What is your favourite release?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A rather interesting twist to this story, if I may; I've named a band here a couple of times - Boy & Bear - that I really like but they don't sound very good. I remember @lovinthehd saying something along the lines of; mids this bad will not go through my system:D

I found myself looking for a vinyl copy just to lower the "glare" (excuse my French) of the CD. But the vinyl goes for 60$ (nooo way).
Faintly remember the band....maybe that's why :)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
All you experts, I'm looking for a well recorded Sidney Bechet albums. If you have anything to recommend, please do so. Of course, I prefer a remaster if it's well and respectfully done.

As far as my recommendations go; you HAVE to hear this (I bet most of you already did, but if I reach one of you who still hasn't I'll be very happy):
1558444211532.png

Few words I feel I have to say. I'm not a big fan (meaning I'm no fan at all) of symphony orchestras playing popular culture music. I usually find it very pretentious and petit-bourgeois. It feels like forcing what Stuart Hall would denote as "formal complexity" upon the "low-art" in order to justify the fact that you like it and you couldn't admit it otherwise. For example, I never could stand what London Philharmonic did to a bunch of popular art.

I find none of that here. This is devotion at its purest. An effort to respectfully recreate the soundtrack of some of our favorite movies with no attempt to make into something it isn't.

This was a true joy!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can only imagine listening to Morricone with the spaghetti western on screen...just seems no point otherwise :) If I can find this on spotify I'll give it a try, tho.

ps It is on spotify and I did try but....not my cup o'tea at least not right now. Going back to what I was listening to, Hammond Heroes (B3 Organ Grooves). Thanks, tho.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Can only imagine listening to Morricone with the spaghetti western on screen...just seems no point otherwise :) If I can find this on spotify I'll give it a try, tho.
There's a Blue-ray DVD of this. It is really fun to watch. The lady conductor is lovely and all the instruments they use to recreate the sounds from the OST, like this for wind:
1558470147188.png

I enjoyed playing it on the projector with sound coming from the B&W 802 Matrix I mentioned few days ago.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There's a Blue-ray DVD of this. It is really fun to watch. The lady conductor is lovely and all the instruments they use to recreate the sounds from the OST, like this for wind:
View attachment 29557
I enjoyed playing it on the projector with sound coming from the B&W 802 Matrix I mentioned few days ago.
Yep a blu-ray would be nice to look at while listening (but blu-rays aren't dvds).

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
(but blu-rays aren't dvds).
I know, it's the way we colloquially call these disks in my language. We'd say there's a DVD and then there's a blu-ray DVD. It's probably easier for the people to picture the difference. But I know it's not DVD. It just stuck with us that way.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
All you experts, I'm looking for a well recorded Sidney Bechet albums. If you have anything to recommend, please do so. Of course, I prefer a remaster if it's well and respectfully done.
Regarding Sidney Bechet, I can definitely recommend an Italian compilation, 1991's Blues In Thirds (1940-1941) [Label/Catalogue # Giants Of Jazz CD 53105], one of his supposedly most productive periods. SQ is pretty good, considering the release date. Probably a straight master tape to disc transfer. There's no indication that it was remastered.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Regarding Sidney Bechet, I can definitely recommend an Italian compilation, 1991's Blues In Thirds (1940-1941) [Label/Catalogue # Giants Of Jazz CD 53105], one of his supposedly most productive periods. SQ is pretty good, considering the release date. Probably a straight master tape to disc transfer. There's no indication that it was remastered.
You really gave it some time. Thank you !!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Anniversary renditions of Metallica - Master of Puppets and ...And Justice For All are very good and I highly recommend them.

I fined them meaty, hefty, loud when they need to be, soft in quiet parts, a lot of detail and definition. I think these remasters are done very well. I had these on tapes and that was a disaster.:cool:

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
If anyone's interested in Mike Oldfield, I think his own remasters are probably the best you're going to get for his music. It's what he did for Warner in 2014. I was comparing vinyl, early CD's and these remasters. I find them to have good dynamic range (of course, I wouldn't really expect Mike to go into the loudness wars), from minute whisperings to the crescendos… Really well done. In this collection you also get some of the original stereo mastering from the years the album was published so you can also compare these. For my ears; Mike knew what he was doing and why. It's all just light touches, some cleaning and the result is good.

I'm talking about stereo. Don't care much for mult.ch.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I'm talking about stereo. Don't care much for mult.ch.
You obviously haven't dealt with what I call the Mono-Chromatic Boys :) who believe that only the early mono masters are the true representation of the music before the mid-60's. And I get it. Most of the bands/artists of that era (Beatles, Stones, etc.) concentrated on selling singles, mono 45rpm discs, not albums. Stereo mixes were an afterthought for the early and few audiophile consumers that existed and more expensive.

George Martin himself has stated in a lot of interviews that John Lennon especially and Paul McCartney would lose interest in the stereo mix after the mono master was completed and he would be left to his own devices to mix it whichever way he pleased. To this day quite a few vinyl record collectors will pay a premium price for those mono album pressings.

Personally I'm in agreement with you, with a preference for 2-chanell stereo. I've A/B'd many songs of the early 60's in both mono/stereo and for me the stereo mixes always sound better.

I have a friend who goes ga-ga for multi-channel pressings and it just doesn't sound natural to me. Reminds me of the Quadraphonic vinyl craze which fortunately died a natural death in the mid to late 70's for various reasons, with the cost of replacing the equipment (receiver/amps, vinyl cartridge) and adding two more speakers, the most obvious issue.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
For example. The Beatles - Penny Lane

Mono Mix

Stereo Mix

To me it's a no-brainier. Long Live Stereo! :p

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
A member of the Audio Bullshit group on Facebook revealed to me that Steve Wilson also did some remasters of Yes albums. Of course I had to jump on it. Those were the records I first fell in love when I was a kid hearing my father playing them.

I just love these remasters. I think Wilson is doing a great job.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Carpenters, album titled, Horizon.
It's one that the two actually had a hand in producing and recording. By that meaning Richard Carpenter the brother of the two siblings actually did a lot of the arrangements. He was the Master mind behind their music, he knew what his Sister Karen was capable of. With the right music he could bring out the best in his Sister's voice. You still can get that album on vinyl. I have it on vinyl 30 + years old still sounds as good as the day I opened it up.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
It's one that the two actually had a hand in producing and recording. By that meaning Richard Carpenter the brother of the two siblings actually did a lot of the arrangements. He was the Master mind behind their music, he knew what his Sister Karen was capable of. With the right music he could bring out the best in his Sister's voice. You still can get that album on vinyl. I have it on vinyl 30 + years old still sounds as good as the day I opened it up.
So no other versions but vinyl? Was there more than one edition?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
:cool::cool:
Well, some good news, perhaps:
1566062514609.png

I'll try to get it and give it a listen.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Soooo... Your favourite? That's the name of this thread. Which one do you prefer? I'll try to get that one.
Vinyl!!..because it has some songs on the LP that you can't find on any CD or anywheres else, at least not that I know of. My Son is holding all my LP's from the early seventies to the mid-80s. I will try to get ahold of that Vinyl. But from what the CD has in title songs A&B side looks like the same songs. It's been quite some time since I gave it a spin. Umm December of last year I think the last time I gave it a spin.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis