Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Are you going to sign up for a free board exchange on your A2A, to get 24 Gbps HDMI 2.1 ports?
Yep! Sure will, as of right now, my A2A is performing flawlessly. Did the update, no issues, no audio and or source dropouts. No CEC issues, although I don't game or even have a PS5, XBox or 8K tv. I've been running new 4K tv, A2A, and new speakers 24/7 switching up to anything and everything performance has been flawless. OSD is fast no lagging, going from analog to HD music, to over the air tv antenna, to streaming to 4K player movie's. Back to just music CD's and than Net Radio. Absolutely no hiccups.
IMG_20211007_162221458~2.jpg

Last edited:
KcMeGa007

KcMeGa007

Audioholic Intern
Hi, I'm very new here and new to this HI FI stuff, I just bought the Yamaha RX A6A, currently OUT OF STOCK ( Visions Electrics Canada ) In Store, so i have to wait for 2 weeks to pick it up ,
Just very curious, how is this receiver perform in Movies ( my mainly usage is Movie viewing ) and for music i like POP music ,
Currently have GoldenEar BRX bookshelf for Front Main speakers and Kef Q150 , Klipsch RM 41 , Energy RC Mini 's , for others
and a cheap Jamo Subwoofer . Last i would like to Sell my previous RECEIVER ( Denon AVR-X4300H ) how much does this system , worth today
this setup is in a small , bedroom size room , and i also want to know, do i still need to buy a Power Amplifier to power my Front (BRX) for a better sound, out of this speaker

Thank you

J

JNMNL52

Enthusiast
Looks good. Too bad they didn't run an FFT like I did. I found some things I'm not thrilled with in how this platform handles 0dBFS input signals. Hoping it can be resolved via firmware. In contact with them now.

Here is a pic of the RX-A6A I have under test.View attachment 50533
How is your evaluation of the A6A coming along? Like many in this forum, I am eagerly waiting to see your assessment before I pull the trigger. Also, looking at the Onkyo RZ50 and Denon 4700H. Looking for discriminators between all three, but the A6A looks pretty darn good to me. I know you will call it like you see it and appreciate the service you provide to the AV community.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
How is your evaluation of the A6A coming along? Like many in this forum, I am eagerly waiting to see your assessment before I pull the trigger. Also, looking at the Onkyo RZ50 and Denon 4700H. Looking for discriminators between all three, but the A6A looks pretty darn good to me. I know you will call it like you see it and appreciate the service you provide to the AV community.
As Gene said, he is waiting for his measurements' response from Yamaha. The company intends to sell this model very expensively, but if Gene had descovered things he was "not thrilled with", it's going to be interesting to see how this pans out.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This thing is a hot mess RN in how it handles digital fullscale and also the amp distortion. I'm biding my time publishing configuration set up tips for fellow owners until I can get some answers from Japan as to if they are working on fixes to what I've found. I'm not thrilled RN as you could imagine.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
@gene as usual outstanding video and review Gene! I've had the Yamaha RX-A1080, but now have the Yamaha RX-A2A, you are spot on with the (extra Bass) being on when your speakers are set to small. I Do Not use the extra Bass set to on in any of my settings for 5.1 which is what my set up consist of as of right now. I don't leave it on when watching movies. Gene, can't thank you enough on what You found with the extra bass thing with the Adventage line. At first I just figured it was me setting something wrong because I do like to tweak some. My speakers where set to small Only for 5.1. I only use it now in 2.1 for music use Only. I do remember reading one of @shadyJ, post and that was a while back, where even James stated he didn't like using the extra Bass set to on because he felt that using it introduced distortion. After your findings it is confirmed. So yeah fellow AH members, follow what Gene has found and use his recommendation on the extra bass setting.

Last edited:
diablo676

diablo676

Junior Audioholic
I was puzzled by the Extra Bass setting and what it seemed to do on my A2080.
A few months ago I set up REW to see what all the settings did when testing the two main speakers plus sub. All seemed to do much what I expected apart from Extra Bass which gave me a curve similar to the one in the video. I always run the mains as small.
It isn't a setting I often use so thought no more about it.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Extra Bass feature is a strange one. It does not work like Onkyo's "Double Bass" and Denon/Marantz' "LFE+Main." Those features just send a duplicate low range signal to the subwoofer when the Front speakers are set at Full Band/Large and are NOT selectable when the Front speakers are set at Small. Yamaha's really is a bass "boost" that one can turn on or off no matter the speaker settings. You wouldn't think you'd find a "boost" setting on anything but a "Ghetto Blaster" from the 80's. Even when Fronts were set at Large on my RX-V6A, I'd swear there was some artificial bass "boost" being applied to the Fronts and the Subs. I don't believe it was simply duplicating the low range signals and sending them to the subs like other receivers. The feature needs to reworked and set for use ONLY when Front speakers are set at Large. Oh, and go ahead and throw in real LPF settings already.;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The Extra Bass feature is a strange one. It does not work like Onkyo's "Double Bass" and Denon/Marantz' "LFE+Main." Those features just send a duplicate low range signal to the subwoofer when the Front speakers are set at Full Band/Large and are NOT selectable when the Front speakers are set at Small. Yamaha's really is a bass "boost" that one can turn on or off no matter the speaker settings. You wouldn't think you'd find a "boost" setting on anything but a "Ghetto Blaster" from the 80's. Even when Fronts were set at Large on my RX-V6A, I'd swear there was some artificial bass "boost" being applied to the Fronts and the Subs. I don't believe it was simply duplicating the low range signals and sending them to the subs like other receivers. The feature needs to reworked and set for use ONLY when Front speakers are set at Large. Oh, and go ahead and throw in real LPF settings already.;)
Somewhere along the line the bass setting changed from “bass both” in older AVRs to “extra bass” which is a bass boost, on Yamaha. My 2003 models were different than my 2016 Yamahas. Possibly it changed in 2010 models. Not sure.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
On a 2013 3020 it gives undesirable results too I played around with it a few times to just see what it does really overblown bass . On my older one you can do something similar but it does a better job I believe it goes LFE to sub or LFE+ mains .

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, I played around with it a lot, than on some sources, was like wait a minute, seems something isn't right started messing around with the PEQ and talk about things got really weird! Had to go back and set everything to flat and start over. Than I read Shady J's post about the extra bass thing. I know just about everyone set's speakers to small no matter how big they are for surround use. Wasn't till I noticed over lapping bass and or bass being cancelled out from my L/R mains. Guy's, our leader Gene is a audio Guru! I've learned sooo much from Gene's website, and from members on AH, sure glad Gene takes time out to throw us some crumbs every now and than. Priceless in my book!

sollyemmy

sollyemmy

Enthusiast
Update on the supply chain and backlog ships waiting on the ports.

The White House is set to announce Wednesday that three of the largest U.S. goods carriers, Walmart, FedEx and UPS, will up their efforts to address supply chain shortages resulting from the coronavirus pandemic.

The carriers "will make commitments towards moving to 24/7 working during off-peak hours" at key ports in Southern California, senior administration officials said on a call Tuesday evening.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

R

RobertQ

Audiophyte
Atmos tracks can cause serious delay. This is especially true when using the Apple TV 4K. It converts the signal to LPCM with atmos metadata. It causes a delay as the receiver tries to sort it out as it looks like DTHD but is actually converted DD+/atmos and finally shows up as atmos/PCM. If the TV's output is set to PCM, it may be causing an issue. To see the incoming signal on the front of the Yamaha, press the Select/Enter knob on the front of the unit and then turn it to display the incoming signal. Try different sources and apps and see what is coming in and how long it takes to sort it out.
I've noticed that if ATV is connected to TV and then TV via eARC to A6A there are couple of workarounds to get rid of the delay. For example if I disable eARC so the tv fallbacks to ARC it then no longer uses DD+ and the delay is gone. Same if I leave eARC but force TV to use DD and not DD+.

If I attach ATV directly to A6A then the delay is back for Atmos tracks - ATV has some options regarding output format and probably this can be workarounded as well, I haven't tried yet.

Last edited:
Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Update on the supply chain and backlog ships waiting on the ports.

The White House is set to announce Wednesday that three of the largest U.S. goods carriers, Walmart, FedEx and UPS, will up their efforts to address supply chain shortages resulting from the coronavirus pandemic.

The carriers "will make commitments towards moving to 24/7 working during off-peak hours" at key ports in Southern California, senior administration officials said on a call Tuesday evening.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
Let's go Brandon!!

Padinn

Padinn

Junior Audioholic
This thing is a hot mess RN in how it handles digital fullscale and also the amp distortion. I'm biding my time publishing configuration set up tips for fellow owners until I can get some answers from Japan as to if they are working on fixes to what I've found. I'm not thrilled RN as you could imagine.
Hmm that doesn't sound good. I've got about 13 days left on my return windoe for the a8. Think full review will be out then?

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
No one knows when Yamaha would reply to his questions.

Practical approach for future, without having to worry about anything is never buy products until fully tested, certified and reviewed.

Padinn

Padinn

Junior Audioholic
No one knows when Yamaha would reply to his questions.

Practical approach for future, without having to worry about anything is never buy products until fully tested, certified and reviewed.
Sure, done that before. Will say the a8 is a slightly different platform (different DAC I believe) so can't say it would be identical issues. It does sound a lot better than my previous low end receiver to my undiscerning ears, so may just keep it. To be honest, im not even educated enough to understand the issues Gene mentioned from a technical perspective.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis