SVS 1000 Pro Series Subwoofer Review

D

DocSteve

Enthusiast
I have dual PB1000, not the pros. These are in a 15x30 room with vaulted ceilings. I dont think it would be worth the while to upgrade to the PB 1000 pros.

W

wmarkw

Audiophyte
I currently have the Klipsch Reference R-112SW Subwoofer w/ the wireless kit. I think it sounds awesome. Would the PB-1000 Pro be a significant upgrade or are the comparable? Also would my klipsch WA-2 Wireless Subwoofer Kit work on the SVS? Nice review. Thanks!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi, there is a mistake in the review.

Audioholics PB-2000 CEA 2010 (2 meter RMS)

20Hz 103.8 dB
25Hz 107.6 dB
31.5Hz 109.6 dB
40Hz 110.1 dB
50Hz 110.5 dB
63Hz 111.5 dB

(2M Peak are +3dB)

So, your PB1000 PRO measurements is not 2M RMS. It´s 2M peak (-6dB than 1M peak)

PB2000 (500W RMS/1100W) is better than PB1000 PRO.
There is no mistake. All burst measurements for all reviews are stated in 2m RMS. The PB-1000 Pro has some real advantages over the original 2000 series. However, its performance isn't totally better, and there are some ways in which the original 2000 subs are superior.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I currently have the Klipsch Reference R-112SW Subwoofer w/ the wireless kit. I think it sounds awesome. Would the PB-1000 Pro be a significant upgrade or are the comparable? Also would my klipsch WA-2 Wireless Subwoofer Kit work on the SVS? Nice review. Thanks!
I think the SVS PB-1000 Pro sub would be a significant upgrade over the Klipsch, but personally, I would save for a sub that is one step up so you get a really tangible upgrade. The PB-1000 Pro will easily outperform the Klipsch sub, but I would aim for something that is an overwhelmingly night-and-day difference.

I don't believe the Klipsch wireless system would work with anything other than certain Audiovox brand subs like Klipsch, Jamo, etc. The reason is the sub needs a proprietary 'WA' port that is only found in those brand subs.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I have dual PB1000, not the pros. These are in a 15x30 room with vaulted ceilings. I don't think it would be worth the while to upgrade to the PB 1000 pros.
What you would gain primarily is the DSP correction with the phone app and maybe a couple of Hz in bass extension. If you're looking for deeper bass extension and more SPL you should be looking at the 2000 Pro or better.

B

bladerunner6

Audioholic
I think the SVS PB-1000 Pro sub would be a significant upgrade over the Klipsch, but personally, I would save for a sub that is one step up so you get a really tangible upgrade. The PB-1000 Pro will easily outperform the Klipsch sub, but I would aim for something that is an overwhelmingly night-and-day difference.

I don't believe the Klipsch wireless system would work with anything other than certain Audiovox brand subs like Klipsch, Jamo, etc. The reason is the sub needs a proprietary 'WA' port that is only found in those brand subs.
Would dual PB-1000 Pro’d be night and day? I am going to be upgrading from a BIC 1220

W

wmarkw

Audiophyte

Thanks! Can you list a few? I need a sub that has wireless capabilities so that will probably be few and far between.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks! Can you list a few? I need a sub that has wireless capabilities so that will probably be few and far between.
Actually any sub with RCA inputs can use a wireless adapter. The added USB ports on some allows you to power the adapter without an extra power brick. SVS just released a really nice wireless unit. Maybe upgrade to an SVS PB-3000 or something from Hsu? Would help to know the size of the room.

F

fudoken

Audiophyte
PB1000 ..... PRO .... XTZ 1X12 .... PB2000 .... 12.17 edge

20hz 99.8 .... 101.2 .... 99.6 ... .... 106.8 ...... .......98
25hz 102.9 .... 107.3 .... 105.7 ... ... 110.6 ...... ... 105
31hz 104 .... 107.7 .... 110.2 .... ... 112.6 .... .. .... 111
40hz 107.4 .... 110.6 .... 113.7 .... ... 113.1 ...... ... 115
50hz 109.5 ... 113.1 .... 114 ... ... 113.5 ... ... .... 116
63hz 109 .... 114.4 ... 113.1 ... ... 114.5 ....... .... 115
80hz 108.4 ... 113.6 .... 112.4 ... ... ........... ...... 115

Klipsch r115.... Arendal1723 1S

20hz 102.7 .... 98.9
25hz 107.8 .... 105
31hz 112.6 .... 108.3
40hz 115.4 .... 111.9
50hz 118.7 .... 115
63hz 117.3 ..... 115.6

2M PEAK (-6dB 1m PEAK)

T

TomS

Enthusiast
Hi Shady, great review! I have a 15 by 15 family room theater, that is open in the back to the rest of the house. I am currently using a single SVS PB 12 NSD located at the front of the room, inside the left front speaker. Everything sounds excellent, and I am happy with the output and smoothness of the bass, but my wife unfortunately complains often about the "big ugly black box" sitting at the front of the family room. She would prefer white and small, so I was wondering would 2 SB 1000 pros placed either in the front corners or inside the front speakers give similar output and response to a single PB 12 NSD?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Shady, great review! I have a 15 by 15 family room theater, that is open in the back to the rest of the house. I am currently using a single SVS PB 12 NSD located at the front of the room, inside the left front speaker. Everything sounds excellent, and I am happy with the output and smoothness of the bass, but my wife unfortunately complains often about the "big ugly black box" sitting at the front of the family room. She would prefer white and small, so I was wondering would 2 SB 1000 pros placed either in the front corners or inside the front speakers give similar output and response to a single PB 12 NSD?
I'm not Shady, but it is an important thing to understand that front wall placements are not always the best for good quality bass. Likewise, with an open floor plan, another important consideration is that Low Frequency Soundwaves will be affected by the total open-room volume the Subwoofer is exposed too, not just the arbitrary dimensions of a user-defined listening area.
While most here will agree that multiple Subs are usually preferred in any HT or Music setup, proper placement of them for best acoustic effect is a necessity. Of course, having said that, I fully understand that what the room acoustics dictate is not always in line with the livability issue. ;) We all have imperfections and limits in our rooms (and yes, I expect a good number of custom built dedicated rooms share this unfortunate reality, too!). In light of this, we do have to work with what we have.
I get it.

With all of that in mind, I would absolutely recommend against almost any sealed subwoofer you are likely to consider due to SAF. You will sacrifice a great deal of output where it matters most just due to the open plan of your home and the physics involved in the performance of such small enclosures. Two PB1000 Pros or perhaps 2 PB/PC 2000 Pros would serve you far better from a pure performance aspect.

Hopefully you are able to find a mutually beneficial middle ground where your Lady and your HT can coexist!

T

TomS

Enthusiast
I'm not Shady, but it is an important thing to understand that front wall placements are not always the best for good quality bass. Likewise, with an open floor plan, another important consideration is that Low Frequency Soundwaves will be affected by the total open-room volume the Subwoofer is exposed too, not just the arbitrary dimensions of a user-defined listening area.
While most here will agree that multiple Subs are usually preferred in any HT or Music setup, proper placement of them for best acoustic effect is a necessity. Of course, having said that, I fully understand that what the room acoustics dictate is not always in line with the livability issue. ;) We all have imperfections and limits in our rooms (and yes, I expect a good number of custom built dedicated rooms share this unfortunate reality, too!). In light of this, we do have to work with what we have.
I get it.

With all of that in mind, I would absolutely recommend against almost any sealed subwoofer you are likely to consider due to SAF. You will sacrifice a great deal of output where it matters most just due to the open plan of your home and the physics involved in the performance of such small enclosures. Two PB1000 Pros or perhaps 2 PB/PC 2000 Pros would serve you far better from a pure performance aspect.

Hopefully you are able to find a mutually beneficial middle ground where your Lady and your HT can coexist!
Thanks Ryanasour -

As to the front wall placement, there is really no choice - just no where else I can put a sub or subs - the good news is I get a pretty smooth response right now across my 4 seats with my current mid-wall placement inside the left front tower. I tried corner placements in both front corners, but the bass was boomier and could be localized, so at least that bit of flexibility helped things!

I actually started with a PC 2000, but my wife took one look at it and said no way is that thing going in the living room! I returned it and picked up the PB 12 NSD on closeout, and am quite satisfied with the output, so I was hoping 2 smaller sealed subs would be equivalent to the PB 12 NSD - I guess that is my question - what are the smallest sealed subwoofers that two of them would be equivalent to the PB 12 NSD? If nothing, then I guess I will keep fighting the battle to keep my big, ugly black box!

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I think the PB-1000 Pro would be a pretty night and day difference from that BIC 1220.
I'm thinking about getting rid of the PB16 Ultra and going with the Rythmik E22. I've read that the rythmik subs are a little tighter and better sounding. PB16 ultra can sound muddy sometimes. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing sub, but just feel like trying something different.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks Ryanasour -

As to the front wall placement, there is really no choice - just no where else I can put a sub or subs - the good news is I get a pretty smooth response right now across my 4 seats with my current mid-wall placement inside the left front tower. I tried corner placements in both front corners, but the bass was boomier and could be localized, so at least that bit of flexibility helped things!

I actually started with a PC 2000, but my wife took one look at it and said no way is that thing going in the living room! I returned it and picked up the PB 12 NSD on closeout, and am quite satisfied with the output, so I was hoping 2 smaller sealed subs would be equivalent to the PB 12 NSD - I guess that is my question - what are the smallest sealed subwoofers that two of them would be equivalent to the PB 12 NSD? If nothing, then I guess I will keep fighting the battle to keep my big, ugly black box!
Well, the nice thing about SVS is you can try it and return them if you aren't happy with the results.
I'm not super familiar with the 12NSDs... but again, switching from ported to sealed is going to reveal some limitations, especially going with the smallest sealed enclosures available.

T

TomS

Enthusiast
Thanks - I understand what you are saying about the output limitations of sealed v ported, that's why I was wondering if having 2 sealed subs (preferably in white) could make up for those limitations - Maybe Rythmik F12's? I have 15 inch window-sills that my wife would like the subs to fit under-

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks Ryanasour -

Well as far as switching to sealed. It can take as many as four comparable sealed subs to match the output below roughly 35hz. The nsd is a pretty good sub, and I would expect at least a pair of sb3000 to match its output at 20hz, but going up past the 30ish range the sb3k will destroy the nsd. (refreshing my brain with current measurements might help to know for sure) I know those won’t pass!!! Lol

As far as waf goes, we all have our own battles there. FWIW, 2/3 of my subs are pc12pluses, and my wife hates them. Hates my towers too which are just as big. But I pay for the mortgage too, so...
We usually find a middle ground though, so hopefully you guys can iron something out to make you both happy.
Again, if you do end up going sealed, just know that you will lose a LOT of low end prowess.

T

TomS

Enthusiast
Well as far as switching to sealed. It can take as many as four comparable sealed subs to match the output below roughly 35hz. The nsd is a pretty good sub, and I would expect at least a pair of sb3000 to match its output at 20hz, but going up past the 30ish range the sb3k will destroy the nsd. (refreshing my brain with current measurements might help to know for sure) I know those won’t pass!!! Lol

As far as waf goes, we all have our own battles there. FWIW, 2/3 of my subs are pc12pluses, and my wife hates them. Hates my towers too which are just as big. But I pay for the mortgage too, so...
We usually find a middle ground though, so hopefully you guys can iron something out to make you both happy.
Again, if you do end up going sealed, just know that you will lose a LOT of low end prowess.
Ok, so if I understand you correctly, 2 SB 3000's would be roughly equivalent to 1 PB 12 NSD, but 2 SB 1000 pros would not get it done, right? What do you think about 2 Rythmik F12s (which come in white, unlike the SB 3000's)?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Two SB-1000 Pros will have a lot more mid-bas output, but even two won't quite match the deep bass output of the PB12-NSD. Overall it would probably be an upgrade. If you can make the stretch, look at getting two SB-3000s which are a big upgrade over the SB-1000 Pros and a very serous upgrade over the PB12-NSD.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok, so if I understand you correctly, 2 SB 3000's would be roughly equivalent to 1 PB 12 NSD, but 2 SB 1000 pros would not get it done, right? What do you think about 2 Rythmik F12s (which come in white, unlike the SB 3000's)?
In deep bass, that’s basically right. In midbass even the sb1000 pros as a pair should be better than the nsd, but below about 35 I’d say the nsd would be better. There’s the potential for FR smoothing with multiples, but placement is key there just as with a single.
I like Rythmik subs, and will likely replace my SVS’s with a pair by them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis