Paradigm 100v4 with receiver, or amp and receiver?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A riser is what I meant. The center would be blocking the lower part of the tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gotcha, that's why I originally suggested putting the tv on the speaker if it's large enough....

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
For the center I’ve found a paradigm CC-370v3 and a paradigm CC-570v3.

I’m assuming the 570 would be the better option? I haven’t found any v4 models to match my towers yet.

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for that article! That stuff helps so much. Where he was explaining he put certain speakers on small and others on large. That’s the stuff I still have a ton to learn about.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for that article! That stuff helps so much. Where he was explaining he put certain speakers on small and others on large. That’s the stuff I still have a ton to learn about.

Well, depends what you want with bass management. I have sufficient subwoofage, don't even consider setting speakers to large myself....

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
Well, depends what you want with bass management. I have sufficient subwoofage, don't even consider setting speakers to large myself....
I plan on one sub for sure, probably two.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Disregard the mess, it’s a work in progress right now. So now the couch is on this wall. I don’t see enough space for rear surround towers? From the knowledge you guys have, what are my options for the rears? I would rather not move that desk that has all that crap on it but I’m going for best sound possible so anything can change.

Can you slide the desk down so you can slide the Couch down to get the surrounds beside the couch?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
In a 5.1 system, your surround speakers are best placed to the left and right of your listening position. Aim them directly towards you for the best sound. If side placement isn't practical, place your surround speakers a few feet behind your listening position and face them forward. You’ll want your surrounds one to two feet above ear level to get the best sound effects.

5_1-surround-sound-speaker-placement-2.jpg

The trick is to get it as close to this as possible

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
I will try moving the desk down tomorrow and see if it will fit. If there isn’t any room I’m going to look into installing them on the wall and trying to hide the wires.

So I have some def tech tower speakers that I was planning on using as rear surrounds but it sounds like I should try and match up the system with pradigm rear speakers. Do bookshelf speakers on stands work better than a whole tower?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Rear surrounds or surrounds? In my main setup I use towers for surrounds, and even built short risers for them as I wanted them elevated some. Search for cable raceways for ideas on hiding wire. Smaller speakers would perhaps have more placement options but smaller speakers tend to be less sensitive, so there's compromises to consider; you don't necessarily need to even match brand-wise (altho I do prefer to do so if I can).

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
Rear surrounds or surrounds? In my main setup I use towers for surrounds, and even built short risers for them as I wanted them elevated some. Search for cable raceways for ideas on hiding wire. Smaller speakers would perhaps have more placement options but smaller speakers tend to be less sensitive, so there's compromises to consider; you don't necessarily need to even match brand-wise (altho I do prefer to do so if I can).
I didn't know there was a difference between surrounds and rear surrounds. I thought anything next to or behind you is considered the rear of the system that makes it surround sound. I just want to add two speakers behind me or next to me for that surround sound effect. I have some small samsung surround speakers that came with my sound bar upstairs and you can't hear them at all. That is the only think that scares me with bookshelf speakers, but I'm sure they do a great job. I just like the idea of a big tower speaker since it has more power.

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
Studio 20's will work for Surrounds.
I'll take a look at them.

I'll tell you what. I saw some Bower and Wilkins speakers and man are they pretty with the grills off.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't know there was a difference between surrounds and rear surrounds. I thought anything next to or behind you is considered the rear of the system that makes it surround sound. I just want to add two speakers behind me or next to me for that surround sound effect. I have some small samsung surround speakers that came with my sound bar upstairs and you can't hear them at all. That is the only think that scares me with bookshelf speakers, but I'm sure they do a great job. I just like the idea of a big tower speaker since it has more power.
Surrounds are utilized in a 5.1 setup and are generally placed more to the side than the rear. Rear surrounds are for 7.1 and go on the back wall. The towers may be a bit more capable but they don't "have power".

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
Studios are good looking too

I think the new Paradigm's look good without the grill on, but my 100v4s just don't look all that good to me. The B&W DM601 S2 just look good to me. I'd definitely rock those with the grills off!

What brand do you guys have and prefer?

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
Surrounds are utilized in a 5.1 setup and are generally placed more to the side than the rear. Rear surrounds are for 7.1 and go on the back wall. The towers may be a bit more capable but they don't "have power".
Ahhh I understand now. Yeah so I'm talking about adding surrounds. I'd love to do a 7.2 system but I just have room for the 5.2 which should be good enough for me.

J

Jleis14

Junior Audioholic
There is a person local to me selling a whole home theater system. Bowers & Wilkins 600 Series speaker set w/ 12" B&W ASW1000 subwoofer, CC6 S2 (center channel) DM601 S2 (pair) DM602 S2 (pair) ASW1000 (12" powered subwoofer) and a Rotel RTC-965 pre-amp / surround processor and Rotel RB-976 6-channel amplifier.

For $1,100

VS my Paradigm studio 100v4 where I still need to buy surround speakers and a more powerful receiver. I'll probably end up paying more than $1,100 on speakers and a new receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ahhh I understand now. Yeah so I'm talking about adding surrounds. I'd love to do a 7.2 system but I just have room for the 5.2 which should be good enough for me.
Also for your room/size I think 5ch could well be the better setup.

As to B&W 6 series I really wasn't impressed, and wouldn't want one of their subs.....but if starting with nothing that could be a nice setup for $1100.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis