The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I love to suspend disbelief, but number two was definitely #2. I’m a car guy, and I agree that the first film captured some of the culture(albeit mostly ricers, and some less realistic technical stuff).
Fun mindless stuff for sure. I also like Tokyo drift and it’s actually the only one I own(save for stuff in my dvr) ironically I’m watching NCIS NO, which features the lead in TD. Funny...
Yeah, the first movie was kind of a joke in some respects so you had to ignore some things to enjoy it.

"Too Soon" with the Volkswagen (no such thing as too soon with nitrous sprayers! You spray continuously once up to speed; it's not turbo boost from Knight Rider.... :D )

How the HELL does Vin Diesel know if Paul Walker is double clutching or not? I didn't realize he had Jedi force sense and could tell what his foot is doing in the car behind him while he's racing at high speed. :D Besides, if he's planning on doing a lot of racing, he should probably have a dog gear transmission anyway and just jam the thing without a clutch to save time on shifts (hell if it were made today, he should have a double clutch automatic if he actually wants to win the race; personally I don't enjoy them as I like full control of the car at all times, but then I don't race either so....).

They shouldn't be wasting space in the trunk for a stereo if they're racing either....(or at least pull most of it out first).

I'm sure there was more, but I haven't seen it in a few months and I've got to get some sleep.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, the first movie was kind of a joke in some respects so you had to ignore some things to enjoy it.

"Too Soon" with the Volkswagen (no such thing as too soon with nitrous sprayers! You spray continuously once up to speed; it's not turbo boost from Knight Rider.... :D )

How the HELL does Vin Diesel know if Paul Walker is double clutching or not? I didn't realize he had Jedi force sense and could tell what his foot is doing in the car behind him while he's racing at high speed. :D Besides, if he's planning on doing a lot of racing, he should probably have a dog gear transmission anyway and just jam the thing without a clutch to save time on shifts (hell if it were made today, he should have a double clutch automatic if he actually wants to win the race; personally I don't enjoy them as I like full control of the car at all times, but then I don't race either so....).

They shouldn't be wasting space in the trunk for a stereo if they're racing either....(or at least pull most of it out first).

I'm sure there was more, but I haven't seen it in a few months and I've got to get some sleep.
Dude, the lack of actual car knowledge in the first movies turned me off of them big time the driving is the only saving grace.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Yeah, a guy could go on for a looong time. But that’s true for many films. But parachuting in cars out of a plane? Oh yeah, all day!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Dude I just got done watching K-PAX with my parents they've never seen it before. I tell you what I forgot how much I loved that movie. They totally enjoyed it that was cool

I had it recorded from HBO on the DVR. It still sounded fantastic

Man I am still so so glad I bought those Klipsch RP8000f's. I couldn't have gotten it to sound like that before.

The more I listen to them the more impressed I am

Good times for sure

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I watched Serenity in DTS:X last night. The review I read said it was too much louder and crazier. They must be nuts. It sounded pretty good, overall. I thought the vocals were a little gritty sounding. Overall surround use was good. There was several moments of direct overhead sound, but they were really dispersed (giant ship landing on top of room would be, I suppose),but lots of "high in the air" bits and loads of behind you (rear surround use) that wasn't in the 5.1 previous version (obviously). Overall, it was good, but not amazing.

I then watched American Made in DTS:X. I read it had tons of overhead use being a movie mostly about flying. Yeah, it was weird. There were many moments were the planes flew "low on the screen" and sure enough, the movie had them fly "low through the room" (I'm sorry, but having a plane sound like it's flying through my head is a bit disconcerting (yet kinda cool anyway) to say the least. There were also many moments of overhead sound too, but the coolest was actually damn near impossible to pinpoint. Every time Tom Cruise is standing near the woods you'd hear this bird yakking really loud and it just sounded like it was "somewhere" overhead but damn realistic. I thought a bird landed on my chimney top (not kidding, that happens a LOT; they can't get in, but it comes down to the theater room through the outboard fireplace like the soup can phones). I actually got up and walked up to all the speakers and listened and the bird was in ALL of them, but louder in the top ones and somehow totally diffuse where it sounded like a pin-point sound, but wasn't at all and thus couldn't be localized. It was damn cool sounding, though. The movie probably wasn't a repeat watcher, but was interesting for one view for sure.

I next tried Raiders of the Lost Ark in 5.1 Neural X at REFERENCE volume. Oh yeah. It's THX. For a 5.1 mix of an old movie, it sounded pretty damn good and definitely not "too loud" or "harsh sounding" at reference level (no trouble hearing everything from the back of the room seat). CRANK IT BABY! Neural X worked its magic. When Indy is in the cave to get the fertility idol at the beginning of the movie, you can hear the water dripping overhead (better effect than half the Atmos stuff/X stuff I've watched lately). Not a lot of overhead stuff overall, but it's still one of my favorite movies (just did a transfer off the Blu-Ray overnight as I realized I had the iTunes 1080p version (I used to be able to remove the decryption at 1080p; now it only works at 720p which isn't very useful) which on my old 720p projector looked better as the grain was less noticeable, but here the 1080p BD was definitely sharper looking in about 75% of the scenes (a few were pretty darn grainy though).

I got two more Staff of Ra medallions in today (Acme "Imam" version and a "German" version in pewter with less detail and only on one side save the nazi symbol on the back and a serial number). I just wanted the "Landron" bases they came with (which if subtracted means I got the medallions for $25 and $15 respectively, which went for $100 and $55 originally). I just need the "Raven Bar" version now. :D (and an actual ark ;) )

Staff Of Raw German Front S.jpgStaff Of Raw German Back S.jpgStaff of Ra Acme Landron Front S.jpgStaff of Ra Acme Landron Back S.jpg

Last edited:
M

ml9000

Audiophyte
Fun mindless stuff for sure. I also like Tokyo drift and it’s actually the only one I own(save for stuff in my dvr) ironically I’m watching NCIS NO, which features the lead in TD. Funny...

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
For some reason NCIS NO seems a lil cheesey. Like it's the B version of all the others. One thing I didn't realize the lead dude how old he got. I watch Star Trek Enterprise it comes on at 11 pm on the heroes and icon channel. He is a lot younger.

Last edited:
VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I watched E.T. in DTS:X. It's not the most aggressive soundtrack I've heard. They clearly wanted to keep it within reason of the original, I think. It did have plenty of discrete sounds in key places/action scenes (including a lot of sounds near the front wides instead of the side surrounds in several places) and when the ship flies off in the beginning, it does a GREAT overhead flyby (probably one of the best I've heard for a sheer giant object flying across the ceiling) so at least it had it's moments. The picture on even the 2K disc is STUNNING (sharp as any newer movie I've seen, I think). The movie was certainly funnier than I remember (I don't think I've seen it other than some snippets since the theater in 1982).

I also watched Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald in 3D + Atmos muxed in from the 2D disc. STUNNING 3D (stuff flying out of the screen left and right at the +5 depth I needed to get the background aligned for no crosstalk) and it had a pretty good Atmos soundtrack for the most part. Lots of overhead and pans all over the bed area of the room as well. It wasn't Mission Impossible Fallout Atmos good, but certainly well done (I think the original Harry Potters were mixed a bit better in DTS:X, though, but it's not far off).

I've got 10 more 3D movies on the way.... (should bring me to 182).

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
For those of you that use a PC to watch Netflix in Atmos, how does it show on your receiver? I've been messing around with it and am only getting 5.1 even though the title has an Atmos badge. Atmos is enabled in the sound control panel. I've read online that it can be hit or miss.

I'm looking at you @AcuDefTechGuy.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For those of you that use a PC to watch Netflix in Atmos, how does it show on your receiver? I've been messing around with it and am only getting 5.1 even though the title has an Atmos badge. Atmos is enabled in the sound control panel. I've read online that it can be hit or miss.

I'm looking at you @AcuDefTechGuy.
For PC, I believe only Windows 10 supports Netflix Atmos.

For other PCs, you would need a friend who has a Netflix Atmos Device who can download those Atmos contents for you. Then you can play those downloaded files on Kodi. Haha. :D

But from my experience, the Netflix Atmos contents are usually pathetic. They sound like FAKE Atmos contents to me since I usually don't hear anything overhead even if my Yamaha CX-A5100 shows "Dolby Atmos" on the LCD.

So I say don't even bother messing with Netflix Atmos since it's probably fake. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
For PC, I believe only Windows 10 supports Netflix Atmos.

For other PCs, you would need a friend who has a Netflix Atmos Device who can download those Atmos contents for you. Then you can play those downloaded files on Kodi. Haha. :D

But from my experience, the Netflix Atmos contents are usually pathetic. They sound like FAKE Atmos contents to me since I usually don't hear anything overhead even if my Yamaha CX-A5100 shows "Dolby Atmos" on the LCD.

So I say don't even bother messing with Netflix Atmos since it's probably fake. :D
Easy enough. It seems I get the same output on my Shield TV so I'll just use this box for Kodi only. Thanks.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Or you guys could try out them nice virtual surround speakers! From what I have read they disappeared seamlessly. They require no wires. Some say it's the best ever. I've researched virtual speakers but can't seem to find any. :p

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Or you guys could try out them nice virtual surround speakers! From what I have read they disappeared seamlessly. They require no wires. Some say it's the best ever. I've researched virtual speakers but can't seem to find any. :p
If I shut off my overhead speakers in my Marantz AVR amp setup, DTS Virtual X becomes available. It works almost shockingly well for the MLP or centered seats. I can't hear any real difference with the DTS:X demos including the moving ball. Sadly, it doesn't work with Atmos due to Dolby's licensing, but a Neural X upmix will work if you use PCM (Sadly, it won't do an upmix with ANY bitstream Dolby signal). With speaker callouts you can hear bleedthrough from the bed locations as well as the virtual/apparent locations, but it wasn't noticeable with the real material I tried.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You're out of control! LOL. :D

What's next? Virtual TV? :D

My virtual 16K TV looks totally awesome! :D

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
You're out of control! LOL. :D
What's next? Virtual TV? :D
My virtual 16K TV looks totally awesome! :D
Lolo, I'm just joking around, trying to make a few laugh is all. I did research virtual thing, it's all done electronically so, I guess them audio engineers where thinking, hey let's put virtual surround in AVR's and Pre-Pro's for people who can't afford speakers for a full surround system. Lolo

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
OK, I just watched The Gun In Betty Lou's Handbag (1992) in Dolby Atmos and it was incredible! OK, it wasn't in Atmos. It wasn't incredible either and the movie kind of sucked.... God. I bought it because I liked Penelope Ann Miller back then and I never saw it.... Now I wish I hadn't. Even though she had red hair in that movie and I love red hair (sigh).

Oh I didn't stop there. I have Carlito's Way on the way too (that movie had some acclaim, though so I have better hopes for it at least being a good movie). And I already bought The Freshman, Big Top Pee Wee, Kindergarten Cop, The Shadow and Other People's Money....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
OK, I just watched The Gun In Betty Lou's Handbag (1992) in Dolby Atmos and it was incredible! OK, it wasn't in Atmos. It wasn't incredible either and the movie kind of sucked.... God. I bought it because I liked Penelope Ann Miller back then and I never saw it.... Now I wish I hadn't...
LOL. I was about to pull out my wallet for a second there. :D

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I just got The Last Witch Hunter with DTS:X. The funny thing is that I didn't even realize it had DTS:X. I just wanted to see the movie and it was at a near rental price. Funnier yet, the Lionsgate digital code offered me a choice of where to redeem it including iTunes, which then gave me the 4K Dolby Vision version for free as well.... :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just got The Last Witch Hunter with DTS:X. The funny thing is that I didn't even realize it had DTS:X. I just wanted to see the movie and it was at a near rental price. Funnier yet, the Lionsgate digital code offered me a choice of where to redeem it including iTunes, which then gave me the 4K Dolby Vision version for free as well.... :D
Do you have a 4K Dolby Vision TV or PJ?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis