Klipsch Heresy IV Speaker Review

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I replaced the diaphragms in a pair of Heresy tweeters and listened after- for newer music, the highs weren't great but for the music from the time they were designed, they sounded really good. That time was the late-'50s and there was no 20KHz+ response in music sources, no hot-sounding mixes, no sub-bass and the musical styles didn't need those- I listened to some '50s Jazz and they really were made for that.

Once I listened and had noticed the lack of extension on both ends, I looked up the specs, then used an RTA app- the measured response was in agreement with the spec sheet- 50Hz-17Khz.
I don't necessarily have a problem with speakers that can't go below 50hz, we have great subs these days that can solve that issue. Nor do i necessarily have a problem with the 17khz cutoff, not a whole lot of content beyond that, and many can't hear it anyways.

Where i do have the problem with them is, they just sound terrible. They could have at the very least used better quality drivers. But to charge outrageous prices like these are some exotic speakers and are going to change your world is just taking advantage of their past reputation.

What you say about the Jazz music, i can somewhat see. I just don't understand why some people still have not grasped the concept, that a speaker should sound good for any and all music. When people see these Youtube reviews talking about how a speaker really sounds good for this or that type of music, it should be your first clue. Stay away from that speaker.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I don't hate Klipsch, just have heard and IM (subjective)O, built better speakers for much less.

If I were to dare spend $3k on speakers, it would be a DIY design that uses Seas, Scanspeak or a host of other high end driver manufacturer based designs.

As super-subjective as audio is, it should be hard to be offended by even the harshest judgements of any audio product. I am a die hard JBL fan. I have 4 pairs of them from small to large. JBL (Harman?) (Junky But Loud?) has it's share of haters and I flat do not care. I can even accept that I may be physically/mentally flawed for liking them as much as I do. I more recently got the JBL 308P when it was on sale and for the cost, they have no right sounding as good as they do.

That's the problem with expensive speakers now. The budget realms of all the brands are knocking dangerously close of constantly exposing the actual line of diminishing, audible returns. Speakers over 2K really need to be "high end", because there is not much a $1000 speaker is going to give up to that distinction. Case in point, JBL's Studio 590 that goes on sale for half price often enough, is the ultimate Klipsch killer, across the board, looks be damned. I spent the day helping someone move into a new home and they had the 590s just set up pretty much near the first outlet they came to and I could not believe how good they sounded all-day-long and into the night. If I ever go for another large pair of speakers, I will own a pair of those.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don't hate Klipsch, just have heard and IM (subjective)O, built better speakers for much less.

If I were to dare spend $3k on speakers, it would be a DIY design that uses Seas, Scanspeak or a host of other high end driver manufacturer based designs.

As super-subjective as audio is, it should be hard to be offended by even the harshest judgements of any audio product. I am a die hard JBL fan. I have 4 pairs of them from small to large. JBL (Harman?) (Junky But Loud?) has it's share of haters and I flat do not care. I can even accept that I may be physically/mentally flawed for liking them as much as I do. I more recently got the JBL 308P when it was on sale and for the cost, they have no right sounding as good as they do.

That's the problem with expensive speakers now. The budget realms of all the brands are knocking dangerously close of constantly exposing the actual line of diminishing, audible returns. Speakers over 2K really need to be "high end", because there is not much a $1000 speaker is going to give up to that distinction. Case in point, JBL's Studio 590 that goes on sale for half price often enough, is the ultimate Klipsch killer, across the board, looks be damned. I spent the day helping someone move into a new home and they had the 590s just set up pretty much near the first outlet they came to and I could not believe how good they sounded all-day-long and into the night. If I ever go for another large pair of speakers, I will own a pair of those.
JBL (all Harman speakers, really) have a target in-room response curve that is a gentle downward slope as frequency increases. (Called by some " the Harman Curve). Your 308P's are giant killers:

They have every right sounding as good as they do, because they were actually properly engineered and not just 3 drivers thrown into a box.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't necessarily have a problem with speakers that can't go below 50hz, we have great subs these days that can solve that issue. Nor do i necessarily have a problem with the 17khz cutoff, not a whole lot of content beyond that, and many can't hear it anyways.

Where i do have the problem with them is, they just sound terrible. They could have at the very least used better quality drivers. But to charge outrageous prices like these are some exotic speakers and are going to change your world is just taking advantage of their past reputation.

What you say about the Jazz music, i can somewhat see. I just don't understand why some people still have not grasped the concept, that a speaker should sound good for any and all music. When people see these Youtube reviews talking about how a speaker really sounds good for this or that type of music, it should be your first clue. Stay away from that speaker.
The range needed depends on the music that will be played. Obviously, if there's nothing below 50Hz, there's not much reason to perform in that range, other than to make sure that the subharmonics from playing two notes at the same time (or more) to intentionally create a lower note ant higher, to allow overtones to be heard.

That said, some speakers sound great for certain music and are well-respected, but might not be suited for less 'polite' musical styles. Personally, I'm tired of seeing videos of a system playing with good equipment, but recorded on a cell phone and people commenting on how good it sounds.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

The price of most high end speakers comes from the cost to make the furniture. Using exotic woods and finishes is great, but the sound isn't affected one way or the other. Great speakers are nice to look at, but it's hard to justify the expense when they wouldn't be allowed in the room because SWMBO doesn't want to see them.

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
Let's get Steve Guttenberg and Lakeshow2413 together along with Erin so that they can teach him a thing or two about speaker reviewing, so that his reviews in the future become more informative.

Should I set up a Zoom call?
Steve Huff’s 2020 speaker of the year also!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Ron White: “You can’t fix stupid”. Hopefully in 2021 things get back to normal and leave it to Beave doesn’t post anymore!!
I love Ron White. I suppose that explains a great deal of my world view.

I mentioned in my earlier post that I had read a gushing review of the Heresy IV speakers: it was the Sterve Huff review. When You mentioned his name I went and looked and sure enough there it was.

I don't begrudge anyone their opinions of speakers. Reviewers have to eat too and if Mr Huff feeds the bulldog by writing the purple prose in praise of speakers that may not measure up in many respects, I suppose that's up to him and his employer. I'm just glad that the AH is here with reviews and measurements and opinions based in some sort of objective media to help folks like me steer clear when it comes time to part with the cash.

So far, the AH has helped me create wonderful sound at home. I'm sticking with the fact based stuff.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
So......tell me...anyone....what is an acceptable bookshelf speaker for 5.1, in a 10 X 12 room???

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So......tell me...anyone....what is an acceptable bookshelf speaker for 5.1, in a 10 X 12 room???
¿Que?
Not that I don't mind a distraction from the One-Man-Kool-Aid-fest, but that's a non sequitur if ever I saw one.
;)
What do you want these speakers to do, exactly?
Edit: answered in new thread started by teeter.

Last edited:
carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
I’ve had almost, if not 99% of every type of speaker design out there. Each one has its place and each one sounds different, just as everyone has a different taste of speakers
What sounds great to you, may sound horrible to me. To each his own.
I’d can honestly say that 99.9% of the people that bash one type of speaker over the another
Has either never heard it , much less owned it and spent many hours listening to them in order to form a intelligent decision about the said speaker.
Way to many people are brand lovers, I’m at fault about this as well as anyone else on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I’ve had almost, if not 99% of every type of speaker design out there. Each one has its place and each one sounds different, just as everyone has a different taste of speakers
What sounds great to you, may sound horrible to me. To each his own.
I’d can honestly say that 99.9% of the people that bash one type of speaker over the another
Has either never heard it , much less owned it and spent many hours listening to them in order to form a intelligent decision about the said speaker.
Way to many people are brand lovers, I’m at fault about this as well as anyone else on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@carlthess40
That's a whole lotta 99% going on in your post. Its good to use percentages because it imbues the post with some sense of authority. Of course, 69% of the time they work every time according to Ron Burgundy.

I agree with your broad opinion that a high percentage of folks have never listened to differing styles or designs for speakers. That's what the great unwashed masses are that buy from big box stores because the significant other in the relationship said " they look nice". But, that's not the group of listeners that spend any significant time on the AH. If someone is here and is well read here, that's a very different kettle of fish. That's the 1% in your view of the world.

I have been listening to music on rigs of a wide range of persuasions for 50 years or more. I am routinely put to shame here by the expertise in a wide range of equipment. It's why I come here: I come here to learn something rather than to spout grievances. I read days and sometimes weeks without posting because let's face it, the obvious gets stated 10 times a day.

I don't bash Klipsch. I am a Klipsch owner and have been for a long time. But, my Klipsch speakers do closet duty these days. I have discovered something I like better. I play those sets nearly every day. Klipsch will be making music and making people smile long after I'm gone.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I just like to come here to spout grievances, it's way more fun.
If the folks on this thread ever heard the words you may have written in reviews of "K" subwoofers, you would indeed be fielding grievances. I love your reviews. I think of you and your recommendation of my current sub in my music room. That thing vibrates my chest cavity. The big "K" product it replaced is still in a closet.

Be well . Enjoy what you do. I certainly do

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Ron White: “You can’t fix stupid”. Hopefully in 2021 things get back to normal and leave it to Beave doesn’t post anymore!!
I notice that you quoted your own post when you replied with "You can't fix stupid." Seems about right.

Keep trying, and maybe you'll eventually figure out how the quote function works.

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
I notice that you quoted your own post when you replied with "You can't fix stupid." Seems about right.

Keep trying, and maybe you'll eventually figure out how the quote function works.
Leave it to Beave for another idiotic post. Seems about right. Go away and maybe post on Facebook.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
I'm a Klipsch fan, and I hated the Heresies when I heard them in a perfect listening room at Klipsch HQ.

Too throaty, missing a ton in the upper midrange area. Why I refused to buy any Klipsch product other than Belle/KHorn/LaScala. Glad I waited for my Belle ship to come in, even though it took 15 years.

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
I'm a Klipsch fan, and I hated the Heresies when I heard them in a perfect listening room at Klipsch HQ.

Too throaty, missing a ton in the upper midrange area. Why I refused to buy any Klipsch product other than Belle/KHorn/LaScala. Glad I waited for my Belle ship to come in, even though it took 15 years.

They are amazing speakers. Probably the best Klipsch heritage dollar for dollar.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
They are amazing speakers. Probably the best Klipsch heritage dollar for dollar.
I'd confidently put my Quicksilver Horn Monos + Belles up against any Heresies, with any amplification. And they're bone stock, not even like I've done any crossover work on them yet.

But we can agree to disagree, it's cool.

Bianca_

Bianca_

Audiophyte
I registered here just to respond to this thread. I own a pair of Hersey IV's. Have for about a year now. I love them.

Allow me to elaborate:

My father took me to a jazz concert many years ago. I'm not sure who it was that we went to see. I think it was Dizzy Gillespie, but I'm not sure. The dates don't quite add up because Wikipedia says he died in '93. I know it was on a Sunday. And I think it was on a fairground, possibly a racetrack, because I remember him leading me up to what seemed at the time to be really high seats, bleacher style seats. But at any rate, while he was leading me up I remember there was a jazz pianist playing and the sound of that amplified piano was amazing! It was an acoustic 9 foot grand. I wanna say the lid was removed, but I'm not sure. But I know it was amplified -- through horns! And that sound? The sound I heard that day that so amazed me? I hear that when I play piano music through my Heresy's. You guys can criticize them all you want with your finely honed meters and big measuring sticks. I don't care.

You know that slogan? Pissing off the neighbors since 1946? How about pissing off the critics since 1946? "Pixel peepers" is the term we use in photography. I don't know what the equivalent term is in audio. You know -- the people more interested in measuring than in listening.

But that's my point. The point I registered to make. Those of us who like live music, a live sound -- a recreation of live music -- are probably gonna like the horn sound. Because, and you guys can correct me -- I'm not an expert on this stuff. But if you go to hear live music you're gonna hear horns. Virtually all concert music, apart from classical and some acoustic jazz, is amplified through horns. Even some classical is amplified. Again, I could wrong on the extent to which PA systems use horns. You guys can enlighten me. But in the meantime? I'm gonna listen to Keith Jarret make a nine-foot Steinway come alive on my Heresy IVs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis