What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My wife and I just sold off our rental house. The final closing was last Friday. Cheque is in the bank. Enough to pay off our mortgage on our house, and have a nice chunk left over.

I persuaded her to let me take a small piece of it (6k) to spend for myself. Just ordered my new L/C/R Paradigm Premiere 800F & 600C speakers in the Espresso Grain. Dealer said 10~14 days before they're in. Can't wait.

That's 3,700$ of my 6k gone. By next week, I should have about another 1,200$ saved up as well. What to spend the remaining 4,500$ I'll have on ;) (looking at an ATS, maybe an external amp, or maybe save up for a new AVR)
Nice. I'd treat myself too if I didn't have a mortgage anymore.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Nice. I'd treat myself too if I didn't have a mortgage anymore.
Yeah, I figured I'd be working for another 10 or so years to pay off my mortgage. But the stars aligned themselves, and well here I am at the young age of 48 and mortgage free. Now I need to start saving more for retirement. But first, a few more upgrades to the HT room............:p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thought this looked good until I tried to set it up, just finished boxing it up for return.... https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/cloud-storage/wd-my-cloud-home-duo#WDBMUT0040JWT-NESN

After getting a bunch of music files loaded up (but only a few gigs to test it out with fortunately) and getting frustrated trying to actually play the files, I found this little warning in the WD support area:
Important:
The My Cloud Home Public Share is designed and implemented for Windows File Backup. It is not designed for local LAN storage access. Although is can be accessed on Windows and macOS, it was not designed to be used as local LAN storage. Please use WD Discovery and the User Private Space for your My Cloud Home content storage needs."

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Also bought the new Amazon Fire Cube. I'd bought the Firestick 4k at Christmas time there and we really like it. It was easy to use and set up, which is key for my wife and daughter. My only issue with it is that is doesn't support Atmos, and I'm likely heading that way with the HT room. The cube was on sale at Best Buy, so I ordered it online and picked it up on my way home from work yesterday.

I wonder if Bezos and Amazon are actually Borg sent from the future "you will be assimilated" o_O

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Thought this looked good until I tried to set it up, just finished boxing it up for return.... https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/cloud-storage/wd-my-cloud-home-duo#WDBMUT0040JWT-NESN

After getting a bunch of music files loaded up (but only a few gigs to test it out with fortunately) and getting frustrated trying to actually play the files, I found this little warning in the WD support area:
Important:
The My Cloud Home Public Share is designed and implemented for Windows File Backup. It is not designed for local LAN storage access. Although is can be accessed on Windows and macOS, it was not designed to be used as local LAN storage. Please use WD Discovery and the User Private Space for your My Cloud Home content storage needs."
I don't know what model My Cloud you bought, but I've had a My Cloud 2TB for several years and it absolutely can be and is used as an NAS device. I notice most of them now have only a USB 3.0 connection. Mine is Ethernet (RJ-45) or USB2.0, so obviously the Ethernet connection is far faster. Those with only USB connection really wouldn't be good file servers.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Also bought the new Amazon Fire Cube. I'd bought the Firestick 4k at Christmas time there and we really like it. It was easy to use and set up, which is key for my wife and daughter. My only issue with it is that is doesn't support Atmos, and I'm likely heading that way with the HT room. The cube was on sale at Best Buy, so I ordered it online and picked it up on my way home from work yesterday.

I wonder if Bezos and Amazon are actually Borg sent from the future "you will be assimilated" o_O
I bought the 1st Gen cube for cheap like 6 months ago and it supports Atmos on my Prime shows that support Atmos on a couple of shows. I can't check Netflix right now cause I just downgraded yesterday to 480p/540p for now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know what model My Cloud you bought, but I've had a My Cloud 2TB for several years and it absolutely can be and is used as an NAS device. I notice most of them now have only a USB 3.0 connection. Mine is Ethernet (RJ-45) or USB2.0, so obviously the Ethernet connection is far faster. Those with only USB connection really wouldn't be good file servers.
It was specifically the My Cloud Home Duo model. Generally looking around their "support" (since it isn't covered in the manual) this device is great for anything you can load their software onto (WD Discovery etc) but having "dumb" devices access that is something else...I just wanted a simple NAS and this ain't it.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Too bad they gave up on their My Net router/NAS combo and WD TV Live Hub. I have an N900C that I no longer use as a router. I did enjoy using the My Cloud feature and could send pics home from my phone when on a trip or stream music to my phone from home. Now using it as NAS only and it feeds movies and music to devices on my network. Can't seem to figure out how to get the My Cloud feature to work when it is behind another router as it only works in router mode and not when used solely as NAS.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
New Laptop with 6 core AMD processor 16 gb Ram 512 gb SSD drive. Should be here tomorrow . Can't wait!

1622493267040.png

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I got myself a new plaything measurement microphone: An Earthworks Audio M23R omnimic that can be used for recording as well.

Wow. That’s no joke. I’m expecting to be adding a better mic to my kit soon, but first I need things to test! :)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Two ceramic water filters. For the last couple years, our water dept has been what seems to be mega-dosing with chlorine and chloramine at random, which makes the water undrinkable. Water is my main beverage, since I don't drink soft drinks, or even iced tea, these days. Bought a new filter for the fridge, but we don't have enough water pressure to pass thru it. I am pretty sure they have lowered the pressure due to drought, and overpopulation. I will test the pressure this weekend, but I doubt there's even 20#.

So, I made a drip water filter with these two filters out of Homer 5 gallon buckets. I chose the solid colors so light doesn't promote algae over time. Even though I will be able to clean these regularly. The ceramic eventually wears away, sort of like a very hard bar of soap, but only after treating thousands of gallons.

Probably not a bad thing to have since we also have hurricane emergencies at any given time. This filter removes something like 99.9999% of contaminants, including bacteria. Will not filter viruses, fluoride/arsenic but woould be boiling water anyway, in the event of an emergency.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Wow. That’s no joke. I’m expecting to be adding a better mic to my kit soon, but first I need things to test! :)
These microphones lasts for decades if taken care of, and has low enough self-noise to be used for other things than just measurements. This is my second Earthworks Audio microphone, the other one I bought for use in video meetings and is a microphone for vocals. Again, last for decades with proper care.

I don't mind spending money if the things I buy is of very good quality, fit for purpose and last for a long time.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
To complement the open back Beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition 250 Ohm headphones I ordered the closed back DT 1770. Sometimes I or my wife wants to watch Netflix/HBO in our living room, and then closed back headphones would be nice in our office.

Our two pairs of DT 880 Edition are eight years old and new ear pads are needed:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Bunch of stuff lol. Lots of car parts for the new hatch. I finally picked up the 2010 STI hatchback over the weekend and while it has plenty done to it already, I ended up buying a slew of things I wanted to change out from what the previous owner had done and fixes for some minor things. Some parts swapped over from my old car, but a lot are up for sale.

It had a ripped ebrake boot. Fortunately I had just bought alcantara shift and ebrake boots for the sedan and was able to swap the one from there over.

Driver's seat has a rip in the leather, the alcantara is OK but was not cared for, so looking for a new set of front seats.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Acrylic platter and carbon brush for my Project turntable. The metal platter on the EVO does have a dampening ring but still vibrates a bit. I mostly got it for aesthetic reasons though. ;)
20210602_175036.jpg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis