Getting That Itch Again...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's just like a speaker and you hook it to a separate amp. I'm using one of my sub preouts, running a rca from there to the amp the seller gave me. I could use spare channels on my Monolith too, should I want to since I have the MiniDSP. I think the Mono can do it pretty easily for a nearfield setup. Especially if I... BI AMP! :p

I do have a ground loop tho... I can hear it coming from the 1212 when nothing is playing and I get close to it. Like ear a couple inches away. Sounds higher than 60 hz too. I'm guessing distance and using a connector between 2 rca's isn't helping.
Might try lifting the ground on the Behringer amp to see if that's it?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks, I've been procrastinating but I really want to try it. Need a 25 foot RCA cable and I'm ready to go.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
You know you can always hit us up here! You having Audyssey will help a lot with setting distances and levels. I think that PB1000 nearfield with the 2000 Pro up front might be next level for you. Get that bad boy firing right into the back of your seat!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Lift the ground? You mean the power cord? I don't think I have a grounding wire.
Yeah that's what I would try first try one of those 2 prong plugs just to see if you can tell if the amp is causing the ground loop

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
You know you can always hit us up here! You having Audyssey will help a lot with setting distances and levels. I think that PB1000 nearfield with the 2000 Pro up front might be next level for you. Get that bad boy firing right into the back of your seat!
Well now that's motivation! Great, I have a project afoot this week. Oh I'm off Friday, maybe I'll order the RCA cable now so it's here for Friday so I can experiment.
Full disclosure on the situation. We have a curved couch. The PB-1000 would fit snug behind it in the corner. One side would be up against the wall, the other against the couch. The woofer side would have some daylight because of the curve but would be pretty close to the couch. The back where the controls are would be open though completely. Good or bad on all this?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well now that's motivation! Great, I have a project afoot this week. Oh I'm off Friday, maybe I'll order the RCA cable now so it's here for Friday so I can experiment.
Full disclosure on the situation. We have a curved couch. The PB-1000 would fit snug behind it in the corner. One side would be up against the wall, the other against the couch. The woofer side would have some daylight because of the curve but would be pretty close to the couch. The back where the controls are would be open though completely. Good or bad on all this?

Sounds a lot like my sectional. Doesn't sound like you'd have any major issues. As long as the driver has room to move unobstructed you should be fine.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah that's what I would try first try one of those 2 prong plugs just to see if you can tell if the amp is causing the ground loop
It's really quiet. I can't hear it where I'm sitting and it's right behind me. I literally have to get just a few inches from one of the drivers to pick it up, but it's definitely there. Might get me one of those cheater plugs. As it is, if it's not hurting the sub I can totally live with it.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Sounds a lot like my sectional. Doesn't sound like you'd have any major issues. As long as the driver has room to move unobstructed you should be fine.
Thanks, it should have plenty of room yes. Sorry don't want to hijack your thread and good time as it sounds like you have one insane sub on your hands.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What are the connections from the amp to the sub?
Look at the power side of the amp too, but it could be happening in the amp to sub connections; if it is meant to have xlr/speakons and the pins aren’t properly set.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, use a flashlight just to make sure the fan is working that might be the reason that one channel died!
Of course that might be a thermostatically controlled fan so it might not run until you get hot. So you'll want to determine that before you make a call as to whether or not the fan is running!

Edit: please excuse any speech to text errors I am on my phone in my thumbs don't work as well as the kids'!
First thing I did when I powered it up was make sure the fan works and it does. I've had it running for a while now and it's downright cool to touch, not even a little bit warm! It's super quiet too. Can't hear it at all and it's tucked in the corner behind my couch.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What are the connections from the amp to the sub?
Look at the power side of the amp too, but it could be happening in the amp to sub connections; if it is meant to have xlr/speakons and the pins aren’t properly set.
Amp to sub is Speakon to banana plugs. The black cable.

Attachments

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I feel like you get that new audio equipment itch like I get that new car part itch. :cool:

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Congrats on a really cool purchase. I’ll be curious for you to legit compare the capability of the RBH vs your HSU to see what differences you recognize if any

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Congrats on a really cool purchase. I’ll be curious for you to legit compare the capability of the RBH vs your HSU to see what differences you recognize if any
It's tempting to move it up front and use one of the HSUs for nearfield. It's so big sitting behind my chair, lol. I'm very confident it can hang with the HSUs for overall output, if not beat them. It can probably be tuned to match them at the low end of 16 hz too, I think. As long as I don't try to get 115 dB at 16 hz I think it can handle it without any trouble. Reading over the review HD linked for the powered version those drivers sound almost bullet proof.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Watched the ending of Endgame last night. The whole final battle. Jeezum bawls, I gotta watch some more action movies! A big ass nearfield sub is a whole 'nother level for 'splosions and action scenes! My wife- "I can feel my eyeballs vibrating in my head!" :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis