ADVICE: OPPO 203 (Preamplifier) + Emotiva A-5175 (Living Room Home Theater)

V

Venue

Junior Audioholic
Tell me once and for all, what is better audibly to you than the other, electronics don't matter at all?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Tell me once and for all, what is better audibly to you than the other, electronics don't matter at all?
I find electronics matter little when they're capable (particularly in comparison with tranducers/rooms). Specifics may matter. You don't seem to have any particular specifics to go from.....

V

Venue

Junior Audioholic
I have mentioned plenty.

With you it's like, get the most basic, baseline AVR, 20W's there, this and that, won't do any difference.
So then why do we have 5 different AVR's in the same series but in different levels from a manufacturer?
If they all sound the same, what's the point?
I will argue, the absolute incremental wattage offerings by the different models are THE most useless point.
But when we're talking real changes, no, they don't seem to matter?

Then why from the start, if the X3700H is better audibly, didn't you recommend it from the beginning?
I don't get it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have mentioned plenty.

With you it's like, get the most basic, baseline AVR, 20W's there, this and that, won't do any difference.
So then why do we have 5 different AVR's in the same series but in different levels from a manufacturer?
If they all sound the same, what's the point?
I will argue, the absolute incremental wattage offerings by the different models are THE most useless point.
But when we're talking real changes, no, they don't seem to matter?

Then why from the start, if the X3700H is better audibly, didn't you recommend it from the beginning?
I don't get it.
You have babbled a lot, but mentioned specifics little.

I use several different avrs in several rooms, ranging from basic ones to flagships. Not a great deal of difference except in dsp routines (and in amp capabilites but within their capabilities are just fine). DACs haven't been an issue, they're all very competent in that respect. DACs have been a long resolved technology generally. I thought I said use the Oppo/amp combo if it suits your needs. Trying to make it some sort of audiophool issue, no, not going there.

V

Venue

Junior Audioholic
What matters to you, really?
Speakers? Room? Physical room treatment? Digital room correction?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's a pretty good priority of what affects audio quality.....differences in electronics otherwise is much less tangible.

V

Venue

Junior Audioholic
No, it's just that some people seem to love it, some hate it, some say there's no difference.
With that consensus, we're down to electronics again, AVR vs. the 203, and we know that result.

I've heard people talk about room correction that has about 20 years of experience using it, they say it can only make a good room, with good speakers, sound better, but not make a bad room, or bad speakers, sound better, isn't it quite hard to judge if you have a good room, or good speakers, or a combination of the two, or vice versa, prior to determining which route to take, it being a receiver vs. separates?

You just pick an AVR to be safe, with the joker at hand?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Huh. Yes. Almost in that order too, tho I'd put subs right with speakers.

Curious, how much effort did you put into the speakers you chose? That, your room and placement will determine your quality of sound. The DAC side is a mature technology and most competent manufacturers have made it a pretty level playing field as far as that goes. They all have the same goal, accuracy, right? The differences you're quibbling over are so small I would argue they're inaudible. I do not think you would be able to consistently pick one over another in a proper DBT as long as all is equal and operating within spec.

For me it comes down to features and dsp capabilities. Mainly for bass. Since the room is in control of that it generally needs the most tweaking. Good avrs have excellent bass management. Preouts are nice too tho, and entry level avrs tend not to come with a full set of preouts.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some people love or hate what? How is that a consensus?

V

Venue

Junior Audioholic
Digital room correction, I was referring to your previous quote.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, some use it, some don't find it effective. Measure to confirm. Or your ears. It's just preference in the long run. Has nothing to do with your pics of circuit boards....

V

Venue

Junior Audioholic
You kill my dreams.

So the Emotiva MC-700 is a better choice than the 203 as a preamplifier, we can both agree?
11-band PEQ, but then you'd say any Denon/Marantz with XT32 is better than the Emotiva?
The 203 has no DSP at all, basically.

I think I know the answer, you want me to say FIR?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You kill my dreams.

So the Emotiva MC-700 is a better choice than the 203 as a preamplifier, we can both agree?
11-band PEQ, but then you'd say any Denon/Marantz with XT32 is better than the Emotiva?
The 203 has no DSP at all, basically.

I think I know the answer, you want me to say FIR?
I'd just suggest the most appropriate electronics/dsp choices to your preferences. I'm no fan of Emotiva but only some of their units have anything special like Dirac....the dsp still exists in the form of bass management in the 203. Personally I like the affordability of XT32 with the Editor App for specific application even though I have not the gear to use it. Dirac may do as well, but will come at a premium from there. You may do just fine with the basics in the 203, but I wouldn't "tweek" the electronics it already has as its unnecessary. Just what are your goals? This is all for some crap Klipsch speakers? :)

V

Venue

Junior Audioholic
I'd just suggest the most appropriate electronics/dsp choices to your preferences. I'm no fan of Emotiva but only some of their units have anything special like Dirac....the dsp still exists in the form of bass management in the 203. Personally I like the affordability of XT32 with the Editor App for specific application even though I have not the gear to use it. Dirac may do as well, but will come at a premium from there. You may do just fine with the basics in the 203, but I wouldn't "tweek" the electronics it already has as its unnecessary. Just what are your goals? This is all for some crap Klipsch speakers? :)
Alright, but the 203 has no EQ/PEQ though.
I think your point made on tweaking is clear, well clear.

For Klipsch? Well, yes, I bought them because I wanted a better dynamic, cinematic sound than previously.
So for me they're plenty, and an upgrade from what I had back then, are they the best? No, but not changing.
I mean I'm not totally against AVR's, if that's your deepest, most genuine recommendation, so be it, I will not argue.

@Pogre, yes, dual SPL-150's, I planned on getting a miniDSP, I understand this is way better than Audyssey?

Sigh, I guess it's really down to an AVR for processing, and an amplifier for the ultimate combination.
But then you'd argue an amplifier is not needed with Klipsch, listening at around 90dB @ 16 feet?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Alright, but the 203 has no EQ/PEQ though.
I think your point made on tweaking is clear, well clear.

For Klipsch? Well, yes, I bought them because I wanted a better dynamic, cinematic sound than previously.
So for me they're plenty, and an upgrade from what I had back then, are they the best? No, but not changing.
I mean I'm not totally against AVR's, if that's your deepest, most genuine recommendation, so be it, I will not argue.

@Pogre, yes, dual SPL-150's, I planned on getting a miniDSP, I understand this is way better than Audyssey?

Sigh, I guess it's really down to an AVR for processing, and an amplifier for the ultimate combination.
But then you'd argue an amplifier is not needed with Klipsch, listening at around 90dB @ 16 feet?
I'd say you're looking for unicorns in the electronics with your current speaker/room situation. Likely to make if any difference, so little difference as to be inaudible. Improve your speakers and the room for true results....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
By improving speakers, you mean replace them?
First optimize placement but yes perhaps better speakers are in order.....depends on your preferences.

ps let alone treating the room

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis