Are these Old Speakers Dying, if So Can you Recommend a modern Equivalent.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I will probably try the foam, it has happened a few more times, I press the baffle slightly and it goes away, perhaps the missing foam is causing the baffle to vibrate or somehow produce the distortion.
You press the baffle of the speaker, i.e. the board the drivers are mounted to? Earlier you said the foam (assuming you mean the surround of one of the drivers....or is it specifically the passive radiator?).

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Floorstanding old 1990 Sony SS-U501 Speakers, you can see them here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/202221328292

The bottom woofer is just for show, foam only, OK, I realize these are not considered great speakers but I've stuck with them because even with a low grade $200 Sony MHC-GX450, it sounds good to me, clearly I am no audiophile but if these speakers are going I would like to learn what could be a modern equivalent in terms of power and clean sound.

It is 8 ohms at 270 watts, does that mean 270 is the peak, I think the woofer is 12", not certain modern speakers are even made in that size but if I have to replace them, what could be a sub $500 replacement and sub $1000 replacement?

Finally the original question, are they dying, this is happening to one speaker, you get like a sort of echo, faint but noticeable on dialogue for tv/movies and fm radio announcers etc. But here is the odd thing, I take the speaker cover off, manipulate the foam with my hands and the echo interference is gone, in the past month this echo effect has only happened twice and each time I just move the foam, goes away, magic, coincidence, some build up of what??? I don't know, luck, who knows, this whole thread is a longshot because I realize that many factors could be causing such interference including possibly a neighbor's wifi, but I'm just throwing it out there in hopes somebody else has dealt with this.

Also part of the foam covering has broken away and I don't know if that is influencing things but this echo effect is so isolated, I'm not even certain an echo is the right word, kind of like each word is elongated at the end in a hiss type fashion.

Thanks for your time and help.
If you really like the sound then fix them .
Depends what repair cost is , show your pictures not sure how much I’d invest they look low end.
Depends how bad cones are get us pictures!! :oops:

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
Depends what repair cost is , show your pictures not sure how much I’d invest they look low end.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202221328292

From the original link, only difference with mine are is that you see the indentation between where the screws are and the circular baffle is, those foam strips have worn away in a few of those areas and broken off, especially the upper portion.

You can buy the foam on ebay for $10.

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
You press the baffle of the speaker, i.e. the board the drivers are mounted to? Earlier you said the foam (assuming you mean the surround of one of the drivers....or is it specifically the passive radiator?).
I don't know if they are called baffles but look at the pictures here of somebody selling the same model: https://www.ebay.com/itm/202221328292

Refer to my previous post, the foam in that groove, the indentation that goes around in a circle, what I press is the covering of the speaker that is left immediately next to the missing foam in that groove.

And again I don't think it is a passive radiator, the bottom woofer is not an actual woofer, it is there for appearance, it gives you the option of adding an actual woofer, when you remove the bottom, all that is present is an empty grille and the foam covering.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I don't know if they are called baffles but look at the pictures here of somebody selling the same model: https://www.ebay.com/itm/202221328292

Refer to my previous post, the foam in that groove, the indentation that goes around in a circle, what I press is the covering of the speaker that is left immediately next to the missing foam in that groove.

And again I don't think it is a passive radiator, the bottom woofer is not an actual woofer, it is there for appearance, it gives you the option of adding an actual woofer, when you remove the bottom, all that is present is an empty grille and the foam covering.
You may be able to add a passive or a additional woofer or 12” Pa midrange who knows if it’s worth doing to these speakers but could be better then no woofer in bottom . I do not know how you re wire two woofers in one speaker , or how to make a crossover , or add to one .
False woofer wtf !!!??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
You may be able to add a passive or a additional woofer or 12” Pa midrange who knows if it’s worth doing to these speakers but could be better then no woofer in bottom . I do not know how you re wire two woofers in one speaker , or how to make a crossover , or add to one .
False woofer wtf !!!??

Yeah, the more I think about it, I'm leaning toward just buying a new pair of speakers, it should not be that expensive to match these or even exceed their quality.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, the more I think about it, I'm leaning toward just buying a new pair of speakers, it should not be that expensive to match these or even exceed their quality.
Yeah it wild cost a lot to fix them . If they look cool enough you may be able to sell them for enough. What’s do you pay for them ?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Whose speakers are those? I'm still a little confused. Are you selling them on ebay? Do you have pics of your speakers?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Correct terminology helps. As I mentioned a baffle is the board/face of the loudspeaker that the various drivers (tweeter, midrange, midwoofer, woofer, passive radiator etc) are mounted on. There may be a port or vent as well. What you seem to be describing by foam is the surround, cover not sure what you mean (or missing foam)...the decorative plastic piece on the baffle around the drivers (that have openings for the screws)? The cone of the driver? The dustcap?

The comments from the ebay seller and some others from those talking about this line of speakers is where I'm getting passive radiator.

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
Whose speakers are those? I'm still a little confused. Are you selling them on ebay? Do you have pics of your speakers?
Those are pictures from somebody else, an Ebay seller, I did not post specific pictures of my speakers but it is not necessary as those are my model of speakers, only difference being some of the foam edges are missing on the woofer.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those are pictures from somebody else, an Ebay seller, I did not post specific pictures of my speakers but it is not necessary as those are my model of speakers, only difference being some of the foam edges are missing on the woofer.
In your first post you ask if we think they're dead or worth saving. Kinda hard to say unless you wanna share some pics of the actual speakers your asking about...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like he needs new speakers...
Well, that's a distinct possibility, too :) But it could be educational to put new surrounds on....if there aren't other issues going on.

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
In your first post you ask if we think they're dead or worth saving. Kinda hard to say unless you wanna share some pics of the actual speakers your asking about...
No, I was asking if that kind of audio distortion was a sign the speaker was dying, not the way it looked, they look exactly the same as those pictures minus a little bit of foam missing off the edges.

Kind of like this but not nearly as bad: https://www.instructables.com/id/re-foam-your-old-speakers/

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, I was asking if that kind of audio distortion was a sign the speaker was dying, not the way it looked, they look exactly the same as those pictures minus a little bit of foam missing off the edges.

Kind of like this but not nearly as bad: https://www.instructables.com/id/re-foam-your-old-speakers/
Any foam missing from the surrounds is a problem....but would be helpful to see your particular speakers rather than the guy selling those without such problem.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Sounds like he needs new speakers...
Yeah I think he’s confused we need pictures or something!! I say op should just get something better and sell them if he does not want to waste money on New surrounds . I don’t see point of a speaker with a False woofer .
Little ported bookshelf probably produces better bass .

Rtr is a good vintage brand to look out for .

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
If I knew more about speaker design I’d say replace the bottom woofer with something real and refoamed the top one .

A

AudioGekko

Junior Audioholic
If I knew more about speaker design I’d say replace the bottom woofer with something real and refoamed the top one .

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/scoring.658398/

OK, again a picture from a different owner but you see the left speaker, that is the same foam degradation I have, do you see where the foam is missing, the edge, what is that called (whatever the disc that surrounds the cone is called), that is what removes the distortion by just pressing on it.

According to the thread the lower is a passive radiator so I will place it back on, right now the distortion disappears for weeks at a time so that will give me some time to research replacements.

Does anyone think a Polk R50 (150 watts/90db sensitivity) could replace these, righ now on sale at NewEgg for $67 each.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/scoring.658398/

OK, again a picture from a different owner but you see the left speaker, that is the same foam degradation I have, do you see where the foam is missing, the edge, what is that called (whatever the disc that surrounds the cone is called),that is what removes the distortion by just pressing on it.

According to the thread the lower is a passive radiator so I will place it back on, right now the distortion disappears for weeks at a time so that will give me some time to research replacements.

Does anyone think a Polk R50 (150 watts/90db sensitivity) could replace these, righ now on sale at NewEgg for $67 each.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to read this thread.
Those appear to have the need to replace the foam surrounds as well. You linked such a kit earlier. If you like the Polk....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis