highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I remember when Putin first rose to power I asked a Russian woman I knew what she thought about him. Her response: "He is KGB." The way she said it conveyed a loathing and contempt that is hard to put into words. It was also clear she thought it was an idiotic question, so that was the end of the conversation.

It stuck with me over the years. "He is KGB" explains almost everything worth explaining.
Well, Russians came to the US because they liked our system and way of life but I have talked with some who are not only worried, they would actually consider going back if it becomes 'worse' here. They definitely aren't afraid to show their disgust with the old USSR, that's for sure.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I'LL REPEAT IT FOR THE CHEAP SEATS- I DON'T WATCH FOX NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was asking questions, that's all. You took it upon yourself to say that it might be hypothetical, then crap all over me as if I stated it as fact.
I read some articles on their website almost every day. Even Tucker Carlson, if I haven't eaten recently. (He just can't be as stupid as he seems.) How can we ignore what 35% of the electorate agrees with?

highfigh

highfigh

I read some articles on their website almost every day. Even Tucker Carlson, if I haven't eaten recently. (He just can't be as stupid as he seems.) How can we ignore what 35% of the electorate agrees with?
I guess this is part of what comes with a free press. Can't ignore it- it won't go away.

I asked a friend of he listened to Rush Limbaugh and he said "Only when I'm driving a long distance- it's hard to fall asleep when your eyeballs are bouncing off the dashboard".

ToniScot

ToniScot

Enthusiast
What do you think about vaccination? As for me there is a certain risk, so for myself I decided to refuse

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Tuckers facial expressions are priceless, not sure if it's really 'stupid' or part of his 'schtick' ?

So Toni, what is your risk with regards to getting vaccinated ?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
What do you think about vaccination? As for me there is a certain risk, so for myself I decided to refuse
What risk of vaccination do you have that outweighs the large risk of getting seriously ill [edit: added ill] from Covid-19?

I'll for sure take the vaccine, whichever that is properly tested, to avoid needing hospitalization.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well that is extremely missguided of you. The risk benefit of vaccination is way in your favor, by well over a million to one. The mDNA vaccines rolling out in the UK by the millions have had zero adverse reaction. The mRNA vaccines has had one allergic reaction, which are easily managed, for every 2.5 million immunizations.

Not only that, after vaccination your risk of dying from Covid-19 is negligible, and your risk of going to hospital minute. Immunity is 60% three weeks after the first dose, and then 90% within a week of the second dose. Not only that but your risk of spreading the infection after immunization is reduced by at least two thirds, by even the most conservative estimate. So you protect yourself and everyone you have contact with. That means you help protect family friends and strangers.

This latter is important, as the way to stop these dangerous mutations, is to massively reduce transmission and infections. It is only by driving these infections down worldwide, that will will avoid total disaster. We have lost nearly half a million people to this virus in the US already, which is almost certainly an under count by 30%.

It is thinking like yours that will cost more lives.

Now I have told you the absolute truth. You can look at the data yourself. If after that you don't want you, your family and friends to get vaccinated, then your powers of data analysis and logical reasoning are severely defective.

My wife has been assiduously searching for vaccine slots for us. A couple of days ago she found two spaces available in Bemidji MN, which is 250 miles North West of here, were we reside in the Twin Cities, this coming Wednesday. So we will make the 500 mile round trip for our first shot of the Moderna mRNA vaccine. So we do that for ourselves and the interests of the world. I strongly recommend you do the same.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
... Immunity is 60% three weeks after the first dose, and then 90% within a week of the second dose. Not only that but your risk of spreading the infection after immunization is reduced by at least two thirds, by even the most conservative estimate. So you protect yourself and everyone you have contact with. That means you help protect family friends and strangers.
A very important point.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
My wife has been assiduously searching for vaccine slots for us. A couple of days ago she found two spaces available in Bemidji MN, which is 250 miles North West of here, were we reside in the Twin Cities, this coming Wednesday. So we will make the 500 mile round trip for our first shot of the Moderna mRNA vaccine. So we do that for ourselves and the interests of the world. I strongly recommend you do the same.
I'm glad to see someone actually find a way to get vaccinated. I'm still looking. Good luck on your road trip! Will you have to return to Bemidji for your 2nd dose?

America should be ashamed that it has forced it's senior citizens to beta test these poorly functioning web sites. It's as if their web sites were designed by people recently fired by the Dept. of Motor Vehicles.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
America should be ashamed that it has forced it's senior citizens to beta test these poorly functioning web sites. It's as if their web sites were designed by people recently fired by the Dept. of Motor Vehicles.
Maryland's website development was out-sourced to NIC:

The NIC website has a direct link to the Maryland site:

So, in reality, NIC probably did the DMV site too. ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'm glad to see someone actually find a way to get vaccinated. I'm still looking. Good luck on your road trip! Will you have to return to Bemidji for your 2nd dose?

I don't know if we will have to return to Bemidji, but I would not be surprised if we do. Anyhow it is a scenic trip.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Maryland's website development was out-sourced to NIC
I see that NIC headquarters are in Olathe, Kansas. So they have an opportunity to hire under-qualified former DMV or website tech employees from all around the country ;).

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I see that NIC headquarters are in Olathe, Kansas. So they have an opportunity to hire under-qualified former DMV or website tech employees from all around the country ;).
I also suspect they're using out-sourcing shops in India, where Javascript developers often make $10/hour or less. The requirements and overall design are probably still done in the US, so the poor interface and bad performance are probably still domestic problems. Great websites are difficult design and implementation problems.

T

trochetier

Audioholic
Thanks Lovin, does it really take three weeks to review the data?
Yes. These data are generally 1000s of pages, consisting of individual subject observation data, clinical lab data and statistical analysis. FDA does its own re-analysis of the sponsor's data. FDA is not cutting corners in it's review, just the amount of data is smaller than regular due to shorter clinical trial period...Trust but verify.

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Here's an article suggesting that it might be possible to develop vaccines that trigger production of broadly neutralizing antibodies that would be effective against many different strains of a virus. I have no idea how feasible this is, but it seems like and interesting idea.

>>>A special class of protective antibodies called broadly neutralizing antibodies (see ‘Pan-virus vaccines’) acts against many different strains of related virus — for example, of HIV, influenza or coronavirus. Such antibodies could be used as first-line drugs to prevent or treat viruses in a given family, including new lineages or strains that have not yet emerged. More importantly, they could be used to design vaccines against many members of a given family of viruses.<<<

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
According to this article, if Moderna switches from 10 doses per vial to 14, it could increase the U.S. vaccine supply by as much as 20%. The U.S. government has reportedly allocated $9 billion to vaccine development and procurement.

I realize the logistics of a program this size are a nightmare, but it seems like someone could have spotted this earlier, especially if it really is a longtime (presumably known) bottleneck in the process.

>>>Last month, Moderna asked for permission to increase the number of doses in its vials to as much as 15 from the industry standard of 10. The change would cut down on the time required for the final manufacturing phase when millions of tiny bottles are filled, capped and labeled, a longtime bottleneck in injectable drug manufacturing.<<< (emphasis added)

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/02/16/world/covid-19-coronavirus#south-africa-will-pass-along-its-astrazeneca-vaccine-to-others-after-a-disappointing-result-against-its-virus-variant

The unfurl-url did not work properly, so:

"​
CAPE TOWN — South Africa will share its unused doses of the AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine with the African Union, the country’s health minister said on Tuesday.​
South Africa, which had bought 1.5 million doses of the vaccine, decided to pause plans to distribute it this month after a small trial failed to show that it could prevent mild or moderate cases of Covid-19 caused by the worrisome variant that has overrun the country.​
“The AstraZeneca doses which we purchased have been offered to the African Union platform, which we are part of, and they will be distributed to the countries that have already indicated interest that do not have this particular challenge of this variant,” the country’s health minister, Dr. Zweli Mkhize, told the Parliament. “There will therefore be no wasteful and fruitless expenditure.”​
"​

T

trochetier

Audioholic
According to this article, if Moderna switches from 10 doses per vial to 14, it could increase the U.S. vaccine supply by as much as 20%. The U.S. government has reportedly allocated $9 billion to vaccine development and procurement.

I realize the logistics of a program this size are a nightmare, but it seems like someone could have spotted this earlier, especially if it really is a longtime (presumably known) bottleneck in the process.

>>>Last month, Moderna asked for permission to increase the number of doses in its vials to as much as 15 from the industry standard of 10. The change would cut down on the time required for the final manufacturing phase when millions of tiny bottles are filled, capped and labeled, a longtime bottleneck in injectable drug manufacturing.<<< (emphasis added)

Multi-dose injectables specially those without preservative/s can lead to loss of sterility of the remaining doses in the vial unless handled very carefully. The Advisory Committee meeting materials did not include the list of contents of the vaccine. Ideally the stopper of unpreserved injectable should be punctured only once. I am not sure how the doses are being withdrawn from the vials at the vaccination sites and whether the operators have been properly trained.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis