Best projector between 1k-2k?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I would like to get a projector and screen but know nothing about them. I’m not looking to drop 5k on a projector but a good solid one. Also with screens, not sure on 16:9 or 2:35.1. Need help on projector and pros n cons of both screens

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
You need to provide more information about the room before help can be achieved.with regards to the aspect ratio it depends on whether you want it fixed

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
You need to provide more information about the room before help can be achieved.with regards to the aspect ratio it depends on whether you want it fixed
I’m believe you’ve commented on my other posts in my subwoofer thread I started. My pics of my basement are on pg7 in that. Listening area is 13ftw x 19ftl n my second row sitting is about 12.5ft from tv, front row seats are almost 9ft from tv. I would like a fixed screen

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I’m believe you’ve commented on my other posts in my subwoofer thread I started. My pics of my basement are on pg7 in that. Listening area is 13ftw x 19ftl n my second row sitting is about 12.5ft from tv, front row seats are almost 9ft from tv. I would like a fixed screen
If your going with a fixed screen, I'd do 16x9 as broadcast sources are primarily that ratio. Is the stated budget for PJ and screen or just PJ? What are your sources? Being a basement I'd assume light control isnt an issue, correct?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
If your going with a fixed screen, I'd do 16x9 as broadcast sources are primarily that ratio. Is the stated budget for PJ and screen or just PJ? What are your sources? Being a basement I'd assume light control isnt an issue, correct?
For the projector. I was thinking 2:35.1 because of movies and was wondering if certain projectors were able to switch or shift lens to fit 16:9 on a 2:35.1 screen. I watch sports and tv besides movies. Lightning isn’t an issue

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I’ve looked up Epson, JVC’s and some other projectors but idk which ones are good. I’ve never had a projector and debating between that or bigger tv

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If I were to buy anything on that budget, I would look for an open box JVC RS420. It will deliver absolutely the best image quality you can get for that level of budget in a good room. Good room means DARK walls, ceiling, and carpet. If you want to go new, then the Epson 4010 is a solid way to go.

2.35 vs. 16:9 is a whole decision/debate. Both the Epson and the JVC can zoom in/out using motorized presets as long as you place the projector properly. But, the projector itself is still a 16:9 projector, so why not just get a bigger screen if you want a bigger 2.35 image? I would go with about a 120" diagonal based on rear row seating, which almost any projector can handle just fine. Get it 16:9 and just like your TV does, when you view 2.35 movies there will be black bars above/below the image. That's life.

A big TV is nice... in your family room. But, in a theater or basement space, a 120" front projection setup is so much more immersive it's crazy. Just a completely different way to enjoy watching.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
If I were to buy anything on that budget, I would look for an open box JVC RS420. It will deliver absolutely the best image quality you can get for that level of budget in a good room. Good room means DARK walls, ceiling, and carpet. If you want to go new, then the Epson 4010 is a solid way to go.

2.35 vs. 16:9 is a whole decision/debate. Both the Epson and the JVC can zoom in/out using motorized presets as long as you place the projector properly. But, the projector itself is still a 16:9 projector, so why not just get a bigger screen if you want a bigger 2.35 image? I would go with about a 120" diagonal based on rear row seating, which almost any projector can handle just fine. Get it 16:9 and just like your TV does, when you view 2.35 movies there will be black bars above/below the image. That's life.

A big TV is nice... in your family room. But, in a theater or basement space, a 120" front projection setup is so much more immersive it's crazy. Just a completely different way to enjoy watching.
Ok thx. Where exactly do you find open box stuff? From what I’ve looked up and read, Epson seems to have very good projectors and what I’ve read on JVC’s is that they’re even better but your going to pay more. I looked at the rs440 n 590 too.

Idk if I could get away with 120in screen. I’ve got 7.5ft wide area where my tv is now and that is where I’d hang the screen. Plus my front two seats are almost 9ft back from tv, don’t you think that’s kinda close? My back row is almost 13ft back from tv. I could up budget up some for projector but really don’t wanna drop a bunch of money on it.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief

Also, this may be a minor issue but with 16:9 screen I’d have to drop the shelf my center sits on right now. I’m able to move it down some but not a huge distance since my avr is underneath it right now but I guess I could rearrange components

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief

Where do I find b-stock JVC’s? How big of screen with front row almost 9ft from tv now n back row is almost 13ft?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Where do I find b-stock JVC’s? How big of screen with front row almost 9ft from tv now n back row is almost 13ft?
AVS Forum has a good classifieds section and you can call and check various stores to see if they have open box units that they are selling for a good price. eBay tends to be a weaker place to go as you are never sure of the quality of the sellers.

I would always recommend someone setup a projector and test it on a wall, with a white sheet or just on the wall before selecting a screen size, but with two rows, I would shoot for a size that fits between the two standard sizes. So, 90" to 150" would be the full typical range. I would lean towards 110" to 120" diagonal.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
AVS Forum has a good classifieds section and you can call and check various stores to see if they have open box units that they are selling for a good price. eBay tends to be a weaker place to go as you are never sure of the quality of the sellers.

I would always recommend someone setup a projector and test it on a wall, with a white sheet or just on the wall before selecting a screen size, but with two rows, I would shoot for a size that fits between the two standard sizes. So, 90" to 150" would be the full typical range. I would lean towards 110" to 120" diagonal.
Appreciate it. You don’t think 110” is to big/much for the first row at almost 9ft?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Typical screen size is between 10" and 12" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance. So, 12*9 is 108", which is right about where many people use it. If you went to 100" or 92" it would take a lot away from the rear row viewing position. It's shocking how quickly people get used to most screen sizes.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Typical screen size is between 10" and 12" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance. So, 12*9 is 108", which is right about where many people use it. If you went to 100" or 92" it would take a lot away from the rear row viewing position. It's shocking how quickly people get used to most screen sizes.
Ok. I’m usually in the back row sitting anyway but if people are sitting in the front I just don’t want it to be to much for them.

Jvc seems like the way to go but 4K is a lot especially right now during Xmas. The epsons are pretty good though?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief

I measured where my tv is hanging now and I’m only able to do a 92 or 100” screen. I have a soffit that covers my ductwork on the right side of the wall that gets in the way of me going bigger. If that dam ductwork wasn’t there I could definitely do 120”, fricking sucks.

I was planning on getting two more vtf3 subs but now I’ve been contemplating with a screen n projector. I think the two subs I got in October were 1750 so that’s why I stated the budget I did but not sure if I can get a screen n projector for that or at least a solid screen n projector. I’d love to get the jvc but that’s probably outta budget unless somehow it drops to 2k which I don’t see happening

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief

Need your feedback on the last couple posts I sent you plz

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
JVC isn't under $3,000 new, but if you look at classifieds and do some searching you may find a b-stock (used) JVC RS420, RS440, DLA570, or DLA590 for around $2,000. IMO, the jump to the quality that JVC offers is worth looking for. But yes, Epson is a solid company with a good reputation.

As for screen size, about the only thing I can recommend is that you consider getting the projector first, then shine an image on your wall to determine screen size that suits you to the most. If you are size limited, then that matters and you may have to live with it.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
JVC isn't under $3,000 new, but if you look at classifieds and do some searching you may find a b-stock (used) JVC RS420, RS440, DLA570, or DLA590 for around $2,000. IMO, the jump to the quality that JVC offers is worth looking for. But yes, Epson is a solid company with a good reputation.

As for screen size, about the only thing I can recommend is that you consider getting the projector first, then shine an image on your wall to determine screen size that suits you to the most. If you are size limited, then that matters and you may have to live with it.
Thx man. Yea the soffit angles down and gets in the way so unfortunately 100” would be the biggest I could get. I’d love to get jvc especially since they are black as my room has all black trim n darker gray walls/ceiling.

If getting an epson, models 4000 and up would be your suggestion? The 6040 I believe is the only one that is black right?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If getting an epson, models 4000 and up would be your suggestion? The 6040 I believe is the only one that is black right?
Epson has a number of black projectors. The 4050, from what I can tell, is the black version of the 4010.

https://epson.com/For-Home/Projectors/Pro-Cinema/Pro-Cinema-4050-4K-PRO-UHD-Projector-with-Advanced-3-Chip-Design-and-HDR/p/V11H932120MB

But, here are the rest...
https://epson.com/For-Home/Projectors/Pro-Cinema/c/h320

Really, the LS10000, 6040, and 4050 are the ones to look at. The 4040 is based on the 4000 from what I can tell.

If you are looking at the LS10000, then you should be looking at a JVC or Sony instead. :)

I did mention the AVS classifieds. While I hate sending people off site, they have things pop up and get sold VERY quickly at reasonable prices.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-front-projector/

Right at the top is a Sony 285ES for $3,000. Another one brand new for $3,100. People with more money than myself, like to upgrade their projectors every year or two. Makes for some great deals!
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-front-projector/3034358-sony-vpl-vw285es-4k-projector-3000-a.html

Everything is budget dependent, but I would try to find the extra cash if I could figure it out. I realize $2000 vs $3000 is a solid 50% difference.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Epson has a number of black projectors. The 4050, from what I can tell, is the black version of the 4010.

https://epson.com/For-Home/Projectors/Pro-Cinema/Pro-Cinema-4050-4K-PRO-UHD-Projector-with-Advanced-3-Chip-Design-and-HDR/p/V11H932120MB

But, here are the rest...
https://epson.com/For-Home/Projectors/Pro-Cinema/c/h320

Really, the LS10000, 6040, and 4050 are the ones to look at. The 4040 is based on the 4000 from what I can tell.

If you are looking at the LS10000, then you should be looking at a JVC or Sony instead. :)

I did mention the AVS classifieds. While I hate sending people off site, they have things pop up and get sold VERY quickly at reasonable prices.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-front-projector/

Right at the top is a Sony 285ES for $3,000. Another one brand new for $3,100. People with more money than myself, like to upgrade their projectors every year or two. Makes for some great deals!
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-front-projector/3034358-sony-vpl-vw285es-4k-projector-3000-a.html

Everything is budget dependent, but I would try to find the extra cash if I could figure it out. I realize $2000 vs $3000 is a solid 50% difference.
I know I’m bugging you but I appreciate your advice. Idk anything about projectors so I need to learn from you or anyone else that knows more than me. This may have to wait until after the holidays, my wife may have my ass since I just bought two new subs in October.

Jvc better than Sony? Just curious. Obviously they make good TVs but I have no idea how their projectors are. That new Sony is 45min away from me but I know my wife ain’t gonna go for that now. Are the elite screens good? I was looking on their site but once again I have no idea about screens

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis