The Audyssey MultEQ Editor app users thread (with facts and tips)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So it didn't take long you see..... You have it very close to flat now so two things to consider:

1) Any further improvement for even 0.5 dB peak to peak overall will take you 10 to 100X longer, just an educated guess.

2) You won't be able to tell a difference between +/- 1.0 dB and +/- 2.5 dB in the 20-100 Hz range if you are human.

3) Try and create your "house" curve, or just bump you subwoofer level(s) by 2 dB and see if that sounds good enough to me.

I tried to tilt the low end up per Dr. Olive and Dr. Toole's finding that most people don't prefer flat, but a gradual rise towards the low end. Well now I know I am definitely not in the "most" group as I seem to prefer the flat curve though I always use DEQ if I listen to levels well below "ref". If I turn the volume to even just -10--15, I have to turn DEQ off otherwise someone in he house will want to kill me anyway.

So 3) is probably something that you should just try. The good thing with the App is that you can save as many versions as you practically would want/need.
Right now I've got the subs 2 dB hot and that pretty much creates the house curve for me. It sounds pretty good and when I tried to get things better up to 200hz, it didn't make things better really. I'm going to stick with what I have now since it's as good as I could get. Once I get the other subs in place I'll get back to it.

Thanks again for the help.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It really is! Folks give me crap because I'm never completely satisfied and always messing with it. It's not that I think what I have isn't good, it's just... kinda fun. I genuinely have fun with it. I have some ocd tendencies and this kind of thing feeds right into it.
Right. The only issue I ran into when trying to get to perfect up to 200hz was that things got worse in some ways so I went back to the "good" curve. It's surprising how powerful this is and how dumb they are for not producing their own PC app as opposed to making us do it on our phone/tablet. No way to possibly get the level of precision we can with ratbuddyssey.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Right now I've got the subs 2 dB hot and that pretty much creates the house curve for me. It sounds pretty good and when I tried to get things better up to 200hz, it didn't make things better really. I'm going to stick with what I have now since it's as good as I could get. Once I get the other subs in place I'll get back to it.

Thanks again for the help.
To do it up to 200 Hz, you have to focus on the front left and right.

When you do that, it will affect the 10-100 Hz unless you set XO very high. I did mine up to 200 Hz with good enough results but I know it can be much better if I invest more time.

Jon AA has done a great job with his and you can follow his procedure if you have time. Take a look of his graphs and see if you get tempted.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
To do it up to 200 Hz, you have to focus on the front left and right.

When you do that, it will affect the 10-100 Hz unless you set XO very high. I did mine up to 200 Hz with good enough results but I know it can be much better if I invest more time.

Jon AA has done a great job with his and you can follow his procedure if you have time. Take a look of his graphs and see if you get tempted.
I'll do that once I get the other subs done. Two more subs at the rear that are more powerful than the front will change things enough that I should spend the time tweaking things once those are done. Shouldn't be too long.

T

tparm

Audioholic
Oh man, you guys..... so rich with knowledge and data. ill Need to read this thread again but thanks for putting all this information here. No idea if I am capable of what y’all have accomplished here but I look forward to trying.

I

IMWhizzle

Audioholic Intern
First time using Ratbuddy, feels like the app is unlocking freedom! Question though, I'm sorry if it's been asked before, but when creating a custom house curve, in my case: 6db, I wonder if I use the boost on all speakers, including surrounds and height speakers. Or is it only necessary for the mains (or mains + center for that matter)?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
First time using Ratbuddy, feels like the app is unlocking freedom! Question though, I'm sorry if it's been asked before, but when creating a custom house curve, in my case: 6db, I wonder if I use the boost on all speakers, including surrounds and height speakers. Or is it only necessary for the mains (or mains + center for that matter)?
A 6 dB house curve? Are you using a subwoofer?

I don't create a house curve, I use DEQ and different RLO settings for different material for my house curve. If you have Audyssey, DEQ can do the curve for you.

*Edit: I explain my method and show charts in post #161.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Found a good video by Denon and Audyssey:

It has two parts, but part 2 linked below is the one deals more with the MultEQ Editor App. It is quite good as it answered most of the common questions, including how they came up with the before and after curves.

I

IMWhizzle

Audioholic Intern

I don't create a house curve, I use DEQ and different RLO settings for different material for my house curve. If you have Audyssey, DEQ can do the curve for you.

Yes, 6db sounds nice in my room. I have two subwoofers. I don’t like DEQ because of the weird things it does to the levels in the surrounds. Even an offset of 15db does not sound natural.

With the ratbuddy app I was able to boost all the speakers and the subs evenly in the low end and it sounds glorious. So much better than DEQ in my opinion.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
With the ratbuddy app I was able to boost all the speakers and the subs evenly in the low end and it sounds glorious. So much better than DEQ in my opinion.
Yes, that EQ setup can add clarity to the sound quality.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Found a good video by Denon and Audyssey:

It has two parts, but part 2 linked below is the one deals more with the MultEQ Editor App. It is quite good as it answered most of the common questions, including how they came up with the before and after curves.

Watched both, it was good to learn about the "predicted" curve and how they verified it with lasers etc.

P

ParisB

Audioholic

I've tried so many house curves and manual tweaks and ratbuddy etc. I always end up going back to DEQ. Sounds so good in my system, nice clean, even, and smooth. Works perfectly as intended, including the surround boosts.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I've tried so many house curves and manual tweaks and ratbuddy etc. I always end up going back to DEQ. Sounds so good in my system, nice clean, even, and smooth. Works perfectly as intended, including the surround boosts.
Same for me. I do think most people prefer boost bass with a gentle up slope from may be 100 hz to 10 hz, that's what the Harman studies found anyway. There are obvious some, though fewer people like you and I who prefer the flatter curve, that I would like to believe more represent what the recording/mastering intended it to be. So in the end it is just a subjective thing, i.e. individual's preference.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
DEQ is the easy solution when you want more bass at the push of a button. It immediate increases the volume and the bass. With DEQ off I usually have to increase volume on the Denon 4500 by 6-8 points higher to match the DEQ mode sound level.

I found by adding three subs and a slight Audyssey +3db EQ bass curve I can get a similar sound with DEQ off. In that mode, the mid range and highs seem a bit more open to my ears.

If you are at a pretty good volume already and turn on DEQ mode the sound blasts significantly louder. That makes it a little difficult to do an easy A-B test of DEQ on vs off.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
DEQ is the easy solution when you want more bass at the push of a button. It immediate increases the volume and the bass. With DEQ off I usually have to increase volume on the Denon 4500 by 6-8 points higher to match the DEQ mode sound level.

I found by adding three subs and a slight Audyssey +3db EQ bass curve I can get a similar sound with DEQ off. In that mode, the mid range and highs seem a bit more open to my ears.

If you are at a pretty good volume already and turn on DEQ mode the sound blasts significantly louder. That makes it a little difficult to do an easy A-B test of DEQ on vs off.
Oh I know. Don't get me wrong, I'm very familiar with the details and inner workings and differences. I'm an obsessive tweaker and measure guy and test and experiment with countless scenes and timestamps :)

DEQ just hits it perfectly for me with my speakers, subs, room, and preferences.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Finally got a chance to run some new measurement checks (trust, but verify :))

Although I'm probably tilting the response a little too much, I like using CinemaEQ with Reference. The Flat for some reason has a slight rising response so my choices are either not enough or too much; but this sounds good to me.

I used the smooth to overlay the differences between just Reference and then with CinemaEQ. Also did a check with just the Center channel (psychoacoustic smoothing).

B

bearr48

Audiophyte
Thank you all for contributing your knowledge and experience to this forum. I'm slowly absorbing the information, and have a simple-minded question for starters: Once I have made a copy of a curve using the app, how do I give it a (hopefully descriptive) name? Not intuitive at all, at least for me. I wish someone would create an "Audyssey App for Dummies" tutorial. When I grow some more brain cells, I hope to download and use Ratbuddy. Thanks again!

L

Lattiboy

Audioholic Intern
Oh I know. Don't get me wrong, I'm very familiar with the details and inner workings and differences. I'm an obsessive tweaker and measure guy and test and experiment with countless scenes and timestamps :)

DEQ just hits it perfectly for me with my speakers, subs, room, and preferences.
I agree. I just used Audyssey to setup a pair of full range speakers (Canton CT-120) without subs. The DEQ feature with a 5 or 10 offset is like an almost perfect loudness button on vintage receivers. Adds just enough punch without being artificial.

L

Lattiboy

Audioholic Intern
I’m going to do a REW reading in the next few days, but check this out:

7348E792-A6B9-42C4-9C04-0F7A24E21A2E.jpeg

I’ve never seen a reading like that on a full range speaker before. These Cantons man.... they’re pretty okay!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis