Klipsch Heresy IV Speaker Review

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I registered here just to respond to this thread. I own a pair of Hersey IV's. Have for about a year now. I love them.

Allow me to elaborate:

My father took me to a jazz concert many years ago. I'm not sure who it was that we went to see. I think it was Dizzy Gillespie, but I'm not sure. The dates don't quite add up because Wikipedia says he died in '93. I know it was on a Sunday. And I think it was on a fairground, possibly a racetrack, because I remember him leading me up to what seemed at the time to be really high seats, bleacher style seats. But at any rate, while he was leading me up I remember there was a jazz pianist playing and the sound of that amplified piano was amazing! It was an acoustic 9 foot grand. I wanna say the lid was removed, but I'm not sure. But I know it was amplified -- through horns! And that sound? The sound I heard that day that so amazed me? I hear that when I play piano music through my Heresy's. You guys can criticize them all you want with your finely honed meters and big measuring sticks. I don't care.

You know that slogan? Pissing off the neighbors since 1946? How about pissing off the critics since 1946? "Pixel peepers" is the term we use in photography. I don't know what the equivalent term is in audio. You know -- the people more interested in measuring than in listening.

But that's my point. The point I registered to make. Those of us who like live music, a live sound -- a recreation of live music -- are probably gonna like the horn sound. Because, and you guys can correct me -- I'm not an expert on this stuff. But if you go to hear live music you're gonna hear horns. Virtually all concert music, apart from classical and some acoustic jazz, is amplified through horns. Even some classical is amplified. Again, I could wrong on the extent to which PA systems use horns. You guys can enlighten me. But in the meantime? I'm gonna listen to Keith Jarret make a nine-foot Steinway come alive on my Heresy IVs.
I love my Klipsch too. I don't have the high end stuff but what I do have, I'm a huge fan of. So much that I made a video!

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Whatever suits one's fancy for whatever speakers they have and is music to their ears, is all that counts folks!

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
I registered here just to respond to this thread. I own a pair of Hersey IV's. Have for about a year now. I love them.

Allow me to elaborate:

My father took me to a jazz concert many years ago. I'm not sure who it was that we went to see. I think it was Dizzy Gillespie, but I'm not sure. The dates don't quite add up because Wikipedia says he died in '93. I know it was on a Sunday. And I think it was on a fairground, possibly a racetrack, because I remember him leading me up to what seemed at the time to be really high seats, bleacher style seats. But at any rate, while he was leading me up I remember there was a jazz pianist playing and the sound of that amplified piano was amazing! It was an acoustic 9 foot grand. I wanna say the lid was removed, but I'm not sure. But I know it was amplified -- through horns! And that sound? The sound I heard that day that so amazed me? I hear that when I play piano music through my Heresy's. You guys can criticize them all you want with your finely honed meters and big measuring sticks. I don't care.

You know that slogan? Pissing off the neighbors since 1946? How about pissing off the critics since 1946? "Pixel peepers" is the term we use in photography. I don't know what the equivalent term is in audio. You know -- the people more interested in measuring than in listening.

But that's my point. The point I registered to make. Those of us who like live music, a live sound -- a recreation of live music -- are probably gonna like the horn sound. Because, and you guys can correct me -- I'm not an expert on this stuff. But if you go to hear live music you're gonna hear horns. Virtually all concert music, apart from classical and some acoustic jazz, is amplified through horns. Even some classical is amplified. Again, I could wrong on the extent to which PA systems use horns. You guys can enlighten me. But in the meantime? I'm gonna listen to Keith Jarret make a nine-foot Steinway come alive on my Heresy IVs.
I have a pair of Heresy IV’s and love them. You can take the measurements and enjoy looking at them or you can listen to these amazing speakers.

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic
I think my issue with these speakers, is they do a few things really well, but in the end, simply DO NOT sound like "HiFi" speakers.
They sound more similar to what my huge church uses and one small club near where I live. Its loud, its punchy, but it simply is not smooth or refined.

Comparing them to even average normal speakers side by side, reveals they are fairly sensitive. Remove the sensitivity difference and they simply sound rougher, and more like semi sound reinforcement speakers.

Some love that sound. It will pound out music without too much power and it has clarity in a way.

But accurate, smooth, revealing of details etc...Never.

Play some smooth sounding violins in classical music on them, and they irritate more than sooth.
I really LIKE them to be honest. But they are simply not "Hifi" speakers, but more akin to sound reinforcement speakers.

H

HTMAN

Enthusiast
I think my issue with these speakers, is they do a few things really well, but in the end, simply DO NOT sound like "HiFi" speakers.
They sound more similar to what my huge church uses and one small club near where I live. Its loud, its punchy, but it simply is not smooth or refined.

Comparing them to even average normal speakers side by side, reveals they are fairly sensitive. Remove the sensitivity difference and they simply sound rougher, and more like semi sound reinforcement speakers.

Some love that sound. It will pound out music without too much power and it has clarity in a way.

Play some smooth sounding violins in classical music on them, and they irritate more than sooth.
I really LIKE them to be honest. But they are simply not "Hifi" speakers, but more akin to sound reinforcement speakers.
It definitely takes a lowfi speaker to make that sound good.

Bianca_

Bianca_

Audiophyte

I played in a university level orchestra. I know what a violin section sounds like. And it ain't always smooth. I had Bowers & Wilkins bookshelf speakers for a while. And what I heard from them was indeed smooth. But they didn't sound anything like a live orchestra.

But I get it. It's you guys' hobby. Perfection is part of the joy. Recreation of concert sound isn't necessarily the goal.

But what I don't get is: The same people who will go to the mat defending the color that vinyl and tube amps give to music will write off a speaker -- without even listening to it -- if some one's meter doesn't reveal a flat response.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I played in a university level orchestra. I know what a violin section sounds like. And it ain't always smooth. I had Bowers & Wilkins bookshelf speakers for a while. And what I heard from them was indeed smooth. But they didn't sound anything like a live orchestra.

But I get it. It's you guys' hobby. Perfection is part of the joy. Recreation of concert sound isn't necessarily the goal.

But what I don't get is: The same people who will go to the mat defending the color that vinyl and tube amps give to music will write off a speaker -- without even listening to it -- if some one's meter doesn't reveal a flat response.
Welcome to the forum and I hope you stay!

You bring up a good point. I used to own the polk signature 60's they measure not good but they sounded pretty darn good.

Measurements are a good way to do your research but they aren't everything. Your ears love what your ears love and that's the final deciding factor in the end.

Glad your enjoying your speakers!!!! I've owned Klipsch before really enjoyed them. They do get a pounding on here at times but oh well. Oh the RF7 iii was one of the funnest speakers I've ever listened to in my life.

And I too love horns I know not everyone does though

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic

But I HAVE listened to them.
I have compared them side by side to a couple other speakers.

I like the sound "In a way", but they are not accurate. Forget my smooth comment.

No speaker sounds like a live orchestra. Too many variables.

But the Heresy, simply sounds much more similar to many sound reinforcment speakers I have heard. I am talking about GOOD ones, not Junk pa speakers. And I mean that in a good way.

I have owned speakers with a similar sound and enjoy them in a way. But I never felt they were accurate.

I am NOT bashing them, but simply never found them to be quite "right" for home playback

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
I love all my speakers, yes my klipsch, svs and many other brands and my DIY made ones. And all my klipsch the reproduction of most types of music. One thing I find funny, well truthfully it makes me mad. Over 90% of people that hate klipsch ( or any other brand ) have never owned a single speaker made by them , maybe they did get to hear the cheap line at bestbuy. Hell, I even like Bose, I’ve had every model line of the 901’s and love the bell out of them. But come on people, don’t chime in on a product just because you can read a magazine article. Way too many people rely off of the BS numbers that are published online or in articles and so forth and so on. Speakers is a mechanical item it takes time to break in. It needs the best placement. It needs at least some decent sounding Audio Gear.
I’m not talking Macintosh and other overly priced brands, and I have found myself now in a line of people that have fallen into the group of buying all kinds of audio equipment, chasing that unicorn sound system that just does not exist.
Sadly I no longer been listening to the music ,but listening to the equipment. Is this what being an audiophile is about? I don’t think so..
So I’m changing my whole approach on my audio obsession. I’ve started hooking up my cheap Sony CD players to my cheap Chinese made Tube Amps ,and hooking them up to my wonderful Heritage klipsch speakers, and my hand built speakers ( that I built myself) , and I’m starting to listen to the music. Not the equipment. Do you really think that a power cable that sat in liquid nitrogen after it was massaged buy some exotic albino asian lady is going to make your audio equipment sound better? I’ll put my diy speaker, rca and power cables up against any and all of your over priced snake oil cables any day of the week. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a firm believer on quality materials with all of my cables. But when people talk about cryogenically treated virgin copper treated with angel dust and pellets . that’s just getting overboard and chasing that fabled unicorn audio Nirvana
Sorry about my rant here, I’m just trying to say this. People if you have not walked a mile in those shoes, then don’t say a darn thing about it.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Amazing how bent out of shape some get over an unfavorable review of their cherished brand.

Look, Erin threw you a bone:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Amazing how bent out of shape some get over an unfavorable review of their cherished brand.

Ehhhh I don't see that at all. No one here that owns these is arguing the validity of the measurements there just saying they love them despite them that's all. I can respect that

I have owned some crappy measuring speakers here and there and some of them I absolutely loved. Ultimately it's about what you love. They are making a good point tho about people just bashing stuff they've never even owned or heard based off of graphs.

I see that all the time in audio forums people just start dogpiling on. I think it's bad for our industry actually. We're ultimately doing this to have fun but hopefully grow the hobby otherwise we all lose when the industry has few competitors

I just think people can tell someone a speakers not for them without being a jerk about it. Bashing really accomplishes nothing productive. It's not like they're going to go sell there speakers or something based off of what you or I say so why bother?

I got no problem telling someone I feel this speaker isn't for me but I'm happy that you found something that you love for you.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I guess my point is the people talking about how they love these speakers have been nice really pleasant in talking about why they feel that way

Sometimes the ones coming on here just dogpiling them saying your just bent out of shape because this review or these numbers. Sometimes they don't realize it but there the ones that come across a little argumentative and bent out of shape.

I don't think they mean to come across that way its just how it sounds when your on the outside looking in

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic

I could never listen to Erin’s audio corner because we disagree completely about the Heresy IV’s. I might be missing out on something amazing that he doesn’t like.

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic
I could never listen to Erin’s audio corner because we disagree completely about the Heresy IV’s. I might be missing out on something amazing that he doesn’t like.
I hate to say this, and do not take it the wrong way, but you are kinda coming off like some guy blaring rock music on Mach Ones or big Cerwin Vegas, telling everyone that is the epitome of how rock music should sound.

Erin definitely knows his stuff, and knows how to measure and what he is talking about.

See, I can see WHY some love this speaker, but to most, it is quickly noticeable that they are very colored and not accurate.
That may be what you like, but that is not a "Fantastic" speaker.

Like someone above said, they are not horrendous sounding at all, but simply for the price, fall short of how good they should sound. They lack accuracy and fidelity.

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic
I guess my point is the people talking about how they love these speakers have been nice really pleasant in talking about why they feel that way

Sometimes the ones coming on here just dogpiling them saying your just bent out of shape because this review or these numbers. Sometimes they don't realize it but there the ones that come across a little argumentative and bent out of shape.

I don't think they mean to come across that way its just how it sounds when your on the outside looking in
I owned a speaker many years ago. It got a Bad review in Stereophile.

Not total junk, but a very less than favorable review. I was offended, I kept wondering how they could be so mean.
Why did they not see what I saw and heard. Why were they so against a brand and model I really liked.....

Turns out after a few years of reflection, and reading many dozen more reviews, they were actually spot on with their review, and it was accurate.

I was the one that simply did not want to hear, I made a semi bad choice or simply had hoped for affirmation with my choice.

It sucks to hear others disagree. But if one has an open mind, it makes you better in being able to judge sound and speakers.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I hate to say this, and do not take it the wrong way, but you are kinda coming off like some guy blaring rock music on Mach Ones or big Cerwin Vegas, telling everyone that is the epitome of how rock music should sound.

Erin definitely knows his stuff, and knows how to measure and what he is talking about.

See, I can see WHY some love this speaker, but to most, it is quickly noticeable that they are very colored and not accurate.

Like someone above said, they are not horrendous sounding at all, but simply for the price, fall short of how good they should sound. They lack accuracy and fidelity.
Agreed. The logic of "someone disagrees with me on ONE thing, must mean we disagree on everything" doesn't make a lot of sense.

Nothing at all wrong with having a difference of OPINION. Someone else's opinion about one specific thing doesn't define them, or at least it shouldn't.

I disagree/agree with people all the time, doesn't mean any of us a right. Who cares? Just enjoy the speakers you like and be done with it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
^ Ignorance is bliss! ;)

It's a shame that folk can't take a lump here and there, anymore. It's also a shame that people can't accept certain facts.
There are many Audio products out there that are popular and don't measure well. Just as there are many products that measure well but are not popular. Who cares.
There is very strong correlation that measurements can predict how a Speaker will perform, however, but that is not some sort of metric that dictates whether any person can enjoy whatever they like.

As is the case with so many other aspects of our society right now, it is all a cult of personality where one person gets to decide what is right and expect it to be so for everyone else. Sadly, Klipsch owners tend to be very noisy about their allegiance to their chosen brand and anyone that says anything negative about the Big K is an enemy of the people.
Sound familiar?
Like DefTech and B&W fans, too?
:confused:
Or...
:eek:

:p That's for another sub-forum, though. :cool:

:D

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic

Your opinion doesn’t mean jack to me. Hope it doesn’t come off the wrong way. If you don’t know how to set up speakers and don’t have the room treated then I could understand why you dislike them.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
^ Ignorance is bliss! ;)

It's a shame that folk can't take a lump here and there, anymore. It's also a shame that people can't accept certain facts.
There are many Audio products out there that are popular and don't measure well. Just as there are many products that measure well but are not popular. Who cares.
There is very strong correlation that measurements can predict how a Speaker will perform, however, but that is not some sort of metric that dictates whether any person can enjoy whatever they like.

As is the case with so many other aspects of our society right now, it is all a cult of personality where one person gets to decide what is right and expect it to be so for everyone else. Sadly, Klipsch owners tend to be very noisy about their allegiance to their chosen brand and anyone that says anything negative about the Big K is an enemy of the people.
Sound familiar?
Like DefTech and B&W fans, too?
:confused:
Or...
:eek:

:p That's for another sub-forum, though. :cool:

:D
I guess that's the point I'm trying to make here
@Bianca_ and some of the other owners arent coming on here and saying you suck and screw your numbers.

They just are saying we like the way these sound

Now if someone does come on here and gets all rude and says science doesn't matter blah blah then I agree they are bringing it on themselves.

But these people aren't so when you get someone saying these people are all butt hurt let this guy throw you a bone stuff like that and they haven't done nothing but say hey I understand your measurements and I respect your passion for perfection I just like the way these sound to me then yeah it makes the so called audiophile look like the uptight one pushing for an argument

And that's usually how these arguments start someone likes something someone just has to tell them it's a sh$t speaker or this and that hears the science why deal with it if you cabt its not my tone that set you off its just you cant handle the truth and then you have an argument

Started not by the newbie but really more by the established more knowledgeable member just by how they choose to say it.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen a new guy come on here asking how a certain amp will sound and they ending up quiting our forum cus someone HAS TO JUST beat there head in the dirt about you don't need an amp over an avr and just makes the dude feel like an idiot for even asking the question. Then an argument starts cuz the newbie gets defensive and I feel like that's more on the old timer then the newbie. I honestly feel like some people like tearing people down with what they know instead of building people up. I mean if the old timer was so smart how about you just answer the guys question? That's what he came here for right?

We get article after article lately saying how this hobby is in danger of dieing out. And that's how we want to attract new blood? By sucking all the fun out of this?

I mean ok makes total sense to me :rolleyes:

P.S. I like how Bianca brought up that we like certain types of distortion and bad measurements like in vinyl or tubes. Thought that was a cool thought may help explain why I liked certain gear or speakers I had in the past even though they measured like sh$t :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Even if I were a Klipsch fanatic, Klipsch Heresys are not the hill I would want to die on. They are by far the worst sounding of the Heritage series. You can not go from a La Scala to a Heresy and then think it sounds good. They should discontinue it. The only reason they keep it going is because people buy it out of nostalgia. In a blind comparison, it would never win against any competent speaker made in the last 50 years regardless of price. And yes, I have heard these speakers in a direct comparison against other Klipsch speakers, easily the worst of the bunch, and the only one I regarded as immediately, outright bad.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis