSG

Audioholic
If you'd like High performance subs for a good sized space I'd love to include our Marty sub's for your consideration.
Available in 15"-21" & in multiple form factors (Kits, Assembled or Assembled & Painted).. A pair of Marty Cube 18's or Mini's would be awesome in your sized room.
https://shop.gsgad.com/collections
261787132_616156729530454_4519057408507267026_n.jpg

J

JSP

Audioholic Intern
I think their footprint is a little too big for where I need to put them, but they do look awesome though.

JasonGSG

JasonGSG

Audioholic
I think their footprint is a little too big for where I need to put them, but they do look awesome though.
The 15" model is 25.5"h x 20"w x 23"d The 18" model is 24.0” wide, 23.5” deep, 28.0” tall

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Should I be concerned with any long term durability issues with the Monolith vs the SVS?
Nope. I recently purchased an Outlaw X12 on sale because I was matching another X12. If I was shopping for other subs that called for a larger space, the newer Monolith would be on the short list for sure. The Monolith line are giving many other well regarded subs a run for their money.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis