Bedroom system now completed.. 2.1 system only..

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Update to the room. I've been a very busy boy lately with a laptop in my back pocket and a new UMIK1 microphone. The sub used to be located here..
bedroom-10.JPG

I went location hunting to find a better spot for my little 10" sub using REW. I tired a couple of spots and wondered if the sub would sound better in the opposite corner behind the lazy-boy as shown here.
bedroom-11.JPG

I ran the measurements for each location and this what I found.
The red plot is where I had the sub before using REW to relocate the sub. The green plot shows the response with the sub at the new location.
Difference between old and new sub location.jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I did some more tweaking on the bedroom and moved the sub to here.
Bedroom-18.jpg

The sub is firing towards the right. It used to be pushed into the corner (left of the curtain and firing towards the curtain. It smoothed out the bass response a little more. This room was sooo much easier to set up then the basement.
Bedroom Response Xover@120Hz.jpg

Last edited:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I did some more tweaking on the bedroom and moved the sub to here.
View attachment 45643

The sub is firing towards the right. It used to be pushed into the corner (left of the curtain and firing towards the curtain. It smoothed out the bass response a little more. This room was sooo much easier to set up then the basement.
View attachment 45644
If the frequency graphs are accurate, and I don't see why they wouldn't be, it's pretty smooth indeed.

Enjoy!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Three weeks ago, I under took a monumental effort (monumental for a 60 yr old guy now living alone) to finish painting the up house interior which was the stair well, and the top floor. I painted the basement and main floor last year. I saved painting the master bedroom for the last as it required me to dissconnect all my speakers and remove them from the wall, disconnect the TV and take it off the mount. I even removed the TV mount its self. Here's the finished picture of the master bedroom looking at the display point of view. A before shot and after shot.

The before shot
Bedroom-3.jpg bedroom-6.jpg

Now the after shot

IMG_6019.jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Job well done, wanna come over and paint my house ! :p
Thank you. A few of my friends asked me paint their's as well so I must be ok at it. I hate stairwells as Im not really equipped. I cheat and use a edge trimmer with the square pad and the two wheels that run along the ceiling. Everything else is cut by hand without tape.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I finally took some time to replace the PSB Alphas used as surrounds to Alpha Minis

Here are the size differences... The Alphas to the left, the Minis to the right

IMG_6127.jpgIMG_6128.jpgIMG_6130.jpg

Before replacement

bedroom-14.JPG

After replacement
IMG_6131.jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I picked this used sub for $200 to replace my old PSB Subsonic 5 a ported design with a 10" driver in my bedroom. It works really well for both music and HT.

IMG_6925.jpg
IMG_6926.jpg
IMG_6927.jpg
IMG_6928.jpg

The SubSonic 7 was the flagship subwoofer of the PSB line. It measures 17.5 inches wide, 19 inches tall and 17.5 inches deep including 1 inch for feet, a basic cube weighing just a little under 60 pounds. The SubSonic 7 has a single 15-inch driver with a rated frequency range of 22Hz to 150Hz, with a low frequency cutoff of 18Hz at –10dB. The SubSonic 7 is driven by an internal MOSFET power amplifier, which is capable of 330 watts continuous and as much as 1200 watts dynamic peak power, able to deliver as much as 112 dB of sound pressure.

LineController

LineController

Junior Audioholic
I want to clean up the bedroom system with a TV stand which includes a fireplace... you know make it romantic and such... I'm having a difficult time finding a product which can easily fit the AVR's girth, 17.125"w x 6.75"h x 17.25"d. and able to hold its 34 lb shelf weight.

I located the followiing.

This will work if I leave the backs off on the side shelfs

Leaving the backs off again...

View attachment 26361

There's just not much out there and I dont have the wood working tools to make one either. Where do you guys go to find audio furniture?

LineController

LineController

Junior Audioholic
Here are some updated pics with the new Samsung display. I had to lower the center channel speaker a bit and used the opportunity to hang it straight. Those logitech mounts aren't the greatest to square. I squared them initially on the verticle plane but the horizontal plane was slightly crooked. I hung then squaring them on the horizontal plane as its most noticeble there and the verticle plane is slightly off but hidden behind the speaker so its not noticeable.

View attachment 29246View attachment 29247View attachment 29248View attachment 29249View attachment 29250View attachment 29251View attachment 29252View attachment 29253View attachment 29254View attachment 29246View attachment 29247View attachment 29248View attachment 29249View attachment 29250View attachment 29251View attachment 29252View attachment 29253View attachment 29254
Realize this is older post. This is not my theater room. But this unit might have worked for you. Home Depot
CF231FE7-7AE4-460E-AEBF-EAFC133CB25E.jpeg

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
I want to clean up the bedroom system with a TV stand which includes a fireplace... you know make it romantic and such... I'm having a difficult time finding a product which can easily fit the AVR's girth, 17.125"w x 6.75"h x 17.25"d. and able to hold its 34 lb shelf weight.

I located the followiing.

This will work if I leave the backs off on the side shelfs

Leaving the backs off again...

View attachment 26361

There's just not much out there and I dont have the wood working tools to make one either. Where do you guys go to find audio furniture?
I have used Audioadvisor.com and have used sanus and salamander racks:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I finally got around to measure the room with new used Subsonic 7 15" sealed sub. I also learned something new in the behaviour of the RX-V1075 and why I was getting sub response from Pure Direct Mode while using an HDMI input.

The first plotshows the difference in in-room response between the Subsonic7 and Subsonic 5. The sub7 was placed in the same location as the sub5.
Subsonic7 Vs Subsonic5.jpg

The next plot shows the response with YPAO set to through (no room correction).

Master Bedroom Curves.jpg

The red curve sets all speakers to small and is running a little "hot" . I have to try some blurays but I suspect I may have to tone it down just a smidge.

The blue curve sets the fronts to large but also uses the sub with a feature called Extra Bass which is only selectable when the front speakers are set to large. I have the sub value set to -7db on the AVR . I use this setting for listening to music. It sounds pretty good.

The green curve is Pure Direct so there is no sub response from the Extra Bass feature.

Now the thing I learned about the RX-V1075 ( I suspect all RX-A models behave the same way) is that Pure Direct does not change the speaker settings from small to large which I believe my old RX-V1900 is doing . The speaker settings remain fixed at the values chosen in the Speaker Config Menu. Depending on weather, I may play around tomorrow with the RX-V1900 and verify that with measurements. And here I thought I had a good handle on Yamaha. :rolleyes: Shitty f'in manuals!! :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I received my Infinity T10 forward blowing fan yesterday and I read the comments that @ryanosaur wrote about his ability to hear the unit from his seating position 8 ft away. He has the same unit. I placed the unit on top of my dresser/converted media console plugged it in and I was able to hear it. Sooooo, I decided to use it but to place it in my bedroom system for two reasons: 1) I barely ever do any critical listening there 2) I'm tired of the rickety setup I had of a wire shelf being balanced on top of my AVR holding up a cassette deck and bluray player. It went from this
bedroom-16.JPG

to this

IMG_8430.jpg

I ordered a rear vent unit for the greatroom setup.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I turned my attention to redoing the shelf support in the converted dresser/stereo stand. I'm so tired despite having stopped for lunch. Here are the before shots

IMG_8452.jpg
IMG_8453.jpg
IMG_8454.jpg
IMG_8455.jpg
IMG_8457.jpg
IMG_8458.jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm no wood worker and can't cut a straight line with a skill saw if my life depended on it. I guess that's why they call it a skill saw
:rflmao:

Here are after shots

IMG_8459.jpg
IMG_8460.jpg
IMG_8461.jpg
IMG_8462.jpg
IMG_8463.jpg
IMG_8464.jpg
IMG_8465.jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I swapped out the RX-V1075 for an RX-A1060 but never bothered to run YPAO. I took pictures of the old setup and used them to set speaker distances and channel volumes on the new system setting the EQ to through (off).

I have setup this AVR like I did with the other two in that I use two speaker patterns that are available on the AVR. I set pattern1 for movie and pattern2 for music.

I decided to run YPAO to check distances and channel volumes. I then tried to get a smoother integration of the one sub to the mains by playing with the sub distance.

The old Pattern1 setup
IMG_0053.jpg
IMG_0054.jpg

The new Pattern1 setup.

IMG_0059.jpg
IMG_0060.jpg

The distances and channel volumes were identical from the old and new except for the sub. I manually tweeked the sub distance to get a better integration of sub to mains. The blue trace was measured before playing with the sub distances. The red trace is what I managed to achieve by playing with the sub distances.

Pattern1 Before-After Tweeks.jpg

The old Pattern2
IMG_0056.jpg
IMG_0057.jpg

The new Pattern2 setup
IMG_0061.jpg
IMG_0062.jpg

The orange trace is before tweeking, the green trace is after tweeking the sub distance. Pattern2 sets the mains to large but I still augment them with the sub using the extra bass option.

Pattern2 Before-After Tweeks.jpg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis