PSA subwoofers. I talked with Tom

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry guys, I ended up getting pretty busy yesterday and did not have time to take and reply to this thread. I want to seriously thank everyone for their input here. Things that I would not have thought of before came up and I believe it's good to have a little back and forth on the thoughts that go into some of our posts. My eyes are open now bit I think I'm still going to give psa a chance. The most that I believe bad can happen is pay for return shipping, on the other end I could end up with an amazing sub or 2 out of this. Thanks everyone.
Please, please let us know exactly what you think when you get them.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry guys, I ended up getting pretty busy yesterday and did not have time to take and reply to this thread. I want to seriously thank everyone for their input here. Things that I would not have thought of before came up and I believe it's good to have a little back and forth on the thoughts that go into some of our posts. My eyes are open now bit I think I'm still going to give psa a chance. The most that I believe bad can happen is pay for return shipping, on the other end I could end up with an amazing sub or 2 out of this. Thanks everyone.
Bro Tom's a great guy although I didn't buy from him I had a great convo with him and went a different direction some of that based on his advice. Bro have fun with your new subs and please let us know your thoughts when you get them!!!!

K

kxthor

Junior Audioholic
Bro Tom's a great guy although I didn't buy from him I had a great convo with him and went a different direction some of that based on his advice. Bro have fun with your new subs and please let us know your thoughts when you get them!!!!
Thanks sir, I ordered one of the v1812s. Just to see if it agrees with me. If all goes well in that 2 months I plan to order another.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just for the record, I don't think anyone has suggested PSA doesn't make good products. There's no shortage of happy people with PSA gear. There are questions over the lack of measurements, but by no means does that automatically mean they suck.

K

kxthor

Junior Audioholic
Just for the record, I don't think anyone has suggested PSA doesn't make good products. There's no shortage of happy people with PSA gear. There are questions over the lack of measurements, but by no means does that automatically mean they suck.
I'm just a rookie not really sure what I want. This is a casual hobby for me. I have no measuring gear ect. Now having said that I may get more into it in the near future when adding a second sub. Thanks for your input :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm just a rookie not really sure what I want. This is a casual hobby for me. I have no measuring gear ect. Now having said that I may get more into it in the near future when adding a second sub. Thanks for your input :)
I have a feeling you're going to be very happy with your new sub. It's definitely a beast.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
Thanks sir, I ordered one of the v1812s. Just to see if it agrees with me. If all goes well in that 2 months I plan to order another.
I forgot to ask you, will this sub be used for music or movies?

Music only then the V1812 will work great.
Movies? The V1812 wouldn't be my choice...as the port tune is only 19hz...
I would opt for the new lower tuned eV1812 which has the same cabinet design but with a 15-16hz port tune.

If you can swing the extra cash, I would highly recommend the TV1812 which has a 12hz port tune or even the TV2112.

K

kxthor

Junior Audioholic
I forgot to ask you, will this sub be used for music or movies?

Music only then the V1812 will work great.
Movies? The V1812 wouldn't be my choice...as the port tune is only 19hz...
I would opt for the new lower tuned eV1812 which has the same cabinet design but with a 15-16hz port tune.

If you can swing the extra cash, I would highly recommend the TV1812 which has a 12hz port tune or even the TV2112.
The v1812s are now being sold as ev1812s. Tom said it would be awhile before the website gets updated. I did ask about the 2112 and he said it was not quite 2 of the 1812 as far as output goes. I will be getting a second 1812 in the future or returning and getting the 2112. The tv1812 didn't make since to get for me as height was the issue not width or depth. I didn't know how my better half would like the 21 or I would have bought that now ha. Thanks for your time and input as well.

Edit to add - Tom did say that they have sold 50 or so of the new ev model and none have been returned. He seemed confident that I would be happy.

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
Ok that's awesome, I didn't know that. Yeah the eV1812 will be great.

I probably will have bought that instead of the TV1812, the TV18 is massive, I'm lucky I have an understanding wife.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Great post Shady.

I think chuffing is quite often overblown. I've seen negative comments about the HSU VTF-3 MK5 chuffing and it's never been an issue for me. Have I heard them chuff? Yes, during that ridiculous, unintentionally deep tone at the beginning of Edge of Tomorrow. I think I read that tone is like 11 hz? Who on earth is regularly playing tones that deep for normal listening?? What ported sub wouldn't chuff trying to play that? It's unrealistic to judge a sub based on a tone like that.
The dumb thing about using the Edge of Tomorrow scene is that tone lay well under the tuning frequency of most ported subs. So you see dumb YouTubers or social media people bragging about how their ported subs rock with the beginning of that movie, but the vast majority of ported subs can not reproduce that tone at all. They are just producing distortion and noise. The only ported subs that have a chance of reproducing that scene that is faithful to the signal is maybe the deep tuned JTR subs. Those are gigantic subs.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The dumb thing about using the Edge of Tomorrow scene is that tone lay well under the tuning frequency of most ported subs. So you see dumb YouTubers or social media people bragging about how their ported subs rock with the beginning of that movie, but the vast majority of ported subs can not reproduce that tone at all. They are just producing distortion and noise. The only ported subs that have a chance of reproducing that scene that is faithful to the signal is maybe the deep tuned JTR subs. Those are gigantic subs.
Shady, how deep would the Sub need to be tuned? down around 10-12hz? Higher, but with enormous ports to handle the air velocity?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
....or very large sealed subs like Deep Sea Sounds....especially if you have several of them :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shady, how deep would the Sub need to be tuned? down around 10-12hz? Higher, but with enormous ports to handle the air velocity?
Bingo, tuning to around that range. You don't necessarily need huge ports to handle that air velocity, it depends on the kind of output you are after. Larger ports = more output and less chuffing, but they need a larger enclosure. It all depends on your performance targets.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Bingo, tuning to around that range. You don't necessarily need huge ports to handle that air velocity, it depends on the kind of output you are after. Larger ports = more output and less chuffing, but they need a larger enclosure. It all depends on your performance targets.
135dB at 8Hz.
Wut.

:p

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe someone could model that sub. I wouldn't be surprised if it had to be as large as an apartment building with ports as large as sewer pipes and required dozens of 24" drivers.
Don't forget a small nuclear reactor to power it... oh, and the cost reinforcing the foundation, too!

It may come with a warning about not using near active Fault Lines, Volcanoes, or Avalanche Zones.

Come to think... it may just be easier to get my hands on one of those fancy rotary Subs. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis