The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Just when I caught up to a 1:2 ratio for DTS:X vs Atmos on actual BDs (32 vs 64), Mortal Engines 3D with Atmos arrives. ;)

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I just watched Ralph Breaks the Internet in 3D with Atmos remuxed to it. I liked the movie. It was fun and had lots of retro moments along with some Ready Player One type things. The 3D was very good to excellent, IMO with a few notable popouts along the way. The Atmos soundtrack was...meh. Cranked up to -3dB it sounded OK, but there were only a few small bits with notable overhead or rear sounds, at least until the end credits which sounded great, like a "song bubble" all around me. Decent showcase for 3D. Not a great soundtrack, overall.

Then I watched The Boss Baby in 3D with DTS Master HD 7.1 upmixed with Neural X. Decent soundtrack mix with some noticeable rear use, but nothing to write home about. The 3D was really great, though with loads of 3D objects flying out of the screen throughout. The story was OK, not laugh out loud funny for the most part, but it was more of a grinner type humor (for me at least).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
NeuralX has the rain effects down hard.

I was watching an episode of Bosch. When it started raining I thought it was raining outside my house. :D

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
NeuralX has the rain effects down hard.

I was watching an episode of Bosch. When it started raining I thought it was raining outside my house. :D
The question is whether it's supposed to sound like it's raining in the room rather than "outside" the house. I suppose it depends on what's being shown on-screen too, though.... ;)

I find a lot of rain effects sound like there's a glass dome above my head being pattered (i.e. real rain is heard when it hits the ground or whatever surface and thus many movies sound like they really want you to notice the overhead speakers with rain, but it should really be more the thunder up there and the rain all around on the bed level.

Meanwhile, I've got "Get Out" (4K UHD with DTS:X) and "Don't Breathe" (only 5.1, but it has ringing endorsements at AVS for incredible sounds and bass) coming tomorrow.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The question is whether it's supposed to sound like it's raining in the room rather than "outside" the house. I suppose it depends on what's being shown on-screen too, though.... ;)

I find a lot of rain effects sound like there's a glass dome above my head being pattered (i.e. real rain is heard when it hits the ground or whatever surface and thus many movies sound like they really want you to notice the overhead speakers with rain, but it should really be more the thunder up there and the rain all around on the bed level.

Meanwhile, I've got "Get Out" (4K UHD with DTS:X) and "Don't Breathe" (only 5.1, but it has ringing endorsements at AVS for incredible sounds and bass) coming tomorrow.
Yeah,don’t breathe has a great track. Bass is surprisingly deep. Unexpected but very welcome and well done. Get out is a mind Fukk if I’ve ever seen one. Pretty good though. Definitely outside the box. Like twilight zone.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

I personally don’t like the rain dome thing either. I find it a little distracting. I’ve been waiting to watch underworld(can’t remember which one. Edit later). There’s a scene where they’re in a car in heavy rain and it’s pounding on the roof. My old 7.3 system did justice to the scene but never 100%. Always kind of more like a halo of rain. The scene goes in and out of the car and I’ve been waiting to see what dts-NX does with it.

Also want to try don’t breathe again since the .4 addition.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I just watched the entire Bourne series over a couple days in DTS-NX. The tracks do get better as they go, but very well done altogether. Could use a little more bass. Maybe a little more deep bass too, but I’m picking nits. NX did a nice job with already good tracks.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Snuck magnificent 7 in a few days ago too. Also in DTS-NX. Don’t remember NX putting a lot of stuff overhead but the soundtrack is very well done overall and during the scene with the Gatlin gun, there’s stuff flying EVERYWHERE, including overhead. A few scenes with some great bass too. One where Denzel shoots his pistol, and it’s like eight straight at the camera, my whole room and body are just assaulted. Good film.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Snuck magnificent 7 in a few days ago too. Also in DTS-NX. Don’t remember NX putting a lot of stuff overhead but the soundtrack is very well done overall and during the scene with the Gatlin gun, there’s stuff flying EVERYWHERE, including overhead. A few scenes with some great bass too. One where Denzel shoots his pistol, and it’s like eight straight at the camera, my whole room and body are just assaulted. Good film.
Yeah, there are some overhead sound effects scenes. But overall, I can't recall too many overhead effects scenes for this movie either.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just watched the entire Bourne series over a couple days in DTS-NX. The tracks do get better as they go, but very well done altogether. Could use a little more bass. Maybe a little more deep bass too, but I’m picking nits. NX did a nice job with already good tracks.
I bet NeuralX did a better job with the overhead sounds than the actual DTSX.

I watched the Bourne BD in DTSX and couldn't really recall much OH sounds, even a lot less than Magnificent Seven.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah the scene was in a mobile-home or trailer. So the rain was splashing on the roof.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
GET OUT in DTS:X has arrived and Don't Breathe in 5.1 (supposed to have great bass and surround use even so from the reviews I read). That makes 33 DTS:X and 67 Atmos (not counting extra streaming ones on iTunes for Atmos) and still just 10 for Auro-3D (not likely to go higher unless something radically changes with that company; they seem quite dead).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
GET OUT in DTS:X has arrived and Don't Breathe in 5.1 (supposed to have great bass and surround use even so from the reviews I read). That makes 33 DTS:X and 67 Atmos (not counting extra streaming ones on iTunes for Atmos) and still just 10 for Auro-3D (not likely to go higher unless something radically changes with that company; they seem quite dead).
And all 10 Auro3D movies are from Europe, right? :D

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I just got Venom 4K for $13 so I'll soon have Atmos added to my 3D copy. :D

Meanwhile, I got a compliment on the RPF forums (I collect movie props now it seems) from a guy that claims to be one of the "fathers of Dolby Atmos" who looked at my home theater photos (I posted them all plus props there). Of course, it's the Internet and he's a "new" member and it could be anyone, but I like the idea of one of the creators of Dolby Atmos approving of my hybrid 11.1.6 setup and layout. ;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Watched Sicario last night. Excellent track all the way around.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just got Venom 4K for $13 so I'll soon have Atmos added to my 3D copy. :D

Meanwhile, I got a compliment on the RPF forums (I collect movie props now it seems) from a guy that claims to be one of the "fathers of Dolby Atmos" who looked at my home theater photos (I posted them all plus props there). Of course, it's the Internet and he's a "new" member and it could be anyone, but I like the idea of one of the creators of Dolby Atmos approving of my hybrid 11.1.6 setup and layout. ;)
How many speakers does he have in his Atmos system? :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
“13 Hours” comes out on 4K Atmos 6/11. Hopefully it will have some nice overhead sound effects.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis