The Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, and Auro-3D Discussion Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Another one that people bad that I actually love is Man of Steel. The DTS upmixes was one of the best I've heard. Effects weather explosions music dialogue overheads were used excellent in this movie. Matter of fact the bass is not known for in this movie at least deep bass but the bass with two f@$!# ing PB 4000's right behind me was out of this world man that movie sounded amazing the other night
I have “Man of Steel” in ATMOS. Will check it out sometime.

The main reason I check out these ATMOS BD is to see how aggressive or prominent the overhead and center speakers are. Also the panning effects.

With regular BD, the bass is usually already great. The Center can great, but sometimes sucks like for “Interstellar” and many movies.

But I am hoping that with all ATMOS BD, the Center dialogue will always be great.

100% realistic or not, I expect plenty of overhead sound effects for all ATMOS BD. Otherwise, what’s the point if there are virtually no overhead sounds at all?

Regular BD can have good panning effects already, but I’m hoping ATMOS can increase the panning effects.

IOW, give us the run for the money. Dazzle us. Put on a good show.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There is a whole world of difference between Twilight and Man of Steel.:p MoS is not that bad a film.:) Compared to BvS, JL are much worse, and not particularly because Henry Cavill.:D Sound on the DC films has been infinitely better than the Marvel offerings of late. If you wish a truly awful Superman film then watch Superman Returns.o_O I won't make any nasty comments about Twilight, we all have bad films we like.:D Let just say there are a fair few in the cast that have done better, before and after them. :cool:

Last night we re-watched The Magnificent Seven (2016). Which see Denzel back with Antoine Fuqua as director. As with the Equaliser, the sound track is only Dts HDMA (at least here in the UK) and like it's predecessor it works well. There are a number of moments, particularly the mine explosions, gun fire and an interesting panning fly, all the first five minutes.:D Overall it is not heavy on the overheads, but they are present and nicely done, especially the music. It's a western, it's never going to have Helicopters whizzing about but the guns echoes, overhead shots and explosions do ok. Additional compensation we have Vincent D'Onofrio "I believe that bear was wearing people's clothes":cool:
I have “Magnificent Seven” in ATMOS, so it’s on my to-do list. :D

“The Quick and the Dead” remastered in ATMOS is also on my list. It seems to have more prominent sound effects, center dialogue, and bass than what I recall.

I saw only a little bit of “King Arthur Legend of the Sword” in ATMOS. I sense that it didn’t have prominent overhead effects. Probably another movie that would work just as well upmixed with DSU or NeuralX.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I have “Magnificent Seven” in ATMOS, so it’s on my to-do list. :D

“The Quick and the Dead” remastered in ATMOS is also on my list. It seems to have more prominent sound effects, center dialogue, and bass than what I recall.

I saw only a little bit of “King Arthur Legend of the Sword” in ATMOS
The Quick and the Dead is one of my all time favorite westerns, easy re-watch anytime.:cool: Early Dicaprio (pre Titanic) as the kid, Sharon as the lady, a young Russell (pre Gladiator) and the awesome Gene, who badly needs to come out of retirement:mad:. However given 1995 it will just doubtless be, a hopefully professionally done, up mix. I doubt they would have remastered the audio.:(

Once again we in the UK is short changed on the audios.:mad: We did get Arthur in atmos, but the cockney nonsense and Beckham it really is one messed up version of the tale by Mr Richie,:eek: who should really be getting on with Sherlock Holmes 3.:p

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The Quick and the Dead is one of my all time favorite westerns, easy re-watch anytime.:cool: Early Dicaprio (pre Titanic) as the kid, Sharon as the lady, a young Russell (pre Gladiator) and the awesome Gene, who badly needs to come out of retirement:mad:. However given 1995 it will just doubtless be, a hopefully professionally done, up mix. I doubt they would have remastered the audio.:(

Once again we in the UK is short changed on the audios.:mad: We did get Arthur in atmos, but the cockney nonsense and Beckham it really is one messed up version of the tale by Mr Richie,:eek: who should really be getting on with Sherlock Holmes 3.:p
I love The Quick and the Dead. Great flick! Still remember renting it one night not realizing how good it would be and then just being blown away! Had to go buy it the next day!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

The 3 10 to Yuma is one of mine!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I have “Man of Steel” in ATMOS. Will check it out sometime.

The main reason I check out these ATMOS BD is to see how aggressive or prominent the overhead and center speakers are. Also the panning effects.

With regular BD, the bass is usually already great. The Center can great, but sometimes sucks like for “Interstellar” and many movies.

But I am hoping that with all ATMOS BD, the Center dialogue will always be great.

100% realistic or not, I expect plenty of overhead sound effects for all ATMOS BD. Otherwise, what’s the point if there are virtually no overhead sounds at all?

Regular BD can have good panning effects already, but I’m hoping ATMOS can increase the panning effects.

IOW, give us the run for the money. Dazzle us. Put on a good show.
Damn I just have Man of Steel on DTS I didn't realize they have an atmos one out I'll have to go rebuy it now!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I’ve never seen that one. I’ll check it out. :)
Some people don't like it because of its more darker tone but Its my favorite Superman movie period. DC kind off went downhill after that except for Wonder Woman and part of it was keeping things dark but I loved that first Superman movie and it just came across as more realistic to me. This would just be more what it would feel like in real life.

I love how in the fight scenes civilians are just scared sh@!!less as he's duking it out with the baddies. I was like that's how it would really be. When gods collide your not gonna be standing around enjoying the action your gonna be cowering around scared out of your mind trying to get to some cover so your a@$! doesn't get squashed!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve only seen about 15 minutes of Quick & Dead Atmos. But it does sound great.

Probably won’t have significantly overhead effects, but the Center Dialogue is strong. The bass is also strong.

Probably watch this after I finish Twilight ATMOS.

It is our duty to report our ATMOS findings no matter how daunting the task. :D

Speaking of Sharon Stone, I wonder if they will remaster Basic Instinct in 4K/ATMOS. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I love The Quick and the Dead. Great flick! Still remember renting it one night not realizing how good it would be and then just being blown away! Had to go buy it the next day!
Well now you’ll have to buy it again in 4K/ATMOS. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Some people don't like it because of its more darker tone but Its my favorite Superman movie period. DC kind off went downhill after that except for Wonder Woman and part of it was keeping things dark but I loved that first Superman movie and it just came across as more realistic to me. This would just be more what it would feel like in real life.

I love how in the fight scenes civilians are just scared sh@!!less as he's duking it out with the baddies. I was like that's how it would really be. When gods collide your not gonna be standing around enjoying the action your gonna be cowering around scared out of your mind trying to get to some cover so your a@$! doesn't get squashed!
One thing that pissed me off about Man of Steel (and probably ruined the whole movie for me) was how Clark Kent’s dad (Kevin Costner) died during the tornado. If I were that fast and strong (Superboy), no way I’m letting some stupid tornado kill my dad.

They should have made him die of a heat attack. Not even Superman could have prevented a heart attack.

But a stupid tornado?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well saying all that about Man of Steel, in general, all these comic book movies are never going to be anywhere near great.

As good as Dark Knight trilogy is, there are some things that made me say, “Really, seriously?” :D

So I’m probably being too harsh. :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
One thing that pissed me off about Man of Steel (and probably ruined the whole movie for me) was how Clark Kent’s dad (Kevin Costner) died during the tornado. If I were that fast and strong (Superboy), no way I’m letting some stupid tornado kill my dad.

They should have made him die of a heat attack. Not even Superman could have prevented a heart attack.

But a stupid tornado?
I agree they f@$!# that part up because I agree there's no way I let my dad die in a f@$!in tornado. Just run out there like your a normal human and act like you guys fall to the ground in some clouds and stuff cover him up with your super body then claim it was a friggin act of God or something

But I get why they did it that way tho. The point they were trying to make wasn't about Superman beimg powerless but also about the sacrifices he would have to make to do the right thing no matter the cost and he'd be powerless to stop that.

Which tied in to the ending which I'm my opinion is way more realistic then the original. He had no choice at the end seriously where would you put somebody that powerful in lockup. There was only one outcome for that fight and head once again forced like his Dad to have to make that sacrifice. No matter what it cost him personally

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I agree they f@$!# that part up because I agree there's no way I let my dad die in a f@$!in tornado. Just run out there like your a normal human and act like you guys fall to the ground in some clouds and stuff cover him up with your super body then claim it was a friggin act of God or something

But I get why they did it that way tho. The point they were trying to make wasn't about Superman beimg powerless but also about the sacrifices he would have to make to do the right thing no matter the cost and he'd be powerless to stop that.

Which tied in to the ending which I'm my opinion is way more realistic then the original. He had no choice at the end seriously where would you put somebody that powerful in lockup. There was only one outcome for that fight and head once again forced like his Dad to have to make that sacrifice. No matter what it cost him personally
Okay, the ending probably made up for that tornado scene. It was very satisfying. :D

When I do rewatch MOS ATMOS, I just need to fast forward the tornado serene and enjoy the rest of the movie.

Probably need to rewind that kill scene at the end a dozen times. Haha. LOL. :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well saying all that about Man of Steel, in general, all these comic book movies are never going to be anywhere near great.

As good as Dark Knight trilogy is, there are some things that made me say, “Really, seriously?” :D

So I’m probably being too harsh. :D
Yeah you have to suspend reality to love those movies I mean there not supposed to be completely realistic there supposed to be fantasy so I always enjoy them the most when I drop my expectations on how realistic it really is Lol:D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay, the ending probably made up for that tornado scene. It was very satisfying. :D

When I do rewatch MOS ATMOS, I just need to fast forward the tornado serene and enjoy the rest of the movie.

Probably need to rewind that kill scene at the end a dozen times. Haha. LOL. :D
S@$! I just can't wait to rewatch it in Atmos cus it sounded epic in dts upmixed!

Plus I've done the final tweaking on the system the last couple weeks and now that I have the levels balanced and subs optimally placed I went the last 3 week's with Audyssey and all eq turned off all of it. And I literally sat up in my chair. I won't go into too much detail it's a post for another thread but my system took a huge boost for the better with it all turned off. Stuff just got epic

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
The 3 10 to Yuma is one of mine!
This actually up mixes quite well with just my Dvd copy.

how Clark Kent’s dad (Kevin Costner) died during the tornado
Don't you get it, he's a hero, but has no superpowers, trying to do the impossible. One final life lesson for the alien space child to connect with humanity.o_O You might as well ask why Uncle Ben has to die in the Maguire Spidermen films. :rolleyes:

:D

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General

The Quick and the Dead, also released in SDDS 8 channels.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Isn’t that the one with 3 center channels? Did any home receivers ever use that format? Or just movie theaters?
Oh your thinking in terms of like Dolby Surround 7.1 which does seem confusing? It was five speaker channels behind the screen and same stereo surround arrangement as SR-D and dts, plus the SW. Sony never wanted to release it for the home they jealousy kept in the cinema pity as sure many would like to listening to the some 200 SDDS 8 channel mixes ever produces the rest of thousands so was jsut SDDS 6ch.

The original SDDS site is no longer been active for several years now but wiki, has 8ch titles list. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_8_channel_SDDS_films

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Quick and the Dead, also released in SDDS 8 channels.
Plenty of loud thunder and rain from overhead.

I heard some girl screaming overhead from the upper level of the bar/hotel.

Music from overhead.

Bullet flying overhead.

Wind blowing overhead.

Powerful bass, especially for a western.

This movie seems to have a lot of rain and thunder Overhead. :D

Overall quite active ATMOS overhead sound effects for a western.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis