Klipsch Heresy IV Speaker Review

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Baffle diffraction shouldn't be a big deal where the mid and tweeter are horn-loaded.
It's the fact the speaker's baffle is recessed about 1/4-inch or so inside the overall box. Not sure if you can tell from the photos or not. I feel like I mentioned this in the video but I edited down so much it may have not made the final cut.
How about the directivity match between the woofer and mid horn? Maybe a smaller diameter woofer, larger format horn, and appropriate crossover frequency can achieve that.
Yep. The combo there could be improved. Aside from the radiation mismatch, the midrange region has extremely high distortion rise at higher output levels around 800Hz which is an indication of the midrange compression driver not being robust enough for the crossover it was chosen for; and they still don't have directivity matching there. So, as you said, either a smaller woofer or a larger compression midrange should have been used here.

But, who knows...maybe Klipsch doesn't really care about these things and their customers don't, either. It's very possible Klipsch built something their customer base wanted but they are really missing an opportunity to create a legendary speaker here. I don't think my review will ever make it to their level but if it does I hope they take to heart my review and don't just write me off. I may be the only person saying they don't like it (publicly; reviews) but I know I'm not the only one who felt disappointed even if they didn't tell anyone else.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
@MrBoat built a schnazzy pair of Tempests, and isn't too far from @ErinH . I would love to see a full suite of measurements from those just to compare with the Heresy. Battle of the Garage Speakers! (They are no longer available in kit form, so probably not of much interest outside those of us who built them.)
I am not a Klipsch fan, never have been. The brand nearly turned me off to horns altogether. I still have the Bagby (RIP)/diysoundgroup F12s in play daily. I cannot make them audibly distort without risk of serious and likely permanent physical injury. But that's exactly why I like them, because they handle everything I put through them. That and the SEOS is nearly impossible to disturb the stage/image, at least in my space. Same with the JBL waveguides, too. To me, they are kind of foolproof in that regard.

The F12s have saved me from upgraditus, and have also allowed me to accept class D amplification, as well as some low watt, class A amps from Pass DIY. They just work well with everything, somehow. Thank you for suggesting them, @ski2xblack . I imagine I have more critical listening hours on these than just about anyone by now.

ETA: Another (albeit skeptical, and somewhat snobbish audio nemesis of sorts) friend did actually measure these because he could not accept the fact that DIY (he called them "PA speakers") kit speakers could be contenders. He has many thousands invested in speakers alone. But even he had to concede, via his own methods, and the measurements looked pretty much like those that were posted by Jeff, and those that were posted at the diysoundgroup website a couple years ago. Some minor room issues but those can be pretty much disintegrated via the volume knob. :D

Last edited:
ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Glad to hear that they're still satisfying. I had little doubt that you'd dig them. I also have an older pair of lsr2328 monitors, and to my ear the Tempests are those on steriods, and with fewer audible tells. I think they could slide into the JBL Pro catalog and fit right in.

I have a more forgiving attitude toward the old Klipsch Heritage line, but they all need at the least some heavy eq to beat them into submission. I still have a pair of forte II, eq'd to tame the response, which sound almost as good overall and dig about an octave deeper than the Tempests. I kinda like 'em, but would never suggest them to a JBL guy.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Glad to hear that they're still satisfying. I had little doubt that you'd dig them. I also have an older pair of lsr2328 monitors, and to my ear the Tempests are those on steriods, and with fewer audible tells. I think they could slide into the JBL Pro catalog and fit right in.

I have a more forgiving attitude toward the old Klipsch Heritage line, but they all need at the least some heavy eq to beat them into submission. I still have a pair of forte II, eq'd to tame the response, which sound almost as good overall and dig about an octave deeper than the Tempests. I kinda like 'em, but would never suggest them to a JBL guy.
There was somewhat of a learning curve to them with regard to my old habits. The saving grace of these things, 'for my purpose' is, that it is hard to find them in the room, even if you walk right up to one of them. This is with them toed in substantially. I use them in the near field. Let's face it, audiophiles are few and far between. I am not going to run myself nuts trying to develop a sweet spot in a central part of a room for 4 or more people for music.

Sitting in a well proportioned triangle, with 12" woofers, by one's selfish self, is highly underrated these days. :D

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
But but Andrew Robinson says these are the bestest speakers ever with the bestest bass extension too. Surely you're mistaken? ....I know, don't call you Shurely.
I have owned the Heresy IV’s since June and they are phenomenal!! If you don’t believe me demo them in your own house and hear it for yourself. I love Gene’s knowledge and videos but I disagree with him here. I demoed the rp8000f’s that audioholics loved so much next to the Heresy IV’s in my house and it was no contest. My girlfriend that absolutely loved the looks of the RP8000f’s knew immediately that we were getting the Heresy IV’s! I know you the price difference is a lot but it’s well worth it.

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
I have owned the Heresy IV’s since June and they are phenomenal!! If you don’t believe me demo them in your own house and hear it for yourself. I love Gene’s knowledge and videos but I disagree with him here. I demoed the rp8000f’s that audioholics loved so much next to the Heresy IV’s in my house and it was no contest. My girlfriend that absolutely loved the looks of the RP8000f’s knew immediately that we were getting the Heresy IV’s! I know you the price difference is a lot but it’s well worth it.
I think you need at least one subwoofer with them also. I have two RSL Speedwoofers.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
But, who knows...maybe Klipsch doesn't really care about these things and their customers don't, either. It's very possible Klipsch built something their customer base wanted but they are really missing an opportunity to create a legendary speaker here. I don't think my review will ever make it to their level but if it does I hope they take to heart my review and don't just write me off. I may be the only person saying they don't like it (publicly; reviews) but I know I'm not the only one who felt disappointed even if they didn't tell anyone else.
ErinH
Today I was just poking around for something to read and up pops your review of the Heresy IV. Just a couple of weeks ago I read a gushing review in a national publication about the Heresy IV. Praise upon praise and lots of love for this old design from a stalwart manufacturer. I was actually considering adding it to a list of potentials for an upcoming home makeover in another part of my house. Your review put them back in the category of things that used to be great but in today's world seem pretty ordinary. Once again, AH and good old fashioned data and measurements come to someone's rescue.

If @MrBoat doesn't think much of the design, that just adds credibility to the point of view. I have owned Klipsch products for a long time. I have largely retired them to closet space with what I have learned here on the AH.

Tonight, I will have a couple of guests come over and we will probably do some listening in my music room. Its a dying hobby: just listening to music as its own activity. The environment is outstanding because the folks here at the AH helped me make it that way. No purple prose. No outlandish claims. Just honest, data sourced help.

Anytime you poke a favorite speaker, institution, or reviewer in the ribs with some non flattering data you can expect an inflammatory response. But, you can also take some satisfaction in helping a goodly number of folks avoid something when there's a choice to be made.

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
ErinH
Today I was just poking around for something to read and up pops your review of the Heresy IV. Just a couple of weeks ago I read a gushing review in a national publication about the Heresy IV. Praise upon praise and lots of love for this old design from a stalwart manufacturer. I was actually considering adding it to a list of potentials for an upcoming home makeover in another part of my house. Your review put them back in the category of things that used to be great but in today's world seem pretty ordinary. Once again, AH and good old fashioned data and measurements come to someone's rescue.

If @MrBoat doesn't think much of the design, that just adds credibility to the point of view. I have owned Klipsch products for a long time. I have largely retired them to closet space with what I have learned here on the AH.

Tonight, I will have a couple of guests come over and we will probably do some listening in my music room. Its a dying hobby: just listening to music as its own activity. The environment is outstanding because the folks here at the AH helped me make it that way. No purple prose. No outlandish claims. Just honest, data sourced help.

Anytime you poke a favorite speaker, institution, or reviewer in the ribs with some non flattering data you can expect an inflammatory response. But, you can also take some satisfaction in helping a goodly number of folks avoid something when there's a choice to be made.
The reviewers gushed because it’s an incredibly fun speaker. I’m pretty sure Steve Gutenberg knows what he’s talking about. Don’t go knocking something if you haven’t heard it in your room setup properly. Happy Holidays!!

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
The reviewers gushed because it’s an incredibly fun speaker. I’m pretty sure Steve Gutenberg knows what he’s talking about. Don’t go knocking something if you haven’t heard it in your room setup properly. Happy Holidays!!
I'm pretty sure of the opposite with regards to Steve Guttenberg.

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
One of the best reviewed speakers of the year!! Sorry Beave!!

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
You do have to set it up properly and have some know how also.

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, did you hear that Erin? You have to have some know how.
Exactly!! Btw flat measurements make for boring music. What do I know? Oh yeah I know how to set them up and use multiple subs for the low end. Smdh!!

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Let's get Steve Guttenberg and Lakeshow2413 together along with Erin so that they can teach him a thing or two about speaker reviewing, so that his reviews in the future become more informative.

Should I set up a Zoom call?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis