Bedroom system now completed.. 2.1 system only..

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
With the addition of my deck, I now have access to my entire music library for those vinyl albums I cannot find digitally, or on CD, or a just too dam expensive to buy. The heads of the deck have been aligned and everything is working great.

bedroom-1.jpg

bedroom-2.jpg

bedroom-3.jpg

bedroom-4.jpg

bedroom-5.jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I want to clean up the bedroom system with a TV stand which includes a fireplace... you know make it romantic and such... I'm having a difficult time finding a product which can easily fit the AVR's girth, 17.125"w x 6.75"h x 17.25"d. and able to hold its 34 lb shelf weight.

I located the followiing.

This will work if I leave the backs off on the side shelfs

Leaving the backs off again...

dimplex.jpg

There's just not much out there and I dont have the wood working tools to make one either. Where do you guys go to find audio furniture?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I've moved all my stuff to closets.

Keep in mind some of those units might not be as sturdy without the backs on them. I'm also not sure I'd want my equipment that closed to radiating heat either.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I've moved all my stuff to closets.

Keep in mind some of those units might not be as sturdy without the backs on them. I'm also not sure I'd want my equipment that closed to radiating heat either.
I checked the assembly instructions and the backs are nothing more than colored particle board held onto the sides with finishing nails so not much strength being provided. The heat source thing wont be much of an issue as I can turn on the fireplace without turning on the heat. :)

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
And the more I think about it, if the devices are on the sides of the fireplace youd probably be fine anways. Have you looked at Amazon? Thats where I buy just about everything these days.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I won't say I racked my brain trying to figure out what a 'deck' was but it sure wasn't at the forefront of my mind.

Tell us about the sub you hid away in that corner.

Oh and BTW, I'm not sure that it matters but I'm currently using a dresser for speaker stands like you are. I think the MoPad option is worth the expense. I cut mine down to fit under the speaker but that makes it a little tippy. Small felt sticky thingies are also an option for easy sliding and it might buy you some isolation.

No record player? Tisk, tisk, tisk ...

Edit: this is one way to start a fire in the ole bedroom: Great Balls of Fire :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
this is one way to start a fire in the ole bedroom: Great Balls of Fire :D
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
That's Dennis Quaid playing Jerry Lee Lewis in a pretty good movie about him. JLL did all the piano and singing in the movie himself.

I looked on u tube for a video of Great Balls of Fire showing JLL instead of the Hollywood pretty boy, but couldn't find one. Instead I found this one, JLL singing Money. Compare the visual display of attitude.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Cool system. What kind of PSB speakers are you using? I'm running PSB Imagine B speakers in my bedroom set up. Great bookshelf speakers but I am using a sub as well.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I won't say I racked my brain trying to figure out what a 'deck' was but it sure wasn't at the forefront of my mind.
:p

Tell us about the sub you hid away in that corner.
Just a tiny 8" Energy SL-8. Its there more for music than for rattling the windows. I needed something smallish and that is the only sub I could find used at the time that fit the bill.

Oh and BTW, I'm not sure that it matters but I'm currently using a dresser for speaker stands like you are. I think the MoPad option is worth the expense. I cut mine down to fit under the speaker but that makes it a little tippy. Small felt sticky thingies are also an option for easy sliding and it might buy you some isolation.
No record player? Tisk, tisk, tisk ...
The wife hates it, hence my search for TV stand with electric fireplaces built in.

I'm not about to lug record up and down 3 flights of stairs at my age. ;) That's why I have the deck. I record albums that I cannot find digitally or on CD.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Cool system. What kind of PSB speakers are you using? I'm running PSB Imagine B speakers in my bedroom set up. Great bookshelf speakers but I am using a sub as well.
Those were PSB Alpha Mites and have been replaced by PSB Alphas

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Here are some udated pics of the bedroom system with teh new BTECH77 speaker wall mounts

bedroom_6.jpg

bedroom_7.jpg

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
Where do you guys go to find audio furniture?
Craigslist list. Often times it's more than 50% off MSRP + you can always bargain down. I think my TV stand was 350 new and got it for 100. Take a look you never know you may find something cool.

The wall mounded speakers look great btw. Nice job.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I ordered the BT15 wall mounts from B Tech to mount the center channel under the TV.

1544026167535.png

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I found an original matching center channel to the PSB Alphas off of Ebay so I bought it and now have my bedroom system upgraded to a 3.1 system.

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg
IMG_0601.jpgIMG_0603.jpgIMG_0604.jpgIMG_0605.jpg

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Here are some updated pics with the new Samsung display. I had to lower the center channel speaker a bit and used the opportunity to hang it straight. Those logitech mounts aren't the greatest to square. I squared them initially on the verticle plane but the horizontal plane was slightly crooked. I hung then squaring them on the horizontal plane as its most noticeble there and the verticle plane is slightly off but hidden behind the speaker so its not noticeable.

system3-display-1.jpg
system3-display-2.jpg
system3-display-3.jpg
system3-display-4.jpg
system3-display-5.jpg
system3-display-6.jpg
system3-display-7.jpg
system3-display-8.jpg
system3-display-9.jpg
system3-display-1.jpgsystem3-display-2.jpgsystem3-display-3.jpgsystem3-display-4.jpgsystem3-display-5.jpgsystem3-display-6.jpgsystem3-display-7.jpgsystem3-display-8.jpgsystem3-display-9.jpg

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Keep in mind some of those units might not be as sturdy without the backs on them.

I checked the assembly instructions and the backs are nothing more than colored particle board held onto the sides with finishing nails so not much strength being provided.
I know that you did not go with one of the shelf units with fireplace, but I am just now seeing this and wanted to add some comments for anyone considering the same.
The back panel does not need to be made of solid wood or plywood to add substantial strength.
The back panel prevents the unit from collapsing by providing "cross bracing"!
From an intuitive standpoint, I think this image helps:

If you got rid of the two braces (making an "X") in the back, I think it is reasonably obvious that these shelves would be pretty weak if you were to grab the top and push it from side to side!
The console/shelf unit you were considering is not near so precarious as the one in the above image, and the firebox should be very sturdy to provide adequate support! However, since we are talking fire, the consequences of a collapse are too dangerous to casually remove the back without more investigation into it's strength (say a 250 lb person fell sideways into the top panel)! You could probably get away with using something like a 2" hole saw to "pepper" the back with holes for cables and ventilation as long as you left around 2" between all holes. However, if you are going to invest the labor to layout and drill the holes, go ahead and replace the back with 1/4" plywood which will be stronger after the holes than the particle board was before the holes. (since this is a safety concern, I am inclined to be overly cautions).

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis