Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
I think I have seen reference to a few other units that are compatible with Dirac's Bass Module, I am just not certain who is using it beyond the HTP-1.
Sounds like in this case Onkyo may just have basic and would need to support them bass module or may just be basic only.

Until I had the Yamaha I’ve always had Onkyo and Pioneer previously so the new Onkyo intrigues me.

Unfortunately due to some unforeseen life changes in my family my viewing room/home theater has been taken over for a bit by reruns of “The Love Boat” but man those horns in the theme song sound just sandy!

Looking on the bright side. It buys me time to consider options until things return to normal. Waiting is always better when tech is involved.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
True bro, I got the A2A coming in Monday or Tuesday, I won't even open it up. I'll send it back, Andrew told me to hold up on getting anything under A4A. I may just pick up a refurbished a1080 with A4L. Probably be better off. Till I can get A4A.
Well I guess if you have to be in the market for an AVR right now, that's good advice from him.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Well I guess if you have to be in the market for an AVR right now, that's good advice from him.
Very true Earl, I didn't have anything need something. I came very close to picking up another A1080 on A4L, $899.00, 18 month warranty. But even Andrew said still better to go with New, 5 year warranty.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Very true Earl, I didn't have anything need something. I came very close to picking up another A1080 on A4L, $899.00, 18 month warranty. But even Andrew said still better to go with New, 5 year warranty.
[/QUOTE

That sounds like good advice from Andrew. I don't think you can go with a Yamaha.

Padinn

Padinn

Junior Audioholic
Hi,
I'm new here :) I picked up the A8A a couple weeks ago. This is my first high end receiver so I am open to guidance on how to get the most from it (I have run the calibration for my 7.1.4 setup). Overall pleased so far, though I am having a recurring issue with audio drop outs when using eARC with my LG C9 with Dolby Digital+ signals. Seems to happen when changing channels on the TV using an OTA, or when using the Disney+ app on the TV (or my Xbox Series X). However, those issues aside (which I am hoping are firmware related) it sounds pretty great to my unrefined ears :)

Will add that, while I am pretty much an audio newbie, I have a lot of familiarity with gaming. Have a Switch/Xbox Series X/PS5/RTX 3090 PC that I will test the HDMI 2.1 functionality with when the firmware is out. So if you have things you want to see when that time comes, let me know.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Hi,
I'm new here :) I picked up the A8A a couple weeks ago. This is my first high end receiver so I am open to guidance on how to get the most from it (I have run the calibration for my 7.1.4 setup). Overall pleased so far, though I am having a recurring issue with audio drop outs when using eARC with my LG C9 with Dolby Digital+ signals. Seems to happen when changing channels on the TV using an OTA, or when using the Disney+ app on the TV (or my Xbox Series X). However, those issues aside (which I am hoping are firmware related) it sounds pretty great to my unrefined ears :)

Will add that, while I am pretty much an audio newbie, I have a lot of familiarity with gaming. Have a Switch/Xbox Series X/PS5/RTX 3090 PC that I will test the HDMI 2.1 functionality with when the firmware is out. So if you have things you want to see when that time comes, let me know.
Congratulations on your Yamaha RX-A8A that AVR is a beast!! Just a note on your audio drop out using eARC, OTA antenna, I've had that issue also. Even lip sync issues with only using OTA antenna changing channels sound will drop out a few seconds come back on. Never could get that worked out, sometimes I'd have to go into the tv settings for audio and turn the tv speakers on and than off again, than audio would be good to go again through the AVR. Not saying that this may be the exact same issue as your having. But for me I believe it was a CEC issue with the TV. Anyways congrats on the new AVR! Oh and Welcome to the AH!

Last edited:
Z

zepaholic

Audioholic
Hi,

Try using Straight mode and see if that helps with your audio drops.
I was having that same issue on Netflix and Hulu and when I went to Straight it worked fine. It seems any audio processing is causing the problems. I just got the A6A. Hope that works.

Padinn

Padinn

Junior Audioholic
Can confirm turning off eARC in LG settings fixed the audio dropping when changing channel. Doesn't fix Disney+ issue. Straight mode didn't fix it with eARC or ARC.

M

Meskin

Audiophyte
Try using Straight mode and see if that helps with your audio drops.
I was having that same issue on Netflix and Hulu and when I went to Straight it worked fine. It seems any audio processing is causing the problems. I just got the A6A. Hope that works.
I have the same issue on an A6A with streaming apps on my Xbox one s. If I set it to audio pass through to receiver the audio turns on and off constantly in streaming apps. If I turn off pass through and the Xbox decodes the bitstream audio and sends to the A6A receiver it plays everything fine without delay. Not sure if it’s Better or worse but with pass through and dropping audio I was getting atmos / dd+. With pass through disabled I get pcm / atmos displayed. Sounds the same to me atmos wise but I am not the best ear for things either.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
when you purchase a Dirac device, the basic license is included. Now, for the Bass Control Module they have an add on licensing fee, and in my knowledge base this is tied to the Monolith HTP-1. IIRC, the first level of the Module fee is $300 and the top level is $500
True. Onkyo has not explicitly clarified whether their new line has Bass Control. It is doubful that Bass Control is present, othrwise they would advertise it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
True. Onkyo has not explicitly clarified whether their new line has Bass Control. It is doubful that Bass Control is present, othrwise they would advertise it.
Agree, it is definitely a step up in equipment. I think Storm has it available for their Processors. Uncertain about Emo... (though Emo still seems to be a complete sh!tshow in terms of their gear functioning right).

R

Rare80s

Audiophyte
hi just gone from a 3800 to the 8A, so far ok, but one thing i DONT like is the music cast APP, give me the old app AV Controller any day with access to everything its way easier, its really putting me off it to be honest, why change something that's working fantastically!

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
hi just gone from a 3800 to the 8A, so far ok, but one thing i DONT like is the music cast APP, give me the old app AV Controller any day with access to everything its way easier, its really putting me off it to be honest, why change something that's working fantastically!
Nice!! Now you gotta post up some photos please!! We likea photos on AH. I don't believe anyone likes the new music cast app, I didn't, and your right the old app works great so ya why go and change.

R

Rare80s

Audiophyte
Nice!! Now you gotta post up some photos please!! We likea photos on AH. I don't believe anyone likes the new music cast app, I didn't, and your right the old app works great so ya why go and change.
ok will do

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Not sure if anyone has covered this or not but I am looking at the RX-A6A and was curious as to its Bluetooth transmit. I would like to be able to listen on headphones during late nights not to wake the family. However, it reads as if there isn't any transmit available. So I called Yamaha and ask the question and they stated it does support Bluetooth transmit however the headphones need to support SCMS-T (Serial Copy Management System). I've not heard of this requirement before and cant seem to find headphones that support this. Does anyone have input on this requirement? Seem silly to even need SCMS-T for Bluetooth...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Because the the 8A has 0.00000000001% better THD.
Oh yeah, I mean I can definitely hear the difference there. :D

But I thought he got it for the 8K video, which I can definitely see the difference and there are also tons of 8K contents. :D

But I think the main reason is to have a BACKUP. Everyone needs a Backup AVR. :D

Last edited:
TheLamonster

TheLamonster

Audioholic Intern
I felt the same way, but you'll get used to it. The only thing I still don't like is not being able to see the numerical values on the sliders (like subwoofer trim, etc.).

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Anyone who has Yamaha's new RX- A2A, A4A, A6A, A8A. Make sure You register your purchase on Yamaha USA website, You need to do this in order to get the extra 2 years of warranty. They come with 3 year's of warranty, when you register your new Adventage AVR you will get the promotional extra 2 years for a total of 5 years warranty. You'll also get a certificate to download confirming your extra 2 years of warranty. Now this Only applies to the New Adventage line. Just a heads-up for new Yamaha owners. I'm enjoying my new A2A, no issues are all!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis