What is your favourite release?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
After having a major HD fail, this was a treasure to find my way around. It was as if I knew I'd need such a guide.;)

@Ponzio That Beatles recomm is most welcome.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Close between the LP and CD Al Stewart's Year of the Cat. I have a decent TT and phono cart (Rega) and a newer NAD cd player. I think it depends on the condition of the LP and where the track is physically located. The first track on an album is usually the best sounding and that's where this track is located. I can see why some peeps prefer the sound of the LP.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Close between the LP and CD Al Stewart's Year of the Cat. I have a decent TT and phono cart (Rega) and a newer NAD cd player. I think it depends on the condition of the LP and where the track is physically located. The first track on an album is usually the best sounding and that's where this track is located. I can see why some peeps prefer the sound of the LP.
Thank you davidscott!

What would you say is the winner between those? Be as subjective as you want. Subjective is most welcome here.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
After a long search (and it was a long one, really),I ended up agreeing with @TLS Guy about this recording being the best set of Beethoven's Symphonies out there:

Beethoven: Symphonies / Vanska, Minnesota Orchestra

Beethoven / Minnesota Orchestra / Vanska
Release Date:
08/26/2008
Label: Bis
Composer: Ludwig van Beethoven
Conductor: Osmo Vänskä
Orchestra/Ensemble: Minnesota Orchestra

I thank TLS once again, I consider this to be invaluable find.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Do you prefer "no noise" remasters? I see some nay sayers, but it could be just some audio-purists. Some don't even wanna split tracks when ripping their vinyl as they see it as meddling.

It is closely related to this topic of album releases, I didn't want to start what would be a short lived thread.

Last edited:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Do you prefer "no noise" remasters? I see some nay sayers, but it could be just some audio-purists. Some don't even wanna split tracks when ripping their vinyl as they see it as meddling.
What do you mean by "no noise" remasters? No analog hum from the master analog tapes? If so, I'm all for it :)

Even as a young man when my music/audio fanaticism started I was always annoyed by the analog hum between tracks and the silent parts of songs where it would bleed through, combined with some of the "noise" generated by the vinyl medium (LP's, 45's, cassette's, reel-to-reel) or the cartridge/needle, would drive me nuts. Even when I upgraded to a Technics/Dual/Onkyo pro turntable(s) with a Audio Technica/Shure cartridge(s) I could still notice it.

The introduction of CD's was wholly welcomed by me, though the initial releases left a lot to be desired, SQ (sound quality) wise. That's why the vinyl resurgence nowadays is totally baffling to me.

I understand the human brain/ear's preference for the "warmth" of an analog recording, that's why a lot of bands reverted to recording in analog again and then transferring it to a digital signal/format, after complaints that the recordings were too "pure" and could be sibilant at times when recorded in digital format.

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
What do you mean by "no noise" remasters? No analog hum from the master analog tapes? If so, I'm all for it :)
Yes, exactly that. I'm seeing a certain crowd attributing low level of performance to authenticity. I really don't belong there. Some artists put the crackling sound of vinyl to their new-date CD recordings (Bjork comes to mind), then and only then I see it as a part of the song.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you davidscott!

What would you say is the winner between those? Be as subjective as you want. Subjective is most welcome here.
Since I cant say a tie which it virtually is I guess Id give it to the CD because of the lead in noise on the LP. No clicks or pops on this LP song and I actually kind of like the lead in noise. Ok back to a tie but only because it is the first track and in very good condition. Maybe a higher rez digital source would beat them both but I don't currently have access to one.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
You may want to consider visiting The Steve Hoffman Forums ... sorry Gene:p ... to get opinions about certain artis(s)/release(s). They're really fanatical about this stuff.
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/forums/music-corner.2/
I know about those threads, but they have a lot of "audiophile" members so you can't really rely on their advices. You might end up buying something that got a heap of praises and it's still crappy, because on Hoffman forums you have a lot of people who are purists or think remasters shouldn't exist or even when they're done good, the original is better or LP record crackling is desirable...

When I mentioned the "NO no-noise" crowd, it was from Hoffman's forums. Although I do try to get what I can out of there. Thank you.

This table is a little bit confusing to me. It seems to deal only in loudness and it seems that green color code (usually used to denote good) is attributed to the louder issues. I might be reading something wrong.

Anyway, my problem with U2 - War is not loudness. I don't even like the first LP pressing. The mids and high-mids are unbearable. They are very pronounced, metaly and ill-defined. Like on a TV from 80' with a mono speaker and not from a good producer.

I'm not a fan of the band (I actually don't like them at all), but this one song I have to make an exception for is New Year's Day and it's on that album.

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Pronounced and ill defined sound is one of the characteristics of music with high dynamic range compression.

The link I provided will help you avoiding buying a version that is overly compressed. There are other factors this doesn't cover (like soundstage, fidelity, etc) but it is my experience that recording engineers usually get this right if they're smart enough to avoid the temptation of high dynamic range compression. There are exceptions to this, such as Steve Wilson remasters which are mostly superb.

DR compression isn't the same as loudness. Think of it more as a lack of range in individual and collective instruments; musicality if you will.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
I mostly listen to classical music (95%+). As to @killdozzer's question of music that could qualify in this category:

CD/SACD/LP Demo Material to Evaluate High Fidelity Audio

I would recommend virtually anything on the 2L Nordic Sound label. Their recordings are done at 352/24 and careful attention is paid to the recording location, position of performers and mike arrays.

I'm sure I could bore the hell out of everyone talking about classical musical labels, but this is more to the point of the general posting:

I spent a year in Seattle in 1981 and developed a friendship with an individual who loved Pat Benatar and Rush, and he got me hooked. I have yet to buy a Pat Benatar CD that is not so overly condensed that I can listen to it for more than a few minutes. The same with Rush. However, at HDTracks.com they have Rush's "Spirit of the Radio" as a 96/24 download. Info on the site states:

Mastered by Andy Van Dette from Masterdisk from the original masters through analog console, equalizers and compressors before being recaptured at 96kHz.

This FLAC file sounds amazing, and for anyone who wants a copy of "Spirit of the Radio" I can promise you won't go wrong with this download.

Last edited:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Does anyone know of a good U2 - War remaster?
U2 productions have always been a mixed bag with Eno, Daniel Lanois, etc. at the helm or in collaboration with U2. I was an early fan with The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree and up to 1991 but they got more & more full of themselves and I gave up on them. They would still have the occasional good song but nothing that kept me on as a fan.

I have a decent discography and found this 1998 remastered version from a 2-CD Best of “New Year’s Day”.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuzzS1BGAuKtiOtGTch1lUU9i8oSHw

The latter remasters (late 2000’s) are hopelessly compressed. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
I mostly listen to classical music (95%+). As to @killdozzer's question of music that could qualify in this category:

CD/SACD/LP Demo Material to Evaluate High Fidelity Audio

I would recommend virtually anything on the 2L Nordic Sound label. Their recordings are done at 352/24 and careful attention is paid to the recording location, position of performers and mike arrays.

I'm sure I could bore the hell out of everyone talking about classical musical labels, but this is more to the point of the general posting:

I spent a year in Seattle in 1981 and developed a friendship with an individual who loved Pat Benatar and Rush, and he got me hooked. I have yet to buy a Pat Benatar CD that is not so overly condensed that I can listen to it for more than a few minutes. The same with Rush. However, at HDTracks.com they have Rush's "Spirit of the Radio" as a 96/24 download. Info on the site states:

Mastered by Andy Van Dette from Masterdisk from the original masters through analog console, equalizers and compressors before being recaptured at 96kHz.

This FLAC file sounds amazing, and for anyone who wants a copy of "Spirit of the Radio" I can promise you won't go wrong with this download.
I really wish that I liked classical music (the closest I've come is prog rock, noting that founders like Rick Wakeman were a classical musicians first).

The recording, mixing and mastering processes of classical music are generally waaay ahead of rock and other forms of contemporary music.

Very jealous...

Last edited:
GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
U2 productions have always been a mixed bag with Eno, Daniel Lanois, etc. at the helm or in collaboration with U2. I was an early fan with The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree and up to 1991 but they got more & more full of themselves and I gave up on them..
Yeah, could you imagine being an engineer and having Bono's ego in the booth? It would be like trying to distribute bottles of water to the needy moments after Sting's helicopter lands!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you all for such precious details. @Joe B I've been through that thread and I liked it, but the point of this thread is somewhat different. Certain records are golden standards for evaluating high fidelity audio, but than there's others, as you don't always listen to a couple of records that are well mastered, and those others you have a hard time finding a decent master/remaster of, but you like them and want to listen to them (Boy & Bear is my example of that - I like their songs, lyrics and ideas, but it's very "ear-gnawing" to listen to them).

This thread is a place where people can recommend their favourite and otherwise bad sounding albums/bands IF they found a decent remaster. It's like; "finally, a good sounding remaster of (insert a name of the band).

@GrimSurfer thanks for the explanation! A question; should I go for the green ones or the red ones?

@Ponzio you're a treasure trove and always so selfless in sharing. Thanks!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
U2 productions have always been a mixed bag with Eno, Daniel Lanois, etc. at the helm or in collaboration with U2. I was an early fan with The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree and up to 1991 but they got more & more full of themselves and I gave up on them. They would still have the occasional good song but nothing that kept me on as a fan.

I have a decent discography and found this 1998 remastered version from a 2-CD Best of “New Year’s Day”.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuzzS1BGAuKtiOtGTch1lUU9i8oSHw

The latter remasters (late 2000’s) are hopelessly compressed. Hope this helps.
Better than most. It is loud (my foobar says -10db) but it's better than most.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis