S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have an old Pioneer Elite DV 38A DVD-A player that has no HDMI output for the OSD, thankful they still have one or some.
DVD-A and SACD are cool. I do play them over HDMI on my Sony X800 but not every UHD player can play those formats.

Stevor

Stevor

Audiophyte
DVD-A and SACD are cool. I do play them over HDMI on my Sony X800 but not every UHD player can play those formats.
I have a bunch along with an ever growing library of BluRay Audio discs I pick up as soon as they are available. They always seem to be very limited runs and I love 5.1, generally but have a dedicated 2.1 channel system as well.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Well 1080p is the highest resolution possible on component video cables.
rg6qs can produce a high resolution analog format . It can send more data than cat.5 or cat 6 in an analog form. Most people don't understand what they're talking about or just misinformed. One reason why they won't use an analog medium for 4K is because they can not encode anti-piracy protection such as hdcp. Since HDMI sends data in a binary form, they can encrypt their material and have more control over copy right protection. And rg6qs in analog (waveform) ( same as rgb, per say except not quad shielded), making it difficult if not impossible to encode (encrypt) the signal. So copyright protection goes down the drain, can't have that can we :).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
rg6qs can produce a high resolution analog format . It can send more data than cat.5 or cat 6 in an analog form. Most people don't understand what they're talking about or just misinformed. One reason why they won't use an analog medium for 4K is because they can not encode anti-piracy protection such as hdcp. Since HDMI sends data in a binary form, they can encrypt their material and have more control over copy right protection. And rg6qs in analog (waveform) ( same as rgb, per say except not quad shielded), making it difficult if not impossible to encode (encrypt) the signal. So copyright protection goes down the drain, can't have that can we :).
Interesting. Well if I’m buying a disc, it’s usually going to be 4K UHD HDR.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Interesting. Well if I’m buying a disc, it’s usually going to be 4K UHD HDR.
Agreed, and they don't give us much choice now a days. Digital has great benefits, but so does analog. But I think there could be reasons why they are trying to wipe analog out. Encryption being the number one factor.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've managed to keep my non-HDMI Pre-Pro pretty much up to date with two add-ons: an Airport Express and an OPPO-205. With the OPPO I can enjoy multi-channel music from Disc or Download and with AE I can enjoy iTunes/Apple Music with the wireless convenience. Still, having an HDMI Pre-Pro would mean less tiresome synchronization needs between components and PC and thus I'm thinking about buying the Sony STR-2100ES AVR, which sells for about $1399. The Sony does not feature Airplay but as mentioned, I've got that covered.

Last edited:
M

MTSound

Audioholic Intern
The a1080 and a3080 are on the cyber Monday specials page of World Wide Stereo. When you apply promo code they are 30% off. World wide stereo also has 15% cash back right now through the rokuten app

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hi Audioholics.
Well it's about time to upgrade from my Yamaha rxv3800b, (my baby).
I've had her for nearly 15 years and I think I have her sounding really nice, I've put in a lot of work over the years and learned a lot.
I'm worried that I may not be able to expect much improvement regardless of how much I spend on a receiver. I'm hoping someone here can ease my fears. I will particularly miss the beautiful Yamaha orange of my display, I don't much like the blue colours but I can live with it.
I'm using REW and have SVS ultras.
It sounds really nice.
Am I approaching a point of diminishing returns?
Thanks guys
The new Yamaha 3000-series will sound just as awesome as your good old 3000-series, except even better because of Atmos, DTSX, DSU, and NeuralX.

The only stress I see is the part where you have to pay the money. :D

But once the money is paid, your new Yamaha should be all good for another 15 years. :D

H

Hyperbole

Enthusiast
Op, unless I missed it, I didn't see what your budget was or is I should say. Some have recommended the denon 3500, however if budget permits I would at least step up to the 3600. I know some wont quiver about the 3500, but I wouldn't take it even if it were for free. Heat sinks are a joke and placement of the power transformer looks awful to. At least the 3600 appears to have decent heat sinks and the transformer has been repositioned properly.

Some people are going to jump in and say , oh it doesn't matter. But it does. Electrical components are inherently noisy, and the quality of those components and there placement makes a difference. Looking at the 3600 makes you think they caught the mistakes on the 3500 and addressed them correctly on the 3600.Take a look for yourself and you be the judge.
I'm willing to be very generous with my budget.
Spend it well spend it once. I am coming to see that a denon avrx3600h would do and spend good money on a nice power amp. It is a shame that a nice receiver worth solid money becomes worthless after a too short time just from technology obsolescence but it is what it is I suppose

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Op, unless I missed it, I didn't see what your budget was or is I should say. Some have recommended the denon 3500, however if budget permits I would at least step up to the 3600. I know some wont quiver about the 3500, but I wouldn't take it even if it were for free. Heat sinks are a joke and placement of the power transformer looks awful to. At least the 3600 appears to have decent heat sinks and the transformer has been repositioned properly.

Some people are going to jump in and say , oh it doesn't matter. But it does. Electrical components are inherently noisy, and the quality of those components and there placement makes a difference. Looking at the 3600 makes you think they caught the mistakes on the 3500 and addressed them correctly on the 3600.Take a look for yourself and you be the judge.
Thats very interresting, didnt know they were very different inside, they usually arent. So much around the forums about the 3x00 line and first time big internal differences are mentioned and i wholeheartedly agree that placement and heatsinks matter a lot. Whats the best for each to buy i guess depends on how big a price difference there is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The 3500 is a 7.2 AVR and the 3600 is a 9.2 AVR. You will note that not only did the 3600 use different heat sinks, but it also adds a built-in fan!
I would not be too quick to recommend one over the other without more info (unless you really need the extra 2 channels!). The 3500 was packed and I could see how they would have to go to extremes to accommodate the additional heat of 2 more amps. In this era, when AVR's are designed with a lifespan of 8 to 10 years, you don't have the luxury of believing better heat sinks will buy you another decade of service.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Spend it well spend it once. I am coming to see that a denon avrx3600h would do and spend good money on a nice power amp. It is a shame that a nice receiver worth solid money becomes worthless after a too short time just from technology obsolescence but it is what it is I suppose
If you use external amplification, you can run the Denon (either model) in ECO mode and that will drop the temperature of the AVR by roughly 10 degrees F!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
A lot of multichannel external amps are even more expensive than high end receivers though. It doesn’t save money to spend money necessarily. I’m not saying having amps isn’t cool though.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I agree a better layout is a better layout, but it was suggested that you can hear the difference and I disagree with that part of the statement. I haven't read any accounts of the 3500 running hot or experiencing problems due to heat. Bang for buck It's gonna be hard to beat that price right now.
The 3500 is a 7.2 AVR and the 3600 is a 9.2 AVR. You will note that not only did the 3600 use different heat sinks, but it also adds a built-in fan!
I would not be too quick to recommend one over the other without more info (unless you really need the extra 2 channels!). The 3500 was packed and I could see how they would have to go to extremes to accommodate the additional heat of 2 more amps. In this era, when AVR's are designed with a lifespan of 8 to 10 years, you don't have the luxury of believing better heat sinks will buy you another decade of service.
Pogre, brother I think you may have misread what I said originally. or I did not state it clearly . I stated my thoughts and concerns about the transformer placement and the ridiculous heat sink ( those on the 3500 look like the ones used on those cheap low end pro amps that people complain about over heating and burning out ) I never made the claim you would be able to hear a difference between the 3500 and 3600,. I had said that electrical (electronic) components by themselves are inherently noisy. Which is why the components and layout make a difference in the end. And why some manufactures will use better components in their higher tier over lower tier models.

Personally I just dont think having a transformer crammed under the main board would be a good thing in the long run.( you know all that heat baking the board and components, plus transformers have a tendency to be noisy ) That's the point i was trying to get across, i don't think I or anyone did, would or could say there would be a audible difference of either without comparing side to side. And there may be no difference, then again there may be. Can't say nor did i say there was. Just laying out concerns that I think anyone spending $500 or $1,000 should be aware of. :)

Kew, I don't think i recommended one over the other. ( if I did it was not intentional ) Just gave him something to think about and be aware of. But even if i did somehow unwittingly recommend one vs the other. What's the problem with that? So it's ok that the 3500 was recommended, but not ok someone brings up the 3600. Personally i think a person should get various recommendations, (brands, models, prices etc) all that helps the buyer to investigate and make his or her final decision. People on here make recommendations on products all the time, especially when it comes down to speakers. A lot of people come here seeking recommendations, as they should. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you want th best for what you are willing to spend, it really seems like the next big update will be to HDMI spec in the 2020 release cycle... so maybe if you can play the long game and wait 2 years, you get the discounted price starting Summer 2021 for something that then should easily (*knocks on wood) cover several years of upcoming releases.
I have accepted this as my path... new HDMI protocol as well as stabilization to the multi-channel receiver market. *fingers crossed
It will, of course, not be this simple. However, in my mind: I will be able to get a 16-channel AVR with a seven channel, fully assignable amp, Dirac Live with Bass Management Module, and a Rootbeer Lollipop. All for $1995, MSRP. Marked down to $1249 the following summer! :p

:cool:

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
If you want th best for what you are willing to spend, it really seems like the next big update will be to HDMI spec in the 2020 release cycle... so maybe if you can play the long game and wait 2 years, you get the discounted price starting Summer 2021 for something that then should easily (*knocks on wood) cover several years of upcoming releases.
I have accepted this as my path... new HDMI protocol as well as stabilization to the multi-channel receiver market. *fingers crossed
It will, of course, not be this simple. However, in my mind: I will be able to get a 16-channel AVR with a seven channel, fully assignable amp, Dirac Live with Bass Management Module, and a Rootbeer Lollipop. All for $1995, MSRP. Marked down to $1249 the following summer! :p

:cool:
Man doesn't seem like that long ago when 5.1 was the oh wow. Now were talking 16 channels. Cant imagine what will come after that.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Watch out, don't fu… with Telly, You know he loves you baby. ;)
Game represent game... I'm old enough... barely... but I remember. ;)
Telly... Or Krugman as Quincy? Perhaps some Starsky and Hutch? Or maybe some right proper old school CHiPs!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis