Are these Old Speakers Dying, if So Can you Recommend a modern Equivalent.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, I'm just gonna come right out and ask... Why are you avoiding posting images of the actual speakers you're talking about..? Are they embarrassing to you or something?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, I'm just gonna come right out and ask... Why are you avoiding posting images of the actual speakers you're talking about..? Are they embarrassing to you or something?
LOL thought I avoided cameras, even tho that's near impossible with today's phones.....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I think he’s confused we need pictures or something!! I say op should just get something better and sell them if he does not want to waste money on New surrounds . I don’t see point of a speaker with a False woofer .
Little ported bookshelf probably produces better bass .

Rtr is a good vintage brand to look out for .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay, just for the record it's not a "false woofer". It's a passive radiator that's designed to move with the other speaker instead of using a port. A lot of manufacturers use them in their speakers and subs. I had a pair of DefTechs with passive radiators like that (SM55s) and I thought they sounded pretty good actually.

h735SM55-o_grilleoff.jpeg
1112deft.topoff.jpg

Wiki link explaining passive radiators.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Okay, just for the record it's not a "false woofer". It's a passive radiator that's designed to move with the other speaker instead of using a port. A lot of manufacturers use them in their speakers and subs. I had a pair of DefTechs with passive radiators like that (SM55s) and I thought they sounded pretty good actually.

View attachment 31757View attachment 31758

Wiki link explaining passive radiators.
I considered def tech but I didn’t have enough money . Are they better then other similar priced brands? They have towers with with in subs .
Same design as goldenear but cheaper?? Which one is really better . Golden cost a lot more

Ultimate bass lover !! Stereo integrity si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
Because I don't upload anything to the internet and I'm not about to start now when the links I provided are an exact replica of what my speakers currently look like, for anyone who still cares, if you have any new recommendations for floor or tower speakers, the least expensive you know of that still provide some quality as I often find for my listening style, the basic ones provide a clean sound.

By new I mean not used, thanks.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
If I knew more about speaker design I’d say replace the bottom woofer with something real and refoamed the top one .

That would probably work out worse. A passive radiator works in a "push-pull" tandem with the active woofer. Replacing it with a second active woofer will cause them both to move in sync (push-push) and there's nowhere for that pressure inside the cabinet to go. They will work against each other, and with enough power one could even get damaged.

Now there are systems which are built this way (acoustic suspension), but the woofer's and cabinet alike have to be designed for this purpose. http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/advent-heritage-9.html

http://www.centerpointaudio.com/passiveradiators.aspx

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
If I knew more about speaker design I’d say replace the bottom woofer with something real and refoamed the top one .

That would probably work out worse. A passive radiator works in a "push-pull" tandem with the active woofer. Replacing it with a second active woofer will cause them both to move in sync (push-push) and there's nowhere for that pressure inside the cabinet to go. They will work against each other, and with enough power one could even get damaged.

Now there are systems which are built this way (acoustic suspension), but the woofer's and cabinet alike have to be designed for this purpose. http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/advent-heritage-9.html

http://www.centerpointaudio.com/passiveradiators.aspx

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
Because I don't upload anything to the internet and I'm not about to start now when the links I provided are an exact replica of what my speakers currently look like, for anyone who still cares, if you have any new recommendations for floor or tower speakers, the least expensive you know of that still provide some quality as I often find for my listening style, the basic ones provide a clean sound.

By new I mean not used, thanks.
What is your definition of cheap What's your budget.
https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/monoprice-monolith-thx-365t-thx-365c

https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/dayton-mk442t

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
That’s a fantastic price for a new pair of floor standing 3-ways.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I trust your recommendation on these, my only hesitance is will they have the same return policy as a Best Buy.
Best Buy returns are more friendly -- but nothing at Best Buy will match the quality and sound of the DCM for the price ... your call

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
Best Buy returns are more friendly -- but nothing at Best Buy will match the quality and sound of the DCM for the price ... your call
Someone reviewed the bookshelf T160's,

I know you can't really determine quality from a Youtube review but these sound amazing, of course different receivers etc.

But what are your thoughts on these two way DCM TP-160CH's https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-2-Way-Tower-Speaker-Floor-Standing-Home-Theater-Audio-DCM-TP160-CH-2-Pack/183952338190?hash=item2ad469ed0e:g:ussAAOSwEfZdeqdp

$150 for the pair and again I don't need heavy bass.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I know you can't really determine quality from a Youtube review but these sound amazing, of course different receivers etc.

But what are your thoughts on these two way DCM TP-160CH's https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-2-Way-Tower-Speaker-Floor-Standing-Home-Theater-Audio-DCM-TP160-CH-2-Pack/183952338190?hash=item2ad469ed0e:g:ussAAOSwEfZdeqdp

$150 for the pair and again I don't need heavy bass.
They are voiced the same -- they would be some good sounding speakers for a crazy good price. DCM is for real

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
They are voiced the same -- they would be some good sounding speakers for a crazy good price. DCM is for real
Just to update to anyone who cares and who might have the same speaker issue, duct tape on the edges where the foam used to be is working for now, I appreciate all of the speaker recommendations, I'll have to settle on something eventually, I was hoping to find something in the store so I could actually try them out but in today's age those possibilities are limited.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Just to update to anyone who cares and who might have the same speaker issue, duct tape on the edges where the foam used to be is working for now, I appreciate all of the speaker recommendations, I'll have to settle on something eventually, I was hoping to find something in the store so I could actually try them out but in today's age those possibilities are limited.
Duct tape is not a suitable cone termination. If you like those speakers, Simply speakers could probably repair them properly. You might also be able to do this yourself.

There really is no modern equivalent of those speakers. Designs now are very different, so any new purchase is likely to sound significantly different from those. Current designs do have a number of advantages, but often lack the power handling in that upper bass power band from 80 Hz to 400 Hz. I pretty sure that is why many still value that older approach. The big problem with those Far Eastern speakers and others was a very poor quality midrange and poor dispersion patterns.

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
Duct tape is not a suitable cone termination. If you like those speakers, Simply speakers could probably repair them properly. You might also be able to do this yourself.

There really is no modern equivalent of those speakers. Designs now are very different, so any new purchase is likely to sound significantly different from those. Current designs do have a number of advantages, but often lack the power handling in that upper bass power band from 80 Hz to 400 Hz. I pretty sure that is why many still value that older approach. The big problem with those Far Eastern speakers and others was a very poor quality midrange and poor dispersion patterns.
Thanks, yes it is definitely not an ideal solution but it is stopping the vibration type sounds I hear when listening to people speaking on tv or talk radio on SiriusXM.

I know this is all subjective and difficult to convey, it is not about listening at super loud levels, I prefer a clean sound for movies, tv announcers, talk radio, and for music, but there is no standard metric for these things.

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
I actually stumbled upon your thread on similar speakers over at AVS forum (TFE100), you wrote that the only issue was the bass was a little heavy, would it be the same with these, I usually keep the EQ off, don't like heavy bass. The only thing right now holding me back is the 20 percent restocking fee if I need to return them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis