Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Your A2A operate at 18 Gbps now (HDMI 2.0b). V6A and A2A have the same board and qualify for free board replacement scheme. Once boards are replaced, those AVRs will be able to operate at 24 Gbps max (semi-HDMI 2.1).
I read that , but didn't Yamaha say, are was it posted up on their website that the Aventage line was being held back so they could update the HDMI board? I may be wrong on that. Wait, I just read that article through the link, that's the article. So Dam!! If and when I do get PS5, I'll run video out from PS5 to TV. But still dam, should get what you pay for. That's like getting a hamburger without the meat.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
I read that , but didn't Yamaha say, are was it posted up on their website that the Aventage line was being held back so they could update the HDMI board? I may be wrong on that.
Only the three higher tier models form 2021, A4A, A6AS asnd A8A, have 40 Gbps chips installed.
2020 models have faulty HDMi 2.1 chips, hence board replacement was announced for V4A, V6A and A2A. Those three lower tier models should eventually operate at 24 Gbps, once new boards are swapped.

That's why A2A model got a nickname "Dis-Aventage".

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Wait, I just read that article through the link, that's the article. So Dam!!
Exactly... Our tech community asked the editor Rasmus Larsen from FlatPanelsHD to investigate it with Yamaha. And they finally admitted, after one year, that 2020 models would host 24 Gbps chips, including A2A.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Only the three higher tier models form 2021, A4A, A6AS asnd A8A, have 40 Gbps chips installed.
2020 models have faulty HDMi 2.1 chips, hence board replacement was announced for V4A, V6A and A2A. Those three lower tier models should eventually operate at 24 Gbps, once new boards are swapped.

That's why A2A model got a nickname "Dis-Aventage".
Than I won't even open it up when it comes in Tuesday, it will go back . Andrew has been trying to get me the A4A he can't, not yet he check's everyday with his distributor. I'll pickup a refurbished unit from A4L till Andrew can get ahold of the A4A.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
very glossy....not sure I care for that at all...
True bro, I got the A2A coming in Monday or Tuesday, I won't even open it up. I'll send it back, Andrew told me to hold up on getting anything under A4A. I may just pick up a refurbished a1080 with A4L. Probably be better off. Till I can get A4A.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Man, I tell you guys, when I was with a GM dealership we'd get the new car models in, with yep you guess it, defects and or issues with onboard computers sensors or just about anything that wasn't ready. We'd get some really pissed off customers that just dropped 40, 50K on a new car or truck and it was in the shop for issues. Now we don't pay anywhere near that much for our audio gear but still it's frustrating.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Those units sent to Yamaha for new boards will not be fully functional upon return, either. They will still require a firmware update after the hardware update.:confused: There will never be a TV, console and AVR combo that does it ALL. Never has been, never will be. Sony and Microsoft could have made some peoples' lives easier by including two HDMI outputs. Shame on Sony because they already do it on some blu-ray players. I've passed on new consoles for years because they never put one out that was a good gaming unit and fully functional disc player. There was always a catch. I don't think the next gen consoles will offer disc drives at all but some won't care if they finally get up to 48gbps and have full HDMI 2.1 features and shrink in size. The current form factors are just ridiculous.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Those units sent to Yamaha for new boards will not be fully functional upon return, either. They will still require a firmware update after the hardware update.:confused: There will never be a TV, console and AVR combo that does it ALL. Never has been, never will be. Sony and Microsoft could have made some peoples' lives easier by including two HDMI outputs. Shame on Sony because they already do it on some blu-ray players. I've passed on new consoles for years because they never put one out that was a good gaming unit and fully functional disc player. There was always a catch. I don't think the next gen consoles will offer disc drives at all but some won't care if they finally get up to 48gbps and have full HDMI 2.1 features and shrink in size. The current form factors are just ridiculous.
I know, I been sitting here debating whether or not I should send it back, but I won't be getting a PS5 anytime soon. I may never get one plus no 8K tv also. My Son's tell me to just get PS4 Pro instead. You right nothing is perfect not in this game. Like Gene would say, always going to be trade off's, so guess I'll open it open and give it a test run see if I like it.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m pretty confident I may avoid 8K and PS5 and Xbox for another several years. I have Nintendo Switch and Wii. :)

I am more interested about how the A6A performs in Gene’s measurements than the HDMI stuff.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
^While I agree with friend Snake to a large degree, the thing I keep bumping up against is that for the cost to upgrade, I need something that is going to hold it down for 5+ years. By then, I will expect to be fully into the 2.1 tech, including a PS5. (And if Bethesda is really only going to be Xbox exclusive I will likely need one of those too!)
I just can't justify spending Upgrade Money on a product that isn't doing something that I can't already get on my 2017 Marantz.
So it's HDMI 2.1 or bust, as nothing else is a must-have looking ahead for 5-7+yrs.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I don't think AVRs, consoles and TVs will work in HDMI 2.1 harmony for a couple of years. Some are connecting consoles directly to their TVs and using eARC to get audio back to their eARC capable receivers. Those with just ARC receivers lose out on lossless audio and some of those using eARC have their own issues with ALLM, HDR and VRR from the console to the TV anyway. It's just not all there yet and may never be. But, if you are happy with the audio from your current setup and have no use for 4k@120, you've already won, at least until Dolby comes out with full on "Atmosphere" and insists you need speakers in your floor. No worries, you can put up-firing modules against the base boards and trip over the little f#%kers every time you go to refill your drink.;)

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
…No worries, you can put up-firing modules against the base boards and trip over the little f#%kers every time you go to refill your drink.;)
You guys still have to get up to get drinks? How quaint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Does the new Onkyo with Dirac require extra money to get licensed for Dirac?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
My help walked out, something about me being an a#%hole. Imagine!;)

M

Meskin

Audiophyte
Gr
Looks good. Too bad they didn't run an FFT like I did. I found some things I'm not thrilled with in how this platform handles 0dBFS input signals. Hoping it can be resolved via firmware. In contact with them now.

Here is a pic of the RX-A6A I have under test.View attachment 50533
Edit, never mind, I saw your YouTube post about it having great preamp power to down stream devices. Thanks for pushing some of this data pre your overall bench test and review.

Great, early adoption of the a6a and out of my return window. Was hoping to have a sure win based on the price tag. Would this issue cause me future challenges with driving fronts from a secondary amp? My plan is to take this from a 9. to a 11. system in the future via preouts to amp dedicated to the fronts without clipping.

Last edited:
XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
No. It's built in.
Thanks. Am I thinking of something else where you typically have to license it for extra on other AVR’s?

Eventually my stop gap V6A/tsr700 will be replaced for something with additional channels. I can already see I want at least two more once I figure out how to arrange my room to fit in surround backs.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks. Am I thinking of something else where you typically have to license it for extra on other AVR’s?

Eventually my stop gap V6A/tsr700 will be replaced for something with additional channels. I can already see I want at least two more once I figure out how to arrange my room to fit in surround backs.

This isn't the end-all answer here, but from what I've seen, when you purchase a Dirac device, the basic license is included. Now, for the Bass Control Module they have an add on licensing fee, and in my knowledge base this is tied to the Monolith HTP-1. IIRC, the first level of the Module fee is $300 and the top level is $500. Where the basic Dirac will do very well, the First Level license expands on the capabilities for dialing in single Sub and the Top Level is for Multi Sub implementation.
The downside is in the use of Output slots for the unit and people get grumpy about losing the possibility of using Wides, Heights and Tops to Sub Channels. Dirac with Bass Control will not work the way it is meant through use of a MiniDSP 4x4 or Daisy Chain, etc: each Sub needs it's own Channel.
I think I have seen reference to a few other units that are compatible with Dirac's Bass Module, I am just not certain who is using it beyond the HTP-1.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis