The Audyssey MultEQ Editor app users thread (with facts and tips)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi all,

I’ve read through this thread with great interest, and posted a question in the main forum yesterday, but I think I need the advice of you lot, as so far the only thing I’ve been told is Audyssey is garbage and I shouldn’t use it

I have an issue (on both the Marantz 6012 and Denon 3500H) where I get a constant bass distortion from my left speaker when using Audyssey with my external DAC. I’m running it into the CD input RCAs. On both receivers!

I figured it was a line level input issue, but even after setting the source input to -10db the distortion remains. Also, if I use Airplay or other digital inputs the distortion isn’t present

To make things even weirder, when I run the DAC in “pure direct” mode there is no distortion, even at incredibly high SPLs.

I’ve attached a photo of my room correction results.

I’m running a Marantz SR6012 into two NAD 2400thx power amps, driving my NHT Classic Four speakers, being aided by two Infinity Sub R12s. The external DAC is the D1+ tube DAC from Maverick Audio.

the distortion is present even with “L/R bypass” or Flat is selected, which makes no sense. I’ve also attached my levels post calibration.
From the screenshots you posted I see no reason for the distortions to be Audyssey related. You said no distortions in pure direct, but have you tried Audyssey off (I know you tried bypass already). When on pure direct, did you play exactly the same content, and play it long enough just to be sure? And same for direct, and stereo with Audyssey set to "off"?

If you are 100% sure that the distortion is only audible from the left channel and that the speaker is not the problem (proved by swapping the left/right interconnects), and only when Audyssey on then I would say it has to be the DAC. What's the model number of the DAC?

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
From the screenshots you posted I see no reason for the distortions to be Audyssey related. You said no distortions in pure direct, but have you tried Audyssey off (I know you tried bypass already). When on pure direct, did you play exactly the same content, and play it long enough just to be sure? And same for direct, and stereo with Audyssey set to "off"?

If you are 100% sure that the distortion is only audible from the left channel and that the speaker is not the problem (proved by swapping the left/right interconnects), and only when Audyssey on then I would say it has to be the DAC. What's the model number of the DAC?
I thought the boost that Audyssey is placing around 200 Hz could be responsible for that.

I would have to confirm with REW if that boost is needed or was placed there by an error in the algorithm. Either way, it is not preferable to boost the signal in that range.

Most speakers have higher distortion below 300 Hz than above it.

So boosting in that region may account for the higher distortion. Just a thought.

Good suggestion to check this distortion with Audyssey turned off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic

I thought the boost that Audyssey is placing around 200 Hz could be responsible for that.

I would have to confirm with REW if that boost is needed or was placed there by an error in the algorithm.

So boosting in that region may account for the higher distortion. Just a thought.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I would have to confirm with REW if that boost is needed or was placed there by an error in the algorithm.

I know what you mean, but he said he heard the distortions in L/R bypass mode too so that's why I think he needs to consider the DAC possibility and that's why I asked for the model number. If the DAC has coax or optical output, he should try that too.

Last edited:
L

Lattiboy

Audioholic Intern
I know what you mean, but he said he heard the distortions in L/R bypass mode too so that's why I think he needs to consider the DAC possibility and that's why I asked for the model number. If the DAC has coax or optical output, he should try that too.
I got my hands on another DAC and will switch it out today and test. I’ll also test the audyssey off with Norma stereo mode.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I got my hands on another DAC and will switch it out today and test. I’ll also test the audyssey off with Norma stereo mode.
Thanks, one more trial, whatever player you are using with the DAC, see if you can change the sampling frequency, such as 16bit/44.1 kHz and 48 kHz. The AVR is on 48 kHz with Audyssey On.

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic
Oh yea. Thank you. In my case the distortion goes away in L/R bypass mode.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
To be clear, trying different sampling freq is just part of troubling something that weird. If the DAC and the AVR work the way they should then it won't make any difference. If it does, then we can go from there.

L

Lattiboy

Audioholic Intern
Well, the mystery goes on!

New DAC, no tube section, NO DISTORTION!

Making it weirder still is that this DAC and the one that causes distortion are practically identical except for the tube section. The one that’s working is a XiangSheng DAC-01B, which is very similar to the MaverickAudio D1+!

Somehow the tube DAC is messing with the audyssey algorithm as in pure direct and direct mode there is no distortion.

S

shkumar4963

Audioholic

Making it weirder still is that this DAC and the one that causes distortion are practically identical except for the tube section. The one that’s working is a XiangSheng DAC-01B, which is very similar to the MaverickAudio D1+!

Somehow the tube DAC is messing with the audyssey algorithm as in pure direct and direct mode there is no distortion.
Wow.

L

Lattiboy

Audioholic Intern
I’ve now done extensive testing with the “L/R bypass” and “reference” enabled for Audyssey and there is no distortion with the new DAC.

Again, super weird the tube stage of the DAC causes distortion with Audyssey, but that’s all I can come up with based on evidence. I’m playing music at reference level spls without any issues, when I switch to the tube DAC it gets all weird and distorted. I’m going to swap the tube tomorrow and see if it’s that sensitive....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Well, thanks for the quick feedback and now I can say I rest my case.:D I suspected the DAC based purely on logic, now that it is proven, I would think the issue is not the tube section because if it is, if you flip the interconnect at the DAC end, the distortion would have switched to the other channel. If not, then I would suspect what is being messed with, whether by the tube section of something else, is in the process of sampling frequency being converted between the DAC and the AVR, because if you engage Audyssey, the AVR would have to convert the frequency to 48 kHz regardless of what the incoming is. That's why I also suggested to try different sampling frequency on the first DAC to see if it would make any difference.

Further, even if it is somehow, someway related to sampling frequency, it still could be a driver compatibility issue, it just not a simple thing. The fact that your second DAC works is a relieve regardless as you can now go back to enjoy music instead of wondering about the hardware.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Started to play with the FL/FR channels a little with Ratbuddyssey, got a prettier graph. Seems to sound good too.

1592761691525.png

A

atomic4877

Audiophyte
Having trouble with the multieq app recognizing my Denon x6500h. I have used the app a few months ago without any issues when calibrating my system. I installed my new sub and front stage yesterday and wanted to run a new calibration, but for some reason the app won't find my receiver anymore. Both my phone and the receiver are connected to the same network. I also cannot find it with the ip address listed in the Denon either. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Having trouble with the multieq app recognizing my Denon x6500h. I have used the app a few months ago without any issues when calibrating my system. I installed my new sub and front stage yesterday and wanted to run a new calibration, but for some reason the app won't find my receiver anymore. Both my phone and the receiver are connected to the same network. I also cannot find it with the ip address listed in the Denon either. Any ideas on what could be wrong?
You can try uninstalling the app and re-installing it but it sounds more like a network issue if you can find the Denon's ip address. So if re-installing the app doesn't work you should try and set up the Denon's internet connection again. If nothing helps then I guess you are going to have to reset the processor and start setup from scratch. Good thing you have the App otherwise after a reset you have to re-run Audyssey.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I run into that sometimes too. Uninstalling/reinstalling the app fixed it.

I spent this past weekend playing with ratbuddyssey to positive effect.

06-22-20 final fr.jpg

I think that's as good as I've ever seen from my system. I'm still using a MiniDSP from 90 hz and down, but used RB with the app editor above 90 hz. I found it tedious and time consuming, but effective. I don't think there's anything I couldn't do manually with the app that I can do manually with REW. I still prefer REW for ease of use and time involved, but I'm super tickled with what I was able to accomplish with RB and the app!

I officially love the app editor now and fully endorse it!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I also spent a lot of time moving my right speaker around as that side is a big problem with a nasty null. I was able to gain a few dB back (no eq, just positional) by moving it about 6" more to the right. That couple of dB was enough for Audyssey to do a much better job on its own. Check this out.

06-22-20 multeq only.jpg

That is 100% MultEQ XT32 with no manual adjustments from the mini or editor at all!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I run into that sometimes too. Uninstalling/reinstalling the app fixed it.

I spent this past weekend playing with ratbuddyssey to positive effect.

View attachment 37415

I think that's as good as I've ever seen from my system. I'm still using a MiniDSP from 90 hz and down, but used RB with the app editor above 90 hz. I found it tedious and time consuming, but effective. I don't think there's anything I couldn't do manually with the app that I can't do manually with REW. I still prefer REW for ease of use and time involved, but I'm super tickled with what I was able to accomplish with RB and the app!

I officially love the app editor now and fully endorse it!
That looks really good for up to 200 Hz!! Again, beware that if you want to do better, even with Ratbuddyssey it will take infinitely more trial and error. I did it only for fun, not for audibly better sound as it ain't going to happen. No one can tell the difference between +/- 0.8 dB and +/- 1.5 dB in the 20-200 Hz range. Best I managed so far was about +/- 0.8 dB 1/12 smoothing or +/- 1 to 1.5 dB no smoothing. I have started working on a house curve but so far I have to admit, the very flat curve suit me just fine. I know now I am not a certified bassholic,:p probably not certifiable at all.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That looks really good for up to 200 Hz!! Again, beware that if you want to do better, even with Ratbuddyssey it will take infinitely more trial and error. I did it only for fun, not for audibly better sound as it ain't going to happen. No one can tell the difference between +/- 0.8 dB and +/- 1.5 dB in the 20-200 Hz range. Best I managed so far was about +/- 0.8 dB 1/12 smoothing or +/- 1 to 1.5 dB no smoothing. I have started working on a house curve but so far I have to admit, the very flat curve suit me just fine. I know now I am not a certified bassholic,:p probably not certifiable at all.
Thanks Peng!

I use DEQ as my house curve. RLO 10.

06-22-20 house curve.jpg

And I have options! For use here on the forums I labeled a couple more charts to illustrate effects of DEQ and the reference level offsets. Seems like it's come up a few times recently and these are a great visual.

06-22-20 DEQ RLO EQ1.jpg

06-22-20 DEQ RLO EQ2.jpg

It's also a great illustration of the 2 EQ settings with HSUs VTF series of subwoofers.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis