Sub upgrade opinions

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I found some videos comparing a canton SL 595.2 to various other speakers. not sure if that was a type or a prior model. Regardless, the presence is amazing. Very forward stage sounding speaker. Lots of middle tones. Great for accoustic and vocals. Do they also perform well for home theater? And in a smaller depth space like mine? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to go ahead and bite bullet to order them while they have the free center. Also trying to decide between the white and black exterior. I have white deftech on the wall now which seems to blend well with our house.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Do they also perform well for home theater?
This is one of those questions that needs to go away. :)
A well designed and capable speaker should be able to reproduce sound well. All Sound. ;)

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
So to me, the Canton sounds better than the KEF Q 700 I linked above, but its more of a toss up as compared to the Focal Aria 936. Between those two, the Focal seems to be a little closer to neutral and at the same time a little deeper and darker sounding and loose some of the vocals over the music but at the same time the Canton has a more metallic sound in parts while keeping the vocals and strong mid-range presence more up front.

Hmmmmmmmmmm............ I'm sure all 3 would be an upgrade over my promonitor 800's but it's Hard to tell for sure when I'm listening to a recording of the speakers over the internet. LOL

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So to me, the Canton sounds better than the KEF Q 700 I linked above, but its more of a toss up as compared to the Focal Aria 936. Between those two, the Focal seems to be a little closer to neutral and at the same time a little deeper and darker sounding and loose some of the vocals over the music but at the same time the Canton has a more metallic sound in parts while keeping the vocals and strong mid-range presence more up front.

Hmmmmmmmmmm............ I'm sure all 3 would be an upgrade over my promonitor 800's but it's Hard to tell for sure when I'm listening to a recording of the speakers over the internet. LOL
You're not trying to compare speakers off internet videos, are you?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
This is one of those questions that needs to go away. :)
A well designed and capable speaker should be able to reproduce sound well. All Sound. ;)
Yes. Thank you for this. I was going to say the same. Speakers are speakers... good or bad.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Hard to tell for sure when I'm listening to a recording of the speakers over the internet. LOL
There's the thing. You can Audition speakers at the Store. Will they sound the same in your Home? The thing for me is to gather Information and make the best possible Purchasing Decision. So far I've been happy with my Purchases.
I see guys make it more complicated then it is

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Not sure how else to compare when I don't have access to hear anything in person. Thoughts?
The thought is that whatever your listening “through” will color the speakers sound so there’s no point. What the original speaker sounds like will also be affected by the room that it’s in dire to the acoustics. You may be able to detect differences, but will the speaker still sound like itself? Lol

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Okay, well poop. So just like the sub, it's somewhat of a gamble but without the easy return process. I'm in FL and so is A4L, but not in the same city.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Okay, well poop. So just like the sub, it's somewhat of a gamble but without the easy return process. I'm in FL and so is A4L, but not in the same city.
It is a Gamble , but then again its Not. If you see Recommendation after Recommendation the Gamble becomes less. Where in Florida?

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
It is a Gamble , but then again its Not. If you see Recommendation after Recommendation the Gamble becomes less. Where in Florida?
North Central Florida.

And I hear what you are saying on the 596.2 recommendations. And I'm assuming the 896 is even better, but no free center. LOL :)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
North Central Florida.

And I hear what you are saying on the 596.2 recommendations. And I'm assuming the 896 is even better, but no free center. LOL :)
Again how much better? And is it worth it? Is it worth $900-$1200? Its only Money.

Last edited:
T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Hard to say without being able to walk into a store and hear them all perform side by side. But if you are going to spend $2k on something and plan to keep it for a long time, what is another say $400 over a 10 year span. Of course, if I did the 896 pair, it would be without a center for a while until I saved additional funds for one, but right now I'm still leaning towards the 596.2 set in black finish. And I get that in a store they won't sound the same as at my house, but at least you can get some sort of idea of the speakers capability. Especially when the store does A / B testing with the same equipment and locations. They used to do this when I bought my magnepan's back in the 90's anyway. :)

If I get the 596.2 setup, it may have to run on my existing onkyo 636 for 3 or 4 months though, but it won't be permanent. Will that be an issue you think?

And one more thought. The sound of the 596.2, via the u-tube links above anyway, reminds me of the warm sound I remember when listening to Totem speakers in person. Very warm, up front presence with strong midrange. But the Cantons have more bass than I remember from those Totems. Don't remember the model though.

Last edited:
K

kini

Full Audioholic
Hard to say without being able to walk into a store and hear them all perform side by side. But if you are going to spend $2k on something and plan to keep it for a long time, what is another say $400 over a 10 year span. Of course, if I did the 896 pair, it would be without a center for a while until I saved additional funds for one, but right now I'm still leaning towards the 596.2 set in black finish. And I get that in a store they won't sound the same as at my house, but at least you can get some sort of idea of the speakers capability. Especially when the store does A / B testing with the same equipment and locations. They used to do this when I bought my magnepan's back in the 90's anyway. :)
Crutchfield has a speaker compare tool. You use a pair of headphones (they support quite a few of the more popular ones) then pick up to 3 speakers and listen to some pre-selected tracks. It may be of some help. I tried it once but had a hard time discerning much difference between speakers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
All of the speakers in those videos are terrible. Every one of them sound like the cheap little speakers used in a Samsung Galaxy tablet to me...

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
All of the speakers in those videos are terrible. Every one of them sound like the cheap little speakers used in a Samsung Galaxy tablet to me...
because of the video, or because of the speakers? Or you listened on a galaxy tablet? LOL

What speakers do you prefer?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis